August 26th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/26/08

OK folks, it's night two of the Democratic Presidential Convention in Denver... let's hear what you think!

Take a look at our evening buzz for a complete lineup of tonight's speeches... what to expect from Hillary Clinton's speech tonight... see the new ad Sen. McCain released, using Hillary's words (and her 3am ad) against Sen. Obama... all this right smack in the middle of the convention...

Be sure to check out our streaming webcam from the convention floor

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

She knows this country and the issues as well as anyone, better maybe than anyone, full and deep understanding, she just connects.

August 26, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Ron from Philly

Oh.... she is nailing it... I think she really supports Obama. No doubt the party will be united after tonight.

August 26, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Heather

I agree with you Tom.Michelle Obama can't even put on a good poker face.Gee Michelle Obama needs to be reminded that the world is literally watching her.

August 26, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Jolene

Bill Clinton looks very proud of Hillary. I expected Hillary to deliver a good speech tonight and so far she has. Well worth the wait. Nite all.

August 26, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

Lots of talk about why she ran. Not much on why anyone should vote for Obama yet.

August 26, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Hilary is doing her job tonight – building consensus and moving the Democratic agenda forward for a better America.

August 26, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Ron from Philly

Hilary is on point so far... Right out the gate with a call to unite... This is exactly what we needed.

August 26, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Cindy

If Hillary didn't have to do this speech to save her place in the party I doubt that she would be saying any of this!

Cindy...Ga.

August 26, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jolene

"Sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits" Now that line will go down in history for sure.

August 26, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Ken in NC

Hillary is giving this speech for her political future and for Party Unity.

August 26, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Jacqueline, NY

I feeling the same way Hannah. In fact I was just feeling forgiving of her. And I am. And though I am happy that Obama is the nominee, I'm feeling a little sad for her.

August 26, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Tom

I was in shock tonight the whole time Hillary gave her speach and talked about how she was backing OBama and His wife sit there and every time they show her face she looks like she is mad at the world cause hillary is even speaking.. wow talk about unity ... WHATS that word I hear more of another slap in the face to hillary and all her supporters considering she is out there on the stump because she knows what she has to do and Obama's wife sits on the side line making mad .. disgruntled faces..

August 26, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Jolene

Hillary's speech is definitely getting the crowd hyped so far!

August 26, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hillary is obviously being forced to give this speech in order to save her political future and nothing else.

August 26, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Hannah Storm

I am not the biggest Hillary fan but it must be amazing to be in that room right now

Chelsea piece was touching!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Heather

I think I was 19 or 20 when I first voted in a presidential election.I voted for Bill Clinton.I did that again. For me the Clinton's are my Kennedy's.I will always and forever support them.Even with the bad I know them.She is tough and no matter what keeps fighting.She continues to show the world that women can do anything.I look forward to a memorable speech.

August 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Thomas

I dont know who this Montana Governor is but I am truly fired up!!! Governor Schweitzer rocked it!!! I wish I could vote tonight!!!lololo

August 26, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Something tells me that Hillary didn't want to just crack the glass ceiling, but break it for herself. You have to feel for her to some degree. She must be very disappointed.

August 26, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Brenda S.

How do you trust Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton. Both have said that Obama is not qualified to be president. I believe they were being truthful with their statements. Now it appears they have had a change of heart? Why? What do they have to gain from this about face? Well Biden be a running mate and I suppose Hillary wants to stay in the party. So, again I ask "How do we trust Biden, Clinton or Obama for that matter?" Scarry.

August 26, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Kenneth Higgins

Hillary was the only chance for democrats and I have no doubt that most of the political team members picked Clinton and there is this deep disappoinment going on each time poll numbers come up. The polls are EVEN and they get worse for Democrats. But GOPs are not doing much for this. Democrats doing it to themselves one more time. Hillary should have been the nominee and she sure would be the president easily.

August 26, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Debra

Hillary should of been V.P., I voted for hillaryto be Pres., i will always think Hillary should have been Pres., not Obama. when i vote this year, i'll vote indepen. i don't like Obama or Mccain. Hillary will give a great speech tonight. but i don't think it will do any good to the real Clinton voters. Hillary will be my pick always.

August 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Ken in NC

Well the Governor of Montana got the crowd stirred up. NOw we need to kep on keeping on.

August 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Eric Songer

Schweitzer's the Rodney Dangerfield of the Democratic party. I love him

August 26, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  24. angelita

Day 2, and I still waiting for that spark to get the fire going. I will stick around for a few more minutes and see Hillary can deliver the first knock out punch in this boring convention. Even if she gives a heartfelt speech I am still not voting for Obama. I own my vote and I can do whatever I want with it.

August 26, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. carrieinSterling, Va

Obama argues that hedging on the oil market is a major factor in the high prices-he never mentions that his biggest donors are hedge funds.His mocking of McCain on drilling is offensive especially since he voted for the big Bush/Cheney energy bill not McCain. Now he is calling it the Bush/McCain energy bill-more like Bush/Barack energy bill.Releasing oil from our reserve will not lower prices substantially or for any length of time and puts us at risk -no that's a real gimmick.

August 26, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Kenneth Higgins

I heard more of the McCain's name in DNC tonight than Obama's. SPeeches sound cheap and needs real modification. I am not for GOP. I bet theirs will not be any better than Democrats. You know what would be a great "CHANGE" for me that no one is speaking of. Upgrading my FOOD from WalMart to Publix. I don't see anyone speaking of it though. Everybody is all about poll numbers. Once more IT IS NOT WORKING FOR DEMOCRATS. Change your political tactics first and then talk about change in the UNited States. Those polls all TVs and political teams are worried and talking about is even and I will nto be suprised if McCain is over Obama after tonight.

August 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  27. carrieinSterling, Va

Clinton will do what she has to – to save her reputation, but there is no doubt that she beleives(as I do) she is more qualified to be president.But i am also sick of the Obama expectation that -even though they didn't pick her for the ticket-it is somehow her responsibility to get him elected. He has to earn her votes not just demand them from her.

August 26, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Cynthia

For me you are either a part of the Democratic Party or not. If Senator Clinton had won I would have supported her without fail even though I supported Senator Obama. Rendell's speech was really good.

August 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse NY

Nate, what exactly could Hillary say to discredit her campaign remarks about Obama. It's true. He's not ready, and no amount of spin changes that.

August 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Jesse Moorefield

Werner's speech was OK but I was more impacted by Rendell supporting "the Obama administration".

Can you ask for more unity than that? Everyone knows how much Rendell supported Clinton and the hard time he's given journalists over their coverage of Obama. Tonight he really redeemed himself.

August 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse NY

Bill Clinton's comment today about the candidate who you agreed with but couldn't deliver was interesting.

August 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Cynthia

I agree Nate Friedman. I believe that Senator Clinton has come to terms with her loss and is ready to do the right thing by the Democratic Party because it is the right thing to do and she knows that she may want to run again for her NY seat as well as President.

August 26, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Serge Laurin

U.S. politics have always played a great role here in Canada. We can't help but be influenced by our friends to the south. We also hope for change in Washington. We need Obama to win.

Serge Laurin
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Canada

August 26, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Ken in NC

Hillary will speak tonight and I have no doubt she will do all she can to encourage all her supporters to become Obama supporters. This is the task she has but unfortunately cannot complete. Many of her supporters were more Clinton supporters than they are Democrats. Many of them feel she was wronged and as a result, she should be the nominee by default but politics is a dirty and brutal business they fail to understand. Each party fights like brothers and sisters among themselves and then at the end of the infighting they turn on the neighbor (Republicans) collectively. This is the party at work and many fail to understand this is the nature of the beast. I hope they will come to understand tonight that we must come together as a party to defeat McCain in November.

August 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Sandra, Wadley Ga.

Good evening Best Political Team. Mark Warner, the former Governor of Va., soon to be Senator, really gets it. Hopefully we will see and hear much more from him in the near future. Looking forward to hearing from Senator Clinton. I guess I will be dangling from the ceiling trying to get to sleep later, much later. Thanks to all of you for your hard work and late nights.

August 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Nate Friedman

Incidentlally, I think Hillary has a major opportunity ahead of her – not only to convince her supporters to throw their support to Obama, but also to address a completely different topic. With a few well-placed phrases, Clinton can single-handedly destroy McCain's entire Hillary-based ad campaign. Clinton could turn those ads into colossal wastes.

August 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If Hillary's speech is great and she brings up how good the Clinton years were it might make people regret their vote for Obama in the primaries.

August 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Joel Richardson

The Mark Wariner keynote speech was a real snoozer...I was starting to doze off listening to that boring speech...that speech was a mile long and an inch deep!

August 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Mike

To answer James Carville's challenge to give credible evidence of Democrats mismanaging the economy I have two words....Jimmy Carter. Double digit inflation, interest rates and unemployment.

August 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Elizabeth Stearns

Joe Biden is an incredibly competent and nice guy, yet not anyway close to the potential of Hillary. But he was right when he said that the President is not an on the job training position.

Very little energy is coming through the airwaves. Not a fault of CNN or anyone else. Just a function of the players.

And, isn't it incredible that we can put a President in office with fewer votes than the opponent, and curiously can do the same for this nomination process.

August 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Cynthia

I agree Cindy that Hilliary Clinton will blow them away , or at least that is what she needs to do.

August 26, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, so cool to have a chance to blog during the convention, thanks. Never heard Mark Warner speak before, thought his point about Americans not being afraid of the future was key, in my view democrats are good at this subject. Interesting to know that dems might be able to turn this "deeply red" state as John King said. Superb analysis by David Gergen.

August 26, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have been underwhelmed by this entire convention so far. Let's see if Hillary can pick up the momentum.

August 26, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Melissa from Pittsburgh

I think that Hillary has the most important speach tonight, and maybe even this week. She still has many supporters to convince to back Obama. The polls are pretty much tied right now. Obama needs everything he can get to beat McCain!!

August 26, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Nate Friedman

Warner was okay. I thought he didn't do a good enough job of talking about McCain vs. Obama, but I am starting to see a focus on not resorting to negative attacks on McCain, with a couple exceptions. The negativity has generally been limited to sweeping generalizations of the last eight years. It's actually refreshing.

August 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Cindy

Mark Warner did OK. I knew he wouldn't bash Bush or McCain really bad because that isn't him. He could have done a better job though.

Cindy...Ga.

August 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. will goforth

democrats need to get tough because the republicans are going to be tough at there convention. the democrats are not going after the group they need and that is independents and old regean democrats

August 26, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Barby Barone

Dear Mr. Cooper, Mark Warner's keynot speech was disappointing and rather vacuous. Not to mention the unfortunate focus on regional issues. If the convetion was to be galvanized we need a greater lightning rod.

Barby Barone

August 26, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  49. Cindy

Ok..so far I think that tonight's speeches have been so so. Some were good while others weren't.

Hillary should blow them all away.

Cindy..Ga.

August 26, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Mike, Vietnam

Looking forward to good show! Im excited to see more of debate!

August 26, 2008 at 10:02 pm |