August 26th, 2008

Evening Buzz: It's Hillary's Night

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/08/26/clinton.tuesday/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton will deliver a highly anticipated speech Tuesday night."]Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Are you ready for night two of the Democratic National Convention?  It's Hillary's night, even though she's not the keynote speaker (see the schedule below for who got that honor).  Senator Clinton's prime-time speech will draw a lot of attention. After all, this isn't the role she and her supporters wanted at the convention. But, her supporters are glad she even has a role. Tonight, Clinton's message is expected to focus on party unity. The ultimate goal: get her followers to support Barack Obama. Do you think her "sales pitch" will work?

John McCain would love to adopt the Clinton supporters who don't like Obama. Today, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee unveiled a new 3 a.m. ad (watch it here). The 30-second spot uses footage from Clinton's original ad, but goes a step further detailing the security threats America faces. Speaking to delegates in Denver Monday, Clinton said she didn't support Republicans using her past words against Obama. "I am Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," she said. But do you approve of McCain's message?

Back at the convention, Democrats are focusing on the theme of "Renewing America's Promise with 60 speakers taking to the stage today. There are 40 office-holders, including two mayors, 13 governors, 14 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and 11 Senators - nine of them women. The 20 other speakers include two people described as lifelong Republicans.  One is a retired Navy admiral and the other is an unemployed nurse.

Stay with CNN for special coverage of the convention. Here's tonight's prime-time lineup of speakers:

Democratic National Convention
Tuesday, August 26th

8PM – 11PM ET

Remarks
The Honorable Steny Hoyer
Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Maryland
Democratic Majority Leader

Katherine Marcano
Cedar Rapids, Iowa flood victim

Anna Berger
Officer with SEIU & 1st Chair of America's newest labor federation, "Change to Win"

Pauline Beck

The Honorable Kathleen Sebelius
Governor of Kansas

The Honorable Federico Peña
Former Secretary of Energy and former Mayor of Denver, Colorado

The Honorable Nydia Velazquez
Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, New York

The Honorable Robert Casey, Jr.
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

Lilly Ledbetter
Her actions against Goodyear Tire led to the passage of the Fair Pay Restoration Act

Keynote Speech

Methodists – Aurora, Colorado

Recess
The Honorable Shirley Franklin
Mayor of Atlanta, Georgia

Filed under: Maureen Miller • T1 • The Buzz
  1. Pat

Hillary's speech last night lit up the room and confirmed once again, that Hillary is a Great Leader and the one that was chosen to be our Leader!

Like many others, I believe the Presidency was underhandedly taken from her, us, by the DNC and the Media. We and they will live to regret the one chance America was given and was too proud and biased to accept. We can stand with our hand over our heart while we recite Liberty, Equality and Justice For All but in our heart we know we are only giving lip service to a dream, a desire, that was lost long ago.

Hillary will continue to fight for all Americans despite the shody treatment she received. And the Obama's and McCain's will have a tough job trying to fill her shoes! Keep on Keeping On Hillary!

August 27, 2008 at 8:09 am |
  2. Diane Dymond

I think that the news media lost the Democratic nomination for Hillary Clinton. She would have been the strongest and most experienced of the candidates. Although I have always voted Democratic, I will now vote for John McCain as I think that between the 2 candidates, he certainly has the most experience is better prepared to lead this nation..

August 27, 2008 at 7:34 am |
  3. Morris in GA

To the Clinton supporters, if she had won the nomination, wouldn't you have expected the Obama supporters to rally behind her. This is not about one person, nor is it about gender or race, it is about the country being taken back by a person who cares and wished to lead this nation forward.

August 27, 2008 at 5:52 am |
  4. brian

WOW! Hillary gave a great speach to unite the democratic party, but every time they showed Michelle Oboma she looked disapointed. Does she not understand that the issues Hillary was bringing up were issues they shared. Michelle still looked that she didn't like what Hillary was saying.Makes me feel like Obama is a fony . I'm Democratric and want to vote for the democrat, and was almost ready to , but after seeing that, I am uncertain. Hillary was very generous tonight, But evidently what goes on in the Obama home is negative towards the Clintons. The Clintons are a great Legacy and not someone to roll your eyes at Michelle. Remember who you are and not yet in the office, if you make it! And If you do? You still better respect them, more than you did tonight.

August 27, 2008 at 4:45 am |
  5. Aaron

Hillary did a great job with the speech, for some reason republican "strategists" dont seem to agree after watching the speech larry king had a few republicans condemning it. First of all if Jesus was running for the president on the democratic side he would still be condemned and crucified by republicans. Republican strategists lack the basic abilities to analys a situation from both sides the simply mock everything that democrats do. Barrack Obama is a better candidate that McCain in my opinion because he would most likely make a positive difference

August 27, 2008 at 1:34 am |
  6. Hil

why wait 8 more years.
    Vote Mccain in 2008
    Let's make history in 2012

August 27, 2008 at 1:17 am |
  7. Don Mitchell

As a Canadian, I read comments like Dan's above "....four more years...McCain in 08...Hillary Clinton Supporter..." and feel sick to my stomach. You people would actually elect John McCain out of bitteness that Hillary lost??? EVEN SHE is EXHORTING you to vote for Senator Obama. Have you learned nothing the last eight years?? Have you forgotten the horror, the endless lies, Iraq, Katrina, Valerie Plame, Karl Rove (well, he's still around pulling Steve Schmidt's strings but should be on trial...), Dick Cheney (should be on trial too for Crimes Against Humanity...), Ashcroft, Armitage, the whole stinking, putrid, nefarious cabal. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!? If you abandon Obama out of some twisted, sore-loser mentality and elect McCain then God help you all. As Pat Robertson (of all people...) said "...McCain makes Dick Cheney look like Ghandi..." WAKE UP PEOPLE! For God's sake wake up...Senator Obama is the ONLY choice. Period. McCain will destroy the shreds of your country that are left.

August 27, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  8. RJS

Anderson,
    I was ready to come over to Barack after Hillary's speech tonight. Then I came here to CNN to post my comments, btw I have boycotted CNN b/c of the negative Clinton coverage. Anyway, I see more insulting Jack Cafferty posts calling us hillbillies! Hillary and Obama are both JFK type legends, both with a cult-like following of the heart. That kind of love is sometimes non-transferable.The media is part of Obama's cult so they've never seen or acknowledged the power Hillary has to match his. At the same time you people NEVER insult those who support Obama, but all you do is call us names! Those in the media aren't doing Obama any favors! You should do a special exposing your colleagues for what they are, as you haven't been as insulting to us. I saw a black woman on tv tonight after Hilary's speech crying and saying she still wasn't completely ready to support Barack Obama. Are you going to call her a racist too? I get called a racist on a daily basis, and according to Jack Cafferty I'm a hillbilly too! Simply because I love Hillary the way many love Obama. Obama hasn't reached out to us at all and the insults from the media have never stopped coming, then we are told to fall in line! I'm an Independent and I really like John McCain so I don't have to fall in line with anyone! Michelle Obama herself during the primaries said she wouldn't have voted for Hillary if she won. Who told her to fall in line? Who told her she was dividing the party? If Hillary had won, do you really believe all Obama supporters would have just gotten over it and got in line? At least Hillary made it clear she would have asked Obama to be on her ticket. His choice of Joe Biden, just another slap in the face! Why wouldn't he choose her, she would have been a better leader than him!?! I don't want to be part of some group that insults me everytime they speak about me! Stop the media from destroying Barack's chances! They helped create this divide and they keep throwing salt in the wounds just when they start to heal!

August 27, 2008 at 12:55 am |
  9. brenda

Hillary is a class act.

Obama fans love to bash her, and that is so unfair. She is doing everything in her power for Obama, but always seems to be in a no win situation.

Too bad that Obama has such a huge ego, otherwise he would have made her VP. Instead of picking the candidate that brought in 18 million voters, he chose one that brought in 9 thousand voters. HA!

No worries there Obama, Biden will never outshine you.

August 27, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  10. lcinpa

Hillary Speech was AMAZING! And that Ladies and Gentleman is why she SHOULD have been the Democratic Presidential Nominee! But thanks to the BIASED, DISGUSTING reporters like Chris Matthews and Keith Oberman , Cafferty and the CORRUPT DNC is why she isn’t. ANd I will NEVER EVER EVER vote obama because of them! McCAin will get my vote and I am more determined than ever to make it happen. And I know that both Hillary and McCAin love our Country…Obama could never love it the way they do. And if the DNC and the BIASED, DISGUSTING MSM think that they would have to “suffer” through a republican Presidency…GOOD! And Obama was just as bad after he COMPLETELY dissed Hillary in regards to her being on the ticket! Maybe if they have to suffer through 4 more years of a Republican they will learn not to report the UNBIASED & NON-SEXIST reports in the future!

August 27, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  11. Mad as a mothrSouthern...Dem.

I thuoght the speech was great but that retard that got interviewed after made me wonder how many other lunitics out there dont understand plan english the i turned on the the computer to blog and I found out its alot ignorite bastards out there what she was saying she stood for were obama's views not hers that why you should vote for him if you dont vote for obama dont call yourselves patriots.

August 27, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  12. Dawn

I love Hillary Clinton and I am very proud of her and support her. But I remain steadfast in that I will NOT vote for Obama come Election Day. Because he does not represent or stand for the things for which she spoke about this evening. Remember those are Hillary's battles and values. I don't believe he shares those. I see Obama as aligning himself with the likes of Rev. Wright and flipflopping to whichever way gets him to the front at the time. And I do not want a First Lady in the White House who is not proud to be an American. And that is what she really feels not what the strategists have designed her to be. Last night was not a true Michelle Obama but a contrived Michelle Obama. I continue to now throw my support to McCain. It is sad that the DNC and CNN threw her under the bus. Don't you feel a little uneasy about your biased coverage throughout the primaries and even now in your coverage of the convention. You should. I gave you more credit then it seems you deserve. And why should the coming together of the Democratic Party rest of her shoulders. Doesn't that coming together rest in part on Obama???? If she is that great and powerful why isn't she the candidate??? I think it is awful that she is not the VP Candidate. I guess he has too much ego for that. It is really crazy. More reasons to go Republican this time. Perhaps Hillary can run in four more years.

August 27, 2008 at 12:20 am |
  13. Sharron Holinsworth

I wasn't sure that I could vote for Obama, but after Hillary's speech tonight I will cast my vote for Obama.

We don't need four more years of the Republicans. Hillary was right, I wanted Hillary because of she stood for and we have to now unite and vote for Obama.

If you support Obama, you must believe in him and if she didn't say the words Obama has the experience for President, by supporting him says the words out loud.

August 27, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  14. Jay

Hillary did her job tonight and she did it well. She said to her supporters that she and Obama have the same ideals and if you were thinking of voting for McCain or not at all then you need to take another look at Obama if you truely believe in those ideals. Now it's up to Obama to show those people he is the one to vote for. Obama is the only who can do that and it's not Hillary's job to tell us he is ready to be President.

August 27, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  15. Ann

You give exclusive and precious air time to an individual who in all probability is the lone crackpot delegate in the Pepsi Center – and Anderson Cooper wants to "check in with her again." You people must exercise better discernment and distinguish between what is truly newsworthy and what was obviously either an act to gain personal attention in the national spotlight or an embarrassing display of mental illness. What's next – are you going to start touting random soda vendors as pundits and giving them airtime and following them around, too? Come on, you can do better than this! Stop trying so hard to be rabble rousers and cover real issues and real news. This election is too important.

August 27, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  16. jes

Not supporting Hillary "big mistake"!! Unfortunatelty it will be to late. Party Loyalty is one thing, loyalty to one's race is another. Stupidity is not excusable & all USA will pay

August 27, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  17. mary

OPEN your eyes America...what do we know about Obama...will he say the pledge of allegience to the flag of the country he wants to rule??? I find it disturbing that on a recent trip to germany he found the time to address of group of people but did NOT have the time to visit US Troops....actions do speak louder than words...Pay attention people!!!!! Hillary 08!!!

August 26, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  18. Valerie

The speech was FANTASTIC and presidential in every respect! How can Biden be the vice presidential candidate????

The African American female delegate interviewed after the speech by Suzanne summed it all up. I agree with the delegate in every respect, and am going through the same thought process with respect to how I might vote in November.

Right now I will not vote for McCain but for the first time, after voting for democrats for everything since my first vote 3o years ago, I may stay home (and there are many more women and men who I know feel the same way), and that pains me tremendously.

Hillary is right - I was in this for the sick mother and the marine, as was she. As far as I can tell Barack Obama has been and continues to be in this for "change" whatever that is. He has two months to reach out to me and change my mind but time is running out.

August 26, 2008 at 11:57 pm |