August 25th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Convention time!

David M. Reisner
AC360° Digital Producer

Gooooood morning everyone! What a weekend huh? If you caught our air on Friday we broke the news to you before the Senator's text messages hit your inbox. But there is much to talk about today on the campaign front. So lets get started shall we

Obama introduces Biden as running mate
Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama introduced Sen. Joe Biden to the nation as his running mate Saturday, telling supporters that he is "a leader who is ready to step in and be president.""For months, I've searched for a leader to finish this journey alongside me and join me in making Washington work for the American people. I searched for a leader who understood the rising costs confronting working people and will always put their dreams first," Obama said. "Today, I've come back to Springfield to tell you I've found that leader," he said...

Post-Biden poll shows Obama-McCain dead heat
It's a dead heat in the race for the White House. The first national poll conducted entirely after Barack Obama publicly named Joe Biden as his running mate suggests that the battle for the presidency between the Illinois senator and GOP rival John McCain is all tied up. In a new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released Sunday night, 47 percent of those questioned are backing Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominees, with an equal amount supporting his Republican opponent, McCain.

"This looks like a step backward for Obama, who had a 51 to 44 percent advantage last month," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Even last week, just before his choice of Joe Biden as his running mate became known, most polls tended to show Obama with a single-digit advantage over McCain."

Democrats to kick off convention with 'One Nation' theme
Almost eight months after Iowa's caucusgoers kicked off one of the lengthiest nomination fights in modern history, more than 4,400 delegates are finally assembling Monday in Denver for the start of the 45th Democratic National Convention.

The delegates will make history this week by officially nominating Sen. Barack Obama, the first African-American presidential nominee of a major U.S. political party.

Many of the delegates, however, did not expect to meet in the midst of such a tight race for the White House. Presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain is saddled with the burden of an unpopular incumbent president, a sputtering economy, an unpopular war and a natural desire for change after eight years with one party in the White House.

Bush declares 'major disaster area' in Florida

Flooding caused by the former Tropical Storm Fay prompted evacuations in parts of northern Florida on Sunday as what was left of the storm stalled over southern Mississippi. President Bush declared a "major disaster" in Florida, which Fay had pounded for days.

Fay threatens Atlanta flooding, tornadoes

The remnants of Tropical Storm Fay, after skirting the Gulf coast and dumping heavy rain across South Georgia, have turned to the northeast and are expected to bring torrential rainfall to North Georgia beginning Monday evening.

The National Weather Service has posted a flash flood watch for the northwest corner of the state, beginning at 4 p.m. Monday and continuing through Tuesday night. The watch will be in effect for an area generally west of I-85 that includes most of metro Atlanta...

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Vicki

Isn't it great the examples our leaders are setting for us. I now see on CNN where people are arguing in other people's face. Whatever happened to arguments that could be discussed like adults – or human beings for that matter. Just because we all don't THINK alike doesn't mean we have to be mean and nasty to each other. I wish we all could stop letting our fine leaders influence the way we choose to ACT!!!!!!! And they are going to stop a war?? Pull my finger!

August 25, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  2. Willie

When is everyone going to realize that Obama was in can't win situation when it came to picking a VP. If he picked Hillary, he would have upset a majority of his supporters. If he picked any of the other names on his list, the republicans would be all over the untrue fact of the ticket being too inexperienced. They would make people worried about voting for 2 relatively new names to the national stage. Obama picks Biden, now folks are saying he's not about change by picking a longtime politician from within Washington.

It seems the man can't please anyone. He was going to be heavily criticized regardless of who he picked. That's not right.

August 25, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  3. Sandy, Arkansas

Barack Obama has made a strong case in his run for the Presidency of how good his judgment is...many people, myself included, think he just lost that argument! Hillary Clinton had the support of almost as many people as Barack Obama. She had the experience, the motivation, the ideals, and human compassion that voters were looking for in a President and a Vice President. What the people wanted and needed was not what Barach Obama wanted and chose. His decision has not unified the party – in fact, it has caused a rift that will be hard to bridge no matter what Hillary or Bill Clinton say. The monkey is not on their back...the monkey is on Barack's back.

For many, many women it is just another incidence of the good old boys club denying you entry even when you have the credentials and would be an asset. If Hillary had been the nominee and not chosen him can you imagine what the uproar would have been like!?! I think she would have exercised better judgment. than he did..that is why I'd rather her be answering the 3 a.m. phone call.

August 25, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  4. Wisnton Barron Jr.

If the Hillary Clinton supporters would just be rational for one minute they would know that the Clinton campaign made it impossible for Barack Obama to choose her as a V.P. Her campaign constantly tried to tear him down while Obama most of the time had positives to say about her. Obama and Clinton share many of the same veiws and is by far the best choice for president available for Clinton supporters. The Clinton supporters are not just hurting Obama, if you look at the state of America they are hurting themselves.

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  5. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, happy Monday. I thrilled that Senator Obama has chosen Senator Joe Biden as his running mate. You know Anderson; it makes me angry when I hear that there are Hillary supporters that are upset that she wasn't chosen so there voting for John McCain. Wake up people! Hillary was who I voted for but she didn't make it, live with it and remember that we are Democrats first. C'mon ask yourself, do we really want another four years of republican rule? I know I sure has heck don't. I'm so excited about watching the convention tonight.

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  6. Michelle

Yeah the worst political team on television is now being featured on
    CNN. There is no real journalism going on over the airwaves, just
    scripts and talking points being provided by the RNC and the McCain
    campaign and screenplay brought to you by Clinton supporters
    Carville & Begala and the anchors and reporters of CNN having
    non-speaking roles , except for repeating the script. This is how
    you get the latest Warner Bros movie " The World According to
    John McCain". How much is the RNC and the McCain campaign
    paying CNN to not talk about Barack Obama or have anything on
    Obama other than HRC supporters will not vote for Barack and
    McCain ads running every hour only not doing commercial breaks.
    The CNN agenda is now clear Barack Obama is a nobody and
    does not matter because we planned for the Clinton vs McCain
    matchup and we are trying to make this a reality. No matter the
    facts : Obama defeated the Clinton machine. Next up CNN and
    the RNC/McCain campaign. The revolution will not be televised.
    But than what do you expect ? Why wouldn't the old media back
    the old guy and old politics.

August 25, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  7. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Well Good morning 360

The convention is sure to be filled with excitement and great speeches. I am not suprised Obama picked Joe Biden to be V.P.
    he'll bring expirence of forgien policy that Obama lacks . I could also not believe that torando sighting yesterday not to far from denver that';s all this convention needs now to kick off with it seem like the wizard of oz .

Well I look foward to all the politcial team has to discuss and bring tonight so thanks for the posting
    see you on 360
    michelle.

August 25, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  8. Cindy

I guess all we will get this week is politics for sure huh!? LOL

I think it is funny that Obama picked Biden when Biden has downed Obama a whole lot and said he was no where near ready to be president. And he has also said that John McCain would be a better president. So how are they going to spin that!? I guess Biden is eating his words! He must feel since he has no chance of being the pres he can atleast jump on the coattails and be VP!

Funny also that Biden takes A LOT of money from lobbyist at about $ 200,000 so far this year! How is Obama going to explain and spin that one also!?

There seems to be way too many differences between the two. Biden gives the Reps WAY more to work with to down them both. Even the plagiarizing of speeches! They both have done it in the past....

Love that the polls now have both in a dead heat. I guess Hillary's supporters are really going to show Obama what they really think of him in November!

Fay is definitely here in Georgia. It is raining cats and dogs!! We are under a flood watch until tonight. But we really needed the rain so I won't complain. But I do hate it!!

Cindy...Ga.

August 25, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  9. Marilyn Stanley

I am a single mom from Northern Michigan, I come from an all Union family and I think the people in Michigan are tired of all our jobs disappearing, losing our homes, trying to get enough money to put gas in our vehicles to take our children to school. Wake up Michigan and get these Republicans out of office, at least for 4 years. I am a registered voter and I am hoping other 40 year old, single moms get out there and vote as well.

signed,