August 23rd, 2008

McCain's reaction to Biden: More coffee

Ted Fine
AC360° Senior Producer

We hear that John McCain called Joe Biden to congratulate him this morning. "Old friends" we hear. No public comments from McCain yet.

In fact, we haven't heard anything from McCain since the start of last week. We've only seen the Senator getting his coffee fix.

Here's the report from the pool producer with McCain this morning:

A little after 8 am a four car caravan pulled down Hidden Valley Road towards the mailboxes. The senator and Cindy were in the second vehicle trailing a silver mini-van. There was also a dog in the back seat with them – what looked like a springer spaniel (according to others...I know nothing about dogs).

The senator arrived at the Starbucks in the Safeway at 820 and walked in with Mark Braden and Cindy. He emerged wearing a white tshirt, blue jeans and a blue cap. Cindy wore a black shirt, a tan hat and blue jeans. She was also wearing her bright pink cast.

Some pictures from the van but the McCains' heads were mostly obscured by a pesky pine tree. Will feed if there's interest.

He arrived back at 840 without incident.

That should be the lid for the day, but the pool will be on call.

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. kyra

Tony said " …you can’t even spell McCain properly… and you’re going to VOTE for him? Utter rubbish and a waste of an American vote. I’m not saying that voting for McCain is a waste… I’m saying that you’re under educated to vote properly as an informed citizen."

Insulting someone is not the way to convince them to understand your point of view, or change their mind about another candidate.

Let's leave the poor behavior to the Republicans.

kyra
    Obiden 08!!!!

August 24, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  2. Charlene Gast

As a Hillary fan – I WILL NOT vote for Obama! He could not do enough to make me vote for him. Therefore, this election I WILL be voting for McCain.

August 24, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  3. Vicky

Why would anyone suggest that Obama should have picked another woman if not Hillary. This would be a real insult to her.Even though a Canadian, I have paid close attention to the primary and no matter what anyone says Hillary was nastier than Obama. John McCain is now using her remarks against Obama in addition to the lies he continually spouts. Some bloggers are in such a hurry to give their opinion they do not care about spelling or proper English which makes it hard to understand what they mean. Now I suppose you are going to tell me to butt out.

August 24, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  4. Dennis

Ya really think obama supporters vote for issues; they're voting against mccain, not for obama.

August 24, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  5. jim

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA missed his chance to have a slim possiblilty of being elected by not picking Hillary. Even though, I don't like Hillary. She got robbed by Mr. Hit and Run Jack Cafferty's left wing liberal party not allowing the votes from Florida and Michigan to count. I am sure you liberals at CNN will try to justify the Biden Pick.. You are the most biased network for the Democrats I have ever seen. Pretty soon you will convert Lou Dobbs to being a liberal.

August 24, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  6. Charlie

Why hasn't the media looked and questioned into McCains past for instance the keaton 5, the 32 statements McCain made as a P.O.W against america and the fact McCain spoke against families of former P.O.W or those missing in action. His actions against the The Truth Bill and his lack of support for better benefits for our troops. I feel the media is giving McCain barely a slap on the wrist. I believe the media should also report on McCains temper problems and the problems that could occur due to his real lack of judgement.

August 24, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  7. Theresa

A vote for McCain is a wasted vote. If you are a Democrat and you are ticked off that Hilliary didn't win the primary or didn't get the nod for VP, get over it. I have. Lets talk about what is important. Lets talk that you can't afford to take a vacation this year, lets talk about how you have to make choices whether to fill your car up with gas, as opposed to how much food you can buy, or worse yet, you have to decide if you are going to buy your medicine this month.

I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!! The Republican big business machine has taken this country and the economy and flushed it down the toilet. I want to thank those who voted Bush for two terms....thank you for trashing my country, thank you for the high gas prices, thank you for a terrible economy, thank you for murdering so many soldiers in Iraq (I know they are serving their country, but a needless war was wrong). It should be a crime what Bush did to our country. Talking to anyone in Texas, they were glad that Bush was elected president, it meant he couldn't trash Texas anymore.

So, for those of you that are undecided about who to vote for, step back and take a hard look at the country and the condition it is in, take a hard look at the domestic issues, and you will vote hands down for Obama/Biden.

For those of you that are mad that Hillary is not on the ticket, stay true to your party, Hillary would want you to. Vote Obama/Biden, its what's good for us, our country, our economy, our lives.

August 24, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  8. Patricia

Oh, my, now I just heard Limbaugh is blaming Obama for the high prices! This is ludicrous! This is Bush's mess, not Obama's! Obama will have to clean it up, it is true. But no one can say that he made this situation we are in. That is Bush and Cheney all the way! If we want more of the same, we should listen to Rush Limbaugh by all means!

He is such an intellect that he helped us elect Bush/Cheney twice with his rhetoric of nonsense. People need to start thinking for themselves instead of listening to the lies of the likes of Limbaugh. I recall the man saying in the last election when he was being called on the issue of lies in his rhetoric. He said point blank on Larry King that he is not about the Truth, he is about Entertainment! Wake up people!

August 24, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  9. Patricia

... it does not matter what McCain has said. He is more of the same old Bush game. Obama is the future with hope, and Biden has the same ideas and has fought for the average man for 35 years. Watch for more obscene attacks from McCain instead of a message. He has no message, and he knows it! When you are debating and you start attacking the other person instead of the issues; you have no leg to stand on. I think the American people are smart enough to see that. All McCain has is the same old war stories that all elderly people tell over and over again. He was a good soldier just as Biden said. That will not make him a good president. Unless we want a prisoner of Bush's war to run this country.

August 24, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  10. Patricia

Larry, you astound me! Are you honestly saying that you would rather have four more years of the Bush administration that someone who is offering something new and improved for the middle class. I suspect you are either rich or not using your head. It sounds to me like some people are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces. Abortion, Clinton ire, or any other individual issue is beside the point. Do we want four more years of the same or do we want change? It is that simple! You cannot seriously tell me that you are satisfied with what has happened to this country in the past eight years.

I just saw McCain's last attack ad on Obamb... a convicted criminal or some such.... give me a break.... swift boat techniques are obscene when the People want to know what these two candidates plan to do as president. So far I have heard McCain flipflop all over the place to distance himself from Bush, to appease the fair Right, and to keep the special interests happy. Obama and Biden have listened to the pain of the average American, and they are offering hope and change... not more of the same. McCain has said repeatedly that h

August 24, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  11. Rod

I think Biden is a great choice. As far as him speaking his mind, that is a good thing too.

In order to soeak your mind, first you must have one.

Yes we can!!!!!

August 24, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  12. Michael Daly

I have come full circle, now supporting McCain. I am a lifelong republican; fiscal conservative, social moderate, and i had firmly moved over to Obama's camp- until now.

I remember Biden in 1987 and on his many mouthy appearances since. I consider him to be the epitomie of a "bafoon" and I will not vote for him as my vice president. I can't believe that many of my fellow boomers won't feel the same.

I'm voting McCain. Sorry, Barack, you lost me there. m

August 24, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  13. madblackman

im a hillary supporter who just saw that new ad put out by john mccain about hillary and her 18 million voters. me and my wife were talking and she got offended and said this is political womanizing by the mccain camp. to use a woman's pain after a hard fought campaign was down right dirty and disrespectful to us as hill supportersand im furious!! even though im not a big obama supporter ,at least he tried to stay away from it and not try to enflame people. john mccain has stooped to a new low, but since then we researched mccain and have found that he has a history of womanizing. so we have decided to hold our nose and vote for obama/biden08. i was considering mccain but i think if he will use her for political gain ,what else will he do to the american people.

August 24, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  14. Vicki

Biden for President!

August 24, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  15. Joann Suzanne

I'm Hillary Supporter .. So My Feeling is Hurt.. Single Mother at 37.. I always vote Dem Not this year.. McClain.. 2008 not liked but after Obama hurt my feeling not taken Hillary for VP.. Hillary 2012

McClain.. here i come to Support you..

Hillary 2012

jojo

August 24, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  16. Kenneth T. Tellis

If John McCain is not talking publicaly about Joe Biden, you can bet that he is still thinking of the fighting on the border between Pakistan and Iraq, which was his very own creation. I guess we will now have to change the maps to suit the new vision of John McCain. That actually that now Saudi Arabia will border Lebanon, not Syria.

With the U.S. having men like John McCain around its going to be a cinch winning make-believe WARS. John McCain is still fighting the VIETNAM war, and if we we are not careful, he will most likely take the world back to CRUSADES. John old chap, its time to go back to the Rocking-Chair you abandoned to run for President. But hey, don't leave that Malacca Cane behind, you still need it for support.

August 24, 2008 at 7:03 am |
  17. Caycee

A lot of other folks got tagged with Obama's 3 AM phone call, and they probably all needed coffee after that too.

August 24, 2008 at 6:49 am |
  18. daniel vilca

another funny thing... did anybody knew that the attorney from delaware who arrest larry sinclair( the gay reporter who claim have sexual relations with senator obama, besides using drugs) was not other that ....GEN BIDEN! THE SON OF JOE BIDEN! mmmm it looks like someone own a favor to biden!

August 24, 2008 at 5:46 am |
  19. Justin

If I'm a member of the McCain Campaign I'm a lot less worried now after the Biden pick for VP. He would have been a better pick for some other cabinet member. Obama receives no bounce from this whatsoever and does not pickup one state from this move. My kindergarten daughter could have picked a better candidate. I'm watching all the cnn news people try to come up with ways that Biden helps. There grasping for straws.

August 24, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  20. Annie Kate

I'm confused – I didn't see any nasty remarks that the first commenter referred to in the article nor have I heard any. It just said McCain called Biden and congratulated him as they are old friends. I'm hoping that since they are old friends that maybe the nasty level will be go down some; McCain and Huckabee campaigned in the primaries against each other and didn't bad mouth each other because they were friends – maybe the performance can be repeated. I hope it can and I hope Biden will help put some flesh on the policies and plans of change that Obama talks about but hasn't detailed yet.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 24, 2008 at 2:07 am |
  21. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

Biden will tear up any VP pick that the Repubs choose. And no, Hillary will not go Repub like you ridiculous women for Hillary. She knows that the GOP is a terrible party and have ruined so much for all of us. Why on earth would you vote Repub after these last 7 1/2 awful years?

August 24, 2008 at 12:37 am |
  22. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

Cindy needs to drop the poor me thing with this caste. When you have done so little work in your life that a handshake handicaps you...........you know your too rich and taken care of. Give us all a break Cindy. Biden? Perfect VP. hey, I thought Hillary would of been great, but we have to unite against the GOP.

Obama/Biden 08

August 24, 2008 at 12:28 am |
  23. Lynn

I don't blame Hillary I would not want to run with racist like Obama either!! Mr. Biden was the only creep like Obama . Mr. McCain has nothing to worry about , McCain is safe!

August 24, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  24. Jim ,

So is Hillary going to switch back over to Republican after not getting the nomination or V.P. slot? If Her supporters will do it it just shows me a bunch of whining sore loosers who do not deserve to lead this country. You Hillary supporters want to vote Republican Go Right ahead. Personally I'd Fire the Whole Buch in the House & Senate
    & Replace them with Homeless Vetrans I think They would do a better job than the ALLTALK NO ACTION bunch we have in there now.

August 23, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  25. kay, Huntsville, AL

I want to know who John McCain will pick as his running mate. I am getting aggravated because Obama seems to be getting more media coverage than McCain. Let's be fair here! My maiden name is Brown. As everyone knows there are a lot of Browns! I am telling all of my relatives to vote! I do not care if John McCain owns a lot of houses or not. It is not a sin to be rich. It is only a sin if you are not a good steward of your wealth and do not help people with it. God means for us to help other people with our wealth if He blesses us with things. May the best man win!

August 23, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  26. Ralph Illinois

I sure hope McCain can get to his convention. I've heard he's been falling behind in his housekeeping chores.

21 toilets to clean, 250 windows and just taking the garbage out would wear out a young guy. And he ain't no young guy.

I'm glad he's filthy rich and not me..................................

August 23, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  27. Don, WA

Nice fashion eye guys – I'd be thrown off if McCain did'nt have a cap on (but did it say "Navy" or what – your being a little suspect on the details). And I know nothing of a cast for Cindy McCain...explain (nice work on reporting it was pink though). And every reporter should know "something" about dogs (man's best friend – I'm personally friends with all dogs). Sorry about the "pesky" pine tree but we all have our problems. But good to see your trying on a saturday.

August 23, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  28. Jim Ashe

Well...Looks like it's going to be The Happy Warriors Vs. The Happy Wanderers!

August 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Thomas

Does any one notice the color of the ties Obama and Biden wearing today? Blue and Red!!! McCain beware, they are not only going to sack the Clinton supporters but the republicans too. Aiming at red states and bringing red and blue under one umbrella.

Thomas, Ca

August 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  30. mary

I hope that John McCain will play it smarter and choose Mitt Romney as his VP running mate.

I hope that unlike Obama who was blinded by his own selfish need not to be overshadowed and could not see that his best choice for VP would have been Hilary Clinton. Let's hope John McCain used his better higher thinking faculties than Obama did.

As president, the biggest responsibilty is to choosing the best suited candidates for roles in government , whether or not you want to be best friends with someone, and for Obama, that should have been Hillary Clinton for VP. Obama only won because Oprah Winfrey launched his popularity rock star image which carried him through. Not that people want substance in a candidate, Obama is sorely lacking. So if McCain picks Mitt Romney, he can build a 1-2 punch of Foreign Police Economic Know-How experience to defeat Obama and Biden.

August 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Wade

John McCain need to sit and let the real professionals handle the work, Obama has inspired a lot of people during this election campaign including myself. He made me feel that the American dream is still available for the working class citizens and it is never to late or to early to start. By picking Joe Biden he has reassure the democrats, republicans and the independents that he is really in for a fight to help America reclaim the greatness of its nature and not let John McCain take the tax break to the big oil companies and the big Corporations. John McCain said if you don’t have $5,000,000.00 you are not rich, well, if he is going to help the big corporations in keeping the jobs outside of this US, he will be the only one with MORE THAN 7 HOUSES. When most of the people in the country is either worrying about their home in foreclosure or the neighbor’s foreclose home which is putting their home value, their American dream down JOHN McCAIN DON’T EVEN KNOW HOW MANY HE HAS. That’s a shame

August 23, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  32. mary

It is so sad to see that Obama in his crisis moment of seeing that he has little by little leaked away any stronghold that the Democratic brand carried before these last months.

If you think about what is happening now with people getting to know Obama and not liking what they see , because of his unclear ideas and undefined stances on what he is actually going to do. And hopefully as the fair dust clears, pundits and America alike will coem to know that the primaries were electric – not because of Obama – but because of Hillary Clinton.

And so the shallow desires of Obama came out in his VP pick. He did not choose the bset candidate that would be ready on day one to serve in a presendial capacity, but chose Joe Biden who lost early in the primaries and will for certain not overshadow Obama. And should Obama lose in the general election, he has no one to blame but himself for choosing not pick the best VP candidate in Hillary, but a poorer substitution so that Obama could feel like he was still the solo rock start of his own concert – which in the end may not sell enough tickets.

August 23, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  33. Cindi Abbott

It is truly remarkable that Hillary supporters , especially women, are so bitter that they are willing to vote for four more years of GOP leadership. MCain admitted that he was unfaithful in marriage and he married the beautiful Cindy just 30 days after divorcing his crippled first wife. Also, he is against a woman's right to choose. On the other side of the coin, Biden sponsored an anti-domestic abuse against women act. But you Hillary female voters , go ahead and vote McSame!! Hope you are unable to afford your groceries and gasoline too!!

August 23, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  34. Barbara in NC

Larry – you and your type of person is what put bushie and cheatie in the wh to start with – grow up – there are issues – HILLARY LOST

By the way – I'll bet McWarmonger was asleep in his depends at 3 am this morning when we received the news that HILLARY DID NOT MAKE THE CUT !!!!!!! CLINTON DYNASTY DEAD. BUSH DYNASTY DEAD.

August 23, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  35. Evelyn

McCain is old. If he can't remember things now, how in the world will he in four years or eight? I also have a problem with Cindy McCain. She doesn't seem to be a very nice person. Didn't she go after John while he was still married? I love Mrs. Bush. She is my idea of a kind, and caring first lady. I do not care for George W. but his wife is a good role model for other first ladies.

August 23, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  36. Rhonda Davis

We are fired up and ready to go for Obama.

Look at the accomplishments of Biden and Obama's first big choice, as Carl had to point out to Anderson Copper and the panel.

With family in Del., Va, NJ, and Pa....we are completely on board with this ticket!

Lot's of Vets – Italian Catholics in our family!

Obama / Biden 2008! Let get moving on to the issues and stop talking about what is not a choice! Rhonda from PA

August 23, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  37. Wendy Ontario, Canada

McCain's VP pick will likely have said many things about him as well, common during Primaries. It doesn't matter who McCain picks anyway, he is rigid & will answer to nobody including the American people. Those who support him should be prepared to have there children sent off to WAR , he has now confirmed he agrees with the DRAFT. The fact that he antagonizes other nations such as Russia & Iran will put everyone at risk not keep people safer. He claims to be pro life but thinks nothing of the civilian lives lost in Iraq.

August 23, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  38. KJ Western MA

Well Hillary is my person, which means I am prepared to hear her come out Tuesday and ask for everyone to support Obama/Biden. This is what I would expect from a classy lady- however, my heart can not be in it.

My vote will now go to McCain. Thanks, for making the choice easy for this Independent voter!

August 23, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  39. Tony

"Wow, talking about getting the shaft, Obama, sure gave it to Hillary, her an Bill both should drop out of Campaneing for him, being a Democrat, i will be Voteing Republican this time around, an a lot of others i have talked with are going to do the same, would’nt it be something if John McCane, choose Hillary, as his running mate it would make a lot more Democrat’s jump over to his side, also, that would be a great team, if he did"

This is new and interesting. Can I subscribe to your newletter?

Seriously, if you are Democrat, and are voting Republican simply for the fact that you like Hillary, you are a failure as a voter. VOTE FOR THE ISSUES. These same people that are complaining that Hillary didn't win, I'm voting McCain will be the same exact ones that complain that oil/gas prices are too high, we're in a bad economy, and our education system is lacking 2 years from now.

...you can't even spell McCain properly... and you're going to VOTE for him? Utter rubbish and a waste of an American vote. I'm not saying that voting for McCain is a waste... I'm saying that you're under educated to vote properly as an informed citizen.

August 23, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  40. Mike in NYC

Sharron Langlie wrote:

"God is on our side."

With that last sentence, you completely cancelled out whatever rationality there may have been in your post.

M. Peacock wrote:

"If McCain picked a woman ... this would really flip this election around."

You are obviously an advocate of tokenism. It is vastly overrated.

The pool of qualified male candidates far outnumbers the qualified female pool. Nature has spoken.

August 23, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  41. Nelson

When phone rings at 3am John will answer and take action. Whereas Obama will answer and scramble to find Joe to help him decide. Joe is on vacation and the result is catastrophic.

August 23, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  42. Gary Chandler in Canada

Now to see who Limbaugh chooses for VP on the GOP ticket!!!

August 23, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  43. Shibha Joshi

Your show is great.

August 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  44. Larry

Wow, talking about getting the shaft, Obama, sure gave it to Hillary, her an Bill both should drop out of Campaneing for him, being a Democrat, i will be Voteing Republican this time around, an a lot of others i have talked with are going to do the same, would'nt it be something if John McCane, choose Hillary, as his running mate it would make a lot more Democrat's jump over to his side, also, that would be a great team, if he did.

August 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  45. Gladys

That comment he made about you can't have any on the job training in the White House was pretty low. That was free gift to McCain – right from the Biden's mouth.

August 23, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  46. Gladys

Although I have my own view of the billion dollar Georgia offer, Biden does seem to compensate for any strengths Obama lacks in foreign affairs and experience.

But hopefully loose lips don't sink any ships in this election. Let the games begin.

August 23, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  47. M. Peacock

Well if the Dem's were not smart enough to do it maybe McCain should. That is "Pick a woman VP". Okay maybe Obama did not want Hillary, that is understandable ... she is a stronger personality that he is.... maybe he should have put his choice where his mouth is and he could have supported having a woman VP. Do you mean to tell me there was not a single qualified woman to choose?
    If McCain picked a woman and did it soon enough to over shadow Obama ... this would really flip this election around.

August 23, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  48. Mary

Biden is a great VP pick. He would have been an amazing pick for State as well. Perhaps, Obama will cross party lines and choose Dick Lugar or Chuck Hagel to be State? If Obama chose Lugar and made it known before the election, he would take Indiana. Lugar is "God" in Indiana.

August 23, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  49. Ted

Biden — the perfect foil for Palin!

August 23, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  50. Sharron Langlie

Once again, McCain has shown he has no class in his tasteless response to Biden's pick as vp on the Obama ticket. Why the nasty remarks when he could have been the honorable gentleman who congratulated Obama and Biden and said "may the best man win"? I shudder to think that this man could represent our country; America has suffered enough as a country at the hands of nasty Republicans. We have a once in a lifetime chance to regain our prestige around the world with Obama/Biden. God is on our side.

August 23, 2008 at 1:10 pm |