August 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/21/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson is off tonight. John King is anchoring and on our studio webcam. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica’s webcast. LINK TO WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lou

Who doesn't want to offend the Chinease. It is about rules and if they cheat or break the rules then they should be treated like everyone else. If they did not want to offend they would not have started an investigation

August 21, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Fay, CA

John, it's really cool that you take the time to blog with us at all, no need to explain...

August 21, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Thank you for a great night John King, Erica Hill, Bloggers and 360 crew! I always enjoy the show and always learn something valuable. Night!

August 21, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. johncnn

good night - thanks for hanging out with us.

August 21, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Thursday eve..The big vp pick will be coming soon..3am? Night all

August 21, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. MaryBeth

Lou: you don't want to offend the Chinese....this is a major thing for them..and then for the IOC to go in and strip medals? Major loss of face for the Chinese.

August 21, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. johncnn

sorry a little quiet tonight .. emailing political sources in the breaks trying to get a sense of who, and if not who, then when.

gary tuchman wins the tenacity award this week – soggy as he is

August 21, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Heather,Ca,US

Thank goodness the mother got the kids out safely.

August 21, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Betty Ann , Nacogdoches,TX

Chris~At least there was one lucky dog on the news tonight! ;-D

August 21, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Cindy

Well great show tonight.

Night John...hope you make your early flight to Denver!

Cindy..Ga.

August 21, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Jimmy..."Even the USA cheats."

Jimmy, of that I'm certain. It's embarassing to say the least. I would hope someday we could rise above this kind of behavior.

August 21, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Lou

The IOC stripped that American woman of her medals six years later when she admitted to lying about doping. she is in jail right now. Why would they let Chinease keep their medals if they were found to be cheating?

August 21, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Chris

Seinfeld, 10 million. I guess he has reached a level that McCain would consider him rich. Lucky dog.

August 21, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. MaryBeth

Genevieve: I agree. I know China wants to be part of the world, but they have a lot to do first. This was a major blunder on the part of the IOC.

August 21, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Heather,Ca,US

That bounty hunter just wasted his money.

August 21, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Herm

Underage or not she already won.

August 21, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Tish,NC

John you are good with that magic map, but you have got to admit this political season is not only very serious, but you have got to love the attention and the excitement this has drawn!! Doesn't it feel good that the country is paying attention!! Really...this time? I know you are really saying you love your job now!!

OBAMA/THE PEOPLE 08!

August 21, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

Wow!!! Gary Tuchman is so wet so hard during tropical storm fay, poor woman got hurt. Wow!!!! 30 feet???? that's huge!!!!

August 21, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Heather,Ca,US

What kind of message does it send to people that they will win at whatever the cost.

August 21, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Cortez

Oh and there was a comment earlier about what does wealth have to do with the issues between obama and mccain. It relates to the issues because

McCain does not want universal health care and he supports Bush's tax cuts which are for the well off which includes himself and Obama,

However Obama supports tax cuts for the middle class and higher taxes for the well off.

Now who has the bigger agenda.

August 21, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. MaryBeth

Geez, Gary Tuchman looks even more wet now than he did before!! He needs a vacation!

August 21, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Richard - Glen Ridge, NJ

In the current political environment, it only makes sense to have either Sen. Clinton or Sen. Biden on the ticket next to Sen. Obama's name. I can't see anyone else who's been mentionned thus far be a better choice. My thinking or even analysis of Sen. Obama's Veep choice may have been influenced by the media but I honestly can't come up with anyone better than Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden.

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Genevieve M, TX

I am willing to bet $$ that if the IOC were to discover that if any of China's gymnasts are underage- China will be allowed to keep the medals.

IMO, it was a HUGE mistake on the part of the IOC to allow China to host the Olympics.

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  24. JImmy in California

China cheats. All countries cheat in some form or another. In some forms it is called spying. It is the nature of the beast to always have an edge. Yes ALL COUNTRIES. Even the USA cheats. "Body building drugs". Need I say more. It is sad but true.

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Cindy

Gary is still out in that weather!? He must be water logged by now!

Cindy..Ga.

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

Olympic controvesies so embarrassing. A real keeping them honest job.

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Tish, NC...I'm of the opinion that the only plausible solution at this point is to pick the Clintons (I mean, Hilary), for the VP running mate. I can't see any other way to trim John McCain's sails.

August 21, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  28. ericacnn

casey j , i feel the same way re: helpless animals

August 21, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Angel

I'm sure some of the girls were underage. If I remember my kids teeth correctly, dont some of the teeth come in by a certain age? There is one girl on their team whose teeth I think are that of a much younger girl than they are even reporting.

Something odd I noticed in after the Chinese girls did their routines: the way they hugged their coaches. The other teams got an : atta girl kind of hug. The Chinese girls got an "approval" kind of hug... as if the girls were looking for a hug for doing what they were told. Ahhh, maybe I read too much into things. ; )

August 21, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

I hope that they will take keep away gold. ( strip)

August 21, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  31. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Man, my heart sinks everytime I see a helpless animal, like that dog swimming around in the flood.

August 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope the Chinese girls are not too young. Rumors are one thing, but if they are underage they should be able to produce concrete facts to prove it one way or another.

August 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Cindi Abbott

OMG, if he picks Hillary, he will look weak and desperate!! You guys have to remember how polarizing she is !! People either love or hate her. Obviously, picking her would get HER supporters on board, but he would also lose a lot of us who do NOT like or trust the Clintons. I believe that he would simply trade voting blocks if he picks her. In my book, the Clintons have some SERIOUS character issues that I, and many others,just can't get past.

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If the passports have incorrect ages, then the Chinese government was complicit.

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Tony

China always cheat on anything and everything,

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Tish,NC

I do worry about Obama picking Hillary because then Bill would have to get in the mix...we all know he can mess things up sometimes!

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Bonnie/St. Louis

So what happens if they find out she's underage? Nothing–right!

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Betty Ann , Nacogdoches,TX

ancient Chinese secret. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  39. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

It's China! Are we surprised? What a great thing to teach children. Unfortunately, the children are going to be caught in the middle and they will be branded for life, once the truth is revealed. I'm making assumptions of course...

August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Colleen Michaelson, Duluth, Mn.

The sad part about the alleged underage Chinese gymnasts is that they were exploited by their own government. If a governemnt cheats like that what would stop a government like China from cheating on deals with this country.

August 21, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

ohhh bad news, that is cheat age!!!!!!! they supposed to change their age like passport, they lied their age......... keep them honest...........

August 21, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. BONNIE T.

When you can't answer a simple question as to how many homes you have, what is going to happen when he has to make some REAL IMPORTANT DECISIONS! I don't if he is capable of making decisions or running this country. Also, I don't think his joking comments are funny, either!

August 21, 2008 at 10:44 pm |