August 21st, 2008

EVENING BUZZ: OBAMA’S VEEP CHOICE

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/21/obama.-.8.21postable.jpg caption="Barack Obama has decided on a running mate."]

Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

Right out of the gate tonight… a breaking story from the campaign trail. Barack Obama has decided on a running mate. He’s not saying much more than that. Until he sends that promised text message to his supporters, speculation is all we’ve got. We’ll be taking a close look at exactly what Obama told a reporter today – and looking for new clues between the lines. In other words, we’ll be serving up seasoned, informed speculation – straight from the best political team on television.

Beyond the veep stakes, there were plenty of other sparks on the trail today. When a reporter asked John McCain how many homes he and his wife own, he came up blank and said he’d check with his staff. The Obama campaign grabbed the gaffe and ran with it, cranking out a television ad painting McCain as out of touch, an elitist. The McCain camp fired right back, saying Obama is the real elitist. (Watching this, we flashed back to a playground rumble from yesteryear: “You’re an elitist!” “Am not – you’re the elitist!” “Uh-huh. You’re the elitist!”) We’ll be looking at how much damage, if any, McCain’s gaffe inflicted on his campaign – and also whether Obama’s attacks could backfire.

Then there’s the so-called August Curse that’s torpedoed many a Democratic presidential candidate. Will Obama be its next victim? Or will he rally in Denver and deliver the fire that some voters are demanding? What does he need to do to seal the deal with voters who are on the line? So many questions. CNN’s John King has some answers.

Finally, we’re following a new development in the story that’s rocked the Olympics. Are China’s gymnasts as young as they look? Tonight there are new claims of proof that China lied about some of the girls’ ages – and the IOC has launched an investigation.

All of that is coming up at 10 eastern. See you then.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Gianna Ancich

Please select Hillary as your VP. Everyone I know will then vote for you and Hillary -all hands down! The Republicans and McCain will drop dead when you announce your VP is Hillary! Just the announcement will give you a 20 point lead!

August 21, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Marissa Ancich

I am very much hoping for the Dream Ticket! I love both Obama and Hillary. I believe 100% of all Democrats and even More will vote and defeat McCain. Obama and Hillary will be UNBEATABLE!

August 21, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Marissa Ancich

I am very much hoping for the DREAM TICKET

August 21, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Gianna Ancich

PLEASE CHOOSE HILLARY! She has a WOW FACTOR and you need the Clintons to beat the Republicans! I made lots of money when Clinton was President and now I'm poor. Please choose HILLARY!

OBAMA/CLINTON – LET'S DANCE!!!

August 21, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  5. DGrossman

The only SMART choice would be to vote for Hillary! It is going to take Obama and Hillary to beat the mean Republican extreme machine! Even Women Republicans will come out and rebel against their families just to help push a Woman into a VP position and be a part of History. Voting for Hillary will unite the Democrat party and people will be dancing in the streets! Be smart and choose Hillary!!

August 21, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. barry

if it is not HRC count me in the McCain camp...thats not a vote against Obama but a message to the DNC to not just put in their candidate,,,
    a vote against Palosi, Reid, Dean and Kennedy..

August 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

Of the three men CNN has reported that Obama is considering my pick would be Joe Biden. He has always been a superlative Senator and is very knowledgeable of foreign affairs. If Obama has a surprise for his VP I hope its Hillary but I don't see him picking her or her wanting it. Guess we will see tomorrow.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 21, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  8. LeeAnn

Hi Cate,
    I wonder what the speculators think of VA Governor Tim Kaine. I did alittle reading a find he's got quite a personal and professional resume to compliment and strengthen Obama:

*He's a dedicated Catholic
    *He was a missionary in Honduras
    *While in Honduras he taught vocational skills
    *Fluent in Spanish
    *Traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan to visit the troops
    *High Approval ratings and successful economic management of Virginia

So what he would bring to the ticket would be international experience, religious conviction, a connection to blue collar/middle America and proven success during tough economic times.

(in the spirit of full disclosure I live in VA and think very highly of my Governor–can you tell?!) 🙂

August 21, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. JEANNE PELLEY

Hillary if Barck wants the White house or all is lost for the Democrats Mark my word Jeanne in Cincicnnati

August 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  10. TP

Doesn't matter.....he is going to lose anyway. Sorry CNN, your love affair with the savior will soon be over.

August 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Sharon Wilberding

John McCain has seven homes, but I can't even
    get a cell phone.

Louisville, Ky

August 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Cindi Abbott

If he picks Clinton, he will look weak and desperate. Also, picking her pick will bring her voters to the fold, it will certainly alienate those of us who do NOT like or trust the Clintons. He would simply trade voting blocks if he selects her. Biden is more qualified than all of these folks!

August 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Tara

I am hoping it is not Hill. Please don't let "Pres. Obama" pick someone that he will be requireed to watch his back 24/7

August 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. James Dylan

Unless it is Clinton it doesn't make any difference who Obama's VP is. She is the only one that can stop the slide of his poll numbers and perhaps deliver the white house to the democrats. Of course the arguments that she will be the democratic version of Cheney have truly yet to argued. In the end I do not believe she would take the job.

August 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  15. DrDon

How dare Obama attack McCain for being an eletist for not knowing the number of condo investments he has, when Obvama"s house was a gift of corrupt Chicago slum-lord Tony Rezko, for his involvement w/ this political fixer....he even bankrollled his campaigns!

August 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Rose Marie Cave

I'm one of "those" who will be voting republican unless Hillary is selected as VP. Obama sealed his fate with me when he tried to sound like Hillary. For some reason I really don't believe he's going to wake up worrying about America in the same way Hillary would have, shes been doing it for a long long time now .I do feel there is a lot of buyers remorse going on in the democratic party right now with good reason. I mean who cares how many houses McCain has or has not we all know his wife is wealthy and probably takes care of all those investments. Think he has best clean up his own backyard on his real estate investment. Americans are not stupid, Obama needs to start talking and saying something soon. Like I'd like to present my vice president Hillary Clinton if he wants to live in the white house.

August 21, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  17. jim

Barack Hussein Obama best chance is Joe Biden. Regardless of who he picks, he is going to lose. His remark about his grandmother "Typical White Person" will come back to haunt him

August 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  18. John

Oh no!! I hope Mrs. Clinton would not tash her good name away working with a slug like Obama!! Hillary need to go back and finish her old job and work for a better future. The dem. had the big chance two years ago and did nothing to stop the War. They Bush a open check book!!! Folks im sorry but Obama is not the ansewer, that's why were all voting for Mr. McCain!!! McCain has the leadership skills need to do the job.

August 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Shawn - Marin County California

This show is more openly biased against Republicans than my neighbors.

August 21, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Rita in GA

I really hope that it's Colen Powell. He is very well known and respected by all.

August 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Chip

Its got to be someone with instant "wow" recognition. Joe Biden may be the odds on favorite, but ..... when those text messages start my money is on Al Gore! instant credibility on energy, economy, and the world stage.

P.S. My heart is still with Hillary

August 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  22. lampe

if Obama,wants to win it will be Sen. Clinton. If he doesn't I hope Sen. McCain, will be the real party uniter, and pick Sen. Clinton.

August 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Randy in Seattle

I hope for our Country it is HILLARY CLINTON the SUPERTICKET, things have been very quiet when it comes to her which makes me think It just might be and for the sake of winning the whitehouse he needs her to take back the votes he is losing. We all knew that they need each other regardless of who was the winner had it been hillary she would have picked OBAMA. She even said so. Do what is best for the country PIc HILLARY

August 21, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  24. Saima, TX

I am guessing its Mrs. Clinton...but lets see

August 21, 2008 at 9:37 pm |
  25. Paf

The vp choice must be Hilary to win; otherwise, the next president will be John McCain. There is no other alternative to this irreversible one-way traffic!

August 21, 2008 at 9:33 pm |
  26. lynn

Hope it's Lugar....

August 21, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  27. Betty Ann , Nacogdoches,TX

Jim~Let's hope it IS Hillary!
    Probably Senator Biden though~

August 21, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  28. Trisha, North Carolina

Definitely not HRC. Let's put aside the negative feelings but Bill has a lot of iffy issues going on with the funding of his library. Let's also just say, he doesn't ever need to be in the white house again. The Dems wouldn't win with that ticket. No Independents and Republicans would vote for Obama. He's going to get the Democratic vote if people care about their pocket books or not putting a man in the white house who thinks the economy is good and that we are whiners or a guy who can't even admit how many houses he and his family owns while he's saying the economy is good.

V.P will be Joe Biden. He's tough, good looking and most importantly he won't take no stuff from Carl Rove's folks. They know it and so does Obama.

I'm waiting on my text.

August 21, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  29. Georgia

Well if he wants to be President then it better be Hillary. My second choice would be Condolita Rice. So yes I am white but only looking at the best fits with the most experience to lead our country in this crucial time. It is not time for change it's time to re-enforce our strength as a nation. When we get our strength back then we can look to change.

August 21, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  30. JC- Los Angeles

I believe it's Michelle Obama who actually made the VP selection; she has carefully orchestrated here husband's every move with this decision being the most important.

For a candidate with no experience and his opposition to the Iraq war being his only real rallying cry, I believe Michelle had to select Wesley Clark.

August 21, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  31. Jocelyne

Hello Cate,
    Nice to read your post. Can't wait to actually read officially who's Obama's veep choice. to Larry: hi, I share yr feeling: we'll know soon..:). AC360, have a grt show tonite.

August 21, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  32. JIM....TEXAS

Let's hope it's NOT Hillary.:)

August 21, 2008 at 9:09 pm |