August 21st, 2008

Dancers, wrestlers and rock stars: the Conventions aren't all politics

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/21/art.2004convention.jpg caption="Wolf Blitzer and Art Alexakis of Everclear, delegate from Oregon at the 2004 Democratic Convention."]

Kay Jones
AC360° Booker

Four years ago, I jetted to Boston for the Democratic Convention to book interviews for Wolf Blitzer. I had never been to a convention before, so I didn’t know what to expect. And what I saw wasn't, ah, strictly political.

I saw Terry McAuliffe, then head of the DNC, dancing on the side of the stage at the Black Eyed Peas concert.

I saw members of World Wrestling Entertainment mingling on the convention floor with the likes of Sen. Max Clelend.

I got to meet rock stars who were delegates. And some delegations were so excited to hear Sen. Kerry speak that they had matching "Kerry 2004" hats, ties, you name it.

This year, as we are gearing up to head to Denver for CNN’s coverage, we're talking about serious political issues, of course. But I can't wait to see what else lies ahead.

Will Howard Dean cut a rug with Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas?

How loud will INVESCO Field get for Sen. Obama’s acceptance speech, and will it rival the volume normally reserved there for a Denver Bronco’s touchdown?

I'll be blogging about whatever happens, for sure.

Filed under: Raw Politics
  1. Ito

John Kerry's convention in 2004 was loaded with all Hollywood who was who. What came out of it? Failure.

This thing about Obama's wife speaking first is just not right. C'mmon, get serious with real political stuff and not show-case a family affair. Cut out all the fluffs and get real with the issues that will defeat McCain because the Republican are NOT just going to hand over power without real bruises to the Democrats. You can bet on that.
    The Karl Roves of the world are not dead yet.

August 21, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

Having watched conventions in the past I know they are high energy events – the ones this year should be off the charts. I hope that you will tell us all about what you see Kay – give us the flavor of what its really like to be there in the midst of all that bedlam.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 21, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Larry

heheh I'd like to see Howard do the cartwheels that Fergie did to Heart's performance of Barracuda at the Idol Gives Back show.

August 21, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  4. Becky, Shreveport

Everyone should go over to Red Rocks because I believe NOFX will be playing there tomorrow- Friday.

August 21, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  5. Sharon from Indy

Kay,
    The DNC should remember the Baby Boomers. How about Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane (Starship) or a little Carly Simon?

We are the majority right now. And we vote.

August 21, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  6. Cherisa

I'm in Denver currently for a conference. While I'm not into politics, it's interesting just to observe all the preparations. I hate that I'm leaving Saturday, just as everything is gearing up. It certainly sounds like it will be quite an experience.

August 21, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  7. Pat

Kay if you see Howard dancing with Fergie be sure to get us a picture! I'm sure all be surprised that Howard is a Get Up, Dance and Party kind of guy! 🙂

August 21, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  8. JC- Los Angeles

With the state of our economy in ruins due in large part to our horrendous leaders, politicians and executives, shouldn't the conventions to toned down with the money spent on more pressing concerns?

I knew that Terry McAuliffe was provided $13 million in Global Crossing stock options in exchange for a few speeches, however, I had no idea he also benefited from free concerts.

Judging from the stories swirling around about politicians and their sweetheart loans, I'm surprised you didn't mention that Countrywide had a table set up at the convention to grant such loans.

Sad commentary on our value system.

August 21, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  9. Larry

heheh Freudian slip, he actually hates 'black' people:)

August 21, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  10. Larry

Cool, a former member of the fugees, Wyclef Jean & Kanye West ( guess he'll do his 'George Bush hates white people' bit)

August 21, 2008 at 3:27 pm |