August 20th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/20/08

Hope you’re enjoying the documentaries from John King and Suzanne Malveaux on McCain and Obama.  They run until 11p and after that AC360° is LIVE until 12a.

Anderson is off tonight.  John King is anchoring, live blogging and on our studio webcam.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica’s webcast.  LINK TO WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kenny in NC

And who says "One Monkey Doesn't Stop The Show"? LOL.

August 20, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  2. Jatovi, NC

Ok, I'll be honest, I thank John McCain for his service but I am very tired of hearing about it. Give me more than just you were a P.O.W., what are you going to do to get me a better life. Tell me about now and tomorrow more than just hey do you know that I was captured in a war, and I know this will spark an heated discussion, but give me more than just I was in Vietnam, another war we were not suppose to be a part of.

August 20, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  3. Patricia

You're right, Mike, but I think we are going to see a change in that referendum. Obama is fighting back with the facts again! McCain can't win on the issues as they stand.... that's why he has had to resort to distortions and out and out lies!

August 20, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  4. Mike

Patricia: I agree with you 100%. As long as Obama stay's on point to everything he has built this campaign on, Hope and a swift dose of honesty and fact when he does put his ads out or hits the stump, he can't miss on achieving a great message by seperating his plans and the wins from McCains.

August 20, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

John King,
    I agree with you too....... he is best.......

August 20, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Heather

Gary is without question! Is he anchored to something so he doesn't get blown away?

August 20, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  7. MaryBeth

LOL...poor Gary Tuchman. Someone said last night he was probably in the middle of the storm in Florida.

August 20, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  8. Shannon

McCain was talking about the surge at a town hall? This is all he talks about, I would love to know what is health care, education, social security, and other plans involve.

August 20, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

McCain has been successful in redefining this election as a referendum on Obama's qualifications instead of on President Bush. People are beginning to look behind the curtain and see that the wizard isn't really a wizard.

August 20, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  10. john king cnn

ok - you have to love gary for hanging in there – or out there – in the middle of fay.

a trooper. we'll get to him soon and get him inside - promise!!

August 20, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Gary Tuchman is so brave standing hold on during Tropical Storm in Florida, Tell Gary Hang in there........ stay safe.

August 20, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Oh my, I feel so sorry for Gary Tuchman. No one could ever accuse him off not working above and beyond the call of duty.

August 20, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  13. Heather

John what if it was a 3am text message?Did Obama say what time of day? What if the world was asleep and missed it?

August 20, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  14. Jolene

John: Ha! Never thought about the Obama VP text message going out at 3AM! I didn't sign up, I'll wait for CNN to tell me via their text alerts.

August 20, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  15. Kenny in NC

MaryBeth, I agree with you about being called "MY FRIENDS" by McCain. I have herd it so much and it sounds so fake that I almost puke when I hear him say it. Maybe he should pick up something, Ladies and Gentlemen.

August 20, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  16. carrieinSterling, Va

I don't think Biden would be good for Obama-even with his foreign policy experience-he's been in the senate for decades and undercuts his message of change-Biden didn't catch fire as a presidential candidate and he has a lot more exp than Obama-the ticket should be reversed-but with Obama it's charisma not qualifications.

August 20, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  17. Patricia

I think Obama will do fine if he just keeps attacking... yes, I said attacking... the republican administration on the mess they have made of things.... as well as contrasting his stance on issues compared to that of McCain. McCain appears to want four more years of Bush. Obama is offering hope for a new future for the middle class as well as our image in the world. If he sticks to the issues, he can't help but win. Fighting back is not a bad thing!!! At least Obama fights with the truth!

August 20, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  18. JoAnn in Chicago

Senator Obama cut his teeth in outreach grassroots programs not only in his upbringing, but on the southside of Chicago where I grew up! If anybody knows what poor and middle-class people are concerned about, it's Senator Barack Obama. Senator McCain knows NOTHING about the plight of ordinary folk. McCain is the ELITIST!!! Wake-up America! Some of you need to get over your racism!!

August 20, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  19. Terrence Davey-Saginaw, MI

I think Obama will pick a woman for his VP. Hillary or Kathleen Sebelius. McCain will pick Romney. If either picks someone other than those above, they will have a tough row to hoe.

August 20, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  20. Gary Granger

Sunflowers wilt in November.

August 20, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Erica, I hope your computer is working now.... 😉

August 20, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  22. Eduardo

Polls don't mean anything until election day comes. They're like snapshots at a horse race... they will tell you how a candidate is doing at the moment the poll was taken but there are still alot of turns ahead

August 20, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  23. Kenny in NC

Good evening all bloggers. A bit late tonight but it was worth the wait to see the McCain and Obama Revealed. Both were most informative.

August 20, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  24. carrieinSterling, Va

Gabrielle-voting present is a way to get out of taking a hard stand on tough issues-did you watch the special?

August 20, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  25. Heather

I really liked the special on McCain. It's the little things that you don't hear in speeches that really tells you about someone.

August 20, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  26. ericacnn

whew! back up and running complete with power cord, rebooted laptop and IE that is working (fingers crossed)

August 20, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  27. john king cnn

we are joking about not being too far away from the pager in case the obama text comes in ... a whole new version of that 3 a.m. call conversation ... it can get a little punchy in the days leading up to a vp selection .....

August 20, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  28. Mike

I agree that Hillary is a great choice for Barack. Biden would be a great pick also. I think they both have the right stuff when it comes to getting the ball rolling in many different facets of Gov operations. McCain is in a tougher spot with his VP choice. All you will hear is the far right crying if he goes with anyone but Romney. I agree that Lieberman is putting policy and country before partisanship and I respect that very much. But it coulnd't happen because McCain would lose a ton of support from the base.

August 20, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  29. Eduardo

Clinton is not the smart choice for Obama maainly because she doesn't adda nything to the ticket. What Obama needs is someone whos strong on foreign policy more than any other time mainly because the Russian-Georgean crissis

August 20, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  30. Karen

Have you noticed how so many people remark how Obama needs someone tough, an attack dog, someone to fight his battles for him.
    That's the kind of vp he needs. Wait, why can't he do his own fighting?
    If he won't fight for himeself, how can we expect him to fight for us?

August 20, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  31. kenny

Wayne, I totally agree with you about the polls. Regardless of what candidate you are supporting.

August 20, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  32. Jolene

If Obama picks Hillary for VP, his leadership skills will surely be tested. Hillary is a fighter and Bill has presidential experience. It will definitely be interesting to watch their interactions especially if they disagree on something.

August 20, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  33. Heather

Thank you Mike!I love Lieberman! You are right!

August 20, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  34. Liz

I'm very tired of McCain negative ads and the issue of Obama's lack of experience. The american people have lived eight years with a president with questionable experience and questionable judgment , has left this country in a mess. I believe this country needs Obama as our president . I believe he will be more responsible and not just pander to he base, like the current president.

August 20, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  35. Steve - southern Illinois

Gina, Missouri – good thinking! I'll say a prayer for Florida also.

August 20, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar

Gina – Missouri,
    I am with you too. My hearts go to the Florida state.... I hope that they will be alive but only one killed.......

August 20, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  37. Cheryl

I think Obama will pick Joe Biden for Vp, I would like to see Obama call McCain on the attacks and be more forceful with his stance on the issues, I would rather vote for the quote "unknown" then the more of the same!
    Excellent program tonight.

August 20, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  38. Lou

I agree with Bill Schneider, he may have no choice but to take Hillary.

August 20, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  39. tiffany

Hi John

dose these polls,poll african americans.
    i been voting for years now. And always had the same home phone#.

August 20, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  40. carrieinSterling, Va

I personally would like to see McCain/Leiberman-but I don't think it will happen and I hope it doesn't because I want him to win! He doesn't need Leiberman to prove he can work bi-partisanly-he has a long record of it-but I think Leiberman's support is a strong statement about McCain's independence.

August 20, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  41. Wayne from Wright Patterson AFB

As has been thoroughly explored, the great deal of polling methods are insufficient and obtaining reliable results when it comes to what may take place come election day. The shame, of course, is that the more headlines that polls make, the more people will be swayed by the bandwagon effect. Self-fulfilling prophecy at its best (worst).

August 20, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Lieberman is putting country in front of party. If more people did that we'd have a better governnment. Preople who call him a traitor just don't get it.

August 20, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  43. Jolene

I don't think Obama is showing strength when it comes to the economy. Neither is McCain so for me it's about VP selection and their strengths regarding the economy.

August 20, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  44. Gabriele-Seattle, WA

Mary H, St. Louis, MO: Voting present in Illinois is part of the voting process. You vote present when you support part of a bill but not all of it.

August 20, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  45. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Yay... the wonderful map. I'm glad you guys have dusted it off for tonight...

August 20, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  46. Gerry W

It seems silly to weight all polls as equal, surely some are more reliable than others. Also if polls in August were important, there would have been a President Dukakis.

August 20, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  47. carrieinSterling, Va

Obama is -as far as I can tell the least exp. candidate to ever run for President-at least in modern times-I don't see why anyone would vote for him.

August 20, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  48. Vickie Hall

Seems to me that Clinton may be Obama's ONLY smart choice if he is going to gain any ground in the election – then again I'm not sure that will do anything to help me (although I like Hillary).

August 20, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  49. Manny Alvarez

Correction I am tired. I will not vote for McCain, all he would do it continue the same policies of President Bush.

August 20, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  50. Gina - Missouri

I pray for those in Florida with all that rain, floods are devastating whether it be river as here in MO or hurricane, which may be even worse...

August 20, 2008 at 11:20 pm |