August 20th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/20/08

Hope you’re enjoying the documentaries from John King and Suzanne Malveaux on McCain and Obama.  They run until 11p and after that AC360° is LIVE until 12a.

Anderson is off tonight.  John King is anchoring, live blogging and on our studio webcam.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica’s webcast.  LINK TO WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Steve - southern Illinois

How can anyone respect someone like Lieberman who calls himself a Democrat but takes every opportunity to stab every other Democrat in the back.

August 20, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  2. MaryBeth

Sara: exactly!! How many of us loyal Democrats/Republicans aren't being polled because we are of the younger generation that don't have traditional phone lines? No one has my number unless I give it out.

August 20, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  3. kenny

Obama does not need Clinton to win the white house. This is a creation of the media...These polls mean nothing...I doubt they are accurate...I never believe them when Obama was ahead by 12%...I have not been poll during the primary nor have I been poll for the general.,..That should tell you something..maybe if they called me, Obama's numbers will go up...

August 20, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  4. Patricia

Hello, everyone.... I'm new to the blogs. I agree with whomever said that the polls cannot be trusted. How many Universities have been polled? I don't know a single person who has been polled. I'm a teachers, I talk to a lot of people!

August 20, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  5. Lou

The documentaries were excellent tonight. I have less respect for John McCain after seeing the show tonight. He is the one that is only out for political gain. He has been looking for a new job since 1958

August 20, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  6. MaryBeth

Mary: he explained those votes. Here, in Illinois, that is the way to say that there are serious issues with the bills being voted on. In DC things are handled differently. Since he discovered that, he has voted either yea or nay more often.

August 20, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  7. Manny Alvarez

I am a registered Republican who will vote for McCain. Alex mentioned that Obama is a open book and inexperience however McCain has flip-flopped so much that he has lost credibility.

And Let's face it, John would only serve 1 term because of his age. He will be able to move any real legislation during a 4 year term.

I am sorry Alex, I am crossing party lines and voting for Obama.

August 20, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  8. Jatovi, NC

McCain is trying to win an election. I totally agree with Hillary Rosen. He even found "faith."

August 20, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  9. Shannon

I simply don't trust McCain to keep the country safe, he is too trigger happy. I am scared of what he would consider a good V.P. to follow his lead.

August 20, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  10. Gerry

Why is it the press only talk about Obama's polls when they drop and never talk about them when they rise. Polls go up and down and cannot be trusted at this pointinthe cycle.

McCain should have been careful what he asked for. He wants negative, he's going to get negative.

August 20, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Linda, Los Angeles

Shannon, I agree completely with you! Couldn't believe when he said that Obama is still trying to figure who he is. Are we to believe that with all his accomplishment and success he doesn't know who he is? Alex needs to do better on the spin tactics.

August 20, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  12. Steve - southern Illinois

Hearing these polls the past couple of days makes me think Barack Obama might have picked a bad time to go on vacation. I'd feel a lot better if the Dem Convention was last instead of the Republicans.

Thanks for your comment Megan Dresslar.

August 20, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  13. Terrence Davey-Saginaw, MI

As long as McCain doesn't do something stupid, Obama is toast. As the mainstream media said about Bush, Obama lacks gravitas.

August 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  14. Renee Campeau

i think Obama now needs Hillary Clinton....as a democrat i want the dream ticket...with both of them together McCain has no chance....
    democrats need to be ruthless just like neo cons republicans are....
    fight fire with fire....
    obama-clinton 08

August 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  15. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

The comments your quests just stated came through on the revealed piece. I don't think Obama is tested enough. I forgot about all those votes he casted as "present" which seemed like an easy out or maybe his lack of experience showing.

August 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  16. Gina - Missouri

at least Obama's "negative" ads are backed by facts of McCain's record and current policies...

August 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  17. MaryBeth

I don't think Obama is "amorphous" at all. If you listen to him, especially at this last Faith Forum, he was very definite about where he stands on issues.

August 20, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  18. Jolene

I think McCain will go with Romney also. I think they cut a deal and it was part of the reason why Romney backed out of the race when he did. But then again, there are always surprises.

August 20, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  19. Shannon

Alex's analysis was so full of spin, I am dizzy!!!!! Please! Obama knows exactly who is and what he believes. Just because he speaks in complete sentences and with introspection does not mean he is formless. I am so bored of the GOP strategy this year. It would be nice to talk policy that will improve our lives for a change, but then again after the past 8 years they can't do it.

August 20, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  20. brenda

WHY ???? Because people are finally beginning to see that he is just a man of words !!! So much for the CHANGE talk – we don"t see anything different from every other politician out there. All he seem to be doing is to wait for the McCain camp to say something and then jump on it , instead of having some say of his own. He did the same thing with Hilary and it worked, but hope and pray the Republicans don't get scared away .

August 20, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  21. carrieinSterling, Va

McCain had no choice but to go negative against Obama since the press had virtually been ignoring him-he tried to engage Obama in Town Halls -but Obama refused-I'm sick of Obama's whining-and he's running plenty of negative adds too.

August 20, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  22. Mike, Syracuse, NY

John King, I have a lot of respect for Lieberman. I thought the wrong guy headed the Dem. ticket in 2000. I'm afraid that McCain can't pick him without a big conservative backlash. He'd be great in the cabinet though.

August 20, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  23. Shannon

Hillary Rosen was right on and Obama is right on all the issues and platform. He needs to nail it down over and over. All McCain can do is respond with attacks against Obama and not promote his policies.

August 20, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  24. Sara

Marybeth: Aren't cell numbers unlisted? I know I've never been polled either, what with no land line, only a cell.

August 20, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  25. Gina - Missouri

Obama may look forward" to the next job"... I think he has been looking towards a job where he can lead to the biggest changes for our country. I think he is Ready To Lead...

August 20, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  26. Gabriele-Seattle, WA

I really don't pay that much attention to polls yet. I have not been polled this time but I was in 2004. I found myself having to think before I answerd the questions because of the way they were asked.

August 20, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

@ Steve – southern Illinois
    I agree with you, I know that Obama have to pick or choose vice president Hillary Clinton..... if not.

August 20, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  28. Steve - southern Illinois

I sure wish Obama would hurry up and announce his VP pick. I don't want to wait until Saturday!

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  29. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi all, the specials were good tonight. McCain is playing psychological games with his party. He's picking Romney.

Obama is just getting started. Last week was an interesting week with the Georgia issue and Obama's vacation.

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  30. ericacnn

hi, everyone. hope you caught the "revealed" docs – they were excellent.

we need to get john a pic for his posts!

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  31. carrieinSterling, Va

After watching Obama revealed I am convinced that it is not that audacity of hope but the audacity of ambition that is driving Obama-and that he is not experienced enough for President.

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  32. Jolene

I'm not a Lieberman fan. He seems like old stodge to me.

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  33. Claire

I'm really hoping to see Biden run with Obama, John. Since I don't care too much for McCain I really doesn't matter too much to me who he picks. Although, I really dislike Romney so if he was on the ticket it would make it even worse.

August 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  34. MaryBeth

Sara: i agree. I've never been polled, and that's because all I have is a cell phone, no land line. How many ppl aren't being polled because of that?

August 20, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  35. Sara

A Mccain/Lieberman ticket would be great - it would get Joe out of my home state of CT for a few months!

August 20, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  36. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

John,
    Good to have you on AC360. I really enjoyed both of the pieces on the candidates. I think they were very well done and gave us an excellent view of what shaped these 2 men.

Looking forward to all the Dem Convention coming up next week.

August 20, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  37. MaryBeth

I'm so sick of McCain calling us "my friends." How ironic a former almost VP of a Democrat is now being talked about as a possible VP of a Republican....Wonder what Al Gore is thinking about that...

August 20, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The documentaries on the two candidates were well done. I have more respect for McCain, and hope it stops many of the lies out there about him. With Obama it seems like he's always been looking for the next job after a year or two.

August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  39. Jolene

Hi John: You did a great job on the McCain Revealed special. I enjoyed watching it. I'm ready for the conventions also.

August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  40. john king cnn

any lieberman for gop vp out there?

dont bet on it but it's added drama. which some of us like!

August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  41. Shannon

Step it up Obama!!! It doesn't matter how McCain responds, he is on the wrong side of all the issues so whatever Obama does he will spin it as evil.

August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  42. Sara

Ever since the NH primary, I've been skeptical of these polls. Especially in this, the era of cell phones.

August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  43. Gina - Missouri

I am tired of McCain's negative ads. "The Taxman Commeth" quote is from George Will in 1992! More lies and distortions in each ad.

August 20, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Actually the polls mean more and more the closer we get to the conventions. People are paying attention now.

August 20, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Gina - Missouri

The "revealed" specials were very enlightening on both sides. Thanks for this series!

August 20, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  46. MaryBeth

These polls don't mean anything. Remember not long ago when they were tied?

August 20, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  47. Steve - southern Illinois

I wouldn't have said this two months ago. But I'm hoping Obama chooses Clinton.

August 20, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  48. MaryBeth

Hi John! Welcome back!!

August 20, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo John, Erica and best bloggers!!!
    I was enjoying Revealed the documentaries from John and Suzanne!!
    it is so awesome show tonight!

August 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  50. john king cnn

hi everyone ... havent been here in a while .. nice to be back - and at an exciting time ... 10 weeks to go ...

i'm looking forward to the conventions - but first to breaking the map out for the first time in what seems forever .. thanks for staying up late for us tonight ...

August 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |