August 19th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Tuesday, Tuesday

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

Ever wonder what really happens on the campaign trail? Not the sound bites or the town halls, I’m talking about the behind-the-scenes moments most of us will never experience. Lucky for you, the Best Political Team on TV is also online. Two of our producers who are on the road with the McCain and Obama campaigns have some little known stories for you, offering insight into the two men vying for the White House.

The “big foot” two men claim to have found recently in the North Georgia mountains is – brace yourselves – a hoax. Hard to believe, since their photo of the creature looked oh so real… the super white, even teeth, the stuffed-animal like fur and that wacky appendage draped across the “body” were so convincing – almost as convincing as they were at last week’s press conference.

Now we have that “scientific proof” that press conference lacked, and it confirms what many thought form the beginning. “Big foot” was actually a rubber body and a costume.

How pathetic. A man captured on surveillance video wrestles an 85 year old woman to the ground in an elevator, steals $900 and her cane before leaving her there. NY police think this man could be connected to other elevator attacks, and they’re asking for your help. The victim is in the hospital.

This is ridiculous. A grown man attacks an elderly woman in an elevator? Cowardly, pathetic, wrong and just plain sad.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note • T1
  1. Scott W., Westlake, LA

Hey Erica,
    I know how you guys always follow that Zogby poll. What are people saying about who should be allowed in the upcoming debates. Do we have to beat these 2 candidates into everyone's subconscience or is there another choice out there.

I would like to vote this year but does it have to be for O Cain or Mc Bama?
    Freedom from these 2 parties that have stangled our country and done whatever the would like with tax dolars would be a pleasent change.
    I would like to keep them honest just for once!

August 20, 2008 at 1:57 am |
  2. Don, WA

Another bogus bigfoot – the real bigfoots (bigfeet?) must be laughing at us...again.

August 20, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  3. William Courtland North43ºWest93º

So what are those many movie directors up to; hey isn't controlling hundreds of millions of dollars good practice for being president..?

All the many on-screen creations can be made available and even intregrate into a mass digital world run along side a rail system in fibre-optic and insulated wire bundles, such a system would require congressional approval to meet the futures mail requirements as protected cargo mail, express post, digital and telecommunicational receptions, Radio broadcasting, and is also expected for the licensing and rated availability for entertainment media output.

So a giant multi-national digital computing network created from the top down to allow mass media playing and sharing, and incorporates into all social, and business functions, as well as many residential, commercial, industrially unionized, government identified, and public utilities ones.

Yep, and stop looking, as we most likely killed the last of them in the late 18 000 BC or just threaten them for right of discovery as we rape the dark heart of the forest, we slaughtered them right along with the gremlin-merefolk and the last of the neanderthals living under our first bridges.

She needs an emergency transmitter and GPS response unit imbedded in her cane, or on her purse, or on her wrist near the pulse. or on a cell phone or hand held pocket entertainment unit or a digital music allocating and playback machine.

August 20, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  4. Gina

As always a delight to hear your comments!

August 20, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  5. Azeez

OMG! BIGFoot is still out there?

August 19, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  6. Andrew

Hi Erica,

I must admit i enjoy watching AC 360 but Erica you have me coming back.
    Ok, we all knew that big foot story was a hoax, i guess it would have been credible if the "creature" wasn't captured by the two guys who just happen to own a business which sells big foot merchandise. Good one though guys! TRY AGAIN

August 19, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    So Big Foot was a wild and woolly fake. Something tells me, that this frozen footman, won't be the last imposture to grab a headline or two.
    As with all things in life..trust yet verify..

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

August 19, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Mary from NC

Erika this is a little off the subject but I think that John McCain should be ashamed of himself in some of the attacks he has made on Barrack Obama. He claims to want to run a respectful campaign, but to me he appears to be a shifty-eyed slimy little stinker with his forced grin when he calls himself cracking a joke. he dishonors himself with his warmongering and his name calling. John's biggest claim to fame is that he got shot down years ago. He has been in government for 26yrs what has he done in the past to make this country energy efficient?, What has he done for poor folks? Not much. I would love to see a campaign without smear tactics. He is also a person who cheated on his wife (the 1st Mrs McCain) Where was the honor in that? Or was he a Gold Digger himself. He knew Cindy was an heiress. See what I mean shifty little bugger.

August 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Kevin C., Portland, OR

Hi Erica,

You crack me up. The banter between you and AC is great.

August 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

Big Foot – a rubber body and a costume. That is funny. I'm glad we found out it was a hoax; I would hate to think Big Foot was as ugly as what they showed. Not that I believe in Big Foot.....but it is always nice to have a mysterious legend that no one quite knows for sure if its true or not.

People that attack elderly persons and rob from them and hurt them are just trash in my view. I hope they catch the person doing this and get the maximum sentence for him/her. Preying on the helpless is totally repugnant.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  11. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Hello Erica, see you guys tonight*

August 19, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  12. Melissa, Los Angeles

I couldn't wait until this whole Bigfoot think was debunked! Their attempt at a get rich scheme has made them the laughing stock of the country – was it worth it?

I can't make myself watch the video of the mugging. The guy (not worthy to even be called a man) is beyond a loser for taking advantage of the elderly. I just wish she had a gun so she could've shot his sorry patoot!

August 19, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  13. Larry

Hi Erica,

Do the candidates have groupies?:)

August 19, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  14. Jim in Ca.

Hi Erica, -If I find a Sasquatch dead,The first thing I'll do is take lots of CLEAR Photo's with a tape measure, Then Get the thing X rayed & M.R.I.d as quickly as possible, Then get a REPUTABLE Researcher
    & do a full & PROPER Autopsy Video taped – THEN & ONLY When I Had EVIDENCE that would stand up in Court Would I call in the Media to View & examine the Body. Now if one could be caught ALIVE If it was me that caught it, It would be in a Very Sturdy Cage & do what Anderson did with the Sharks- Let the Skeptics get up CLOSE & maybe even put the hoaxers in the cage with it to see what Bigfoot thinks of liers & Hoaxers. Maybe we should throw the elevator mugger in there too & let Him be mugged.

August 19, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  15. Betty Ann , Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Erica!
    I thought those punks murdered big foot and I was really ticked off.
    But hey, they only pretended to "find" a corspe and pull a big hoax on the public.
    Talk about the summer time blues~
    Very funny. They will have a lot to write about "what they did on their summer vacation."
    Here is a tip boys: Next summer take up water sports, volunteering in your community or just get a job!

Thank goodness the lochness monster is still safe though 😉

August 19, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  16. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, I hope they catch the mugger soon. Needless to say, it will be nice if these apartments will up the ante on security, like have a security guard monitor people going in and out of the building, or hire someone to escort people, especially the elderly, as they go into elevators. I thought I heard a similar story in the New York area about 6 months ago. I wonder if the mugger then is the same man we’re talking about now? I hope not, because if it is, that means he got away with it. For this man to prey on people, especially the weak and elderly, is just sickening. Let’s hope the police catch him soon.

See you tonight,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 19, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  17. Barbara

OK, I admit I am easily fooled and on occassion have really thought
    what an idiot I was for believing some hair-brained story but even I
    this time was not fooled by this story. Bigfoot just don't exist.

August 19, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  18. Presley

Aw, no Sasquatch.
    BOOOOOOO *thumbs down* to the shenanigans.
    I'll fess up, I kinda wanted it to be a little real, meh. I'm glad NOTHING was maimed or slaughtered for this rouse.

I'm having a hard enough watching Obama and McCain as it is, anything to humanize them I will take with some fries on the side.

and p.s. Happy B Day Bill Clinton.

See you tonight. ♥

August 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  19. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Hi Erica
    I am not suprised that big foot was a hoax it's all for pulicity and fame.Thier 15 minutes is over now. I can't believe someone would hurt a poor eledlry lady like that it's so sad and cruel . i also agree it's not funny it's sad !

look forward to the show tonight erica
    thanks for your post
    Michelle

August 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  20. Jim- Kearny, NJ

hi Erica!

I never doubted for a second that the latest bigfoot claim was a hoax. I didn't even pay attention to it after the initial claim was published. I only payed attention to the article I read that exposed the hoax. Ah, the things people will do for 15 minutes of fame.

The guy who jumped the 85 year old woman will be lucky if the cops get to him first. Chances are that if someone else get to him, street justice will prevail and few deserve it more.

Have a great night,

Jim

August 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Erica,
    I agree with your comment. I think so, what were they thinking that bigfoot is most hoax! I am really disappointed with them...... I don't is not funny at all. I agree with bloggers...... I felt that he will get trouble too. Also, thanks for the note news, it is my favorite to write a note news or to read a note. See you later! I will see you on 360 and blog live.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  22. Stacy

Erica, thank you for the link to the campaign video. I often find behind-the-scenes tidbits to be very interesting and insightful. In fact, most of the time I'd rather have that than listen to a panel of pundit speculation. Also, I don't know if you have any contact with the producer on Obama's bus, but making a "Where the Hell is Matt?" style video from the campaign trail is a hilarious idea. Will they be dancing? I smell a future "shot."

August 19, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  23. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Anything for ten seconds of fame, I guess, on the big foot story. Sad what people will do to feel important.

It's also sad to see people taking advantage of the elderly. That's just lower than low. To intentionally harm an elderly person is beyond pitiful. Those people are in the same category as child molesters, child and partner abusers, and animal abusers as far as I'm concerned, a waste of perfectly good DNA.

Finally, political stumping simply proves politicians will do anything to get elected. I really do feel sorry for the reporters stuck covering them.

August 19, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  24. Fay, CA

I can't say I'm surprised that the bigfoot story turned out to be a big hoax–I don't even know why so many reporters even bothered to show up at the press conference–one look at that photo should've convinced them that they were being had.

It is sickening to watch that poor elderly woman being attacked and I hope that the criminal who committed this terrible act will be found quickly and punished severely.

August 19, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  25. Jon - Melbourne, FL

It is sad, Erica! BTW I love your news notes! Can't wait for the show tonight!!

August 19, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  26. JC- Los Angeles

Erica, after hearing Obama and McCain stump for President, it's become quite clear from their responses that our furry friend may reside in both Arizona and Illinois: open mouth, insert Big Foot.

August 19, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  27. Heather,Ca,US

Erica,

I saw a hoax with Mr Bigfoot right away.It was costume!We all saw this coming.Plus I loved how all they had was a photos to show the press and said the real one was at a undisclosed location.Yeah rrright.What a bunch of lame people.

Every time I see tape of some poor old person getting mugged reminds me that camera's are not enough.There has to be someone there to act as security.She didn't stand a chance against this jerk and the camera's didnt stop the guy from hurting her.

August 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |