August 15th, 2008

Morning Buzz: A Crucial Choice!!!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/15/art.vp.jpg]
Morning folks...

The candidates for President have been chosen...now comes the toughest part. Senators Barack Obama and John McCain must pick a running mate.....and the stakes could NOT be higher. Obama says "The vice presidency is the most important decision that I'll make before I'm President." McCain says "you have to share the principles the values the goals...but also the priorities." Priorities that didn’t matter as much before. Jonathan Martin, Senior Political Reporter from Politico, says "for years, the joke was VP wasn't worth a bucket of warm spit." Now, it’s a whole new ballgame...

In the past, naming a vice presidential candidate did not seem as crucial as it does now. So what's changed? Well, the race is tight and voters have valid concerns about each candidate. For Obama, it's all about his resume.

The 47-year-old Junior Senator from Illinois has had little experience on Capitol Hill compared to McCain....something he has acknowledged. McCain has the experience, but faces other challenges. The big question....age. If elected, McCain would – at 72 – be the oldest person to ever become president. SO whoever he picks could in fact become the next President of the United States...

Tonight, Anderson lays out the stakes...Candy Crowley looks at Barack Obama's short list...Ed Henry at John McCain's short list...Tom Foreman looks at the "dream ticket" a.k.a "the case for Hillary Clinton." Joe Johns takes us back in history to look at some of the best and worst Vice Presidential picks and Gary Tuchman takes us through the "secret search" how the VP candidates are vetted and picked.... We also discuss the pros and cons of each VP candidate with James Carville, Bill Bennett, Mark Halperin and of course, Candy Crowley..

So tune in tonight at 10 pm eastern to see CRUCIAL CHOICE: THE NEXT PRESIDENT

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Heidi B

Anderson and Erica i sure do like how you lighten up with the beat 360 and the shot of the day at the end of your show it nice to end the show on something uplifting

August 15, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  2. lampe

Rosie;I am so sorry to have to tell you that Obama, is not going to be POTUS, with or without Sen. Clinton on the ticket. The Democrats, have made the biggest mistakes of their lives. In a year, where everything is in their favor, they managed to divide this party in two. you say that God, knows what's in peoples hearts, well that goes for The big-shots,of the party, who took it upon htemselves to go behind loyal democrats, for someone who has no experience, and people who have been old enough to vote for years and years, but did not, but this year they appear to all of a sudden, get the urge to vote,for a country they never loved before now.

August 15, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  3. Rosie

To Jose Gomez,
    Hilary on Obama's ticket, as VP, is a sure loss for the Democrats, and should Hilary seek, at the convention, to overthrow Obama's position as the Nominee, and succeed, get ready for some years of Bush administration, and worse.
    I say "some years", because God will permit this Country to suffer for a while, because it rejected his choice. And remember, we can give one another any reason we want, as to why we do not want Obama in the White House, but God know our true motive, and will judge us according to what he knows to be truth, and not what we say is truth.

Beware that we do not close the door, of blessings, upon this Country, because we don;t like the color of the container.
    We say this prayer to God, each and everyday "God, Bless America" which goes up to the heart of God. This time the answer to this prayer is "Barack Obama". God has sent him, as his answer, for this time in out history.
    So if we are not willing to accept the container, in which God has put his answer to this prayer, because it does not pass our qualification requirements, then we should stop wasting time, by continually sending this prayer up to the throne of God. Because he is going to call whomsoever he desire, because this is his earth, and we all are his people [Ps 24:1].. God has no respect of person [Ro 2:11]

August 15, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  4. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

Vp slots shouldn't make any difference. This whole importance of the VP is manufactured and the public shouldn't care. The reality is that McCain shouldn't have a chance in h-l. But he does because he is counting on the American public to not elect a black man into the White House. Obama is the rising star and McCain is the withered tree. I still think Obama will pick Hillary as VP. He has been running around looking for his cabinet people. If he picks Hillary.........he wins. Plain and simple................

August 15, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  5. sara.ro

For sure the ac360 team deserves a long weekend after a wild week with such many news,proofs and candidates.Thank you for your proffi,insight visions , philosophy, diggin deeper and keeping us informed. Great Shows last week!:)

August 15, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  6. Susan, Florida

Obama, President and General Wesley Clark, Vice President

MacCain Not President so does not matter who he selects for a VP

August 15, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  7. Sarah

So, no live 360 again tonight. Bummer, last night's show was great. Y'all need to follow that program's lineup a lot more.

August 15, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar

Good Afternoon staff 360!!!!
    I am glad that Georgia President already signed cease-fire with Russia..... I am really so relieved that he would to talk with Condoleezza Rice to need peace and no more war....... it made me sad that people died...... I hope that Russia troops must withdrawal or get out right now of Georgia.... I saw Georgia president feel so emotion so hard. I agree with Georgia president what he said.
    Hope you and Anderson have a great weekend!!!! I hope that Anderson need rest all weekend...... Have a great night!!!!
    See you next week!!!!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 15, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  9. Mark

I dont think the VP candidate for McCain will swing any votes his way...he doesnt need a VP to help him wiht experience, he doesnt need a VP to help solidify his weaknesses. However, Obama must be very cautious because he must have someone who will make the voters think the VP experience will somehow help him in the White House...that somehow the VP will help him with his weaknesses without going with someone who is completely against his campaign...the center point of Obama's campaign is change...getting away from the life time Goverment figures...so he is in a jam...he must pick someone who is going to be against his campaign as a whole..someone with long standing ties and experience...how does he move forward with a ticket that is clearly 50% not what he is trying to stand for...if he goes with someone who will be a poster child for his campaign slogan...he doesnt pull the extra votes he will need to win...if he goes with someone on the opposite...he loses voters that are on the fence....

August 15, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  10. Mike in NYC

Ryan wrote:

"I’m a little sorry Condoleezza Rice won’t be his VP…"

She's been an awful Sec’y of State. Tokenism would be the only reason for her place on any ticket.

August 15, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  11. Presley

One of them totally needs to pick Sasquatch, they would win by a landslide.

August 15, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  12. Wendy Ontario, Canada

I'm sure Obama will be bashed (as he usually is ) no matter who he chooses for V.P. Lou Dobbs & Glen Beck from the CNN team spend a great deal of time complaining about everything Obama does these days. It would be refreshing to see some unbiased coverage which does something other then tear him down. Sad that they find fault with him for going overseas & being "too presidential" but now claim he should be doing more to solve the crisis in Georgia. He apparently should not have spent his vacation time in Hawai (a U.S state) with his Grandmother either, as that is proof that he does not share American values. He's too thin, not American enough, not tough enough, not experienced enough blah, blah, blah. Those in the media that sit in judgement seriously need to take a long look in the mirror & ask what they have done for their country. I truly wonder why anyone would want to run for President as it is a poor excuse for everyone to bash you at every turn. Sad. Thank CNN for Jack Cafferty, the only commentator that has any common sense on the political issues. CNN should give him his own show & dump those other two whiners.

August 15, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  13. karen-phoenix

Anderson: Love your show. You seem to be fair and digging for the truth. I have been a republican all my life. Was a republican election judge for over 14 years. After what has happened to our country–we are finnancially and emotionally bankrupt–I'm voting a straight democratic ticket. My grandkids are in college and they are scared to death of McCain getting us into WW3 and reinstating the draft. So am I. I lived through VN, my brother was a helicopter pilot in VN for two years and he brought his ships back in one piece. I white, female, 64 and can not even bring myself to look at McCain! His life story is that of an egotistical narcisstic womanizing man who would do anything for power, beautiful women and money! His personal life is a mess, He barely made it out of school and he could never keep a job!! AND he should have gone to jail along with Charlies Keating!!! Enough said–Obama has morals and cares about average people. He may not beable to do everything but just might get us back on the right track and rebuild the backbone of our country–the great American middle class! Thanks for some great shows!

August 15, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  14. Jose Gomez

You're the best Anderson.
    What I think is that Senator McCain will have to choose Romney to be his running mate because he brings things to the table that McCain doesn’t have such as youth,charisma,knowledge about the economy and maybe even Michigan…who knows?
    Now about Senator Obama. I believe that Hillary will be his running mate.
    He doesn’t necessarily need her to win but she would secure his win. Since many democrats haven’t yet gotten on the Obama bandwagon,she could be the ultimate push in bringing the party together. She also makes the most sense,she got the popular vote in the primary. She is also the “natural fit” for the ticket.She can bring in more blue-collar workers towards Obama and solidify his base on healthcare. She is also the most well known and she could provide a landslide win for Obama.

Jose
    Allentown,PA

August 15, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  15. Marguerite

I agree with Michelle-Fridays don't seem to have the live show much anymore, and I certainly miss that! However, I wish all of you a good weekend.

August 15, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  16. daniel yellon M.D.

Why would a Democrat who has been thru one election where our candidate was robbed of the Presidency, followed by 8 years of utter incompetence by a partisan Republican Administration, and a campaign 4 years ago that used lies and innuendo to defeat a real war hero want to elect a Republican again, especially one that voted with President Bush 95% of the time? A Republican that wants to privatize Social Security and thinks it is a disgrace that we pay in to help the elderly and collects his monthly checks anyway while being worth millions of dollars himself. A Republilcan that will move the Supreme Court so far right that they might even overturn the right of a woman to choose? Look in the mirror Ryan and say after me" I am really a Republican who likes to call myself a Democrat" and end the chirade!!! Mr. Field you are dilusional.

August 15, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  17. Ryan Field

As a Democrat voting for John McCain, I'm very interested in who he chooses. It won't sway my decision to support him or vote for him though. I'm a little sorry Condoleezza Rice won't be his VP (at least it doesn't look like she will be), but I'll be a happy Democrat no matter who he chooses.

August 15, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  18. Annie Kate

Sounds like a good special. I'm particularly interested in seeing the part on the best and worst VP choices – we've had VPs who couldn't spell, VP's who broke the law, and VP's who did a wonderful job and should have been President (Gore).

I'm actually not as worried about McCain's age as Obama's inexperience – the last few weeks and months have seen the Afghanistan fighting escalate, the Iraq leader want a timetable for us to leave, Pakistan wanting to kick their president out (is the devil you know better than the one you don't?) , and now Georgia and Russia with hints of a frigid wind stirring up. When you add on the economy, the lack of health care for everyone, the mortgage crisis, gas prices and increasing food prices, and climate change to just name a few its going to take both the President and the VP and Congress to get us back on track.

I know that Obama's mantra is a "Time for Change". Some of your footage last night showed the 1960 convention that JFK was nominated at – his signs said "A Time for Greatness". I think we are going to need both in the years to come.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 15, 2008 at 9:42 am |
  19. Nicholas Aggor

I agree with Oprah that "we have a purpose and the more knowledge we can gain about that which is greater than ourselves, the closer we come to fulfilling that purpose." My purpose in this world is to provide a national math program to all student with variable needs, giving each student in the USA the same playing field by designing, rewriting and publishing math textbooks that both students and parent can understand. The United States is the 25th in math in the world, which becomes a serious national defense issue. My two sons were bring home bad grades in math and they were in the Resourse Room in grade 5. I detected that their textbooks are not written step-by-step for them to understand. I quite my job as a senior engineer for Ford to rewrite thier math textbooks. While they were using my books, they progressed to the advance math class in grade 8 and scored the highest level in the state test. Joshua, who was in grade 8, scored higher on the SAT than the senior high students. The success stories were published in the Detroit News and the Washington Times. I would like to be on your show before schools start (August 28). This will help schools and parents to purchase the books for innocent students. I have the solution to the national math problem in the USA.

August 15, 2008 at 9:31 am |
  20. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Hi Good Morning Anderson and 360 staff
    I guess this will not be a live show tonight why does this allways happens on Fridays.I rememeber when your program was 2hours everynight and live each day of the weelk,now it's cut one hour and 4 days.What gives? It cheats us of live breaking news it's not like there is no news on Firday is there ?

Well AC and staff have a great weekend
    see you later bye:Michelle

August 15, 2008 at 8:50 am |
  21. deborah, OH

Morning Anderson!
    Well, any person who I thought was really worth anything has been eliminated. So much for my ideas! Can't wait to see the show & see Candy, Tom, Gary, Joe, & all, take a stab at this. Hopefully, they will 'clear' the issues for me!

I missed the webcast last night, & it was so awesome the 1st night! Is there any place I can see it again? If not, any plans to make it available for viewing again? Just a thought--thanks.

Have a good TGIF Anderson & all.

August 15, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  22. Martina Ilstad

Hey Anderson
    Have a nice day,will you be on tv tonight?Maybe see your show tonight.
    All th best for you,have a great weekend.Enyoy the silence.I will do it,too.
    Hardworkers needs silence.

August 15, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  23. Cindy

So 360 is off tonight then huh!? At least y'all aren't showing another rerun. But I hope that this piece isn't as biased as the last thing you all did on Obama and McCain.

I do have to agree that this time around the VP slot means a whole lot more than it has in the past. Who ever each candidate chooses to run with could either make it or break it for them. Let's hope they both choose the right one so that we can get down to what really matters...the issues!

Cindy...Ga.

August 15, 2008 at 8:27 am |
  24. Mary

Before I comment this morning I would like to say how great last night's show was. The footage of the Turkish journalist was so intense. If the show ended then it would have been hard to sleep. Thanks for the update on the Yeti.
    I certainly agree with this being an important VP pick. I consider myself and independent but as I age I am becoming more conservative. It will really matter to me who each candidates pick. I also think that there is more to Senator Hillary Clinton and the roll call. It could really backfire. I am looking forward to tonight's show and your panel discussion. Have a great day!

August 15, 2008 at 8:16 am |