August 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/15/08

Tonight, we have a special hour looking at one of the toughest decisions the candidates will make.  Who will share the ticket with Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama?  We'll look at the top three candidates for VP on both sides.

We want to know what you think so we’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sarah ( Florida)

First time blogger...I think Mitt Romney for McCain and Hillary for The Dems. I am voting McCain regardless of who he picks.

August 15, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Victoria

McCain picking a female candiate would be no coup. It would clearly be seen as a political ploy to attempt to pick up some of the angry hillary supporters.

August 15, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  3. sara.ro

Choosing Hillary , Obama would resolve the missing parts of the Dems political puzzle, especially when McCain's team are well focused on it.
    On the other hand , Republicans in them VP list , should keep the same visual proportions, to vibrate in the public conscience, a similitude also,like YngYang ,etc

August 15, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. sarah B....Durham,NC

if the Republicans wanted a more liberal person...than McCain would not be the one one the ballots in Nov....Ridge would not be a good choice in my opinion...coming from myself and i used to live in PA.....and also "Used" be a registered Repub for over 10 yrs!...VP is a crucial choice i think

August 15, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

What a coup it would be if McCain picked a woman and Obama didn't pick Hillary. It would blast this wide open.

August 15, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Dawn

Hi everyone- Sorry I'm obsessed with the Olympics.
    Again, I will say- if Obama wants to turn the page- don't go Clinton.

August 15, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Jason in Orlando......
    I agree with you, That is bad news for people. that she lied to police over and over,......... I hope that Caylee will be found safe or not...... I am sure that if what happens too......

August 15, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Gerry

McCain should keep his mouth shut about Georgia. The fact his top foreign secruity advisor is a paid lobbyist for Georgia is a huge conflict of interest and regardless of what McCain says, it has to be questionable as a result.

August 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Wesley Clark has some baggage of his own. His retirement in 2000 was not voluntary. He was forced out by the Pentagon for character issues, and the inability to follow orders. Bill Clinton was president then.

August 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. sarah B....Durham,NC

Obama with the help of the Clintons would def. bring about Change...togther!....Clarke....hmmm....nope...i would not be too thrilled.....it would def. influence me....thank goodness i live in NC and am unaffiliated and can vote either in Nov...

August 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

The Orange County Sheriff's Dept. today said they think Casey Anthony was in the woods by the airport when she made all those franctic phone calls to her parents.

I live in Orlando, and the wooded areas around the airport are all undeveloped land. Unless she was camping, I can't figure out what she was doing there.

August 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Shannon

I must say that I found it very presumptious of John McCain to send his own delegation to Georgia. He is not POTUS, they should leave this to President Bush and Secretary Rice.

August 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Daniel-M

This should be a no-brainer for the democrats; Clinton

August 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Linda D...New Orleans Metro

A Leader....is not intimidate to a person who is as smart as them, and a person SMARTER. That is a Strong Leader, you are only as good as the people, in your administration.

August 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Elle Palmer

No, there is no vice president for Obama that will give him a bounce other than Hilary Clinton. Obama doesn't want to make it worse for himself by picking the wrong guy and although none of those on his short list seem to be the wrong guy, will those 18 million Hilary supporters vote for McCain if he doesn't pick her?

I think the GOP thinks so. Personally, I am weary of so many GOP supporters/contributors/strategists claiming Hilary to be a bad choice. Do they feel that if Obama picks Hilary, McCain will lose the race? Hmmmm.

August 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar

Mary,
    Yes, it will be Clinton and Obama on the ticket really unity team.

August 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. sarah B....Durham,NC

i bringing the Clintons back would make a lot of ppl feel safe...a lot of ppl were happier with how the nation was when Clinton was in office....tons of ppl with Bush in the last 2 elections have talked about how much Better off the nation was when the Clintons were in office...plus...they know their way around...lol

August 15, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Julie from LA

Hillary's finances can't be vetted (joint account with $800,000 paid by Colombian gov't to Bill as their lobbyist, for starters). Anderson, Crowley, et al. should give it a rest on the Clintons.

But I agree completely with everyone about Clark. He'd be a FANTASTIC choice–just the kind of great team player (who can also be a leader) and brilliant, experienced, wise counselor that Obama needs.

Obama/ Clark '08 would be great!

August 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Mike>Welsey Clarke has been around "in the game" long enough to not get bulldozed.

August 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Maggie

Can someone ask Mark Halperin – why would ANY Hillary supporter be happy with ANY other pick other than Hillary?

Hellllooooooo – I will ONLY be happy with Hillary....why would Evan Bayh or Joe Biden make me Happy?

August 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Wayne

Obama will need someone as strong as Hillary. Someone who has more foreign affairs experience, can appeal to the White and Hispanic populations as well as blue collar workers but able to maintain the course in terms of the change message and the ability to serve as president if anything should happen. Hillary is a close fit and she would help to heal the divisions in the party.

August 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

Yikes Obama/Clarke would completely invalidate McCain's argument that he has better foreign policy and military strategy and experience.

If that's the case, then McCain should pick Hilliary Clinton to get her supporters, lol.

August 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. MariaElena Raymond

Hi all,

If McCain chooses pro-life VP most voters will see it for the truth about him...he will flip every way possible for votes, just as for oil $

August 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  24. sarah B....Durham,NC

Hilary would be a Smart choice....the offsets i do not believe would hurt him as much as i believe would Help him!!....experience....bring in Voters....balance...would show ppl that he wants what is Best for us as a country....all around....she could step in....she could bring in Pull...Pull...Pulllll

August 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  25. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I haven't heard a whole lot about how to attract independent voters with a VP pick, which could be the swing in this election.

August 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Mary

Would Senator Clinton on the ticket really bring unity?

August 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

You need at least one person who on the ticket who is strong in foreign policy, especially now. Obama doesn't have it. Wesley Clark has the military experience, but no real diplomatic credentials. If both on the ticket are new to Washington, Congress, even a Democratic Congress, will eat them alive.

August 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Gerry

I think if Obama picked Hagel, the election would be over

August 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Brandon

hmm.. Ya I could see and Obama/Clarke ticket I think Clarke is a good offset for Obama.

August 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. MariaElena Raymond

Not thrilled at any Obama rumored choices, but will vote for him no matter what.

August 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

I am thinking John McCain will be named (VP) Mitt Romney.......

August 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Maggie

Hello Anderson and All,

Just tuned in.

I think he would be very smart to pick Hillary – she brings MILLIONS of votes, which no other VP will do.

If she is not obama's VP, then I will vote for McCain in November.

August 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Wesley Clarke strikes the right chord with me. Mature, experienced, but NOT an insider. I see insiders as part of the problem, not part of the solution.

August 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Ken in NC

James Carville thinks Senator McCain will surprise us. He is in the position to surprise himself. I think Obama has to find someone a bit more conservative to off set his libral position.

August 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Jeanine

I agree with Casey. It would be nice to have someone who isn't tainted by "Old" politics.

August 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar

Ok Bloggers,
    Who do want pick Vice President short list?????

August 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Wendy Ontario, Canada

I like Wes Clarke for Obama, he has more & better experience then McCain in regards to foreign affairs.

August 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  38. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I don't like anyone who represents "old" politics, like Biden. It's time to move forward.

August 15, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anyone Obama picks will need lots of experience to offset Obama's thin resume. It will undoubtedly make some wonder why the ticket weren't reversed.

August 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  40. sarah B....Durham,NC

Obama should consider a VP that is a little more conservative...that would bring in votes that could sway....one that could balance him out so to say....with more foreign affairs experience.....and of course David Gergen is usually spot on.....one that could step into the role....one that do spectacular during the VP debate....and unite the Dem. party!

August 15, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Elle Palmer

I agree with David Gergen. Obama needs someone that is going to do well at the vice presidential debates and someone that is not flying under the radar. He needs someone that is going to make up in the areas where he lacks (foriegn policy, experience).

August 15, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Mary

It is gong to be a difficult chase to make. I think that it would be a bad move for Senator McCain to choose some one pro-choice. Is that a correct assumption? Or does it make him more palatable to independents?

August 15, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

I think Obama could pull in some independents and republicans if he chooses a Southern VP candidate. I know I would.

August 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Shannon

There is no way he will pick Hillary, he does not need her to win. He won the primaries running on a completely different message and this would flaw him as a candidate.

Obama does not need to have the Republican attack machine and the American Public doubt him in his role as POTUS. He can stand on his own and win this without her help.

August 15, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  45. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

So, Candy thinks Obama's running mate could be a "snore" and that wouldn't hurt?

August 15, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  46. jen rose

Whoever they choose as Vice President may not help them win the election. But picking the wrong choice they may lost the election...so they better choose wisely.

August 15, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Shannon

My first choice for running mate is Tim Kaine! Obama does not need longevity he needs to double down on his change message.

August 15, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm not a Dem. but I don't see that anyone would give as big a boost to them as Hillary. It's really the only way to unit the party.

August 15, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  49. Shannon

I think Obama is going to name is running mate on Sunday.

August 15, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo best bloggers!!!!
    Happy Friday night!!!!
    My choice will be Vice President Hillary Clinton or Bayh......

August 15, 2008 at 10:00 pm |