August 13th, 2008

The truth about Caylee

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/07/art.cayleeanthony.jpg]
Gabriel Falcon
AC360° writer

It’s the unspoken and the whispered, the off-the-record comments some investigators are telling reporters. It’s the gut feeling strangers and the concerned following the story from around the country feel in the pit of their stomachs. But it’s no so much what many think might have happened to the little girl. It’s the fear.

Her grandparents believe Caylee is most likely the victim of a kidnapping, possibly abducted over money Caylee’s mother, Casey, could have owed to someone. Earlier this week, AC360's Randi Kaye said the family expected good news to come, perhaps as early as this week. We hope they are right. And people are praying they are right.

But here’s the troubling part. When a child goes missing, and days give way to weeks, then months, without a clue or solid credible lead, the fear grows deeper that the child is in harm’s way, and may never return home again. The constantly changing stories from her mother Casey only add to the apprehension, and suspicion of a crime.

According to the lead detectives, Casey said she could help find her daughter, but only if they released her from jail. She is refusing to cooperate with authorities. A parent’s complete unwillingness to offer information she may have about her child’s whereabouts is baffling, and for many, beyond understanding. For the police, it’s a sign she may be keeping a very dark secret.

The truth about Caylee is that we may never know the truth. Why did she vanish? Why did her mother lie? And where is Caylee now?

In the end, they are questions that demand to be answered. Will they?

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Catherine Post

I believe this child is dead, that the mother knows how/why, and that the grandparents intuit all of this but cannot face up to the guilt of their daughter and the death of their granddaughter.

The aspect that confounds me at this point, is why on earth the mother, Casey, is allowed to just sit in jail and is 1) not charged financially for all of the wasted effort on the part of the police for the wild goose chase she has sent them on, with her lies; and 2) why Casey has not been charged with murder. That would get her talking, I am sure.

Casey Anthony has no right to do this to anyone. She should be brought to account for her actions, her lies, and her refusal to cooperate in everyone's best interests.

August 14, 2008 at 1:26 am |
  2. saranoh

Thank you to Susan, GA for calling the police with the tip from Ronald Morgan. My guess is that Mr. Morgan is probably mistaken and actually met another little girl OR he is a crackpot. In any case, thank you to Susan, GA for making the effort all other readers should have made (including me)!!!!

Highly unlikely lead in a case that looks like it will end extremely sadly for all of us!

It is SO important to get involved–even if we look like fools when we do! Imagine if Ronald Morgan was correct and just not smart enough to pick up the phone!!!!!

August 14, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  3. Debbie~Mishawaka,In.

So Sad,we should all be Praying for Caylee..We Need to Pray for Grace for her grama & grampa..

August 13, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  4. melany st louis

good job susan,ga.
    i was at work when i read ronald morgan's commnet and couldn't call.God bless you for doing that.
    i hope he is telling the truth. he could help shed light on this.
    i hope he is not lying.that will be very sick to do that.

August 13, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  5. Pete

Also to Terasa – please do not turn this into a racial issue. It most certainly is not. Scott Peterson did not get away with murder. This 'mother' is playing the same game – lack of physical evidence.
    Remember OJ???

August 13, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  6. Catherine

This whole story is beyond sad but it does shine a light on parents who aren't ready to parent. I really do no see this story having a happy ending but I do think Casey should be sterilized.

August 13, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Laurie in Spokane Washington

It's people like William Courtland, Earth who ruin Blogs like this where people are truly concerned about an issue.
    It is obvious he is a nut so I think we should just ignore any and all of his comments.

August 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  8. Pete

Kayla in SF – please get a brain. You are the only person on this blog that has anything positive to say about this horrendous excuse for a mother.
    I do not have to shove a hot metal poker into my eye to know that it will hurt.

August 13, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  9. leslie

I am simply amazed at this case. Every night I wait and watch all the programs and still NOTHING.. When my daughter was 2 and she had a babysitter, that was who she talked about. How can the grandparents even remotely appear interested in Caylee now, if they never even knew anything about the babysitter (before the disappearance). I feel so frustrated by this case. And George has gone off the deep end.. Did you see how he was just babbeling about kidnappers, and being watched and watching them.. It was bizarre. My prayers are with Caylee tonight..

August 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

What is wrong with Caylee's grandparents. Of course you lov e your daughter, but you also have a conscience and find out what happened to your granddaughter. It is obviously that Casey did something to or with that little girl.

August 13, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Teresa Chas, SC

I remember the first time I heard Susan Smith tell the public of the abduction of her children and I thought that any mother in her right mind would have died trying to keep her children safe before letting them go with a stranger and this is something that she did not do. I knew that Smith had done something horrible-and the same feelings are coming up with this case which I have watched consistently.

The mother is not mentally right. She is a liar and seems to be quite sociopathic and narcissistic in her behavior. It is sad for the child of such a parent...and I don't think that the parents of the mother are unaware of the mental defect of their daughter. The family dynamic is not healthy. I think that the grandmother and grandfather are in denial as to the death of their granddaughter. I think the child will be found eventually but that she will be brought back in a body bag–it will interesting to see what the mother has to say when that happens.

August 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  12. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

The mother is nuts...............she knows what happened to her daughter and doesn't care too much. No.......she will not be let out so she can run. Lock her away..............get the evidence, convict her, and keep her locked away................

August 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  13. Susan, GA

I did not read any of this or see the Ronald F. Morgan comment until almost 10:00 PM. Although I tend to think he is lying, because if what she said is true, he would call the police himself, I did call the Orange County Sheriff's Dept who gave me the hotline for tips on Caylee. I then called and reported his comment. I gave them the link to it and read it verbatim. They typed it all in carefully and turned it over to investigators. Again, although seems to much to true, I couldn't take a chance of not reporting it. Now, if it is, maybe this will help. And if it isn't he will get in trouble for posting sick garbage.

August 13, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  14. James

Ok.....just think of this.....how much, honestly, can a girl of Casey's status owe somebody in all reality?...maybe $5,000 – $10,000 tops, worst case scenario. So now put yourself in the "people who kidnapped her" shoes. Do you think that even after this case has broke open to the entire world, someone that knows everyone from Sherriff departments to the FBI would be out looking for them would keep the Calley still believing that they're gonna get their money and that they'll just hand over the kid....all to get back what...maybe a couple of grand? You've gotta be out to lunch to believe this. Nobody in their right mind would keep this "kidnapped" kid and risk the jail time that they're facing having one of the most sought after children in the country in their possession. If there was a kidnapper that had her, at this point, with the world coming looking for Calley, the kidnapper would have dumped her off somewhere so that he/she isn't tied in with the crime or killed her to get rid of the "evidence". Plus, she's a human so the people would have to take care of her and pay for the food and supplies to take care of her and feed her....and....not one person who knows these "kidnappers" hasn't come forward and inform the police that think that their either friend or family member might be the kidnappers or that they saw something that just isn't sitting right with them and call the cops to investigate.....yet not one of these types of calls have been called in? With this kidnapper story, people have to start thinking in the "shoes" of the "kidnapper" and then you will see how more and more this does not make any sense at all. Casey never knew what to tell her Mom so she's just made up story after story as she goes along...and it seems like she's sold her parents on the kidnap story. I worry for the child but I'm not worried that Casey will slip by the minds of the FBI, they'll crack her.

August 13, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  15. William Courtland, Earth

So where is the father? Stolen sperm!? Sperm Bank? Not for profit occult donation?

1:6.5 billion? cellphoned citizens census, and your number corisponds with the civic(school, union, government, franchise, personal, recreational) that generates the phones responsibility.

To catch a criminal non-assualt technology is the only weapon allowed which are not considered as tools of investigation?

August 13, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Agalag

I'm sorry, but this woman was living at home with her parents, brother and child and no one noticed any erratic behavior? Somebody knows where that child is; I'm sure Casey wouldn't break a nail trying to dispose of her. This woman is trash and was raised by trash, and hung around with trash. Caylee never had a chance...

August 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. melany from ST LOUIS

wht in the world is this mr courtland talking about?
    Anybody?

August 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. William Courtland, Earth

Death due to mortuary duties...

Your weather, your interstates...

August 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Laurie

I have been following this case everyday. I hate to say this but I believe little Caylee is probably dead. Not only should the mom, Casey be ashamed of herself but the grandmother Cindy and grandfather, George should also be ashamed of themselves. I feel they spend more time defending Casey above looking for Caylee. I have heard Cindi made statements like everyone should be looking for Caylee. Bottom line, that is what everyone is trying to do but Casey is not providing any information to assist so where is everyone supposed to look. I know if it were my grandchild missing and my daughter were acting like Casey, I would have to let her get what is coming to her and stop making excuses.
    If Caylee were to be found alive, I would not let any of the family have the child. The family is handling Casey with kid gloves. That is the tragady of this whole thing.

August 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  20. William Courtland, Earth

So what ever is not in your Constitution that exists as a near department it requires a treaty. Schools are that way and should be united globally by a treaty binding national boundaries to easy student body checks, but these should not allow raptures as investigation tools.

Nations which do not participate will require religious spys to find the lost or stolen, death and school protection agencies...

Your NASA, your...

August 13, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Jo Anne Cummings

I hope that Ronald can help this case, and this is not just another person trying to gain attention for themselves, that would be very cruel.

August 13, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. dorothy

It's my opinion that Cindy and her husband are working hard on trying to put the blame on some kidnappers because they know Caylee is dead and it appears they want to make people believe that their daughter didn't have anything to do with it.

It's my opinion that they are covering for her and setting all of this up kidnapping stuff. Who tried to destroy some of the evidence in Casey's car? They didn't think about DNA on the shoes.

THERE WAS NO KIDNAPPING!

August 13, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Kathy Pettijohn

I agree with Heather, this so called Mother is a waste!..She is getting all the attention that she so needed at the expense of her own child. I say cut the media attention on Casey, make no deals with her, let her rot in jail with no cameras..God forbid, but I too feel it is to late for that sweet Baby, but lets get down to the good ole fashion police work and ignore the family as I don't think they would no the truth if it hit them in the face. I feel sorry for the Grandparents but I too feel that the Mother knows more than she is letting on and the Father is caught in the web of lies by this time. The dogs could smell the decomposition, let the Crime lab take all of the evidence and build a case against her and lets see how she acts then..Something should make this women break. I realize she is mentally ill but so are allot of people and they don't brutalize their children and family..all we can do is keep the prayers flowing for that little Sweetie Pie and prayer she is at peace, one way or another...

August 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Jeremy Bell

Okay, here is the deal if this were on the first 48, casey wouldnt stand a chance, here is the deal, I have followed this story from the jump, it's not that difficult to see what happend, I doubt that casey killed little caylee, what more than likely happend is casey was not paying any attention to her and she more than likely drowned, when casey gave her parents tons of calls nobody answerd she freaked worried she would be going to jail and put caylee in the car, or buried her right away to later move her somewhere else, hense why the car smelled so fowl, on top of that if her mom called in saying there is a smell like a body in the car, then change it to pizza in a trash bag, how and why did she have to wash the gray slacks also in the car that had the same "FOUL SMELL" this is clear, I belive the family or atleast the grandmother may kow some truth, caylee isn't coming back, and all these twisted lies are only to get cops running around like achicken with their head cut off and not focusing on where she is more than likely right under their noses, it's botherd me so much I want to come down and head up an investigation myself. I can understand why the police are no longer releasing any info or updates becasue casey is watching. She is getting the news avoiding police because she knew everything she told them to send them on the goose chase came up a lie. I hope and pray that she comes to her senses, that was a beautiful baby girl and she deserves so much better than jus tbeing in the ground somewhere, I'm not saying it's murder but there is definitly an accident that has occurd. and casey along with her family is covering it up. I hope cnn and the police get this and know that the real crime is not kidnapping.

August 13, 2008 at 9:37 pm |
  25. Paige Turner

Well, if Casey sold her for money or for sex trade then maybe the people who have her should somehow turn her in for the reward money of $225,000. I am sure Casey doesn't owe anyone that much. She should have went to her parents when she was being threatened about the money or the child and got the money to them then.

August 13, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  26. Shirley-Ohio

Bring in the FBI and someone will start talking.

CALL IN THE FBI BECAUSE SOMEONE IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB.

August 13, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  27. Christa

We all know that this poor innocent child is dead. The mom is clearly guilty. The problem is that it may take a very long time to find her remains. All they need is the physical evidence which they will get when they get those results back. They already have motive, she wanted to party and live it up and be with her boyfriend and she made it happen. The prosecution will have no problem convicting her. Her parents are enablers and I cannot believe that they are on her side when they know deep down inside that she did it.

Tell me why the grandmother was not charged with obstruction of justice by washing those pants found in the back seat that smelled like a corpse??

August 13, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  28. Annie Kate

After two months hope seems pretty forlorn – the longer the disappearance the less chance of finding the child. I hope Caylee is ok and will be found but I know that I'm hoping against hope.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 13, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  29. Sharon

If there was someone holding Caylee don't you think you as a mother would want to get your child back as soon as possible. I would have at least told my mother so maybe she could give me the money I owe to get my child back. So that story just doesn't cut it. If someone like a babysitter had her where did she get the money. Why was she partying like nothing was wrong? It just doesn't cut it with me.

August 13, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  30. Sharon

No one is going to contact her because no one has her. I think the mother knows and thinks as long as she doesn't say anything no one will find her and she will get out. The grandmother wants to believe her daughter because she doesnt want to believe anything else.

August 13, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  31. kathi in ky.

if ever there were a case for waterboarding... this is it.

August 13, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  32. Ruby Harris Claremont CA

I have been following this story for weeks now. I hope that they find Caylee soon. I read where a man named Ronald F. Morgan saw caylee with another woman. why dont you report her to the authority.
    I pray that she is safe.

August 13, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  33. tonya

I always thought that the police was pretty tough on people like this? Don't the detectives usually interogate a person in this situation rather harsh?? To the point of getting Casey to break...I don't understand why not one detective has been able to break her and get her to talk...This whole thing is just absurd and makes me so angry. It is beyond all of us how a mother can just sit in jail and not say a word, not shed a freakin tear, not do a darn thing AND she is capable of leading us to this young child. Its people like her that rot in hell...For heavens sakes has she not ever been taught the difference between Heaven and Hell? and between life and death? Maybe a few tasers and she would start talking (just a thought)

August 13, 2008 at 8:39 pm |
  34. Chris

Ummm, I just need to point out that this child was doomed by her name. If you name a little girl "Caylee," or "Haylee," or "Eryn," or "Jaymee," or "Ambyr," or "Tameesha," or, (good night) "Caitlyn," you should expect that at some point before the age of 10 she will be abducted, molested, or require a bone marrow transplant. Cute, idiosyncratic names are a bad, bad idea folks.

August 13, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  35. Phil

Well, I am a firm believer that this little girl is gone from this world. Unless a miracle occurs , which can happen. I am a firm believer in capital punishment. Start cutting fingers off at the 1st knuckle, she
    will spill the beans, its a promise. NO anestetic...........

August 13, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  36. tasia

i belivie that there is a 50% chance she can or cannot be alive. But hopefully if she is alive she will make it threw watever shes going threw. EVERYONE SHOULD PREY. we all love you caylee. <333

August 13, 2008 at 8:25 pm |
  37. bjm

My mind has went in so many directions here. first of all, if these grandparents know something, maybe they should be behind bars themselves. ive thought maybe casey did get caught up in something and someone really does have that darling little girl. but i always go back to that bruise under her eye and that boyfriend. thats all she was worried about, talking to tony. when i think of how i always wanted a little girl, and all the people out there that would have loved to have her. keep that mother in jail for years, if need be. lets all say prayers for little caylee and hope shes with jesus. she deserves that much.

August 13, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  38. Melissa, Los Angeles

I think back to how Natalee Holloway's mother reacted when she went missing and how Casey is acting with her "missing" child and it tells us a lot – Casey has something to hide and has no desire to "find" her daughter because she knows the truth of her whereabouts.

@ Ronald F. Morgan if you truly know where this woman is you should be calling 911 instead of posting on this blog waiting for someone to contact you.

August 13, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  39. Terasa Harris

White people always get away with murder.

August 13, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  40. lori

As sympathetic as i am to the grandparents, you know they are going through hell. I just can't help wonder if their behavior is just a ruse to keep Casey in their good graces in hopes that she will come clean with them. I just can not beleive that a seasoned officer and nurse would be so nieve and blind to the facts before them. Their claims and opinions of what they think has happened are beginging to sound as far out there as their daughters. So now I can't help but wonder if the grandparents really do believe their own stories and are hindering the investigation as a result of them, and if so, can they be brought up on charges of obstruction of justice or anything of the nature.

August 13, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  41. Angie

If Caylee is alive, I pray that she be adopted by a family that will care for her and love her unconditionally. It's pretty clear that this family has a repeating dysfunctional pattern that no child should be subjected to.

August 13, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  42. Carol

Everyone knows Casey did whatever has happened to Caylee. This family of hers knew she was not fit to be a mom full time by her\self. All her friends that really knew her also was aware of her short coming as a parent. Someone should have stopped her from being alone with this baby. I am not saying it is their fault. I am just saying they should have got her help and taken that baby and protected her until such time. We all protect the people will love to a point. Caylee was helpless though. At first I too thought it was probably an accident, but if was there would be no way she could walk around smiling and dancing and having a grand old time it was. We all know if she is dead her mother killed her. My prayers are for the family they love their daughter and sister but they now need to give her some hard lessons. My prayer is for that little girl Caylee. I pray everyday we are all mistaken and she shows up alive but lets face it there is very little hope left. I also pray for her mothers soul if she did kill her or even if not and she is alive this is still all her mothers fault.

August 13, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  43. amwh

These narcissists don't form "bonds" – like with spouses, parents and even their own children. They are the center of their own universe. They can imitate and go through the motions of normalcy, especially when not challenged by some other desire. But when the child became inconvenient, – poof – you're gone! Just like Scott Peterson and Neil Entwistle. I did think it was interesting how desperate Casey was to talk to her boyfriend on the phone from jail – "...just get me his number – I need – " she didn't finish the sentence. I need DRUGS? Did she need her fix? And she only told her brother she was at the theme park in Orlando "not for fun" because she was being taped and could not admit to any more fun; that was just a quick lie. As I understand it, Casey left at her own insistence 2 months ago "to bond," says her mother Cindy – and that's probably what Casey immediately set out to do – kill her child and rid herself of that "bond."
    I feel sorry for the grandmother, Cindy – she has made herself look nothing but pathetic and has NOT endeared herself to the public with her displays.

August 13, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  44. Dee

Ronald F. Morgan:

I hope you have tried to contact police on your own if you really believe what you say.

August 13, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  45. Jolene

Well, I still like to believe the truth will come out eventually but I'm not holding my breath. Until they either find Caylee or her body, it appears to be a guessing game and I think Casey knows that.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 13, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  46. Brandi in Texas

To: Ronald F Morgan

What do you mean "If somebody will contact me I will be glad to tell them where to find this woman." You need to call the Orange County Sheriff's Office (Florida) 1-407-836-HELP (4357) and you should of already done so with all the media attention that this story has received. There is also a tip line you know 1-800-423-TIPS. Shame on you sir. My thoughts and prayers are with this little girl.

August 13, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  47. kathy

one thing i don,t understand.casey said she wanted to take caylee to bond with her..if they lived with her parents for caylees two years.why wasn,t she bonded then?..my feeling is..casey didn,t want caylee nor did she want anyone else to have her..i,ve seen this before..casey was jealous that caylee bonded with her mother not her..another thing..casey kept saying..my gut feeling is she,s close to home..did cops check out all neighbors yards or woods?..my gut feeling is that shes buried close to home..caseys parents remind me of drew peterson..with the media..at first he was out there all the time..same as caseys parents.and kept talking..now same as peterson..the media is getting the blame for things going out of control..media was just doing their jobs

August 13, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  48. Kewan Woodard

She know damn well what she did and what happened to Caylee but she dosen't wanna tell the the truth on where she ,she was caught after one lie onto another that for one she dropped her off to some person that dosen't even exist or did not even casey or her daughter then another that that worked at universal studios that was a bunch of crap and bull she knew she was a damn liar because when I was watching Nancy Grace that night some pictures came up showing that selfish nincumpoop partying and messing around with another women she dosen't giva damn about her daughter at all ! Now she's got her own mother believing everything she tells her knowing it dosen't add up and as for Zanaida Gonzoles casey put that woman through hell with all the false accusations about the apartment she never lived or anything else Zanaida was right all along that she knew nothing but I'll say one doggone thing if caylee turns up dead or not where ever she is found Casey better be ready to pay the price and meet her maker!

August 13, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  49. Kayla

For those of you judging Caylee's Family... HOW DARE YOU! you cannot ever have an opinion with out an experience! You have no right to insult the parenting of Caylee's grandparents you are not them! you have no right to believe yourself to distinguish what a good or bad parent is! If that was your daughter and your grand daughter in this situation Then what you say you would do and what you actually do are two completely different things! There is no such thing as perfect parenting! we can make anything look good on paper. and can make it look even better in the public eye. behind closed doors is a virtually non existent world to others. Thats whats wrong with society today! GROW UP!! set a better example for your children! HAVE SOME RESPECT!! THIS IS A GRIEVING FAMILY! they are in anguish trying to find Caylee and you people sit there with your self accredited fake expertise thinking you know what a good parent is! I'm not defending Casey's actions obviously she has demonstrated she is in need of some sort of professional help. and to say that caylee is dead because no one has seen her... Are you serious??? what if that was your child??? how would you feel if that is what people were saying?? I live in San Francisco and I can tell you that I do not study the face of every child I see. anyone living in a big city can tell you that the chances of them even knowing who their neighbors are.. slim to none! you usually have your phone glued to your ear or head phones in and are never looking at people only past them!! and it might actually be possible that they have her out of public eye... My Daughter is Caylee's age and as a mother my biggest fear is something bad happening to her she is my whole world! but if I was told that going to police or giving up certain information would put my child at any type of risk you better believe I'd be reluctant to give up information as well. This family needs support not negative backlash! I stand behind the grandparents 100% I support getting help for Casey. she is a seriously troubled individual. But there is obviously some good behind those eyes she's only human.

August 13, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  50. Agalag

This family is a tough crowd.

Unfortunately for Caylee, she was born into it. Casey didn't become the nut job that she is overnight. This girl got away with murder while growing up, and here's the result. Even the story regarding Caylee's father is hard to believe. There's something very odd going on and for some reason Casey is getting away with not disclosing the details of where her own child is. WTF? If that were me, at any age, and my parents had to come to jail to find out what I did with my baby–there would have been no question that they would have gotten it out of me–one way or the other....but that's why I'd never do anything so beyond comprehension. Gee, think there's a connection?

That poor baby is gone–sad to say–but these folks have no one to blame but themselves. That Casey is pure evil–but no one saw it coming??? Come on!

August 13, 2008 at 7:22 pm |