August 12th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Twisted webs

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

“You’re just not pretty enough for our international audience, but we’ll still use your angelic voice!”

Somehow I doubt that was the exact phrasing Chinese officials used to tell little Yang Peiyi that she would not be singing/lip-syncing at the Opening Ceremony last Friday in Beijing, but if I were 7 years old, that’s how it would sound to me. It would sound like that if I were 27!

Here’s the deal: Yang Peiyi won a very difficult contest to sing the patriotic “Ode to the Motherland”, as the Chinese flag made its way into Beijing’s National Stadium. She still sang – on tape – but couldn’t be front and center to lip-sync the song because at the last minute, they put 9 year old Lin Maoke in to play the part. She’s apparently much prettier.

For the record, I think Yang Peiyi’s buckteeth are cute. Did I mention she’s SEVEN ?! Who has perfect teeth at age 7? And we wonder why young girls have complexes….

Focus on the Family is no longer asking its member to pray for rain on Barack Obama’s parade. A media producer with the conservative group posted a video on the group’s website asking people to pray for rain of “biblical proportions” in Denver on Aug 28 –the day Obama is scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Enough rain to drown out the speech and the network coverage.

The producer behind that spot said it was meant to be “mildly humorous”, but not everyone got the joke. Focus on the Family pulled the video – complaints came from within the organization, as well – noting prayer shouldn’t be used to bring harm.

When you buy kosher, you know exactly what you’re getting… but you may not know how all the details about how your kosher chicken got to you, and that’s a problem.

Last spring, an immigration raid at one kosher plant laid out violations including underage workers. That embarrassing revelation has added fuel to the “hekhsher tzedek” or “certificate of righteousness” movement – basically, a plan to certify not only the food products these plants make as kosher, but the working conditions there, as well.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Hi Erica
    This is an outrage that poor little girl being picked on like that.I don't understand why they insist on body image as the most imporatnt focus of our youth .It's lioek if you don't look a cetain way or wear the right clothes or have the "perfect face " they dismiss you. I feel so sorry for her she went through all of the grueliing pracvctice sang her heart for them and they treat her like dirt,it's just not fair . When will evewryone care about one another agin and stop all this superfiical
    idealism.
    Thanks Michelle

August 13, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  2. Barbara Haselton

Cute little Yang Peiui's voice will take her a long way. She is just a little girl and her talent will be with her a lot longer than the other girl's so called "beauty." I would like to see her when she is a young teen, bet she turns into a real head turner!

August 13, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  3. Diane O

I agree with Erica. I thought the real singer was cute enough. They were listening to her voice and it is beautiful. Does China really think that a spectacular opening ceremony is going to wipe out all their injustices. It like going to church on sunday to wipe out all the bad things you do all week.

August 13, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  4. EJ (USA)

I've always been curious as to what time the late night anchors get home and go to bed. Midnight, 1am? And then wake up at what time? Does Anderson try to get 7 hours of sleep each night?

August 12, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  5. Don, WA

The beautiful "voice" is the highlight of this olympics.

August 12, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    Who knew that China would be as vain as Hollywood. Not pretty enough to sing on live tv? How sad, but the upside is now that it's exposed, Yang Peiyi will probably have her well deserved day in the limelight. Hopefully very soon..

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

August 12, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

So Focus on the Family wanted everyone to pray for rain? Why not a tornado or hurricane instead? That is just so ridiculous. Some jokes misfire and this one certainly seems to have done that.

I hope someone told the young girl who sang the Chinese anthem that beauty does not last forever but real talent does and besides buck teeth can be fixed but the other girl will never have a voice as beautiful as hers.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 12, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  8. Presley from Michigan

What, no fire and brimstone and locusts?
    Amateurs.
    I took a little stroll through their website, Focus on The Family, wow.
    Methinks Kool Aid is the drink of choice there.....just sayin'.

August 12, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  9. Jolene

Hi Erica: You would think with all the money they put into the China Olympics, they could have at least paid to have little Yang Peiyi’s teeth fixed since they are all about perfection. I agree, she looks cute regardless, and is truly blessed with such a beautiful voice!

I don't think any amount of praying will rain on Obama's DNC parade and what exactly does "mildly humorous" mean anyway? Hmmm.

Although I like the idea of “hekhsher tzedek”, I do believe that getting certified would add costs but just like organic food, it may just be worth it.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 12, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  10. Larry

Yep, no rain on obamarx's ascension

August 12, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  11. Heather,CA,US

Hello Erica,

I am Jewish and I know I would be physically sick knowing the food I ate was handled by people who were abused.No one not even a Rabbi is above the law.He is a criminal.I expect the company that makes kosher food to be kosher in how they treat the most important people of all those handling the food.To me kosher means not just the food.This Rabbi is a schmuck(idiot).I am always greatful to be able to buy kosher chicken etc.I am also greatful to those who handle and prepare it.

August 12, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  12. Lilibeth

And people wonder why kids develop inferiority complex. Sounds like Yang Peivi handled it maturely though. I’m proud of the way she conducted herself.

See you tonight,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 12, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  13. Deborah

Is it true that Sen. John McCain was not born in the United States?

August 12, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Erica,
    I agree with you too. You have a good point........ Well, That will be good day for Olympics in Beijing, China..... I am enjoy watching Olympics all time.after AC360 program. I will see olympics again...... I will see you there AC360 Live Blog and program tonight....... See you soon!!!! 🙂
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 12, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  15. Alexander

Erica, I agree with what you said regarding the Olympics in Beijing. Good point, as is typical of your news notes. Hope your evening is going well.: )

August 12, 2008 at 7:23 pm |