August 8th, 2008

Evening Buzz: A Family Affair

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/08/08/edwards.affair/art.edwards.no.gi.jpg caption="Former Sen. John Edwards has been listed as a possible 2008 vice presidential candidate."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Elizabeth Edwards is speaking out about her husband's extramarital affair. Here's what she wrote on the Daily Kos:

Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some – most recently – caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

John made a terrible mistake in 2006. The fact that it is a mistake that many others have made before him did not make it any easier for me to hear when he told me what he had done. But he did tell me. And we began a long and painful process in 2006, a process oddly made somewhat easier with my diagnosis in March of 2007. This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.

The pain of the long journey since 2006 was about to be renewed. John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one's mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John's conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

That's Elizabeth Edwards, in her own words.

Tonight on 360, we'll have more on the impact this is having on Elizabeth Edwards. And, we'll look at the political implications of Senator Edwards' affair. We'll also dig deeper into who the other woman is, 44-year-old Rielle Hunter.

All that and more tonight on 360 at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Charles

I can't believe you spent the whole hour talking about John Edwards. I somehow always thought that you would not degenerate into a Magazine Program like the rest.

August 8, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  2. Ivan

I have been watching CNN over the last 2-3 hours with amazement. Russian tanks are rolling into Georgia, and 98% of the coverage has been about a politician who cheated on his wife.

With priorities like these, it's no wonder America is not doing so well.

August 8, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  3. Livon

Not a Edwards supporter. I find it disgusting that he would cheat on his wife who has been so sick. But why aren't we talking about how John McCain came home from Vietnam to find his wife disfigured and heavy from a car accident only to start messing around with Cindy. A month or two after his divorce, they were married. Let's face it. If we didn't vote for people because of personal lives, no one would be in office.

August 8, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  4. Deb

With all the important things going on in the world, why do we focus on this. Whose business is this anyway? No one but the Edwards. If the media would ever once not be the vultures that they are and take the attitude that it is not the business of the public, maybe these stories would not take center stage.

August 8, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  5. nikki hodges

Really Anderson? Why the sensationalized reporting? He made a mistake 30 years into his marriage. It's private! By the way, what's up with EXCLUDING McCAIN from the group who cheated? Everyone knows he left his disabled wife to have an affair with Cindy. If you're going to report the story, cover everything and everyone!

August 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  6. Robin

I am watching the current program on John Edwards. Cooper I have always loved your show. However, I was very upset to hear you say tonight that Riell Hunter ruined John Edwards career. John Edwards ruined his career. He has to take responsibility for his actions. There were two willing parties involved, so do not place the blame on her.

August 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Ken Lohr

he has shown no courage but admited this when there was no other choice . that in no way shoulod be considered couragious.

August 8, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Ken Lohr

how can john edwards be wrong when bill clinton was accused and admited to the same things.. elizibeth edwards for president,

August 8, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Mariliyn

This country needs to grow up. Many presidents had affairs, Jefferson had black slaves. Edwards affairs is between him and his family. I'm much more concerned about politicians taking our rights away, and lying about wars than I am about their personal business.

August 8, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Greg C

I liked Edwards. This story has really disappointed me. Mrs. Edwards has handled this with her usual courage and grace. In the end the senator is just a man. Unfortunately, he is further proof that we are the weaker gender.

August 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Teri

Elizabeth Edwards has my complete admiration for what she has been through. God bless her and her children during this trying time.

August 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jay

If these women with cheating husbands would start putting them 'out' and stop putting up with their lies maybe these so called 'men' would think twice about breaking their vows. How many families have to be destroyed because a man can't control himself. Just because someone is under alot of pressure with their job or family issues or finances doesn't give anyone the right to do whatever feels good to them and the hell with everyone else. What does this say about John Edwards character or anyone else in his situation for that matter. He has no morals and no values. He's pathetic!

August 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Kay

My heart goes out to the Edwards children, adn to Elizabeth. Her statement is adirable, but she is clearly in denial...and with the health crisis she is facing which is undeniable, it serve her well not to fully face the scoundrel that is her husband. I could care less about the implications this has in the realm of politics. John Edwards is not the first man, or the first politician to lie to save face. He is a coward and a liar, clearly. And it appears, by all surrounding circumstances that he is still lying. Regardless of the paternity of that child, he lied AGAIN to his wife and the public about his late night visit to her. Men like this do not change, they are cowards and thus they lie. Common man, rich man, politician, private citizen...their motivation is the same, they are too cowardly to face the music to get what they really want, so they lie. John Edwards, you are a coward and a liar. Your sin is not your "mistake", your sin(s) are your lies. We all fall short, yes, but only those who truly come clean and change the shortfall can move forward with dignity.

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Rhonda

I know that this is a big story, but why must we have to see this over and over again! I think this is such a sordid story and I think the media, as usual, has gone way overboard! Don't you all care about their children? They are innocent in this mess and should not have to deal with kind of nonsense! Everyday, more and more, I am turned off by the media! Too bad, none of the media found time to look at what our President was doing to this country! Now there's a story! I am so tired of all of the media. It amazes me how all of you put your own spin on this story, but you do that with all stories. I hope none of you find yourselves in a predicament that's embarrassing or hurtful! Only then will you understand your role in these tragic stories

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Mike

Sure, many of us have done some really dumb things. We, however, have not been running for President of the United States. Leaders ARE held to higher standards. That's what leaders are suppose to do "lead."

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. gloria, New Jersey

I am a Republican, but have always admired John Edwards for what I considered high morals and strong family values. I am very disappointed, but think the media is doing more harm to the family than is necessary. He is NOT running for President so stop dwelling on the "what ifs" and let Elizabeth and the children deal in private with this terrible blow they have been dealt.

August 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Iain

What the hell is going on? I agree with most people on this blog. This should be a non-story at the best of times, and today, when one of the most power hungry nations in the world has invaded a sovereign country, all I see on television is this crap. How about some real news for a change; you can leave this to the Enquirer

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Jim Hamilton

Not that I'm conspiratorial or anything, but am I the only one who thinks that the timing of the Edward's public confession was worked out to coincide with Obama's vacation – far off the mainland?

Is it even possible that both events were timed to coincide with the opening of the Olympics?

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  19. bb

Oh, what a sad story for Elizabeth Edwards. Such a fine lady and she deserves better than her lying, cheating husband. Thank God he is the running for President.

August 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. John

On John Edwards

Who Cares!!!, There are many more important things going on in the world, so he had an affair big deal. I think that this is petty and not worth reporting, find someone in politics that has never had one and that might be news.

John, Hawaii

August 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Sara Sachs

I am so sick of all of you in the media spending so much time on this sort of thing when there is so much going wrong in this country right now. The fat cats on Wall Street must be very happy now with you covering the John Edwards story to this extent so that they can continue to get away with screwing over working people without your scrutiny. All of you who should know better have become Fox News and the National Enquirer. The Edwards family have had their private business from two years ago splashed all over the media. Get a clue. I don't care. I care about a war with too many being killed, not to mention ruining our economy, as well as inflation from our new energy crisis. Shame on you!!

August 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Larry

Hey! At least we in America have freedom of the press. If The Enquirer was wrong then John 'the lawsuit king' Edwards would have brought suit against them, he has a record of going for big money, ask the AMA.

August 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Bob VA

Mrs Edwards has gone through a lot and I wish her well in her battle against cancer. I do have one issue that I must raise. Mrs. Edwards knew of the affair before she permitted and supported Sen Edwards in his Presidential effort. So why knowing that this issue could blow up his campaign and possibly the Democratic Party, if he were the nominee, would she not have demanded he did not run for the good of all concerned?

August 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  24. jess

why are you all up in his business ?
    its his life not yours
    all of a sudden his business you can talk
    sure he lied but still that's his personal life

August 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

Elizabeth is one classy lady. I admire her and her words in a very personally hurtful situation.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Evan

Excuse me....but some talking head on Blitzer just said that this is why we do not trust politicians....WRONG....we do not trust them because they lie and get so many people killed...we do not trust them because they say they do not torture when they do...we do not trust them because they make up names like the clear skies initiative that is anything but...we do not trust them because they lie about things that AFFECT US!

August 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. JOANNE

The American media have got to be the craziest and cruelest media in the world. This affair is none of your business. What is it about the word "PERSONAL" that you do not understand. America is literally falling apart @ the seams and this affair is taking top billing. I feel very sorry the the Edward family because you vultures will pick them apart until they are bare bones. Don't do unto others as you would not do to yourselves.

God save America.

August 8, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  28. Don

Rom- 3/23 all have sinned and fall shortly

August 8, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  29. Jo Anne Cummings

My, my, my......Mr. Clinton should be crucified, but Mr. Edwards; "even the greatest among us have moments of weakness" or "who among us has not sinned". Yeah, it's all fair isn't it????

August 8, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  30. anne,newfoundland,canada

I really hope that there is MORE to the program tonight,than Edwards,with so many other things going on:

the Olympics,Russia/Georgia,the wars,etc.

I really feel for Mrs.Edwards and the kids in all this.

Oh,and I just saw a picture on cnn.com,of the "other woman" in this thing......

does anyone see a similarity to Camilla Parker Bowles??

August 8, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  31. Maureen O. From California

"Whoever that 'HAS NOT SINNED' cast the first stone!"

August 8, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  32. Larry

And on a night when there's not supposed to be Late Night 360 at that.

August 8, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  33. aimee - vancouver

You guys are seriously going to focus your program on this "breaking News". Please give me a break. He made a mistake and has apologized for it. Aren't we all sinners? John Edwards is still a great man, great father and great husband in my eyes but even the greatest among us have moments of weakness.
    Suggested topics: imminent war between Russia and Georgia; Olympics opening ceremonies

August 8, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  34. alfonso guerrero

Of all the things to bring up with John Edwards lye, cover up and so forth, we can add inconsiderate and poor judgment. Worst insult to a wife, cheat her with a lesser attractive woman. What is wrong with these virile and ego charged democrats.

alfonso

August 8, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  35. Larry

Wonder why edwards waited til obama and the rest of congress and the house went off on vacation?

Hillary must be pissed, since it was edwards endorsement of obama that really stopped her momentum.

August 8, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  36. Missy

What is getting more coverage tonight – John Edwards' affair or the opening ceremonies of the Olympics? Bet Edwards was hoping for the later.

August 8, 2008 at 8:50 pm |