August 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hate to say it, but this added stress may have contributed to the reoccurrence of her cancer.

August 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I think we need to stay our of their personal business. Let them have their private time.

August 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Karin - Canada

Casey – Palm Spring... Speculation is just that... who are we to be judge and jury before we have the facts.

August 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Casey – I still like John Edwards, but if there is a time to call him out – now is the time. It just broke today and he will take the heat for a few more days (likely weeks because of the baby/paternity part of this story).

I understand that he can make a mistake but the circumstances of this story call for a lot of public scrutiny. There is no way around it, in my honest opinion...

August 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Ruth

Ye who is without sin, cast the first stone. Mercy. The most of you have done the same thing. Would all of you be so talkive if it was one of your family? If someone doesn't have a bad name, they will when the media gets through with them.

August 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Rose from Southern Calif

Mrs. Edwards still is standing by her man, she would of left him along time ago.

August 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Joan Miami, Fl

The loose ends an damage control Mr, Gergen refers to is going to be tough to resolvem especially when you are dealing with one who doe not speak the truth. Apologies just don;t cut it. That's what every one keeps doing.

August 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Maureen T

Elizabeth Edwards is a rock though!

August 8, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Karin - Canada

Given that John Edwards admitted to an affair only proves that even very smart people can be terribly stupid. As to the speculation if he fathered a child, it would be nice if the media would stop following in lockstep with a tabloid paper and their ascertions. It doesn't say much for responsible journalism.

August 8, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    I agree with you........ I felt that people are so upset at John.....

August 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  11. cally-las vegas

I think Elizaabeth has known for awhile- this is why she didn't accompany john to detroit when he endorsed obama. also, explains her special relationship with Hillary-goes much deeper than the health care issues they both hold near and dear to their hearts. Why is it smart woman always seem to wind up with narcissists?

August 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  12. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I love the way 360 bloggers are so eager to jump up to throw someone under the bus. One mistake does not erase a life of positive work and being a good father and husband.

August 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Matthew in KY

So does this mean that his public career is finished or can he ever regain the public's trust?

August 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. aimee - vancouver

quincy – as far as i know that kind of protection is not %100 guarantee . So to ease the mind of all of you who are pounding on Mr. Edward, it's only logical to take a DNA test

August 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Is it just a coincidence that Edwards dropped out of the race on January 30 and the baby was born in February? Just asking.

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Julie

And his wife has cancer too? That's so sad. Come on John...

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Mary

Wow – I think the real story is that the Nat'l E actually printed something that could be verified. It must have shocked them!

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Rose from Southern Calif

I feel more sorry for Mrs. Edwards and the kids.

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Quincy

Wow, Anderson what is to be said about these frauds we call leaders.
    That's why we all should live our lives the way our lives suit us and not look to these fools for guidance. And why did he not protect himself?

August 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Dee F

Just because he was a 'bad ' husband does not make him a terrible father

August 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. bonnie huett

Anybody who believes that Elizabeth Edwards knew about this in 2006 instead of 30 minutes after the National Enquirer broke the story needs a reality wakeup check. Been there and know how that works-THE WIFE IS THE LAST TO KNOW. Take it to the bank. She has now just become part of the cover-up instead of the victim.

August 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Heather

He must be very unhappy to have any afair.But to violate his wife's trust and show a total lack of respect for her.Why not just divorced.

August 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Rose from Southern Calif

Hi guys hope every one is having a good friday. What a day of news john edwards...wow!

August 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Edwards may not be running for office, but I heard that he was being considered for a cabinet post so this is an important story.

August 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

Could you please find out why Edward’s was even out here in Beverly Hills a couple weeks ago? Why is he coming out here to see her and the baby? What’s going on?

Because he's the father!

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Brad, Hinesville, GA

I think Sen. Edwards is one of the best liars in history. And now that he has been caught, he need to get out of politics all together and go into selling used cars. Of course he needs to mend things with his family. But he also has an obligation to America, since he is a public figure. I'm not judging him, but I will certainly not vote for him nor trust anything he says in the future.

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. CAROLYN JONES

tthanks erica christine don understand how the lies could have effected the democratic party.

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Casey, if they lack character in their private lives, what makes you think they would have it in their public lives?

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Joan Miami, Fl

erica – you are so right.

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Sarah Atlanta, GA

What made edwards think he could get way with this??? Apparently he thought he was above a scandal. Obviously that was wrong and he's got himself a scandal.

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Moe

People like Mr Edwards cause many to turn away from politics. This was ultimate betrayal because this guy was so believable and innocent.

August 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  32. AJ

Erica, I agree with you. The affair in and of itself of bad, but many males with sympathize with John's sexual needs and his wife's cancer. It was the denying and lying that will appaul Edwards supporters.

August 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  33. shae

it is my hope that he is not the father of this baby for elizabeth's sake and his children. my heart only goes out to his wife and kids. what else does his wife, an amazing and incredible woman, have to endure in this lifetime? (the loss of a son, battling cancer, now an unfaithful husband) elizabeth deserves so much better.

August 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Rita, Tampa FL

What people do in their private life is a reflection of their morals and character though, wouldn't you say Casey .....

August 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Debbie Sackville

I really liked John Edwards. He seemed like a family man, caring man, and was the image of honesty. When someone is too good to be true ....the bubble always seems to burst. Let's hope Obama's bubble does not burst.

August 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. quite a day

August 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Greg C

This story is sadly too common. Mrs. Edwards has shown her usual courage, elequence and grace. I'm very disappointed in the senator. In the end he is just a man. We sure seem like the weaker gender.

August 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Not to make excuses for her, but he was the married one, he should have known better. She, like so many other women, was chasing after wealth and power.

August 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Hannah Storm

If Elizabeth knew about the affair, I can't believe she would encourage John to run for president. Just so many things about this story do not make sense

August 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

What people do in their private lives is not a reflection of how they do their work.

August 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Frank

Why is this such a big news story. It's none of our business. He is not an office holder, nor is he running to hold one. There are more important things the media should be talking about. Now you are going to run stories about this woman's past personal life? No wonder this country is a mess. Let's ignore issues that deal with our lives.

August 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    I didn't see this coming with John Edwards. It's unfortunate, but I don't quite get the timing of his confession either. It could have been dealt with a long time ago.

August 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Carla

I am all for forgiveness.
    We cannot throw stones when we all can look at our own mistakes and ,Thank God the past mistakes are not advertized all over the media.
    But I must say that I do look at the content of a persons character before I vote for them.
    Reason for this is because it tells me if they are going to be able to handle the job without wavering.
    Are they going to lie and hide other things that may come up in their office.
    This is very important.

August 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Heather

Why does a man who tell's his wife privately that he had any afair and said it's over and not the father of the baby,continue to spend time with her and a baby that he say's isn't his?

August 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Kiki Teague NC

I have known John Edwards from when he first ran for Senate. I was and still am a devoted supporter of John Edwards. Today's events are a tragedy. He did a bad thing and got caught. I don't feel betrayed at all, in fact, I have even more love for the Edwards family as they get through all this. I am put out with CNN for running this into the ground.
    Oh Y'all who are without sin go ahead and start throwing them rocks!

August 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. jen rose

I don't think...I could be as forgiving as Elizabeth is.

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  47. craig

People talk about atheletes and movie stars being role models, do politicans think they are exempt from being role models. They all need to get a grip and get over their egos.

Craig
    Pratt, KS

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  48. CAROLYN JONES

we had a bill passed in ca. ab252 paternity fraud trying to get these woman who were geting huge amounts of child support just by useing a mans name. and the courts were making them the father.

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Joyce, in Ky.

I am convinced that my judgement skills are seriously impaired. I supported Edwards in '04 and in '08 until he dropped out. I will not try to push my ideas on people again. I cannot believe I was so wrong about him. Shame on me.
    My prayers go to his family....but why did Elizabeth (who I have loved) go on the campaign trail for him knowing what he had done and how that would disrupt the democratic party if and when found out?

August 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Always follow the money, it will lead you to the truth.

August 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |