August 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

Christine, the affair is not the only part of the issue people are upset about - the lying is also a very big deal.

August 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

All of this is just bad. Really bad.

August 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica!!!
    Welcome back!!!!! miss ya!
    I felt sad for Elizabeth Edwards....... one day she will forgive John and his affair.

August 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Cindy

If John had nothing to hide then why did he run in the bathroom and hold the door shut?

Cindy...Ga.

August 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Heather

Anderson,
    Could you please find out why Edward's was even out here in Beverly Hills a couple weeks ago? Why is he coming out here to see her and the baby? What's going on?

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Jan in TX

For those who think this is about sex, Anderson just brought up the real issue......it is *not* the sex, it's about the cover-up. This is beyond dumb. It's the arrogance (really hubris) to think he's above publc scrutiny. He lost it for the Dems in 04 and is willing to lose it again! What's worse is that Elizabeth knew, too. What was she thinking?

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

What is the big deal? He had an affair not killed someone. Why do we need to know about someones private life. I don’t care about an affair that someone has or had. Not my concern.

Because it's not simply about an affair. This story is so crazy on so many levels. It's more much than an affair because of everything John said and did and what everyone thought. (and most of all his WIFE who many of us love who is dying of cancer)

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I feel sorry for Elizabeth Edwards. She has incurable cancer and now this. John edwards statement that his wife's cancer was in remission at the time almost sounds like a justification for what he did.

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The most disgusting part of this is that Edwards said that he started the affair while his wife was in remission, like that makes it all right.

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Joan

I am truly shocked! This behavior is uncalled for. Why did he do it and lie about it.? Blessings to the Edwards family.

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  11. zolton, Scottsdale

It is not the affair in itself. It is all the lies and hypocrisis surrounding the affair. How could you trust him to lead knowing that you could not trust what he is saying?

August 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  12. hayley j

Cheryl, in my opinion it does not make them less qualified. I think the issue is the fact that he denied it when it was obviously true. It comes down to a trust issue-if you can't trust who is in office who do we go to?

August 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Edwards ran for the presidency because, as he said, he is an egocentric narcissist who doesn't think about anyone but himself. If he had really cared for his family he would have quietly retired from politics.

August 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  14. ericacnn

thanks, everyone, for logging on tonight.
    the discussion has already been great so far – looking fwd to more.

August 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Christine

What is the big deal? He had an affair not killed someone. Why do we need to know about someones private life. I don't care about an affair that someone has or had. Not my concern.

August 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Penny

I agree with David Gergen. Politicians should not run for the President of the United States if they know that there is something in their background that could hurt their chances of taking office.

Now, there will be question about Obama and if he has problems that may plague his campaign for President. Vetting a candidate is so important.

August 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Hannah Storm

stupid is an under statement

August 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

I agree with David Gergen,
    He have good point..........that is so outrage for John Edwards!

August 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Cheryl M

Does someone having an affair make him or her less qualified for public office? And if so, why?

August 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Shannon

@Casey, McCain could has to take the high road as he did the same thing to his first wife when he got together with Cindy.

August 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Gwen from NJ

I like John Edwards and feel this one flaw in judgment has public consequences for him and his family. Politicians are humans, let us remember. I really think he would have been a good VP candidate until this. I was hoping he would be the nominee.

But, let's move on. Get back to the issues please.

August 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Matthew in KY

does anyone know how long the affair was, was it just one time or did it last for awhile?? My heart goes out to his wife and family and I just hope everyone will let them heal in peace.

August 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Jacqueline, NY

'Tis probably the real reason why he dropped out in the first place. I knew it had to be something else other than "the media paying too much attention the Obama and Clinton."

August 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Tish in NC

I really feel for the family, none of us live in glass houses.

August 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Possible payoffs too? It's always the coverup that gets these guys in trouble.

August 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  26. jen rose

hello everyone,

I can't imagine what John Edwards wife is going through, she was already dealing with enough. And to be married to someone for so many years, and they let you down when you need them the most, in my opinion he's pathetic! I wouldn't be as forgiving as she is.

August 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If the affair ended in 2006 what was he doing meeting with her in a hotel at 3am recently?

August 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  28. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Kudos to McCain for taking the high road, not to mention HRC and Obama.

August 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  29. hayley j

Does anyone believe it is really his child and he knows it now and thats why he is finally admitting to the story?

August 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! Can't we trust any of these politicians anymore! I feel sorry for the Edwards family! There goes his chance of being Vice President?! What can I say?...

August 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Hannah Storm

the truth always finds a way to come to light. I don't get why he went to see this woman and he baby a month ago if it was not his child and he really did not love her......story still smells fishy

God bless Elizabeth and the children during this time

August 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. G. Rodriguez

The real tragedy in this story is Elizabeth Edwards having to tolerate the media exposure. Sometimes the "story" becomes a cruel and mercenary media exercise. This really looks like one of those times. Have some decency.

August 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

His behavior doesn't mean he loves his wife any less, nor that he doesn't care about his family. We're just human beings....

August 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Edwards isn't the first and he won't be the last politician caught in a sex scandal, however, I think people find it all the more troubling because he always made his family the centerpiece of his campaign and he always talked so lovingly about his wife.

August 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Beth

Evening all. Have to say i am quite disappointed in John Edwards, i really wanted to like him..

August 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Shannon. It seems that their egos make it impossible for them to concieve of getting caught. It was the same with spitzer here in NY.

August 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Linda Powell - Singapore

It's amazing that Edwards would even think of running for president. How could he think that this would remain quiet?

August 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Jacqueline, NY

EJ, Neither did I. What so funny is that I just caught a glimpse of the cover of one of the rag mags today and thought, "Good Grief" and here it is on the news tonight.

August 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Cindy

John better thank God that he has a wife like Elizabeth. Most women would have kicked him to the curb.

Cindy..Ga.

August 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

Yeah bloggers,
    I agree with all of you...... I never forgive him that he lied to his wife about his affair!!!!

August 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I'm really disappointed because I thought of John Edwards as a potential VP or cabinet member. That said, it's none of my business, so I really don't care about the details or anything else. It's the family's private business. I can't believe the National Enquirer is being taken as a viable news source. Wolf Blitzer's interviews indicated that other members of Edwards campaign were having sex with the same woman (thus the baby). Wow! I wonder what else goes on while on the campaign trail?

August 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Sarah Atlanta, GA

Well gee here's a shock a political figure involved in a sex scandal. It seems like a requirement to be a political figure, at some point in time have sex scandal.

August 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Don

If we would have faith in God and not man we would not get so upset with leader -priest, preacher, politicians. Rom 3-23

August 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Shannon

I am absolutely shocked that John Edwards did not think this would be exposed and still ran for POTUS.

August 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jacqueline, NY

Hello all! Here we go again!

August 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Cindy

Evening Anderson and Erica.

What a day huh!? It seems John Edwards is just like any other politician...a liar! I just feel so sorry for his wife and kids!

Cindy...Ga.

August 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. EJ (USA)

I didn't even know about the previous speculation... so I was pretty shocked today.

August 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Saera El Paso, TX

hello everyone

August 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!
    Not good day for John Edwards.......he lied to his wife about his affair.
    what was he thinking?????

August 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

It's amazing how a sex scandal gets everyone back to work

August 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |