August 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Patty

Interesting the media outlet that broke the story was the National
    Enquirer...how sad for the public is that??

August 8, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Joan Miami, Fl

mr. gergen, you have blogged some important points.

August 8, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

This is news I admit, but I wish there were some other things on AC360 tonight. Good night everyone. Have a great weekend.

August 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Goodnight Anderson – you rock! Have a great weekend!

August 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  5. chitowngal07

Then he has to do the right thing for once!!!!!! He has to come clean and admit it is his child and be there for him/her. That would be really , really bad.... I hope to God he is not the father that would be just another slap in the face to his family..

August 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Heather

To say John Edwards has issues worthy of a psychological evaluation is being polite. His poor wife knowing the entire country knows about their private life.

August 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Maureen T

Very interesting show tonight Anderson!! Have a smashing weekend! See you next week! Cheers

August 8, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Emma

This is shocking and, at the same time, it's not. I feel bad for his family.

August 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Good night Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night!!!! sleep tight!!!! 😉
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!!
    See you on Monday!!!!

August 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Patty

Elizabeth Edwards and her children deserved better.

August 8, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Erica, If lying is such a big issue, would you have preferred that John Edwards held a press conference and said something like, "Look, I cheated on my wife, but vote for me anyway."

August 8, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Marie Lussoro and Mom

My heart goes out to Elizabeth Edwards and her children. I also am a breast cancer survivor and recognize the need for support at such a difficult time. It's hard enough fighting cancer .Edwards hurt his wife when he should have supported her emotionally. He not only betrayed his wife and children but also the people who supported him .

August 8, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Karen--Leesburg, VA

What ever happened to the good old days when a President could just keep his mistress and baby in a "little house" down on K Street and everybody just left you alone?

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Pat, NY

Why can’t Edwards show up at the convention? What does THIS have to do with that?

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Heather

Poor John Edwards he cant have his cake and eat it to! He needs to be honest with himself.No one mentions a paternity test publically unless they know the secret is up.Watch his chest he's breathing very fast and his face turns red. He's lying.

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Realist

Why does this come as a surprise to so many poeple? Anyone who cannot look at people straight in the eye without blinking as a distraction ,like he does, promotes a sense of dishonesty.

Their is no denying, to look at John & Elizabeth Edwards, they act like the perfect family, but honestly look like the "odd couple" I beleive at CNN you call this "Stage Craft".

John McCain's ad may be correct, we don't need celebrities as presidents.

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  17. shae

Mike, Syracuse, NY wrote: “Wow – I think the real story is that the Nat’l E actually printed something that could be verified. It must have shocked them!”

Thanks for that insight Mike! That must be a first for them... it's also, very scary!!!

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Cindy

Once a liar always a liar! So what else has john lied about to us!?

Cindy...Ga.

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  19. David Gergen

Hello everyone - a disheartening night. When so many Americans are facing economic troubles - and Russia is getting into a fight with China - we are engulfed in yet another sex scandal.

As I tried to say on the show, I think that as a society, we should try not to sit in judgment on people's private lives. If anything, doesn't the Good Book tell us to be forgiving?

But what deserves full discussion is the public life of our public leaders - whether they behave in ways that allows us to trust them. After all, they are seeking an enormous grant of power from us - and in exchange, we should be able to trust them. In repeatedly telling voters and his own staff that all of this was untrue, John Edwards violated that trust. Had he won the Democratic nomination and this story had broken - as it was almost certain to do - he would not only have destroyed his candidacy but the dreams of millions of people who want a Democratic president in the White House. That is stunning to me.

There were two people today who handled this with grace and dignity, in my view - the brave Elizabeth Edwards and John McCain. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama also handled it well, but special praise to Mrs. Edwards for her moving statement and to John McCain for not seeking to exploit or sensationalize.

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Rose from Southern Calif

Why does these politicians lie knowing that the newspapers or news station around the nation will find out the truth anyway. Just be honest with themselves and their family and then the public.

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. RICHARD

John has already admitted it to his wife and she has already forgiven him. Let's let the Edwards deal with that family issue and leave them alone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone thought that he denied it to save his wife the burden of harrassment by the media. She deserves some privacy, so leave them alone.

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Maureen T

John Edwards will be forgiven though by family and friends and the masses, and we will move on to the next story! Wait and see...

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If Edwards doesn't take the paternity test this will never be put to rest.

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Matthew in KY

What will Edwards do if, and that's a big if, the paternity test comes out and he is the father?

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Brandi

he needed to apologize without a bogus apology accompanying it. his wife and children do deserve that.

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Steve

The "99 percent honest" caught my ear also.

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Yes, I agree with bloggers,
    I don't why he did do that to his wife?????? I am really sick of it..........

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  28. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Jacqueline-"His behavior means that he is like all other men born into this world, He’s a liar and a cheat."

Jacqueline, I agree! Men are pigs (basically)! 🙂

August 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Jacqueline, wow what a sexist statement! Not all men cheat.

August 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Cindy

I think John can come back. If he comes clean with everything I think people will forgive him. They did Bill.

Cindy..Ga.

August 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Patty

Cheating on a spouse is bad enough, but lying to the public.... he's opened himself to our unfavorable judgement.

I hoped he was on a short list for O'Bama's VP....not now, no way..

August 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Sharon

In watching John Edwards, I always thought Elizabeth was truly his best asset. She still is, and he definitely needs her now. Once again, she is has the strength to stand by him.

August 8, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Matthew in KY

does anyone know what's the latest of spitzer after he stepped down, is there any criminal charge pending?

August 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Heather

I knew about this right after it happened and didn't want to beleive it because the Nat Inq reported it.

August 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Jacqueline, NY

Casey J- His behavior means that he is like all other men born into this world, He's a liar and a cheat.

August 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Rose from Southern Calif

I agree with you Jo Ann...Stress is what kills those who is fighting any kind of Cancer or illness.

August 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  37. David, Indiana

Good point by David Gergen about getting everything together before running for president. Maybe there is something good about all of this coming out.

August 8, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Brandi

this reminds me of a very expensive ordeal with a previous president in which i felt the family should have been left alone to deal with it privately. they are politicians, not priests.

August 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Patricia Lee

It really must be slow new night, cause you have just spent almost an hour on this Edwards lying thing... every one lies... who cares? Please tell me something interesting. This is not!

August 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

"Wow – I think the real story is that the Nat’l E actually printed something that could be verified. It must have shocked them!"

Mary, one has to wonder where the main stream media was, given all the rumors that were there for a long time.

August 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Rose from Southern Calif

It don't suprise me that John Edward cheated because I noticed that he wasn't so touchy and lovey with his wife in 2008. He always kiss her on the top of her head when they were together.

August 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Rocky

Let's not beat Edwards up too much with respect that he wanted to be a Presidential candidate. Bill Clinton was sneaking around in closets and vacant offices doing this kind of stuff WHILE he was president.

August 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  43. jen rose

I admire Elizabeth, she is a strong lady.

August 8, 2008 at 10:43 pm |