August 6th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/6/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Obama is either purposely misleading (because only about 2 million barrels of oil of the 21 million we import daily comes from the Mid-East and Venezuela) or uniformed. The ethanol idea has already proved to be a poor alternative driving up food prices. Combine these things with the 'proper tire inflation' schpeel and it looks like we may have a candidate using the shotgun strategy to an energy program.

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Lou

Well if coal miners built windmills at least they would have a job.

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Dee F

The hilton ad was scripted i believe..... it only shows she can read.

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  4. joe -- Windsor, Canada

Hey Anderson

90 billion (and counting) Iraqi surplus -WOW ! The good thing is, that the U,S can turn to the Iraqi's for a loan when the U.S runs out of MONEY !

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Yep you put Paris in your campaign ad and she makes an ad of her own, makes sense.

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

I hope police and FBI are going looking for Caylee to be found, My hearts go to granparents..........

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Tanya

I sure hope Obama realizes that Canada isn't part of the US and that you'll need to still buy our oil – so wouldn't that be considered foreign dependancy on oil?

August 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Hannah Storm

hi anderson

August 6, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Glen Up North

Evenin', Anderson 🙂

August 6, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Gwen from NJ

I think the McCain camp was not so smart to use Paris Hilton in their ad. They really should stick to the issues. We have bigger problems to worry about. What a distraction.

About the candidates: I want a candidate who will bring a different perspective to Washington. I am feed up with the “state of our politics”.

August 6, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Andrew, Lafayette IN

seems Paris can read from a teleprompter better than McCain...

August 6, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. andersoncnn

good evening everyone..

August 6, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Shane O'Sheeran Las Vegas, Nevada

What Foreman does't say is that if Obama is reducing the use of oil already then big oil would not be able to reduce production so that whole argument is na straw man argument, and when he fact chaecks mcCain he does no such thing, and does not even point out that he can', because McCain gave no policy meat or detailed descriptions like Obama did to fact checki!!!

August 6, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Jared

McCain has experience, 26 years of the same old politics putting the american people over a barrel. So yeah I'd rather have Obama who has very little experience in doing that.

August 6, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I guess Obama's plan will have coal miners building windmills. Good luck with that.

August 6, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Craig

This was Paris at her best 😉

August 6, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. deborah, OH

Greg & Erica, you are right! I thought she sounded more experienced & it was the first acting job I thought she did right. Hmmm.

August 6, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Susan Vertich

I want to praise Paris Hilton for her commercial which responded back to the ad McCain used to paint Obama in a negative light. I know the media enjoys portraying Hilton as an "airhead," however, her commercial proves she has more intelligence than everyone seems to think.
    Well Done. I think this may be the best political ad we will see.

August 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Janna

I think Romney had a good point during the Primary when he mentioned the experience of a Governor versus a Senator. That kind of leadership on both tickets for VP would be well rounded

August 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Kelly

Hello Anderson;

Always enjoy your show.
    Regarding the Paris Hilton add spot. One thing that strikes you is that, unlike John McCain, she is not constantly looking down at her notes for the next thing to say. Obviously using a tele prompter. I just can't believe when I watch John McCain how many times he looks down at his notes when speaking. My Goodness he is running for the highest office in the land-you think he could at least look like he just didn't get handed the script. I would suggest they try to get him comfortable with a tele prompter.

Just a thought.

August 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  21. ericacnn

Greg, I hate to admit it, but I agree! Her best work yet - she sounded informed – even kinda smart. Maybe I've been wrong about her... maybe

August 6, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Nettie

i think bill richardson would be a great choice too

August 6, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Craig

Why is experience so important for everyone? John McCain has 26 years of experience, but where has he helped lead the country. Look at where all this experience has taken us. Why hasn't he made the changes he talks about now, during the time he was in congress. He hasn't cared about these issues until polls told him they were important. If he was a true leader he would have fought for these things for the psat 26 years. I want new different, not experienced and the same.

August 6, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. MaryBeth

It's all well and good that we help Iraq rebuild, we did destroy their country. But that doesn't mean they get to stockpile money away. They need to help too. They need to govern. We won't (hopefully) be giving them an allowance forever.

August 6, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think the polls are reliable. There are too many variables involved that can swing the outcome one way or the other.

August 6, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. kathy

i am a hillary supporter and even if she was vp i dont think i could vote for obama . he is so fake

August 6, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Christine

I don't care about polls, I don't care about internet ads or whatever and the only words I care about out of Obama's mouth would be "I Quit"

August 6, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Lou

When they arrested that guy on the bus, he had a plastic bag in his pocket with the victims mouth, nose and ear. He also pleaded in court to be killed. I am from the Province where this occured.

August 6, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Hannah Storm

good decision to pull that greyhound ad.......just not right now

Joey won again......should become a drinking game

August 6, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Brooke

He may not want Hillary but he may need her to win key states like PA. Don't forget what happened to Gore. He won the popular vote.

August 6, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Sue

So McCain says – for a young man with little experience, he (Obama) has done pretty good. McCain just admitted that experience isn't all it takes to be good. So "go Obama go"!!!

August 6, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Claire

I'm an Obama supporter but I don't think McCain is too old. Let's face it, if he has the energy and stamina to campaign day after day all day long then he's got enough energy to be president. I don't think age should be a factor in this case.

August 6, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Shane O'Sheeran Las Vegas, Nevada

A candidate for the most serious and important job in there is, Leader of the free world, and he chooses to drag us down to pop culture juvenile ads trying to cast another candidate who at least deserves props, and respect for winning his parties nomination as one of two people who will rule the free world in a light as a vapid celebrity...Just rediculous, like McCains entire campiagn!

August 6, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Pamela - Holland, OH

Somehow I'm not really surprised that the Iraqi government is till accepting money from the US, after all they modeled their government after ours.
    (and we tend to be irresponsible with tax money and can hardly be held accountable for anything concerning the matter)

anyway, have a good rest of the show Anderson

August 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

Obama is older than JFK was when he was elected, and JFK got us to the moon.

August 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why would anyone take someone like Paris Hilton serious? She does not have even a lick of talent and is known for a sex tape and being a rich, dumb air head.

August 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar

Oh boy!!!!!! that is so funny one ad from Paris Hilton....... I love it!!!!

August 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Joey W in Florida

Pretty sad, Paris sounds more experienced than either one of them...
    good for her! Even still, brilliant move for McCain!!!
    He's made a great point Obama is all fluff adn no stuff
    using cultural icons got EVERYONE's attention!

August 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  39. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. Dee Dee Myers is right about Sen Bayh, he's had his own presidential buzz before for one thing. But Ed Rollins makes a great point, Hillary would bring the party together almost automatically, just because of her stature after the primary contest. That would be the strongest ticket. Candy Crowley is right too, need someone you feel comfortable with and who can be pres. It's a personal decision like Sen. Clinton said.

August 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Tom F

Paris Hilton has a longer resume than Obama.

August 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

I think I'd vote for Obama if he had the guts to call McCain a "wrinkly white-haired guy."

August 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. lampe

I hope McCain picks a woman. It seems to me that right now The Repus. can pick-up alot of Sen. Clinton's supporters. Maybe the Republicans will be willing to show them some LOVE.

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Lori Zibel

The VP choice is more than important for both.

But especially Obama. If he picks the right person (Hillary Clinton *cough*cough*), he can attract a lot of voters to himself and potentially away from John McCain.

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Hannah Storm

Anderson you said her name 😛

I think Paris' ad is hilarious and should be taken as a joke

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Janna

@David Strange, It's because we are responsible for all of the damage in Iraq. I do agree that the US wasn't paying attention...missing the point where the shift of financial burden should be shared more and/or given to them completely

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Greg C

I really thought Paris' video was great ! This is the first thing she has done that I have liked

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Cindy

OK on the risky thing how come On the Election center the poll she said was that 31 % of people saw Obama as risky and 21% saw McCain risky? Where did 360 get their numbers?

Cindy...Ga.

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

The buzz going around today is that Obama will have no choice but pick Hillary if he keeps falling in the polls.

August 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Jide Rotilu

i am still gunning for an obama clinto ticket, i have a feeling it is still coming up

August 6, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Mike Murray

Good evening.

What makes the Poll of Polls statistically correct when the included polls vary from day to day?

August 6, 2008 at 10:13 pm |