August 6th, 2008

Don’t go to the Bank on Fridays

Gabe Falcon
AC360° Writer

Hey, if you’re running to the bank to make a deposit or withdrawal, it’s best to avoid Fridays and mornings.

Not because of the long lines to the teller. But because that’s when armed robbers are most likely to hold up the place.

The FBI says 1,539 banks were robbed on Fridays in 2006, and more than 1,900 heists occurred between 9am and 11am.

So consider yourself warned.

Bank robbery is big business for crooks. They netted about $72 million in 2006, the latest year for which the FBI has figures.

It’s also a very dangerous crime - for people who happen to be in the banks at the time. That year, 129 victims were injured, 13 were killed, and 80 hostages taken.

The FBI has compiled a roster of the worst of the worst – their list of the Most Wanted Bank Robbers.

As you’ll see, the suspects often wear baseball hats and sunglasses. Some use hoods. A few have beards and moustaches. All are believed to be armed.

Let’s introduce three of them to you. Who knows? Maybe you can bring them to justice.

From left to right: "The Port Richmond Robber", "The Red Handed Bandit", and the bearded crook.

Authorities have labeled the first man the “Port Richmond Robber.” Federal agents say he has held up more than a dozen banks in the Philadelphia area since 2005. His modus operandi involves handing a note to the teller demanding money. The letter also warns he has a gun or an explosive device.

The “Port Richmond Robber” is believed to be in his late 30s to mid 40s; he is thin, about 6 feet tall, with a complexion described as “very pale.”

Next, the criminal known as the “Red Handed Bandit.” With a muscular build, this armed robber has held up banks in Houston. Like the “Port Richmond Robber," Red gets right to the point, threatening violence if the teller does not hand over money. He then tells his victim to put the cash in a red bag or towel he has supplied for the job. Red often appears wearing a baseball cap that matches the color of his gloves.

In the south, investigators are looking for this bearded crook. Earlier this year, he robbed banks in Georgia and Virginia. In both instances, he waited until closing time before brandishing a gun. He then tied up the employees and collected an unknown amount of money before leaving in a getaway car.

If you see them next time you're making a deposit, call the FBI.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. Jason, Rochester Hills,MI

I think the FED ought to establish the requirements to even BE a teller at a bank. Do a more detailed background check on them, and then get them all a permit to carry a weapon in the bank. It will bring armed robbery to a near stand-still if the crooks have to WONDER if they are going to be handed a bullet as opposed to a bag of loot!

Liberals are seriously trying to render our society captive to the fruit-loops out there. I can tell you right now...if someone tries to rob me with a weapon...they are going to be looking a .45 ACP in the face FAST!

God bless the NRA and the citizens of America that still believe in our Constitutional RIGHT to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

It is sheer insanity to suggest that we are going to be a safer society if we are un-armed. If that is the case...the only people with a gun to protect themselves would be the CRIMINALS! Ludicrous.

August 6, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  2. Sharon from Indy

Friday bank robbers are why I participate in auto deposit and online banking. Either way, there is risk to your money. I guess the next step is to hide it under my mattress.

August 6, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  3. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

The bearded crook is Fidel Castro........he needed something to do now that he isn't the big shot in Cuba anymore..............

August 6, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  4. Jim,

The Joke would be on the robbers in my case- I took my money out of the Bank,& do not do bussiness with them Do not have or use credit cards or do electronic banking or buying- Thus it is harder for me to get robbed & they don't want to try & rob me face to face As my Lawyers/ Body Gaurds- Baretta,Smith & Wesson are with me.

August 6, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  5. Willie Sutton

Banks get robbed on Friday's and in the morning becuase that's when the most money is there, ready to be distributed to the people.

Make bank patrons remove their hats? What's next, making us remove our shoes at airport security? Oh, wait.

August 6, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  6. Melissa Los Angeles

I don't understand why they don't have cameras shooting up from the slot where you slide money through. With technology nowdays, they can install cameras in the walls and possibly get deadon shots too. Speaking of cameras – why are the stills still so grainy? The grocery store I go to has better cameras!

August 6, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  7. JC- Los Angeles

Gabe, I don't know if you're aware of this or note, but most Americans don't go to the bank because they have no money.

Our nation has a 0.0% savings rate (it's actually negative) and an instant gratification, gluttonous consumption mindset.

Each time hack Greenspan dropped rates, the American public spent, spent, spent; now they have no money and massive debts.

It went something like this:

"Hey that hack Greenspan dropped rates again; how about a new home with 100% financing? we'll re-do the kitchen, baths, add dual vanity sinks, lease a new Range Rover, get a personal trainer, hit yoga, pilates, steakhouses, purchase a dog and start a family."

Not only aren't people going to the bank but the banks are actually failing; hilarious to witness.

August 6, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  8. Michelle, Spring Valley, CA

Jackie, I think you have a good idea. For safety reasons, I think people would understand having a rule about that, with exceptions like you said.

August 6, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  9. Jackie

Why don't banks just require that people remove their hats? Of course, exceptions can be carved out for religious head pieces.

August 6, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  10. Annie Kate

That description of the Port Richmond bank robber could describe a lot of people – in his late 30s to mid 40s; he is thin, about 6 feet tall, with a complexion described as “very pale.” Just give him some silver hair and we might have to ask Anderson to account for his wherebouts!

Sorry – I just couldn't resist it.....

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 6, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  11. Cindy

Thanks for the heads up Gabe! You'd never think that people would try to rob banks at the busiest times. I mean here Fridays and in the mornings are the worst times to go to the bank because it is packed!! But I guess if you are robbing a bank you aren't really thinking anyway huh!? LOL

Cindy...Ga.