August 5th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Where's Caylee?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/CRIME/07/30/caylee.grandmother/art.missing.florida.girl.ap.jpg ="Two-year-old Caylee Anthony, shown here in this undated photo, went missing in early June."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Is two-year-old Caylee Anthony dead or alive?  And does her mother know?  Investigators in Orlando, Florida believe Casey Anthony is hiding something. Today, prosecutors charged the single mother with child neglect and filing a false statement, but not her disappearance. Police say Casey lied and didn't report her daughter missing for more than a month.  Casey says she left Caylee in the care of a babysitter on June 9th and when she went to pick her up she says Casey and the sitter were gone. She didn't call police. Instead, Casey launched her own search for her daughter. And when she returned home 5 weeks later, without Caylee, the little girl's grandmother was worried. The grandmother called 911 and told the dispatcher, "I told you my daughter was missing for a month. I just found her today. But I can't find my granddaughter. She just admitted to me that she's been trying to find her herself. There's something wrong. I found my daughter's car today and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car."  Investigators confirm the strong odor coming from the trunk of the car. They say Casey has told several lies and discovered the apartment where she claimed to leave Caylee with a sitter has been vacant for months. Tonight on 360°, we'll have the latest twists in this bizarre case.

We'll also have a dose of raw politics. In the op-ed section of today's New York Times David Brooks asks the question, "Why isn't Barack Obama doing better?" We'll put that question to our own political gurus. And, we'd love to know what you think.

Also, just moments ago, we learned that federal investigators will announce tomorrow that the anthrax case is solved. The decision comes after Army scientist Bruce Ivins committed suicide last week. But several holes remain in the case. Tonight, we'll look at the unanswered questions.

All that and more tonight on 360°.
Hope you'll join us!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Marcia

If Caylee is truly missing and was supposedly taken over state lines why has an Amber Alert never been issued, think about it.

August 6, 2008 at 8:41 am |
  2. Michael

I find it hard to believe Casey's claim of ignorance to the whereabouts of her child could be an effort to "protect her little girl".

She either knows something and is hiding it – which would make her a selfish and rather evil human being. Or else she doesn't know anything and was just that foolish to believe she was better equipped to search for Caylee herself for a month, without the willing help of police and the rest of her family.

Now come on, which alternative is more plausible? Party pictures taken after her daughter was reported missing, and her trunk smells like a dead body? Give the feds another month or 2 and this case is closed.

August 6, 2008 at 2:52 am |
  3. ann

where is caylee dad and what is he doing to find her?

August 6, 2008 at 2:38 am |
  4. kay, Huntsville, AL

I am sorry Caylee is missing. I do not trust her Mother. What kind of Mom goes out to party if her child is missing? I do not know if she did go out, but if she did that is awful. I am 44 years old and I wish God would have blessed me with a child but it is probably too late for me. My Grandmother had my mom when she was 45. I wished for a boy and a girl but never had them. I just can not understand people who hurt or kill their children. People I know who do not take care of their children disgust me. It does not seem fair for people that do not take care of their children to be able to have them, but it seems like it is the easiest for that type of person to bear children. I just do not understand. People need to count their blessings.

August 6, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  5. Alex

What a truly strange case! Never mind the soap opera of the mother for the time being, where is the little girl? It's extremely apparent to any prudent and responsible person that this story line is anything BUT normal. What seems to be missing here is nobody has said anything about father of the child. Could he be linked to this somehow? Sure seems like a good line to be investigating.

August 6, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  6. Kirstin

I think that Casey is just a big liar, who just abandons their own child? How could you do that? Cindy seems kinda suspicious, too, why wouldn't she report that Casey had been gone over a month? Somebody had to have seen her, she's obviously hiding something! Like my parents say, some people just aren't right in the head.

As for Obama, his healthcare plan almost put me to sleep, it's so boring.

And Paris Hilton for president is almost a good idea, but I still think that Lewic Black's('Lewis Black: Red, White, and Screwed' on Comedy Central) idea of our next president is simpler, I mean, it's basically a bunch of monkeys running the place, anyway.

I have been told that I am very opiniative, so don't take anything personally.

August 6, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  7. Becky Nelson

Where is Caylee's father?? Is he not concerned about his daughter? We keep hearing about Casey being a single mom – what's the story behind that? This story is so sad and I pray that it ends well with a safe return of Caylee to a loving family.

August 5, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  8. JC- Los Angeles

One has to be twenty-one to drink and sixteen or seventeen to drive a car yet anyone capable can give birth; it's a shame to see so many precious children like Caylee Anthony born to people who don't know the definition of the word parent.

As for the question "Why isn't Barack Obama doing better?" I would suggest he's doing great for having no experience whatsoever.

Obama's finances were a mess before book advances, a great real estate deal from Tony Rezko and a sweetheart loan; throw in no foreign policy experience, no military background and four short years in the Senate and I argue he's doing phenomenally well.

If Obama were a school teacher, he would not even be eligible for tenure; it's as if he's bypassing tenure and asking to be in charge of our nation's educational system; stunning; he's doing great.

With a couple new suits, a sly smile, a contrived stammer when trying to think of an appropriate retort and a headstrong wife who makes him look like Tony Dungy's meek little brother, I would say Barack is doing just fine; keep it up; anyone can beat McCain.

August 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  9. Paula from Georgia

It seems the mother here comes from a middle upper class neighborhood, in our neighborhood, I would have been charged the first day. Inless their daughter is a drug user. The only reason for this kid to be missing. ? I can't think of any reason for Caylee being gone. She brought a stranger home while out one day. Brought them home, and someything happen with the stranger. This seems to be the impression her parents and Casey is given out. The only other idea I can think of is Casey lost her temper and hit the kid accidentally and killed her. She doesn't want to admit it to her parents. Lets hope someone in her family finally realize that Caylee is the only person to be concern about. Just tell them where she is and let them go and get her. End of story.

August 5, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  10. Bill Coz

Truth being stranger than fiction, Casey may be working with the FBI behind the scenes. This all may be a show for whom ever may hurt Caylee.

August 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Sheri

She is innocent until proven guilty. She may be trying to protect her little girl.

August 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Lloyd Fruchtman

A plausible theory: The mother either sold or gave her child to a wealthy couple in central Florida. She and her family realized the mother is incapable of giving the child a decent life so they, as a family, decided to transfer the child to another family better equipped to provide a rewarding life. This is possibly why none of them seem to display any negative emotion about the "abduction"; because there wasn't one and they know where the child is. The transfer was done without mandated documentation and is therefore illegal, which is why no one in the family, or the new family is talking. They are afraid of the legal backlash.

The gas cans and shovel are for something else the mother did, or was planning to do, not related to the "abduction". The mother is a compulsive liar, probably experiencing disillusions.

August 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Byron

This child is dead and the family is trying to cut their losses and only loose the grandchild and not the grandchild & the child.

August 5, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Judi Smith

If Casey's mother Cindy wants everyone to find Cayle why in the world is there no police sketch of the baby sitter? Is sure would be easier to look for the child if we knew what the person who has she looks like. I believe it would be easier to spot an adult than a child.

August 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  15. CAROLYN JONES

MY mother instinct says poor little caylee is dead. left in the car while mother partyed. she did'nt give the child to a sitter, she had fun and came back to a dead child. and panicked.

August 5, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  16. Jo Anne Cummings

Does the exploitation of these children never end??? It just breaks my heart to read story after story about these worthless parents who don't deserve to be guardians of anyone!!!! There must be more information than madeleine's mother is giving up.....

August 5, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  17. Shannon

I think the only reason Obama is not farther ahead is the same reason that Reagan wasn't at this point, he is more unknown than McCain. As people learn more about him and see how well he performs against McCain he will leap out ahead in the 4th Inning. We have to remember this is a long race and the polls are only a snapshot.

August 5, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  18. Ron, Berkeley,Ca.

I say if you want information from Casey , just Waterboard her, she`ll talk then . The reason Obama is`nt doing better is becuase, he`s not got his not so secret weapon on the ticket...... HILLARY R. CLINTON

August 5, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  19. Larry

I'm still hoping that wee Madeleine McCann is found alive. Its sad to think that we quibble over awards, mock politicians, and yet forget about these young children who are most precious.

August 5, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  20. Larry

Re obama it is a daunting question; however, it may be necessary to ask 'why isn't John McCain doing worse?'

August 5, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  21. Annie Kate

What a beautiful little girl – I hope the mother did not kill her but from what it sounds like I'm afraid she might have. I have never understood how some people can hurt their children much less kill them.

On Obama I think his ego and his presumptuousness has turned off a lot of people. And he has definitely shown that he is like a politician just like all the others – he just doesn't have as much experience. I'll be interested in hearing what the pundits have to say on why Obama can't seem to get better polling numbers tonight.

Annie Kate