August 5th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: It’ll cost ya

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

I mentioned yesterday how I am strangely drawn to the story of Clark Rockefeller. Today’s details have me hooked for another day.

Rockefeller was flown from Baltimore to Boston today – fellow passengers say he had coffee, read The New York Times and seemed to enjoy the attention – where he was charged with felony parental kidnapping, assault and battery and assault and battery with a deadly weapon.

The prosecution isn’t so sure this guy is Clark Rockefeller, though his attorney, Stephen Hrones, says he never questioned his client’s identity. Why? Because he told Hornes his name was Clark Rockefeller.

Hornes describes his client as a clam, collective, good guy who loves his daughter “dearly”. He is confident Rockefeller will not be found guilty, saying he couldn’t have kidnapped his 7 year old daughter, Reigh, because he is her father. In his words, “It’s his own daughter. He had the right to take that gal.”

Suffolk County DA Dan Conley responded to that reasoning in court. “He was under an order issued by a judge in this court that he could not have physical custody of that child,” said Conley. “Just because he's Reigh's natural father doesn't absolve him of what he did to that child.”

As he learned of the official charges today, the Boston Globe reported Rockefeller’s fingerprints may link him to an unsolved murder in California. Hornes denies the claim, calling it “total garbage” and “completely untrue”. Two LA homicide detectives are on their way to Boston to interview Rockefeller about the 1994 cold case.

We’ll continue to follow any developments.

At least nine companies were hit by hackers who allegedly stole more than 40 million credit and debit card numbers. That’s comforting. Eleven people were indicted today – I can only hope no one else is lurking in the shadows, continuing the dirty work. I had my checking account hacked into once. It is scary, beyond upsetting and leaves you feeling more vulnerable than you can imagine.

Your time is valuable, especially at $4+ bucks a gallon, so the next time you’re stuck in construction traffic, maybe you should try to get some of that time and money back.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Mike in NYC

"Strangely drawn" to the Rockefeller story? "Hooked"? Good grief.

It was boring yesterday, it's still boring today.

Was there a directive from on high to “drive it hard”?

August 6, 2008 at 9:20 am |
  2. Gail E Duncan

Things that make you go hummmmm. Hackers are growing and we must take a closer look about protective measures on the internet. This article got me thinking about money, credit cards and the world we currently live in. Guess we should really start to value the things we have in the now like good health, peace of mind, and the basics if we have them. Many people don't. Maybe I'll cut my card into pieces.

August 6, 2008 at 6:19 am |
  3. Rachel McDonald

Erica
    Unfortunately, hackers are seemingly a few steps ahead of the rest of us using amazingly sophisticated methods and equipment to do their dirty work. It is, indeed, unsettling to have your bank account hacked into.
    My young son was understandably upset and robbed of his youthful trust of this wacky world we live in when he discovered that his e-mail address, basically his name, was stolen by hackers.
    He had proudly told me that he had chosen a password to protect his e-mail address and was certain no hacker could ever figure it out.
    That experience, unfortunately, changed a sweet, happy-go-lucky child, into a bit of a cynic and certainly a much more cautious kid. It broke my heart to see the change in him.
    These hackers, unfortunately, are almost impossible to apprehend and so their numbers grow as does the trail of devastation they leave behind.
    We love your sense of humor and your ability to make the ever so serious Anderson laugh – something he needs to do more of.
    Cheers,
    Rachel McDonald Wisconsin

August 6, 2008 at 3:52 am |
  4. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, sorry I'm responding late to your blog. On the Clark Rockefeller case, it seems that a new can of worms opens as each day passes. It will be interesting to see how this case ultimately turns out. Thanks for the update.

Identity theft stories are scary. So scary that whenever I hear of them, I think of the guy who created his own business that provides protection against identity theft (the guy who puts his own social security number on a truck) and ask myself, "Is it time to give him a call?"

I had to laugh when I saw the headline in Detroit News: "Driver Bills State for Sitting in Traffic." I wasn't surprised that she wasn't reimbursed, though. But I have to hand it to her; she was pretty creative.

Good night,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 6, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  5. JC- Los Angeles

Erica, yet another story of a seemingly intelligent, hard working, educated woman falling once again for a scum bag, low brow, crooked, conniving worthless guy; and I thought this was an LA thing.

Keep up the good work and keep looking out for us quality guys.

August 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  6. T. NELSON - Hopkins, Minnesota

3.87 a gallon for Super Premium. The Cadillac has developed a trunk full of gas cans...

How'd they get in there?!?!

Break out the Champagne and Crown Royal!

I remember when gas was under 1.97 a gallon...

August 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Avinash in NY, NY

Erica dearest,

You are absolutely amazing. I hope to see you on the Early Show again. I think you did a wonderful job 🙂

We would love to see you cover more stories than just 3 minute news bulletins. Bravo! Bravo!

As i always say: [i] No News is Good News Unless It's Erica Hill [/i]

Love the show. Keep up the good work 😉

August 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Genevieve M, TX

I won't have to bill the state for causing me to wait in construction traffic because no one who works on the TxDOT highway crew is crazy enough to be out on the interstates during the day. The craziest drivers are out during this time, so unless the road needs to be repaired ASAP for safety reasons, NO ONE will be outside! LOL!!

August 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Heather,CA,US

I read the lawyer for Rockefeller knew him socially before he hired him to defend him. So how does he pay his lawyer? Where does the money come from? Who's name is the bank account in or does he pay the guy in gold?

August 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Alexander

Erica, I see you posted another interesting news note. Let's see what takes place regarding this Clark Rockefeller. Hope to see ya more tonight.: )

August 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |