August 4th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/4/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen T

Love the banter between Erica and Anderson! Glad you're back Andy! Great show! Goodnight all!

August 4, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Janna

I understand that they have to bait the sharks to get them close. Studying them is important, but this is a slippery slope. Remember what happens when sharks relate humans with food!

August 4, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Uma in Liverpool UK

YIKES. Great holiday snaps, Anderson... 😛

August 4, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Jolene

Anderson: You don't look ridiculous in your wetsuit! It's a good thing the great whites don't go for white hair! Looks like you had fun.

Great show. Nite all.

August 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

If shark diving makes Anderson happy, then I'm ok with it.. this time.

August 4, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Francois Leconte

Hi Anderson, welcome back my friend. In regard to the VP, if Obama wants to win decisively in November, he must choose Hillary Clinton. there is not but to this. She is the only who energize the ticket. Obama/Clinton who can do better?

August 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I must admit, a dip in the big pool with sharks, would not be my cup of tea. Interesting footage. Anderson, maybe next time you could seek out some sweet little sea otters.

August 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Jacqui Chan

Miles you do make some good points but why know all of the sudden would these feet be popping up if from some natural disaster. We have been having natural disasters since the beginning of time first random feet I have heard of.

August 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Uma in Liverpool UK

@ Miles, in TX, good points!

August 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Jolene

The foot mystery seems stinky to me! Something tells me we will never solve that mystery.

August 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Michael

Spooky story but gives real meaning to the addage:
    "I felt sorry for the child that had no shoes,
    until I met a man that had no feet."

August 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Heather Spokane, WA

If this foot mystery was in fact the parts of the missing plane crash victims, why would they only be finding 5 right feet and one left foot?

August 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Sheree(ohio)

I think that it's the plane crash...with a copy cat taking advantage of the mystery

August 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Uma in Liverpool UK

Hang on, wasn't there another LEFT foot, which turned up in Canada a couple-three months ago? It was a hoax?

August 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. janet

RE: the feet. Are they looking into the way the current flows to that area?

August 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

A national DNA registry would help with this as well as numerous other crimes and missing persons.

August 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Brandi

@EJ haha! good one!

August 4, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  18. anderson cooper

actually, the shark diving was amazing... i really enjoyed it... i will blog about it tomorrow... but it was a remarkable experience.

August 4, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Gary

Anderson, seems like someone wasn't as lucky in the water with the sharks...only thing left " a foot".

August 4, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Miles, Texas

Why is this foot thing such a mystery? They're not severed Anderson, they're just not eaten....yet.

1) Feet in shoes are more buoyant and will travel around more, washing up on shores.

2) Feet in shoes are not as easily eaten by fish and biodegrade more slowly.

3) prevailing ocean currents are washing these feet up in BC and there is likely some prior catestrophic event that they are all linked to.

Let's no read too much into this.

August 4, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Christy NYC

Hey Anderson,

Liked the underwater shark scenes really great to watch!

Say what you like but Bill Clinton was probably the best president in the last 20 years. Lets leave him alone he was trying to protect his wife during the primary. What does Roland Martin know saying that HIllary will not be VP. I didnt realize the Mr Martin respresents the entire democratic party or is he working for Mr Obama? Hillary deserves the VP job. David Gergen maybe you can have a little discussion with Mr Martin about politics and he might change he mind. I say Hillary for VP

August 4, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Janna

Relieved that the young girl has been returned to her mother.
    ...is it just me or does Rockefeller's mugshot look like Michael Ware?

August 4, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  23. EJ (USA)

Well, just be glad this guy wasn't scheming as a Vanderbilt!

August 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Heather Spokane, WA

I am so glad that 'Rockefeller' was caught and that little girl is safe and back with her mom.

August 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Maureen T

That Rockefeller man is a nutcase!

August 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Cindy

I can't believe this Rockefeller guy! Who is he actually!? I can't believe his wife had no idea about him!

Cindy...Ga.

August 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Armando from Laredo, Texas

With all due respect to Ed Rollins, this race is unprecedented in many ways so it's probably NOT going to cool off during the Olympics. Both Candidates will find a way to tie-in to the Games, maybe something like synchronized smearing.

August 4, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

Well if Edouard doesn't get to be a massive hurricane, maybe it'll give southeast Texas the rain it needs without wrecking the whole Texas coast.

Thoughts and prayers out to Robert Novak.

I'm wishing Morgan Freeman all the best right now, thoughts and prayers out to him as well.

August 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Brandi

oh anderson!! you didnt enjoy the shark diving? you have no idea how lucky you are to travel the world and see and participate in so much.

August 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Hannah Storm

Anderson....everytime you go away your computer goes haywire.....your pic disappears.

Glad your back after your amazing adventure with the sharks........looks like your ready for the rest of the political season 😛

August 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Shanny

Oh the feet! I live in BC and its all very mysterious though police are trying hard to say its a natural decompostional process of people who died in many different ways.
    STILL, how can THAT many feet show up within such a short period of time when people have been dieing for ever and its never been a topic of discussion before?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm is there a Dexter-esque serial killer amongst us in the northwest? EEP!

August 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Peter Derouin

If Obama picks Hillary it is a sure win for McCain. I really beleive she cannot support him the way she would have to.

August 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Cindy

Anderson...we are glad you made it back also from those man eaters! LOL Was it as fun as it looked!?

Cindy...Ga.

August 4, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Peter Derouin

Morgan will be fine, I hear he was joking with people at the accident site. I to hope is well.

August 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Welcome back!
    Your political discussions have been fascinating. John McCain does, however, seem to spend too much time ridiculing Obama–and not being as substantial on the issues.

August 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Albert Lee

It makes sense to remove the tax credit for oil drilling. However, the government should give tax credit for generation of renewable energies, such as wind and solar. So, if the oil companies re-invest their profit in the generation of renewable energies, they do not need to pay the windfall profit as suggested by Senator Obama Barack and furthermore, they can continue to enjoy the tax credit for investing in generation of renewable energies. This in turn will create new jobs and stimulate the economy.
    To summarize, Senator Obama's energy policy should be transfer the tax credit from oil drilling to generation of renewable energies. This way both the corporations and normal citzens can benefit from the "new " energy policy.

August 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Sarah

I also agree that McCain is one dimensional. He needs to think outside the box.

August 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

I was so upset when I heard about Morgan Freeman today. I hope he makes a full recovery and is back acting in no time. He is an awesome actor.

August 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Hannah Storm

speedy recovery to both Morgan Freeman and Robert Novack

August 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  40. anderson cooper

Good evening...im having computer problems too.. but glad to be here... glad to be anywhere after diving with sharks.

August 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Nicholas

Hi Anderson & Erica,

I agree with David Gergen who by the way seems to know what he is talking about. I say Clinton for VP. Clinton got 18 million votes and has some really good policies I say Clinton for VP

August 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Maureen T

I hope Morgan Freeman is ok.

August 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Don, WA

"No Man is an Island" – That means the VP has importance – if you doubt that, look at Cheney. Mr. Roland Martin seems to have the "inside scoop" with the "certainty" that Clinton won't be the VP – I say there is too much "certainty" in this world. This was a good ticket from day one and it still is Let's not forget what the Clinton's did for this country. Too have that kind of experience and worldly knowledge would compliment Mr. Obama almost perfectly. Obama is supposed to be running to get the job done. He has the captivating power and the community leading street smarts to get both the attention and the issues on the table – but I believe he needs the political savy and issue knowledge of Clinton to win and to prosper as president – It's not just about HIM – Mr. Martin.

August 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Gary

Senator McCain has a comprehensive health care plan, a comprehensive energy program, will not increase taxes on retirees who are dependent upon their investment income, and has the judgement and experience to deal with foreign policy. I'd say that is comprehensive strategies.

August 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. carl

I agree with Shannon about McCain being one dimensional! That's not good leadership!

August 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  46. ericacnn

Hi, everyone – sorry I'm late to the party. My (dying) laptop was apparently not into the wireless connection tonight. I'm plugged in now, though, and ready to

Good to have AC back - it's not the same w/o him!

August 4, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

When Barack Obama is talking about John McCain being in the senate for 26 years not doing anything about energy independence, he's sensibly pressing an advantage, but McCain has made a commitment to offshore drilling, it's a strong position. Good point, too, by Jessica Yellen, McCain is having it both ways.

August 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Shannon

I have a feeling that McCain is going to hammer off shore drilling like he does the surge. He seems very one dimensional on any given issue. This is not a comprehensive strategy.

August 4, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Cindy

Obama has so little time in the senate that no one can actually see what he'd do on anything. He rarely votes!! Just does the present thing! He has no right to down McCain.

Cindy...Ga.

August 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Fortunately, Senator Obama opposes offshore drilling as well as nuclear power. Neither of these are solutions for the future nor are they solutions that will allow us to achieve energy dependency. They are nothing more than bandages on a bigger problem. We cannot leverage our children's futures to make ourselves happy now!

August 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |