August 1st, 2008

Reviving the Hillary Idea?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/01/art.clintonforobama.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees convention in San Francisco"]David Gergen
CNN Sr. Political Analyst
AC360° Contributor

By all accounts, Barack Obama has written off Hillary Clinton as a running mate, but after watching the politics of the past few days, it is increasingly clear that he should reconsider.

The major tests for a vice presidential choice are (a) whether the person is qualified to be president; and (b) your running mate will give you a better chance at victory. It is relevant but should not be decisive whether you happen to like the person. History suggests strongly that in 1960, John F. Kennedy did not much like Lyndon Johnson - and Bobby despised him - but Kennedy, locked in a close race, chose Johnson anyway. It was a wise call: LBJ delivered not only Texas but enough southern votes to put JFK over the top by a whisker.

Barack Obama has just come off a couple of the best weeks we have ever seen for a campaigner. What other candidate has walked so safely through the minefields of the Middle East and drawn over 200,000 people in Europe? Given the unpopularity of President Bush and the meandering campaign of John McCain, one would ordinarily expect that Obama would have opened up a lead of 10 points or so. Yet we see just the opposite happening: whatever small bounce he may have gotten overseas is evaporating. This week started with Obama up 9 points in the Gallup tracking poll; that lead has shrunk day by day so that this morning, they are tied at 44-44.

Hillary Clinton predicted early and often that the Republican attack machine would crank up against Obama. Now it has - and it may be working. It is increasingly clear that Obama needs some reinforcements on the battle field so that he doesn't have to carry the fight all by himself. Who is any better at fighting back than Hillary and Bill Clinton? She showed in the Democratic primaries just how tough and resilient she can be - and how well she can frame an argument. If they can patch up their differences, it is hard to imagine that Obama can find anyone who would be stronger at his side during the fall.

The conventional wisdom is that Hillary Clinton would be divisive on the ticket, driving away many voters. No doubt, she will drive away some, but the Obama campaign has to weigh how many others she would help to bring in. Yesterday, Lanny Davis - a long-time supporter of the Clintons - wrote an important article in the Wall Street Journal laying out the case for Hillary. He pointed to a recent Fox/Opinion Dynamics poll (taken July 22-23) showing that in a head-to-head, Obama held a narrow 1-point lead over McCain, 41-40. But when voters in the same sample were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton vs. McCain-Romney, the Democrats gained a net of 8 points, leading 48-39! The big difference was that running alone, Obama got 74% of the Democratic vote, but with Clinton on the ticket, he got 86% - a significant 12% increase. Historically, one of the first rules of a candidate is to unite his party behind him before heading into the fall. Are Democrats really united at this point?

As Lanny Davis argued, there is a strong case that Obama running with virtually any Democrat can indeed win. But there are increasing reasons to believe that with Hillary Clinton at his side, he could have an even stronger prospect. Time for a rethink in Chicago?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Jason

I have to agree with Mr. Gregen! Hillary Is and Has to be the VP Choice for Obama, Or he very well will lose this November to McCain. Can this world handle another 4 years of Bush? I Don't think so!

HILLARY! HILLARY!

August 2, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  2. Pope, Philly

When u read these blogs its amazing how stuipid and ignorant people are.... just amazing

voting for McCain is like putting a gun to your childrens head and pulling the trigger... .because they'll be in the sands of IRAN in 3 or 4 years dying for nothing,.

August 2, 2008 at 9:25 am |
  3. Paula Diane

I respect you David and your opinions. I just think it is too early to name anyone. I really, really, really dislike Clinton and don't trust her.. and it makes me sad to think a wonderful guy like Obama may lose because of her.. Right now she is off pouting and withholding her favors and I believe influencing this behind the scenes. She isn't for Barack..she isn't for anything but Hillary. She is one big disappointment and shame on her for letting her greed for power damage the party and the good of the people. I would pick Colon Powell as my running mate if I were Barack.. but that's my opinion.

August 2, 2008 at 9:14 am |
  4. Mike of Michigan

It really astounds me that there are so many people with the mindset:

"I consider myself a liberal, yet I won't vote for Obama... unless Hillary is his running mate. I'd rather put a conservative in office instead of someone who I can agree on some issues with, if not all. Nope, I'd rather put McCain in office, a politician who pretty much will not take the same stance I would on most, if not all, issues."

To me, that just shows ignorance, and voters who are not informed. It shows that this is just a popularity contest, which to me is jsut sad. I'm 20 years old. This is the first election I've been actively involved in, and I have supported Obama from day 1. I'm not opposed to an Obama/Hillary ticket. I think it would be a strong force against McCain/whoever.

But to be honest, I think Obama could do better. I would personally like to see an Obama/Edwards ticket, or Obama/Richardson. Hillary is a good politician. But I don't see her as a VP. I would love to see her included as a Cabinet member, no doubt, but as a VP, I'm iffy.

August 2, 2008 at 9:12 am |
  5. Wilma

Obama needs an ego check! His mighty ego is the gift that keeps giving..........to the McCain camp. Hillary called it a long, long time ago, & I don't think she is willing to sign on.

August 2, 2008 at 9:04 am |
  6. Jorge

I find it very amusing to watch the Obama supporters get their panties in a bunch as he slips in the poll.

August 2, 2008 at 8:56 am |
  7. Sean from Orlando

glenn August 1st, 2008 10:39 pm ET

Most peopel that claim they wont vote for Obama werent going to in the first place, so who are they fooling? You are left leaning but you vote for McCain? And if

You're wrong about that, most people I know here, you know, the ones who had their voice stolen from them by the DNC and Obama, have simply been waiting to see who Obama picks as VP to make their choice. I have said since Obama was hand selected by the DNC that I would vote for him if Clinton was on that ticket, and if not then I would probably vote for McCain. It is just a matter of waiting to see who he picks. Your post is nothing but assumption on your part.

August 2, 2008 at 8:56 am |
  8. Sean from Orlando

peter SF CA August 1st, 2008 10:27 pm ET

Puma voters are very selfish. they NEED to understand what a big mistake voting for Mccain is. He wants to keep us in Iraq for 100 years, and then use the money we save from fighting the war to lessen the deficit. that doesn’t make any sense, but neither does being a Puma.

OBAMA 08

Really, because McCain is considering an Iraq withdraw timetable now since it it what that country wants. I do not see how Obama and his fans have this as leverage now. It is Obama who has changed his tune on the Iraq war now saying things about the same as McCain, Obama now talks of how we cannot just leave, it has to be done right, ect. It is the same thing McCain says really now since Obama won, very different than before he won. I have seen nothing but Obama flop on all the key issues, support wire-tapping Bush policy, and variouos other actions since Obama won is making it very easy to want to choose McCain if Clinton is not on the ticket.

August 2, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  9. BUDA

Where were these Clintons when AlGore and Kerry lost?

August 2, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  10. Sean from Orlando

L.A.

Your mistake is in thinking that we would not be voting for what we think is the best interest for the country, if Obama were to pick Hillary I would vote for him because I do think that is not only what is best for the party, but for the country as well, and even then I will still have my doubts about Obama. For me I have more doubts about Obama than McCain. I also have strong doubts about Biden who is as old as McCain. The fact is I trust Hillary and I would vote for an Obama/Hillary ticket, and if not then I will vote for McCain. People can say what they want, but you over in L.A. your vote counted so you hardly have room to talk on this issue. That there are a lot of people that will vote for an Obama/Clinton ticket or vote McCain should tell you, Obama, and all his fans exactly what they need to know. Obama and McCain are now even just about. I have never taken a CNN poll, I have asked around here in FL and many other Dems for McCain have not either. So the polls to not fully reflect how many of us would count against him, but juist a little push McCains way is enough to make Obama loose. I would never vote for Biden either, if Obama picks Biden I am definatly voting for McCain. People have said on here that Clinton fans would stay home rather than vote if he picks Clinton or someone else, and that is not what I am hearing here from FL Dems at all. We all know we have the power to take our voice back from the DNC and Obama by simply voting for McCain, and yet if he were to pick Clinton a lot of us say we will vote for him.

August 2, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  11. Patricia Williams

I think the argument you make is accurate. ADDITIONALLY, I think he must choose Clinton because he does not have a MANDATE! The votes were basically split. He has more delegates because of the caucuses and superdelegates. She has more popular vote. Obama and his supporters needs to get over their arrogance. The party does not belong to them! The only way for unity is a UNITY ticket!

August 2, 2008 at 8:40 am |
  12. Ronda

Most of us don't want Hillary as VP and will vote against Obama with or without her. If we have to wait 4 years so be it. I'll vote for McCain
    before I vote for Obama. I've voted straight Dem. ticket for decades
    but with Obama's name on it. NOPE !!!! Not ever.

August 2, 2008 at 8:36 am |
  13. Lou

Get off it people...

Although I hope Obama wins the election (with or without Hillary), he is still going to have to navigate the system, the political system. He will still have to work with some pretty powerful senators on both sides of the aisle to get 'change' accomplished.

You Obama supporters who think he needs someone without DC experience are idiots. The American government is set up with a number of checks and balances to keep ANYONE from making too DRASTIC a change without cooperation from the representatives and senators as well.

Of course he needs someone who can navigate DC...

August 2, 2008 at 8:31 am |
  14. CBH

I am convinced that Sen Obama will do what is needed to win the white house. If picking Hillary Clinton is the way to go then so be it. But one thing everyone is forgetting all the talk about women being Hillary supporters and dragging down Obama when they get the chance is getting a little old. One thing to keep in mind that Hillary Clinton needs Obama supporters to win the white house has well. If the black community see that the Obama was pressured to chose Hillary Clinton has VP by (white voters), then that will not bode well for her when she tries to run for president in 2012 if Obama loses.

The PUMAs should understand that if they force the VP issue and Obama loses in November then Hillary would most likely lose in 2012 or any other time she runs for office. Clinton can not hope to win any major election without the African-American vote. I had plenty of respect for Hillary until this election cycle, her racist remarks and implying that only white blue collar folks are hard working really got under my skin. If she does not get out and help Obama then so be it. I will be glad when this whole election comes to a speedy end. The election itself has acted like a beacon that has shined a light on the on the major race problems that linger in this country.

August 2, 2008 at 8:23 am |
  15. johon

I Like obama, he will win, he is smarter politician,

August 2, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  16. Ammaganset

I think Hillary should concentrate on 2012. Obama is a leper and no thinking, mature, experienced, talented politician like Hillary would go near him. he will take the DNC and the Dems down with him. He never should have been a candidate or the newly coronated "presumptive nominee". If I was Hillary, I would turn Obama down in an instant if he offers a VP slot (which he can't do anyway until he is coronated in August!).

I will never vote for Obama, no matter who is his VP. He should drop out of the race and let the election return to the civility and reality of a contest between two experienced candidates with solid positions on issues, Hillary Clinton and McCain. Obama is a total fraud now and will always be a fraud.

The DNC backed Obama. they will reap what they have sown. After the way the DNC and Obama backers treated Hillary in the media (I don't leave them out either) and on the stump, the DNC has earned the disgrace it is in now. Women have seen how much the DNC and the Dems value women and their votes - NOT! We will take our revenge in November if not sooner.

August 2, 2008 at 7:54 am |
  17. AJ

It is very simple "YES WE CAN" with Hillary, Maybe "We Won't" Without Hillary. 18 Million folks can't be wrong or ignored

August 2, 2008 at 7:43 am |
  18. markp-ohio

Please advise what makes Barack Obama arrogant and elitist? Please be specific and thought provoking in your response, as well as provide examples. This is not a trick question, rather, if we are going to label him, then let's be clear and specific. Please enlighten us who are still undecided, but provide facts.

August 2, 2008 at 7:37 am |
  19. Campbell in Canada

As usual David Gergen is right. And I don't like the Clintons. After announcing Clinton has his running mate Obama should announce Gergen as a senior strategist.

August 2, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  20. Teo Mry

I think David Gergen is writing this not because he really thinks that Hillary could help Obama. Instead he is trying to confuse the Hillarites and continue their resentment towards Obama and to ease Mc Pain the win since he is a staunch neocon and attends New World Order parties. It is a sad day to think that 8 years of Bush driving our country bankrupt and handing our sons, their sons and so on a debt for generations to come as well as the destruction of our constitution and the complete disregard for any semblance of truth and responsibility, that there could possibly be 21% of people who actually approve of Bush and much less McPain. My God, if anyone pays close attention, think about why there have not been ANY real debates between the two? McPain can't even remember what he said ten minutes ago, much less a couple days ago. It's possible that he is lying, but, more realistically......he is just senile and his cronies are protecting him and so is the media. Pathetic that my democratic party has absolutely NO guts to pounce on all that I have mentioned, if they lose after all this....they will Never deserve the White House again!!!!

August 2, 2008 at 7:30 am |
  21. Melville

Obama is for change. No more old folks in Washington. There can be no change with Hillary. We'll be back to the same old ways

August 2, 2008 at 7:28 am |
  22. Rick from Pa

What is wrong with the Americans? Why can't Americans and the media investigate all of Obama's stories and relationships? The media should be making an issue about them. Obama is applying for the most challenging job in the "world".

Thank God McCain has the courage to stand up for Americans with his ads.

Just one of many issues surrounding Obama is enough for me and my community.

Obama has minimal government experience, an anti American Pastor as a mentor, many co workers that are radical leaders, a non practicing Muslim father and an Atheist as a mother. Obama is a fast talker, flip flopper and an empty suit running for President: The media and the authorities should be investigating this man.

Just knowing that Louis Farrakhan, anti Semitic, radical, Nation of Islam leader supports Obama should be enough to make our hair stand up on end.
    Watch Louis Farrakhan and his followers:

Farrakhan held a rally with 20,000 Islam members in Chicago just a few months ago.

Many questions need answering. One might be: If Obama's father was a non practicing Muslim, how do the international Muslim nations view Obama?

Why shouldn't that be a proper question to ask Obama? Obama is running for President, not American idol. I would ask the same of McCain.

Obama is risky and scary. The media should be investigating Obama’s relationships with radical leaders and anti American supporters as much as they should be reporting about a nominee that was being supported by the KKK.

August 2, 2008 at 7:21 am |
  23. Rick from Pa

Obama has to be big to do this, I don't think he has the courage to accept the fact that he can't win without the Clintons.

August 2, 2008 at 7:19 am |
  24. Al from NJ

Obama is not the winner of the primary, Clinton is.

Can't the American public see that he cheated with not seating Florida and Michigan.

He also wasn't vetted in the earlier states. The first few states didn't know about Reverend Wright, Louis Farrakhan and William Ayers.

I really don't think that Clinton should be on the ticket.
    Obama's self love wouldn't allow it.

Obama's own narcissistic attitude has destroyed his candidacy.

Obama can not win without the Clintons, but can't win with them at this point. He should have selected her months ago.

Too late, Obama.

August 2, 2008 at 7:16 am |
  25. Jonnie

Lets all admit the country is not ready to elect someone who is not a white man. Were Mr. O a white man, we won't even be talking about this. It is the huge elephant in the room. Our unwillingness as a nation to come to terms with this is what is making a damn excellent candidate look like there's something wrong with him – yeah, the color of skin. It seems to me even a dead white guy can beat Mr. O.

August 2, 2008 at 6:51 am |
  26. Mac

It is noticeable how many people here are saying that w/o Clinton on the ticket, they will vote for McCain.

But Obama is far closer to Clinton in all his views than McCain.

McCain would continue much of the Bush policies that have been so destructive of human life and our economy and environment.

We have had eight years of this, do we really want another Republican president?

Perhaps Obama will pick Clinton as VP. But she has vowed to support him as of June.

August 2, 2008 at 6:40 am |
  27. dw314

I am a HRC delegate who is being wooed by the O campaign. They are very organized but don't understand their is sinking. They aren't arrogant, I actually am impressed by them. However, they actually BELIEVE in O and use cultlike laguage when they speak of him, it's weird. i feel like when I was a kid and I was fascinated by Hare Krishnas at the airport but totally frightened/perplexed by them and their beliefs.

There really is only one choice.....

Hillary '12

August 2, 2008 at 6:39 am |
  28. Tamara

HILLARY is the Answer. I am a black woman and I have been a very strong supporter of Clinton. Believe it or not that has not changed. If the DNC after the annointing that they pulled really want to unite the party they must make the choice for Hillary. Why not? I do not believe Obama will win without her. The Republicans have just gotten started and you see the way the tide is turning against Obama.

Put Hillary on the ticket and we take Pennsy, Ohio, Florida we need those states. Wake up Democratic Party you have a lot of making up to do. We need the WOMAN vote to win.

August 2, 2008 at 6:34 am |
  29. heidi

We as Americans have a God given right to make choices. We have have a right to fight and we have a right to change our minds.

Quite frankly, I think an Obama/Clinton ticket just may work. Do not rule Obama out .. let's face it he is the first African American with a 50% chance of winning the white house... he must not be THAT studpid. To have millions of people supporting him....along with foreign leaders...HE MUST NOT BE THAT STUPID.. My guess is that people can not stand the fact that the man is smart and intelligent. Heck he gave advice for Iraq and guess who is following them... Anyway Obama/Clinton 09 may just seal the deal.

Democrats...Let's just change Washington...

August 2, 2008 at 6:16 am |
  30. Anthony Las Vegas, NV

I am a devout Hillary supporter. I think it is pretty ironic that the candidate in the democratic primary with the least amount of votes would be nominated, so I will support Sen. McCain in the fall. I do not trust Obama and I will not vote for him just because Hillary Clinton says I should. That said, if Hillary is put on the ticket, I will reconsider and possibly vote Obama. I know that the democrats can not and will not win if Hillary is not on the democratic ticket. So Obama you had better pick Hillary soon otherwise this Clinton supporter is going for John McCain!

August 2, 2008 at 6:03 am |
  31. Doris,Memphis TN

David Gergen stated a month ago that Barack Obama would need a
    FOOD TASTER if he selected Hillary Clinton for his running mate.
    What a change of heart or should I say FLIP FLOPPER. Barack pick
    JOE BIDEN.

August 2, 2008 at 5:49 am |
  32. hugh n.y.

it amazes me to hear/read so many "democrats" saying that they will vote for mccain or not vote at all unless obama chooses clinton as vp. i now know how this country was dumb enough to elect bush to two terms. i see how these ridiculous attack ads by mccain work so well. you know, i hope these jerks get exactly what they want.

August 2, 2008 at 5:28 am |
  33. Bobby

hillary would be in a bad situation now if she got elected because alot of African Americans and youth voter wouldn't be voting in polls or come election for her if she stole the election mccain would be winning by atlest 5 points matter of fact she wouldnt even be holding a senate seat know if it wasnt for Bill Clintion bringing out the African American vote and youth vote here in new york to vote for her

August 2, 2008 at 5:22 am |
  34. PC

There is no perfect VP choice for Obama, or for that matter, McCain. The Obama campaign seems to have lost it's discipline and its message. Hillary might help the Obama campaign get back on the right track. McCain, for all of his misteps and divisive tactics, has succeeded in framing the debate in this election. Instead of being even or slightly ahead, Obama should have had a solid lead by now.

On an related note, PUMA's seem to fall into three categories: 1) disgruntled Democrats who believe that Hillary should be the Democratic nominee at all costs; 2) Democrats who want Hillary to be Obama's pick for VP and 3) Ringers for the Republican Party who would love to see the Democratic Party tear itself up from within. I hope that members of the first two groups realize that Obama and Clinton's positions are remarkably close to each other. As for the third group, their divisiveness and dishonesty is emblematic of what's wrong with politics today.

August 2, 2008 at 5:01 am |
  35. Aaron

It's great to hear this arguement in the forefront again. I am unfortunately hooked on politics and have watched every debate and discussion possible. The media and all it's politcal pundits have perpetuated this anti-Hillary idea from the start and I believe they destroyed her chances of becoming the democratic nominee.

Obama is not making the gains he needs. Why is that? He lacks the experience, lacks the connection with the working class and women and may have to face the inevitable race issue which middle America may still be struggling with. I personally hate the latter, but it may be the reality.

With Hillary at his side, the ticket becomes solid. 18 million additional voters at his side and a running mate who can strike back at the Repulican hate machine we have seen getting revved up this last week.

Obama, you have my vote simply on the premise that another 4 years of a Republican administration will force me to move to Canada. But please think about those votes you don't have, the experience you need and the indomitable fighting spirit and energy Hillary can give you and America.

August 2, 2008 at 4:45 am |
  36. Dee

Obama's numbers keep dropping by the hour. The only way he has a chance to win is with Hillary. The GOP is going to make mince meat out of him. It's working for them already. You've got to figure, things are not looking good for Obama... in the "Year of the Dems" he should be 10-20 points ahead at this point, yet he's dropping. If he wants to win this thing, he'd better put his arrogance aside and BEG her to join him or it's going to be President McCain for sure. When is the DNC going to figure out that the majority of Americans are middle of the road? Most see Obama as the elite, left wing radical that he is and will cross party lines to vote for McCain, seen as the more moderate of the two.

I personally would rather Hillary wait till 2012, but if she's on the ticket, I "may" reconsider and vote for HER as VP and try to overlook "The Chosen One." I personally think she is too good for Baracula.

Hopefully, the Super Delegates will come to their senses at the convention and put her where she deserves to be – on TOP of the ticket.

August 2, 2008 at 4:32 am |
  37. Chris, Las Vegas,NV

Bottom line. The Obama campaign knows with Hillary Clinton its a sure bet to the whitehouse. THe only thing stoping them is that they don't like her.
    And thats fine its not like we liked them either.
    But to rule her out like that is not smart at all.

August 2, 2008 at 4:19 am |
  38. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

I am a Hillary supporter, and a Democrat.

I have never missed a vote, and will be voting this time too.

However, I cannot vote for Obama because he is too arrogant and unqualified. I cannot vote for McCain because he is too arrogant, too old, and he won't end the war in Iraq.

I am voting for Hillary. If she happens to be on the ticket with Obama fine, but if not I am still voting for Hillary!

August 2, 2008 at 4:16 am |
  39. Jon

It's amazing the number of you claiming to be democrats who will now vote for McCain because Obama beat Hillary. So, it's not about what you believe is best for the nation (almost nothing seperates Hillary and Obama policy wise) it's about your own personal pettiness? No wonder so many in this world think we are too dumb to have the freedom and power that we do as a nation. If Obama doesn't win this election than they will be correct.

August 2, 2008 at 4:15 am |
  40. Cache

I am glad to see so many Hillary supporters still. I thought that all of you had switched over to the dark side (star wars reference, not a race joke). I will not vote for Obama whether he picks Hillary as VP or not. He stole the race from her. He is inexperienced, arrogant, and self righteous to the point of disgust. I can't wait to see him fall flat on his face and I know Hillary and Bill will have the wisdom to keep him at arm's length.

August 2, 2008 at 4:00 am |
  41. lu

This country will go down if Obama is the president. He is just too green to handle the complicated issues we are facing now. I still believe Hillary should be on the top of the ticket; otherwise, I will vote for McCain.

August 2, 2008 at 3:59 am |
  42. Jeff Wofford

Forget Hilary!! Obama needs Colin Powell for VP.

August 2, 2008 at 3:49 am |
  43. Ray

Democrats can't united their own party and they pretend they want to united this country? They only care about them self and put the interest of the people second. I've always vote democrats, but this time I just can't see them trying to run this country. The guys has never manage a single employee or business in his life and wants to run the biggest country in the world! And on top of that he looks down on Hilary experience and wisdom. Shameful. They are not getting my vote this time. Sorry.

August 2, 2008 at 3:32 am |
  44. Ndalio

I'm a very strong Obama supporter, but i believe Hillary deserves the second spot. She's stronger than every other veep candidate.
    She knows how to bounce back. She and Bill will help us get the white(which this Bush Idiot has soiled) house back.

My question here is: Does Hillary want the Veep spot on the ticket. Hey we quarrel sometimes and make- up late. The primaries were just a little quarrel in the democratic party. Obama/Clinton wake up! Forget the primaries.... it's hostory

Obama / Clinton 08 / 12

God Bless America

August 2, 2008 at 3:29 am |
  45. Ahad

It appears to be almost a no brainer that Hillary is going to play a vital factor in Obama's bid for the presidency. The amount of democrats that she will bring to the joing ticket will by far pass the number of democrats that she will lose. Out of all the individuals Obama's team is considering for the VP spot, shes the most qualified, yet the one that is least mentioned. It seems as if everyone has forgotten that this woman earned roughly 19 million votes, yet she is still not considered as the first choice for the ticket, its absolutely unbelievable.

August 2, 2008 at 3:24 am |
  46. GAIL Centre,Al;

Big Daddy,
    I'm one of those 18 million voters, I'll vote for MCcain. I'll never vote for OBAMA, HE SCARES ME TO DEATH.

August 2, 2008 at 3:20 am |
  47. Dave S

In the past I was never a Hillary supporter....until after the North Carolina primary when the presumptive nominee was all but determined. Her campaign style totally changed and I began to like what I heard.
    I never believed that she should be the VP pick due to the baggage that Bill carried, inparticularly the paid speeches that he makes for a hefty sum...and that if this continued how could he not speak on President Obama's administration.
    I, however, have begun to detest what I am seeing out of the McCain camp and the total hypocrit he has become. I am determined to now vote for Obama, but I truly believe that as in years past the Republican machine with the negative campaigning is going to rollover and smash Obama unless Hillary is on the ticket..
    Obama desperately needs Hillary and Bill at this time and to insure a Democratic win must seek her for his VP candidate.

August 2, 2008 at 3:19 am |
  48. GAIL Centre,Al;

Obama doesn't have a chance, without Hillary on the ticket. those 18 million voters are going to split, most for John MCcain. Obama can't carry the southern states, PA, OH. W.V. OR FL. If the democrates wants the whitewhouse,Obama will have to take Hillary with him. I hope she doesn't run with him, and waits for 2012. that will show the DNC. how stupid they were for throwing her under the bus. Hillary would have beat John MCcain hands down. Maybe she'll be nominated at the convention, because they know dems are not united. All roads to the whitehouse leds to the CLINTONS.

August 2, 2008 at 3:10 am |
  49. debbie

Even Hillary can't save Obama from his political stance or the policy making that could ensue if he actually got elected President – fact is he's starting to grate on the nerves of the American public and there are a bunch of us that don't like it.

Let's face it, Obama is NOT "the one" for this country, not this time or even the next.

August 2, 2008 at 2:25 am |
  50. nicholas, massachusetts

Hillary supporters who plan to defect to the McCain camp if Obama doesn't pick her for his running mate are kidding themselves if they say it's because Obama lacks "experience." They're just so mad that she lost the nomination, that they'll do anything to defeat the candidate who had the nerve to ruin her pipe dream. McCain has almost nothing in common with Democrats or their values. If die-hard Hillary supporters all wish to cut off their noses to spite their faces in this election, that's fine with me. I just don't want to hear any of them complaining when John McCain sends this country into an even steeper nose dive than the one it's in right now. A wise man once said, "the people get the kind government they deserve."

August 2, 2008 at 2:19 am |