August 1st, 2008

Reviving the Hillary Idea?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/01/art.clintonforobama.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees convention in San Francisco"]David Gergen
CNN Sr. Political Analyst
AC360° Contributor

By all accounts, Barack Obama has written off Hillary Clinton as a running mate, but after watching the politics of the past few days, it is increasingly clear that he should reconsider.

The major tests for a vice presidential choice are (a) whether the person is qualified to be president; and (b) your running mate will give you a better chance at victory. It is relevant but should not be decisive whether you happen to like the person. History suggests strongly that in 1960, John F. Kennedy did not much like Lyndon Johnson - and Bobby despised him - but Kennedy, locked in a close race, chose Johnson anyway. It was a wise call: LBJ delivered not only Texas but enough southern votes to put JFK over the top by a whisker.

Barack Obama has just come off a couple of the best weeks we have ever seen for a campaigner. What other candidate has walked so safely through the minefields of the Middle East and drawn over 200,000 people in Europe? Given the unpopularity of President Bush and the meandering campaign of John McCain, one would ordinarily expect that Obama would have opened up a lead of 10 points or so. Yet we see just the opposite happening: whatever small bounce he may have gotten overseas is evaporating. This week started with Obama up 9 points in the Gallup tracking poll; that lead has shrunk day by day so that this morning, they are tied at 44-44.

Hillary Clinton predicted early and often that the Republican attack machine would crank up against Obama. Now it has - and it may be working. It is increasingly clear that Obama needs some reinforcements on the battle field so that he doesn't have to carry the fight all by himself. Who is any better at fighting back than Hillary and Bill Clinton? She showed in the Democratic primaries just how tough and resilient she can be - and how well she can frame an argument. If they can patch up their differences, it is hard to imagine that Obama can find anyone who would be stronger at his side during the fall.

The conventional wisdom is that Hillary Clinton would be divisive on the ticket, driving away many voters. No doubt, she will drive away some, but the Obama campaign has to weigh how many others she would help to bring in. Yesterday, Lanny Davis - a long-time supporter of the Clintons - wrote an important article in the Wall Street Journal laying out the case for Hillary. He pointed to a recent Fox/Opinion Dynamics poll (taken July 22-23) showing that in a head-to-head, Obama held a narrow 1-point lead over McCain, 41-40. But when voters in the same sample were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton vs. McCain-Romney, the Democrats gained a net of 8 points, leading 48-39! The big difference was that running alone, Obama got 74% of the Democratic vote, but with Clinton on the ticket, he got 86% - a significant 12% increase. Historically, one of the first rules of a candidate is to unite his party behind him before heading into the fall. Are Democrats really united at this point?

As Lanny Davis argued, there is a strong case that Obama running with virtually any Democrat can indeed win. But there are increasing reasons to believe that with Hillary Clinton at his side, he could have an even stronger prospect. Time for a rethink in Chicago?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. junior

Linda, how well do you know Hilary? My dear, be smarter than the rest

August 2, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  2. sffrank

As I have said ad nauseum on more than one blog...Obama can not win without Clinton on the ticket. Thank you for David Gergen to finally shed some light on what is the obvious choice. Obama has proven himself to be an arrogant candidate. More entertainer than nominee. Although, I still will vote for him if only that I can not vote for McCain. Obama has changed his position on everything from the timetable for withdrawing the troops to offshore oil drilling. It is quite disappointing to many of his supporters that he is not a new type of politician but more of the same. Choosing Hillary would revive his campaign and insure victory. It is time for Obama to admit that he needs her and realize how much she will bring to his candidacy.

August 2, 2008 at 2:09 am |
  3. Raman Chopra

David Gergen always make sense. His comments are always WISE.

August 2, 2008 at 2:02 am |
  4. alex

I do agree that if Obama was to put hillary as VP, Obama would kill Mccain in the polls!

Obama, Hillary 08'!!!

August 2, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  5. Denny in KC

After doing some quick checking, I noticed that Mr. Gergen used the only poll in which Obama is tied to make his case. Every other poll but the Gallup one has Obama ahead. The argument that he needs her to win is a weak one.

August 2, 2008 at 1:51 am |
  6. hd

I think in all honesty, we need Hillary in a more powerful role: the Supreme Court. She would truly be a great counterpoint to the right-leaning bench with alot of new attacks on Roe v. Wade, etc.

August 2, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  7. Lin from Orange County, CA

I believe Hillary will be on the ticket. Obama wants to surprise us.

August 2, 2008 at 1:43 am |
  8. Jason

I am for Hillary since the beginning! She will be the best President if ever but asking her to join the ticket just for Obama to win is not my intention to vote this coming election.

I will watch on tv but will never vote for someone so arrogant and acts like a celebrity!

August 2, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  9. tex805

Two items that make it a NO-brainer:

1. Bill Clinton
    2. Lots of baggage

August 2, 2008 at 1:32 am |
  10. James

If you are a democrat then you have no business voting for McCain. Yes Hillary has been treated poorly by the media and the DNC. Yes it was a somewhat bitter ending. But if you can't see that Obama shares 95% of Clinton's policies or you are willing to sacrifice another 4 years to a big oil warmongering economy tanking republican, then you are a disgrace to this country. More so than the ignorant masses who put us in this mess in the first place by voting for Bush.

August 2, 2008 at 1:31 am |
  11. Kevin

McCain will win. We will survive - we've made it thru 8 years of Bush. Hillary will be back in 2012 to say "remember 2008? I-told-you-so."

August 2, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  12. Gina in Chicago

Let it go already! Let's not even get into the fact that the polls have never been right this whole election (remember, these are the same pollsters that said Hillary was "inevitable"). And I'm sure I don't have to remind you about Lewinsky, Whitewater, Travelgate and all the other low points of the Clinton years because the McCain campaign would remind us all of these facts in political ads every hour of every day until the election.

Obama is soaring high on his own, both here and abroad, with no help from Bill, Hillary or anybody. The last thing he needs is Hillary Clinton and all her baggage complicating his life. Adding a Clinton to the ticket would be the answer to McCain's prayers. In fact, the Clintons are the only thing that can save McCain. In no time flat, they would galvanize the republican base into hyper-vote mode to make sure these people NEVER see the inside of the White House again.

If Obama were running against Romney, maybe he'd have some competition. But old man McCain is flailing about from one gaffe to the next like a fish desperately searching for some water. Going this negative this early in the campaign betrays his total terror and desperation. Notice, he doesn't even talk issues anymore. He gets PLENTY of media attention, but he wastes the bulk of his airtime hating on Obama. And these Czechoslovakia-style gaffes are raising serious questions about his mental fitness to run. So please think before you vote for this guy. We've already had eight years of a president suffering form dementia. Do we really need another?

August 2, 2008 at 1:29 am |
  13. Lucy S

This very idea is outrageous!!! Hillary wasn't good enough for the democratic party as a presidential candidate, but now they need her to fix things for Obama? good grief.. Why should Hillary get the leftovers? Hillary should be the democratic presidential candidate and they can fix this at the convention. If they choose to proceed with Obama as candidate, then they will be responsible for John McCain becoming our new president.

Hillary for President – not VP – or my vote goes to McCain!

August 2, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  14. Michael

Obama needs to pick Hillary so that he can unite the Democratic party. Even on this blog, we can see that Hillary's supporters are alive and thriving. I prefer Hillary over Obama, but going into the fall, Obama needs to pick Hillary as VP so that he doesn't alienate the people who are strong Hillary supporters, including myself. She has proven that she can win almost just as many votes as Obama, doesn't that mean she is popular and proves that she is a great asset to the Democratic party? If he doesn't pick her, I'll be a bit apprehensive about voting for him in the fall.

Oh yeah, what would make me even more furious if he picks John Edwards as VP. I am still furious that he endorsed Hillary even though he and Hillary have more in common. I detest him.

Obama/Clinton 2008 – the only team that I'll 100% vote for

Michael – Seattle, WA

August 2, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  15. Mick

Glenn nailed it, the national poll means nothing because the last I looked Obama is leading in enough states to give him about 313 electoral votes.

Hey Gergen, maybe the next time the question "why isn't Obama leading by more" is brought up, can you or someone on the panel talk about the pink elephant that's in the room? Because if you don't it really makes it hard to focus on what you folks are saying. More importantly it's a reporters/analysts job to discuss all possibilities, not just the ones that are socially polite.

Good thing about these comment sections is you really get an idea of just how bitter and angry people are. In some cases so much so that they border on insanity. Comforting to know I'm not the only one.

August 2, 2008 at 1:18 am |
  16. stephanie

The only way OBAMA will have a solid chance to win in November is with Hillary on the ticket..and 18 million guaranteed supporters behind her. Each person on his "short list",Bayh, Biden, Caine...does not have the national support, gravitas, or appeal as Hillary. Obama needs Hillary whether he or his entourage want to believe it. The GOP attacks will only get meaner, more vicious, and Obama does not have the skill and political polish to handle it with out a veteran politico. He could talk about being an outsider and changing Washington, but he needs the experience and expertise of an insider – who came damn close to winning the national primary – to carry him thru what will be a grueling campaign. WE CANT AFFORD TO LOSE. OBAMA MUST PUT HILLARY ON THE TICKET...DONT ALIENATE CLINTON OR HER SUPPORTERS.

August 2, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  17. JoanT

Imagine... a smart, confident black man. Has to be arrognace (read: uppity black who doesn't know his place).
    Imagine... Republicans argue he has no experience. Yet, they voted for George W. Bush TWICE! At least this current inexperienced candidate is smart.
    Imagine... Hillary supporters are angry she LOST the primary election and will now vote for McCain. So much for Hillary's stance on the issues and progressive principles. Maybe Obama should don a blonde wig and wear a pink pantsuit.

Tossing aside all the small-minded garbage, and for the record, I do think Hillary deserves the VP slot. She is skilled, smart, capable, and she earned it with 18 million Democratic Party voters.

August 2, 2008 at 1:10 am |
  18. ELIZABETH

I am not an American, but a true supporter or the Clintons - Finally, reading all these articles I realized that you all, and the media as well is waking up - what a real mistake you all made with help of Oprah's the media went crazy, the DNC became unfair, votes were dismissed in Florida and Michigan - I real dream ticket - the Clinton's were made fun of - shame and late - I hope the Clinton's will have a chance to make the American dream real for all of you in 2012.

August 2, 2008 at 1:09 am |
  19. James

Good topic:

I would also say that there are some good blogs as well. Ok I know some say Obama/Hillary is a landslide, but for a guy who is running a campaign based on "CHANGE" how is Clinton helping that case?
    Being a conservative I am not happy with any of the options from either party. But I have to say go Hillary for 2012. (Not that I would vote for her then) But she wants to be president, not VP! Sure she says on occassion, support Obama, but we all know she isn't really giving 100% of support, nor is Bill. She can't run for office in 2012 if Obama wins. I wouldn't be surprised if she is helping McCain's campaign with dirt on Obama. Personally the whole thing with Obamas previous preacher and all that hype I believe came from her party.
    Now as for the ads in regards to comparing Obama to celebrities, what is wrong with that? How is that dirty? Having an opinion the last time I checked, was still legal in this country. I would say no one is being nasty (at least not yet) in regards to campaigning. I honestly believe some dirt will come out on Obama as it gets closer. Things that no one knew about, because no one really knows him now. I understand that some people will vote for whatever is on the ballot and that is a shame. People might want to ask themselves what is this guy really about?
    Should be exciting come November, I only hope that people really understand the real power is with the House and Senate. The same group who wants to impeach the currently president and bash is ratings. (LOL) They might want to get a reality check on their own ratings. Silly congress, enjoy your vacation you deserve it!!!!! You have worked oh so very hard. That is what Obama is in my eyes, a Nancy Pelosi running on promises he isnt going to keep. Look at what Nancy promised when she won and look at what she has done thus far. NOTHING! You get what you derserve people!

August 2, 2008 at 1:01 am |
  20. sfsj

I just said this same thing today. I was not a HRC fan, but starting with the Unity rally, I started remembering things I like about her before the campaign. And although she did not pick a good team to run her campaign and did seem the most control of it, I think she learned from her mistakes. And putting those particular mistakes aside, she is a fighter for the rights of women, minorities, working class folks, middle class folks, and a true blue Democrat. She also received the support of 1/2 the Dem party (or almost). I am now one of those in the camp that she should be the VP. As for all the other great possibilities - there's a big cabinet to fill and I see a lot of wonderfully amazing, hard working, fed up, energized, smart and experienced folks who will create a wonderful support team!

August 2, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  21. PFT

david gergen should be a presidential adviser again to the next elected one

August 2, 2008 at 12:54 am |
  22. bee s

i dont really get HRC supporters. you must be living in a different economy to vote for JM. snap out of your bitterness and move on. mc cain is nothing but mc trouble. think.

August 2, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  23. Irene

>>>I will feel proud voting for Obama, win or lose, knowing that I am voting for a hope that transcends daily political life in Washington. I am voting for an ideal that politics won’t be controlled by corporate intestests and for someone who truly believes he is representing me.<<<

I'm sorry. This is laughable. The man is a POLITICIAN. He will DO anything, SAY anything, PROMISE anything to get elected. He's already broken his word on campaign finance, flip flopped on FISA, offered to meet with James Dobson so he can suck up to the religious right, made it clear he has viewpoints on abortion that are tighter than Roe V. Wade... Need I go on? He's nothing but a politician coming out of the extremely dirty Chicago political tradition.

I'm a moderate Republican who was looking forward to voting for Hilary. Now I'm thinking McCain won't be too bad because the Congress looks to be going overwhelmingly Democrat this time around and hopefully they'll grow a set (unlike the current congress) and enforce some of those checks and balances they're supposed to have.

In other words, I think gridlock will be better than Obama. How sad is it that I really don't want Hilary on the ticket because then I'd be torn about voting for Obama's inexperience, ambiguity and mediocrity.

August 2, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  24. ZF

Hillary will not be on the ticket. She does not need to, nor should she as patience will pay off. The DNC is to blame for all this BS. Obama talks change but we and the media relate this to nostalgia and the utopian idea of JFK's Camelot. More of that has turned to myth and fiction than truth. HRC may have been hell bent on winning, but this is politics and guerilla warfare is fair and set piece battles are for the weak. McCain knows this, HRC knows this, and so do the rest of the politicos around the world, but Obama is going to win it like a perfect gentleman? Uhm.... yeah, right.

In the end, Obama is a good guy with good intention but will not win. He will come close though, but no cigar unless he visits troops in Gitmo soon.

August 2, 2008 at 12:50 am |
  25. artman

It's sad to see so many people have negative opinions about senator's Obama, and Clinton. They would make a great ticket, and heal the party's divide. For those that will vote for senator Mccain... I guestion you're motives, and I think a lot or your decisions are based upon Senators Obama's race. I'm still trying to understand how you call someone with confidence as arrogant. As a Barack Obama supporter had he lost in the primaries I would have fully supported senator Clinton, but I must say it's very intresting how you come up with so many excuses not to support senator Obama... What's the real problem becuase you can't be a true Hillary Clinton supporter and vote for John McCain. The truth is from a black perspective had Obama been white non of this would have been a issue. How do we have the audacity to really judge those we don't know.

August 2, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  26. JAD

Many of the comments published here demonstrate the fundamental problem with an Obama/Clinton ticket. She is not only despised by the GOP and would energize them and give them the opportunity to dredge up every old accusation made against the Clintons, but she's become despised by a significant percentage of Democrats for the campaign she waged against Obama. Obama/Clinton would devolve into a intra-party melee, not a unity ticket, leaving the GOP to just stoke the flames and gleefully watch the Dems eat their own. Republican voters are not energized by McCain, but a Clinton on the Dem ticket would flip a switch for many GOP voters who might otherwise sit this election out.

The primary season is over and Obama won. Now let's work together to get him elected and trust that Hillary will have a significant role to play in the rebuilding of our country, be it in the Senate, the Cabinet, or on the Supreme Court. She'd be wasted as V.P., if they managed to get elected. Why waste an enormous talent on a powerless job?

August 2, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  27. Tom Garasky

Having been raised in an Ohio steel town, and now an Independent from Missouri, I will vote for Barack without Hillary. Last night I joined 500+ Obama supporters, young, old, male, female, white, african american, ... and opened the St.Louis County Barack Obama office.

All of you Hillary supporters that will now support McCain, go for it! You'll get what you deserve; we don't need you. At the same time, from what I read, take an English and writing course with McBush; I need a translator to read your comments. – Tommy Boy

August 2, 2008 at 12:44 am |
  28. Christina

It's too bad that Obama isn't "allowed" to consider any other fabulous female choices for VP for fear of offending Hillary supporters, including women activists. So much for women's advancement when it can't be any other woman, only Hillary.

August 2, 2008 at 12:42 am |
  29. Ramon

He will win without her, Hilary is absolutely useless. Obama doesn't need to bring somebody who will derail his presidency two years down the road. Hillary can't be trusted, she's nothing but lies, she'd do and say anything to get on the ticket.
    No Hillary !!
    And their supporters can all go vote for McCain, it won't matter

August 2, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  30. Ramon

As an independent I'm getting I am pretty comfortable with Obama as the next president, but if he adds Hillary to the ticket....I will definitely vote for McCain (who, despite whatever all the geniuses in this site say, is not George Bush)
    Don't the Iraqies need a strong president down there?
    Obama – please send the Hillary over there, at least we won't listen to her whining.

August 2, 2008 at 12:26 am |
  31. Raman Chopra

Also read Tammy's comments right at the top. You will understand my comments better.

August 2, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  32. Raman Chopra

I had already said what Mr. Gergen is saying now.Obama can only do well if he can look good and non- partisan. On his own he has to answer to all of the Republican attacks. That means he will not be able to take the high road. Obama is no better than Mr. Gore or Mr. Kerry and even they lost without the Clinton support.
    Hillary is an attack dog ( TIGRESS ) which energizes the Democratic base. This base, I have argued before, votes and gets out the vote. Never mind the Republican base for the moment. That is McCain's trump card which will be played right at the end. President Bush WILL deliver that for sure. A tie right now in the poll is bad news for Mr. Obama. Very, very bad news. Without Hillary the charm and excitement is gone and so will be Mr. Obama if he does not get his house in order. Kennedy, Kerry, Oprah, Caroline Kennedy..even VP Gore are all livingroom politicians ( Elitists ) who have no base and nothing to deliver.Compare Hillary's last speach and Mr. Gore's. Look at Hillary's MEDICARE PLAN, Clinton's record on the economy and WOW the name recognition. It is not a joke but a fact..Obama who ? What does he represent ? Name me an issue or two somebody. He is a hotair balloon about to go bust. He has already peaked in his popularity and rhetoric. From now on it is only downhill unless Hillary is on board and shifts gears. Obama has already lost the initiative. Mr. McCain is calling the shots and Obama is on teh defensive. Closer to the election Obama will have all the trash delivered day after day after day. Jeremy, Flag, Rezco, Michelle Obama comments etc. etc. AND PRESIDENT BUSH WILL BE IN FULL BATTLE GEAR. Republicans have and end game Democrats none. Not to forget the ACE OF SPADES...MR. ROVE.

August 2, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  33. duke

Until this week I said no Hillary on the ticket. Now I say bring Hillary onto the ticket as VP, have a nice conversation with Bill and turn them loose. They know what to do about the Republican attack machine.

I guess I am still amazed that the Republican attacks actually work on the American public, but we have to face the fact.....they do, unfortunately. As stupid and elementary as they are. But, it is what it is.

Bring the Clintons in and let's get this thing over with. I am an Obama supporter and now I say, Barack, show your judgment. You cannot afford to take a chance with the country's future.....secure the victory, call the Clintons

August 2, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  34. William

If Obama would choose Hillary I will vote for him.

August 2, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  35. Mark

Sitting on the other side of the border in Toronto watching this ping pong ball bounce back and forther makes for an amusing spectator sport. And since, being Canadian. I cant vote so to some extent i am unbiased.

As it stands, i like Obama, wow, the freshest face washington has ever seen in decades. For the experience gambit., I'll go for his character instead. I do not "dislike" Hillary, she is a scrapper – and she could make one hell of a VP/attack doggy 😉

The PUMAS must be the most pathetic group of self-indulgent whiners Ive seen. So me unerstand this right? After 8 years of repubican hell – you would sooner go for another 4 than stand for your own democratic beliefs just because she didnt win????

You know, even the rats on the titantic had the good sense to run to the dry end of the ship – supportng a McCain bid is well, yuck ;))

Mark

August 2, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  36. Alex

Come on guys...if you add Hillary Clinton to the ticket, that'll ruin any chances John McCain has to win. Keep things as they are and let Obama pick some lightweight so the two of them can go down in flames. With Hillary in the White House as VP, they just might clean up some of the mess the Bush folks and previous administrations created, They might even restore some credibility to the White House. So keep her off the ticket and help elect John McCain.

August 2, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  37. Tonya

Funny how so many of the Obama supporters talking trash are the ones calling Hillary divisive. Maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

Obama needs Hillary on the ticket.

August 2, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  38. ELIZABETH

I hope he will not pick Senator Clinton. She is too good to be Obama's vicepresident, and Obama with his team including the democratic committee made fun of her as most American blacks, and the media did as well.

Now, you all have Obama and be happy without the Clintons. They were just too good to be true, the Clinton's were the real dream ticket for America.

August 2, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  39. Marlie:

David It is a well known fact that you worked for Bill Clinton's campaign – but maybe not so known to the younger voter. Although you try to appear fair, you're not. You have always supported the Clintons. Why are you dredging all this up again the past few nights. You are right out of the old school, and you know it. I guess that is why they put you on 360 as it is by and large a young crowd.. Shame on you.

August 2, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  40. David

It has been a difficult decision given that I have always supported the Democratic candidate. I am just contiously convinced that Obama is not ready for the Presidency. He is arrogant and elitist - and I doubt if he understands the issues. I have decided that I will vote for McCain. I feel he is best qualified to handle the economic problems facing our country. All this talk about him being just like Bush is not well-grounded. I think he can bring change that will positively affect the greatest number of Americans. I would reconsider my choices if Clinton is the VP nominee. I'm still incensed at Obama playing the race card during the primary to the expense of Clinton (McCain is right on this point) and I can't reconcile his involvement with Wright and other religious extremists. It just doesn't make sense. So, no - Obama will not get my support - but I would reconsider if Clinton is the VP nominee. That's the bottom line - let's see if Obama will swallow his pride and do what is right.

August 2, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  41. Robby

I'm one of those people whose been on the fence since Hillary stepped back. I've tried to resign myself to Obama but my feelings have not changed. He's too inexperienced for me. And I have real trust issues with someone who rises thru the ranks fast. He reminds me of the suck up co-worker who manages to get the promotion ahead of you though you busted you're ass and were better qualified. So hard as I try, I can't vote for him and am bending, though with real difficulty, towards McCain. Issues are beginning to coverge now. I can't even have the luxury of choosing based on the differences in their platforms. Those seem to flip-flop at a moments notice. And neither candidate is above it.. What a real mess! Personally, I think the only thing left to draw me back is Hillary.

August 2, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  42. Crystal

Well well well–true, obama needs Hillary - however, she is a winner (at least the real winner) and does not need him. When the rest of the american people have had enough, she will be back to clean up an even worse mess. I think that it is sad that people can not make the right decision when it comes to an election, especially when the answer to all our problems was starring us all in the face. One would think that after these "same" american people put bush in office, "twice", that they would want someone to clean up. BUT here we are again, it almost does not matter who wins - we are all in big trouble again-at least for the next 4yrs., then hopefully, bush and obama and/or McCain supporters will finally wise up!!! One can only hope anyway...

August 1, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David Gergen, I've seen no evidence that Obama is even trying to get Hillary's supporters behind him. Has he evn asked for their vote? He seems to think he can win without them. If he loses, no doubt the post election analysis will cite that as a major reason.

@ Wayne. Good list. You forgot naive, hypocritical and indecisive. i disagree with the Hitler comparison though. Obama isn't nearly as competent.

August 1, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  44. Abe Copi

I totally agree. I supported Hillary in the primary's (which was risky since I live in Springfield, Illinois) and was crushed when she lost. I think they are both great for this country, but would be even better together. Experience and change go hand in hand and that is why they are perfect for each other. After all why can't the old party leaders and the new ones come together? In conclusion Obama needs someone to help him make it through all the Republican mud slinging and the ideal person, someone who knows how to fight fire with fire, is Senator Clinton!

Obama/Clinton '08

August 1, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  45. Jeff

I still don't understand how so many people on this message board who claim to be supporters of Hillary are so willing to abandon everything she has fought for in 30+ years of political service to her country. Voting for McCain or sabotaging Obama will have the inescapable result of tilting the supreme court irreversibly to the far radical right. Every issue in the progressive agenda she has labored so mightily for will be thrown out the window. Women's rights, civil rights, workers' rights, all will be rolled back to the stone age.
    If he loses it will be on the voters who turned their back on the chance to turn this country back on track. I was a Hillary supporter from day one, but there is no disputing that he has run an excellent campaign in the primary and the general. His writings, books and record clearly indicate this is a man of tremendous intellect and extraordinary interpersonal skills.
    It is an unbelievably atrocious insult to the people who fought and died in world war II to compare Obama to Hitler solely on the basis of the connection that they drew large crowds. It needs to stop, and the people who bring up this comparison needs to be called out for what they are.

August 1, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  46. Richard Larson

As I read the comments before me I thought that it was so sad that a few apparently intelligent people have become so hateful that they claim that the DNC had manipulated the primary election in order to "give" the nomination to the "hand-picked" candidate, Barack Obama. This is such an idiotic premise that it boggles the mind. I voted for Hilary in the California primary. Then I began to listen and compare the two of them. Barack impressed me immediately with his unruffled and logical presentation. Compared to her strident presentation and reliance on all the old reliable solutions to problems. I began to get the impression that what she represented was not what the nation needed. Now, with Republican appologists proposing her as VP I get the distince impression that that is the GOP's most pressing need at this time, an Obama-Clinton ticket. I do know this, it is long past the time when those men and women who voted for Hilary only because she was a woman, a feminist candidate, get over the fact that she lost the primary contest on her own by not organizing a campaign that was effective until it was too late. Let's face it, her remonstrations concerning Michigan and Florida were somewhat disengenuous. She knew and originally approved the actions of the DNC. Later, when she disparately needed those votes, she threw her fit and caused the party a lot of embarassment and unnecessarily divisive animus. My thinking is that if your vote for hilary was because she, as a woman, might further the feminist movement but you had no interest in the ultimate success of a Democratic party slate, shame on you. Go home to that mysogynist McCain and, if he wins, another 4 years of anti-feminist Supreme Court Justices and government where ideologes instead of competent people govern. The Democratic party certainly doesn't need people like you. Oh yeah, one other thing; If Barack does pick Hilary, what about Bill and all the anti-Clinton republicans. Barack is much better off without that hanging over his head.

August 1, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  47. Mary Greene

Mr. Gergen, I have respect for you and some of your colleagues. This is one time that I think you are incorrect. Hilliary will overshadow Obama and nothing will get done. We don't need to "firsts" in the White House. Hilliary might get her chance one day, but I still will not vote for her. When she lied about under fire in Bosina, I lost all respect for her because I have had friends under real fire and I, myself is a 29 year veteran. This is nothing to joke about and she said it more that two times. We need to get serious and back "change." Why is the news media beating up on the first Black/White American that wants to be the President of USA. I have never in my life seen such a bunch of dishonest and hateful people on the TV. And we wonder why the world hates us–we hate each other. We don't care about this country as some say, look at Hilliary's people that voted for her, they want to switch parties or they are still mad, is this patriotism? Does this show love for your country or for one person? What if Obama was not the nominee? Will the same happen with his supporters?What kind of country we really live in? Bush messed it up the last eight years and he is the "worth" president we have had in the history of USA and McCain should be at home resting in retirement and enjoying his latter years. He wants to continue wars and let someone else conduct his campaign since he isn't speaking for his campaign.
    I have never seen so many people that don't care about each other and live in the same country. We have lost our morale standing in the world under Bush and the other countries are taking advantage of it.
    WHY CAN'T WE JUST GET ALONG? Why do you all think we are having so much trouble in America?God will bless America, don't you think if we didn't have so many hateful and untrue Americans. God Speed be with you.

August 1, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  48. Bryan

Listen Hillary is great lady weather or not she is on the ticket i will still vote Obama.....McCAIN is trying every thing to win thats the reason why i stop work for his campaign.....

August 1, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  49. Earl

Senator Obama has mentioned that our focus now should be on Afghanistan instead of on Iraq. If this be the case I wonder why as Chair of the European Subcomiitee on Foreign Relations he never held any hearings(fact finding) on the presence of American and NATO troops in Afghanistan. He missed a good opportunity to actually do some foreign affairs fact finding instead of telling the American public that his recent trip to Afghanistan and Iraq was for fact finding. We all know that this trip was just a political photo op at taxpayers' expense. Again, I guess this show that Senator Obama is very good when it comes to rhetoric.
    Earl

August 1, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  50. Andrea

When you "Hillary supporters" vote for McCain,don't start throwing a tantrums when he turns back the socio-political clock to the point where you're home,wearing fuzzy slippers,are barefoot and pregnant,getting an allowance from your husband(or wife),being told how and who to vote for by that significant other;when your paycheck decreases in comparison to the male species or you have no money at all and "that guy "(McCain) and his constituants tell you what to do with your body...it'll serve you right! I can't believe you spoiled brats would tolerate 4 more years of George Bush's policies because you're candidate didn't get the nomination...grow up!
    Andrea