August 1st, 2008

Reviving the Hillary Idea?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/01/art.clintonforobama.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees convention in San Francisco"]David Gergen
CNN Sr. Political Analyst
AC360° Contributor

By all accounts, Barack Obama has written off Hillary Clinton as a running mate, but after watching the politics of the past few days, it is increasingly clear that he should reconsider.

The major tests for a vice presidential choice are (a) whether the person is qualified to be president; and (b) your running mate will give you a better chance at victory. It is relevant but should not be decisive whether you happen to like the person. History suggests strongly that in 1960, John F. Kennedy did not much like Lyndon Johnson - and Bobby despised him - but Kennedy, locked in a close race, chose Johnson anyway. It was a wise call: LBJ delivered not only Texas but enough southern votes to put JFK over the top by a whisker.

Barack Obama has just come off a couple of the best weeks we have ever seen for a campaigner. What other candidate has walked so safely through the minefields of the Middle East and drawn over 200,000 people in Europe? Given the unpopularity of President Bush and the meandering campaign of John McCain, one would ordinarily expect that Obama would have opened up a lead of 10 points or so. Yet we see just the opposite happening: whatever small bounce he may have gotten overseas is evaporating. This week started with Obama up 9 points in the Gallup tracking poll; that lead has shrunk day by day so that this morning, they are tied at 44-44.

Hillary Clinton predicted early and often that the Republican attack machine would crank up against Obama. Now it has - and it may be working. It is increasingly clear that Obama needs some reinforcements on the battle field so that he doesn't have to carry the fight all by himself. Who is any better at fighting back than Hillary and Bill Clinton? She showed in the Democratic primaries just how tough and resilient she can be - and how well she can frame an argument. If they can patch up their differences, it is hard to imagine that Obama can find anyone who would be stronger at his side during the fall.

The conventional wisdom is that Hillary Clinton would be divisive on the ticket, driving away many voters. No doubt, she will drive away some, but the Obama campaign has to weigh how many others she would help to bring in. Yesterday, Lanny Davis - a long-time supporter of the Clintons - wrote an important article in the Wall Street Journal laying out the case for Hillary. He pointed to a recent Fox/Opinion Dynamics poll (taken July 22-23) showing that in a head-to-head, Obama held a narrow 1-point lead over McCain, 41-40. But when voters in the same sample were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton vs. McCain-Romney, the Democrats gained a net of 8 points, leading 48-39! The big difference was that running alone, Obama got 74% of the Democratic vote, but with Clinton on the ticket, he got 86% - a significant 12% increase. Historically, one of the first rules of a candidate is to unite his party behind him before heading into the fall. Are Democrats really united at this point?

As Lanny Davis argued, there is a strong case that Obama running with virtually any Democrat can indeed win. But there are increasing reasons to believe that with Hillary Clinton at his side, he could have an even stronger prospect. Time for a rethink in Chicago?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. raycar

Obama does not have the experience we need in this country at this time. He showed that when he opted for a photo op instead of visiting the wounded troops overseas. I don't care what the excuse was he is the only one I know of that doesn't understand the relationship between the military and the civilian government. You never slight the fighting men and woman this way. It will be remembered and hurt him. Without Hillary he is a looser. Hell with her he still may be. He is not right for the job especially at this time in our history. – raycar – San Jose, CA

August 1, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  2. Anthony

I was once against the idea of Hillary on the ticket (won't go into details why) but that may be the best strategy for Obama.

However, according to analysis after analysis I read during the primary that Hillary is mostly disliked by independents and they are crucial.

That being said, Bill is the problem, not Hillary. If Bill can come out publicly and make a great case for Obama, I think Obama will take her. Bill's attitude and financial records is clearly what is at stake.

I'm 100% for Obama, especially since people seem to be totally unaware that McCain is totally unfit to lead by his ego, anger, age, and clearly another Republican trying to win the White House by assassinating his opponent's character instead of telling us what he has to offer.

I don't know why Americans would want to reward the Republican Party anyway after those 8 years.

The polls will always vary anyway and Obama does better on weekends because his voters actually have a life and the weekend is when they are more poll available.

August 1, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  3. allison

Barack Obama is the ONE.

He would not be the ONE if he needs Hillary. The light will sign from somewhere down to us because he is the ONE. We are the ones we been waiting for... Let it be, the ONE has spoken.

August 1, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  4. JPatt

As an Obama supporter, I am very disappointed in all of the Obama-haters. It is beyond sanity that any person who calls him or herself a Democrat would rather sabatoge his/her own party and the nation to try to prove a political point. Don't hate on Obama because he is intelligent, intelligent enough to hire a top-notch staff who realized from day one that delegates was the name of the nomination game. He won the nomination fair and square.
    Our nation is at a fork in the road in its history. Even though I thought John Kerry was a flawed and a weak candidate, I campaigned, supported, and voted for him. I had originally supported Howard Dean. When he lost, I was disappointed but realized that it was much bigger than Dean. And today, it is much bigger than Obama and even Clinton. It is about the need for change. For the last eight years, our country has gone down the wrong path. McCain has shown that he will take us down that same path. And it is hard to believe that some "Democrats" would want to take us down the same path. The choice we make could affect this nation for years to come. And if things don't go as well as could have been expected, guess who'll be the first to complain? Those that helped to put McCain in office.
    But that's okay Obama-haters. I believe that Obama will still prevail,even without your votes....He is signing up hundreds of thousands of "new" voters every single. So vote for McCain. Stay home. Waste your vote on Nader. Obama has the ability to surpass the negativity.

August 1, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  5. Jan D'Amico

This is a no brainer ! Hillary is the stronger candidate-An Obama -Clinton ticket is a guaranteed WIN. Somebody ,please get thru to the
    Obama campaign or the Democrats will lose again.

August 1, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  6. Jerry25

David Gergen is half right.
    However, instead of Hillary (who would revive Republicans), he needs to pick Joe Biden. Biden won't lose a single vote for Obama.
    I am quite surprised that the media hasn't figured out that Obama has already decided on Joe Biden. He practically said it in his remarks
    BTW – Biden is a Washington outsider. He has been commuting to Washington since the tragic death of his wife and baby in 1972.

Also, I wonder why the same David Gergen who said that "Obama would need a food taster" if he had Hillary as his VP, would bring up this story.

August 1, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  7. SVO

If Obama choses Hillary as his running mate, he'll lose my vote. I'll vote for McCain. How can some people actually believe that she's qualified to be president? She's still a rookie senator whose only experience was being first lady, seating on the board of Walmart (while they were discriminating against women and didn't allow their employees to unionize), then being a partner in a law firm. Please.

By the way, I'm a woman, over 50 and Hispanic! Does it surprise you?

August 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  8. Ron, Berkeley,Ca.

As a democrat,I want to WIN. Iwant my vote to count for something. I can still taste that bitter taste of defeat. 2000 ,2004,. Obama needs to keep all options on the table. I say, Hillary or defeat. I want America back. The only way is to defeat John Mc Bush.

August 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Betty

The firestorm the Republicans launch against Obama is nothing compared with what they'll launch against Hillary should she be on the ticket. She has a lot of baggage, including, I understand, a pending lawsuit. The Republicans will use all that in the most neative way. That's why they were so anxious to have as the candidate.

August 1, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  10. Francyne Phillips

After watching AC360 tonight, I became convinced that we are going to need Big Bill and Hillary. Not to win the election, because I'm reasonably sure Mr. Obama can win without her on the ticket. But, with the problems we are facing, as outlined on AC360's "Extreme Challenges" special, their expertise in governing will be invaluable to the country over the next eight years in solving these myriad problems. For the first time in my life, I am really afraid that we have dug a hole to deep to climb out of. God bless America - please.

August 1, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  11. hastump

David

I think you are wrong. If you see the electoral map 2008 poll, you will see blue all over, Obama already predicted with 316 electoral votes. If you bring in Hillary the dynamics will change, some Obama supporters will be disenchanted. Its no reason to shake the ball. I am so surprized that staunch HRC supporters such as yourself see an 8 year First Lady is an experienced person. Obama's experience for last 18 months of organizing a formidable campaign in 50 states out weighs any disadvantages he may have had. You cannot imagine how deep it is to deliver an election with over 1 million volunteers. Now you want to shake up that, and disenchant people? Are you serious? Who would want McCain to run the war now?

August 1, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  12. Dee

Early on I thought we had an abundance of riches when it came to nominee choices. Over the course of the campaign something happened I would never have imagined: I grew to despise Hillary. I've always liked her, but now I can't stand her or her supporters–the whiney sore losers who would rather lick their little wounds and watch our country go down the toilet than vote for an intelligent, forwarding-thinking candidate like Obama. He may have no choice but to bring her aboard, but it will definitely be party unity my ass. I make sure to stipulate on every donation I make to the Obama campaign that not one red cent go to Hillary to pay down a debt she racked up when she overstayed her welcome in the primaries. Let her worshippers pay for her. We may have to accept her, but we don't have to like her.

August 1, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  13. P.U.M.A

I dont want Obama to pick Hillary because she deserves better. She should be the nominee not Obama. We told yall in the begining that she would be the one who would beat McCain and be ahead in every battle state but yall didnt want to listen. Now this is what yall get.

McCain 08...Hillary 12

August 1, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  14. BJ

It's becoming more and more obvious that Obama is exactly what Hillary supporters have said all along he is... an empty suit.

His tired "race" card ploy is not going to work again, and all he's doing is shuffling his deck, and regurgitating his old slimy tactics.

Hillary should NOT accept the VP position... instead, the DNC should admit the mistake they made, and PUT Hillary at the TOP of the ticket!!!

August 1, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  15. Linda

David, since when did you become a prophet? I usually think of you as a reasonable person. But I don't forget that you were an adviser to Bill Clinton and I think your judgement is clouded. Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton are not team players. In their minds, they are always going to be the only two players on any team. Hillary is a liar. How do you expect to overcome the attacks that the Republicans will launch over her history of lying? What is Obama supposed to do about the fallout from the trial in which the Clintons are charged with campaign finance fraud in connection with her 2000 Senatorial race? You need to give Lanny Davis back his talking points!

August 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  16. jose

if he doesn't pick her, i'm voting for mccain.

August 1, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. A.M. Deist

The fastest way to hand John McCain the election is to put a devisive candidate like Hillary Clinton on the ticket. A Republican would be a much better pick for a running mate for Barack.

August 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  18. james messina

Obama’s energy plan is to take away the huge tax subsidies from big oil and give it to alternative energies. Big oil profits are the largest in history of the whole earth. McCain’s plan is to give more to the big oil and drill (by the way big oil is McCain’s supporters). Hillary is for alternative energy, but so are lots of others. If McCain plan mentions alterative it will be muffled by BIG oil and their drill bits.

August 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. beverly

leave well enough alone, obama will succed without the clinton, and her cry babies. OBAMA 08

August 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Cathy

For some time now I have felt an Obama/Clinton ticket was not the way to go because Hillary Clinton also brings a lot of negatives. However, I do find myself shifting ever so slightly and I guess I'd say I am presently on the fence with this. I do think he should not rule her out at this stage of the game.

In the long run, I do think McCain's approach to campaigning and his message will get old if he stays the course. I also believe Obama will get a boost this month when we see Hillary on the campaign trail and perhaps even Bill Clinton. Bottom line, Obama needs to keep all options open.

August 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  21. glenn

Most peopel that claim they wont vote for Obama werent going to in the first place, so who are they fooling? You are left leaning but you vote for McCain? And if soemone is mad at FISA with Obama, you really think McCain is any better? Will this be like 2000, we vote for Bush just because we didnt like Gore? Well , just remember what has happened the past 8 years. Go ahead and vote for Mccain, then we will ahve at least 12 years of foolishness due to our voting. and who cares about the polls, its the Electoral college. it really doesnt matter who wins the popular vote (just ask Gore).

August 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Frank Philly

Obama is so arrogant to think that he has the Oval Office int he bag. I am a Hillary supporter and I still think she is the best woman for the job. Obama has not once tried to appeal to her supporters for their help. He's the Almighty One that can do this all on his own. How arrogant!! The Republicans will and can bring his numbers down with their negative ads. These ads do work!! We know nothing about him, really. I think he's a very capable person, but in a general election, the DNC picked the wrong candidate. This will all be meaningless if McCain wins. But deep down inside, I want to vote for McCain instead of Obama because of Obama's arrogance. He's perfect in front of the cameras, but I feel a sense of uneasiness with Obama and the numbers are beginning to show that. He may dip below McCain soon. Maybe I'm just pissed that Hilliary didn't make it. But I still believe she is the better candidate at winning in a general election. David, thanks so much for all your insights and opinions. I'll vote for him if Hillary is there! I was so excited about this election. Remember those primaries. Wow!! Now it just seems as "politics as usual" with two guys running for the White House. How boring!! Hillary brought so much excitement. I truely believe, because of her, this election year has been incredible, up until she dropped out. Obama, reach out to her. She's awesome. You two can take this absolutely!! I love Gore and kinda like Kerry, but look what happened there. Invite Hillary on the ticket. It's a sure bet.

August 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. glenn

Lets just remember something here, Mccain, Obama or Clinton do not have much executive experience. None have been governors or mayors. Barack and Hilary have been President of different groups or what not, but unlike the past several Presidents, none have that executive experience. Being a lowly member of the military doesnt make you a leader but a follower. On the other hand, a General like Powell or Clarke thats executive experience. Mccain never ahd that, he had to follow orders not give them and the Senate is not an executive decision either. You are one of two senators from your state then one of 100 in all. Thats hardly an executive. Hilary would brign a lot to the table. Why do Hilary supporters think she is the only one that can be President? They call Obama arrogant and elitist, they sound arrogant and elitists by feeling only she can do it. How can you not be elitist if you are a Rodham or married to Bill or even married to an heiress to a beer company. News flash: McCain, Hilary and Obama are all elitists. Lets not mistake arrogance with confidance.

August 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  24. lampe

L.A. even if you don't count her years as First Lady of Arkansas and First Lady of The United States, that still leaves her with more experience than a 2-4 year Senator, and half of that time he has spent running for POTUS.

August 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Tommye

David,
    Should she return all the "white racist votes" she received in Kentucky, as you demanded the night of the Kentucky primary?

Of all the pundits, you waffle more than anyone.

Of course, she should be Vice President. She should be President.

Not going to happen. Your 24/7 Obama Show on CNN has seen to that.

August 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Sharon

I hope Hillary does not run with him.

Who ever runs with Obama, will get blamed for everything that goes wrong. We all know, Obama can only blame, he will not admit to anything.

August 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. EBC

I'm not worried about Sen. Clinton's future. WHAT I am worried and disgusted by is Sen. McCain's NEW attack Ad on Sen. Obama. Sen. McCain has stooped to an all time low when using "religion" as a means to attack his opponent. I found the new AD to be despicable and disgraceful.

I find it very sad coming from a candidate who called himself the "Straight Talker and Maverick". This NEW Ad clearly shows Sen. McCain's TRUE COLORS and the desperation to say or do anything to win a vote.

SHAMEFUL.

August 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Rich

With Hillary does come Bill. Enough Repubs hate Bill with a passion enough to act like Democrats to get her/him in the race so they can beat her/him again and again.

Bill does carry a lot of baggage that he will have to work out and frankly I don't think the lifestyle change will suit him. He isn't going to sit idly by and stop giving speeches and traveling with his powerful friends just because Hillary is the VP.

I can take Hillary, but I don't think we need Bill again.

August 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Maddison, DC

I told my colleagues at work that the McCain group will tag Obama the Anti-Christ, that is a perfect strategy to scare and put in fear in the evangelicals and christain conservatives, Mr. Obama if you are reading this watch out for that, he is going to walk that line, yeah, dirty is the republican party, and the will do anything to win, But i dont believe the will succeed, he will quit before the ...Elections, i also agree he needs Hillary, anyway she has always been the choice, First hit your enemy at his strongest base (Foriegn Affairs and Security), then loyal him with his weakest (Economy and Energy Crisis), then play Fair by balancing out on his Moderate (Healthcare and Education), Then sink Him with How well he has ran his Campaign, personal Judgement etc............. Obama will still win with or without
    Hillary................................ Obama 08, No Shaking

August 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. peter SF CA

Puma voters are very selfish. they NEED to understand what a big mistake voting for Mccain is. He wants to keep us in Iraq for 100 years, and then use the money we save from fighting the war to lessen the deficit. that doesn't make any sense, but neither does being a Puma.

OBAMA 08

August 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Sarah

Mr. Gergen's comments are exactly what I have thinking all along. I am and will always be a Hillary Clinton supporter. Of all the contenders on his short list of veeps, none of these men have the qualifications to be President. Hillary Clinton does!

August 1, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. lampe

Capecod: exactly what do you think Sen. Clinton should be doing for Obama? S he went with him when he asked her too. If she did anymore than what she was asked, people would say that she's trying to steal his show. You know this woman is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. All Obama supporters need to make up their minds, either you do or you don't want her help. And, if you don't please if he should lose, be mature enough to except responsibities for your own actions and don't blame others.

August 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Isidoro from Germany

Even 1% is still a win!!! Sen. Obama will make it without Sen. Cliton! We´re tired of all these blackmails as well as the Cliton´s dynasty! They are the one who wanted that to be as it is!!! Give us a break!

August 1, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Wayne

I agree he needs someone TOUGH like Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton

The Republicans have only just started

John McCain and surrogates have called Obama on Video or print the following

AntiChrist
    Hitler
    Nazi
    Trader
    False Messiah
    UnPatriotic
    AntiAmerican
    Muslim
    AntiChristian
    Communist
    Antisemetic
    Terrorist
    Empty headed only a celebrity like Britney/Paris
    Arrogant
    Elitist
    Weak and inexperinced

Do you guys have a backbone ? This is how they Win

Fight back , Get on the Offensive or you will be watching McCain sworn in as the next President

August 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  35. James daniels

The democrats a a bunch of idiots. I can't believe how they have acted since I helped vote them into office. I am a democrat, but I will vote McCain. Obama went back on his word with FISA, and now supports more "faith based initiatives". You can't compromise on the forth amendment and get my vote. Now, Obama is considering off shore drilling.

The stupid do-nothing-since-they-have-been-in-office democrats love him. He is for change. What change? Out of the frying pan into the fire change. The democrates and the press treated HIllary like you know what. I will not vote for Obama even if Hillary is on the ticket.

August 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  36. L. A.

Not to mention... the republicans would be able to easily and effectively argue lack of experience on the ticket because Hillary's 35 years of experience goes as follows... 10 years working as a corporate lawyer, 10 years standing as a first lady of Arkansas... 8 years as a first lady to the President and 7 years as a senator. There is absolutely no way you can say that 18 years as a domestic house wife qualifies you to be president of the United States. Women should ashamed of her claiming her husband's experience as her own... it feeds into the notion that women can't get anywhere without men. Where would she be without Bill Clinton?

August 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  37. lampe

Hey! did you all see Obama's big plan for saving gas? Everybody just go out and inflate your tires, that will solve all our problems. Now why didn't we think of that? Must be that Harvard education talking. Oh! Jay, exactly what hateful things did The Clintons say against poor little Obama? If you really think that was bad, you should read some of your fellow Obama's supporters blogs against the Clintons and their supporters, and baby you better buckle yourself in because the 527's haven't even started yet. Just ask John Kerry had bad and mean they were to him.

August 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  38. peter SF CA

hilary should be sec. of state not VP. it would allow Barrack to pick a VP with a similar message and still get the hilary vote.

August 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  39. L. A.

this is amazing! a lot of people are saying so many negative things about Barack Obama but if Hillary is his running mate then you all are willing to overlook those "deficiencies" in his character and vote for the ticket. What happened to voting for whats in the best interest of the country? You all can not honestly think John McCain is a much better alternative to Obama can u?

McCain's only policy is to rip Obama because he has no policies of his own. Think about it... Why doesn't McCain refute the charges that he is just another Bush term? thats because he is!!!!! Next time you listen to McCain, see if you hear any policy that is actually in the best interest of the American people and doesn't award big business.

Biden would be a much better choice for VP cuz he actually has experience. National Security, Foreign Policy, and Domestic Issues. He's also a fighter as well who can really stick it to the republicans.

Obama/Biden 08

August 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Evelyn

So maybe this middle-age democrat will vote, without Hillary I will stay at home. Now tell me is this another vote for McCain?

August 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Tristan

You know, I used to hate Hillary, a lot. I never wanted her to be nominated, and never wanted her on the ticket. But after seeing the way the Repubs have been in this campaign it has made me a little more appreciative of the Clinton machine. In order to tackled these nasty campaigners (John McCain Camp), you have to be able to get out right down and dirty, I don't Obama as capable of doing such, but with the Clinton behind him, they can definitely help to thwart these negative campaigning. We have seen her prove her ability to do so in primaries, and I would like to see her do that for Obama in the General Election. But the only way for her to do so, or have a validated reason for doing so, is for her to be on the ticket with him. That is my view.

August 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  42. jdona

Sorry, most Hillary supporters will not support Obama even if Hillary is the VP. Our disgust with the DNC, Obama, his supporters and the media this election cycle has really turned us off this election. Probably half of the voters that supported Hillary are just sitting home. Someone made a really good video on that, its the season of the Stay at home moms". We have no good choices, McCain or Obama. So now its the choosing of the lesser of two evils. Right now the lesser of two evils is McCain. The longer this elections cycle goes, the more Obama shoots himself in the foot. We supported Hillary because we could see that Obama was pretty empty on the issues and policies. There wasn't much there when you looked at him. Now its becoming more obvious to the electorate. The longer this election the more glaring it becomes. looks like the media is finally catching up to it as well. Its a little late, but I guess better late than never.

August 1, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  43. james messina

The Arabs will NEVER talk to the female Clinton but they will Obama. The Arab extremist and Iranian Muslims radicals chant hate and death to America everyday in their mosques that’s what Obama will attack the "why" and that doesn’t cost billions of $$$, it’s free and he is not a Muslim but he has experience at least, he can simmer them down and make America strong with talks, that’s the only way to resolve war, especially a religious war.

August 1, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  44. Joe Texas

I have no respect for Obama, but if Clinton was on the ticket, I would vote for him, Clinton is too good and I would trust the country with her over Obama and McCain and if he does not pick her, We will vote McCain in Texas, Well see him lose all the southern cities all the way from El Paso to Brownsville, which he will only win the cities with a hight black like Houston, Austin, and Dallas, And to me and everyone in Texas he can only carry this state with Bill and Hillary the Clintons are champions in Texas and they are my only choice...

August 1, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  45. lampe

Latrece, And BIG DADDY, sounds alittle to me like you are trying to threaten White people into voting for Obama. So much for racial harmony. If you as a AA have ever right to vote for him because he's black, what gives you the right to tell White's if they don't vote for him they are racists, or that AA's will never vote for White's again. Is that how you want Obama to win? Nice notes in the History Books that would make if he wins. The first AA POTUS won only because Black people made threats against white people. YEAH! That's something you should be real proud of.

August 1, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  46. Jan

He was dead set agains her along with Richardson, both are Judus like. Do not be fooled by them Clintons, Keep them on your short list where they belong. Too little too late. Dont think Slick Willy will let this slide, he won't . Hoping he'll give as good as THEY got.

August 1, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  47. Mrs. O

Yes, Obama needs Hillary on the ticket to win. More importantly, the nation needs strong leadership and they will be a good leadership team.

August 1, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  48. Jay

I am a Obama supporter. Hillary and her supporters has said things that I can not forgive. I would rather see him go down in flames, rather than pick her.

August 1, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  49. PUMA Memeber

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  50. Sean from Orlando

If Obama does not pick her then me and many other Democrats in FL and MI who had our vote messed with for something we were not responsible for will vote for McCain and he really stands a stronger chance of losing then. If you need to see the numbers of Dems for McCain just look at the many websites and MySpace pages like Clinton’s 4 McCain. The smartest thing he could do would be to pick Clinton, I know Obama supporters do not like this idea much, but it would unite the party. I have re-registered to vote as "no party" and if Obama were to pick Clinton me and many other voters who feel cheated of their vote would come back to the party. A leader is supposed to listen to their people, at least a good one, over half of Dems feel that he should choose Hillary for his VP, maybe it is time that nominees listen to the people when it comes to a VP, we are voting for the VP too after all. It makes me wondering if we should not be electing both of them.

August 1, 2008 at 9:41 pm |