August 1st, 2008

Reviving the Hillary Idea?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/01/art.clintonforobama.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees convention in San Francisco"]David Gergen
CNN Sr. Political Analyst
AC360° Contributor

By all accounts, Barack Obama has written off Hillary Clinton as a running mate, but after watching the politics of the past few days, it is increasingly clear that he should reconsider.

The major tests for a vice presidential choice are (a) whether the person is qualified to be president; and (b) your running mate will give you a better chance at victory. It is relevant but should not be decisive whether you happen to like the person. History suggests strongly that in 1960, John F. Kennedy did not much like Lyndon Johnson - and Bobby despised him - but Kennedy, locked in a close race, chose Johnson anyway. It was a wise call: LBJ delivered not only Texas but enough southern votes to put JFK over the top by a whisker.

Barack Obama has just come off a couple of the best weeks we have ever seen for a campaigner. What other candidate has walked so safely through the minefields of the Middle East and drawn over 200,000 people in Europe? Given the unpopularity of President Bush and the meandering campaign of John McCain, one would ordinarily expect that Obama would have opened up a lead of 10 points or so. Yet we see just the opposite happening: whatever small bounce he may have gotten overseas is evaporating. This week started with Obama up 9 points in the Gallup tracking poll; that lead has shrunk day by day so that this morning, they are tied at 44-44.

Hillary Clinton predicted early and often that the Republican attack machine would crank up against Obama. Now it has - and it may be working. It is increasingly clear that Obama needs some reinforcements on the battle field so that he doesn't have to carry the fight all by himself. Who is any better at fighting back than Hillary and Bill Clinton? She showed in the Democratic primaries just how tough and resilient she can be - and how well she can frame an argument. If they can patch up their differences, it is hard to imagine that Obama can find anyone who would be stronger at his side during the fall.

The conventional wisdom is that Hillary Clinton would be divisive on the ticket, driving away many voters. No doubt, she will drive away some, but the Obama campaign has to weigh how many others she would help to bring in. Yesterday, Lanny Davis - a long-time supporter of the Clintons - wrote an important article in the Wall Street Journal laying out the case for Hillary. He pointed to a recent Fox/Opinion Dynamics poll (taken July 22-23) showing that in a head-to-head, Obama held a narrow 1-point lead over McCain, 41-40. But when voters in the same sample were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton vs. McCain-Romney, the Democrats gained a net of 8 points, leading 48-39! The big difference was that running alone, Obama got 74% of the Democratic vote, but with Clinton on the ticket, he got 86% - a significant 12% increase. Historically, one of the first rules of a candidate is to unite his party behind him before heading into the fall. Are Democrats really united at this point?

As Lanny Davis argued, there is a strong case that Obama running with virtually any Democrat can indeed win. But there are increasing reasons to believe that with Hillary Clinton at his side, he could have an even stronger prospect. Time for a rethink in Chicago?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Jan from Wood Dale IL

There is the little problem of Patti Solis Doyle who has been hired by Obama's campaign to act as chief of staff for his VP. That could prove to be a problem for Clinton. Honestly, David, do campaigns generally hire the chief of staff for an unknown VP? It doesn't show much respect for whomever Obama picks for VP if he doesn't trust their judgement to pick their own chief of staff.

Biden, Hagel, and Feingold are all well respected in the Senate, but how well does the general public know them? Plus, they're "old school". Didn't Obama want to bring a new way of doing things in Washington?

Speaking of change, have you heard Obama has modified/adjusted/flip-flopped his stance on offshore drilling today? In St. Petersburg he announced that he would now support limited additional offshore drilling in order to pass a comprehensive energy plan. That's the change we can believe in!

August 1, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

Since Hillary dropped out I have watched the Democrats go from bad to worse. If Obama doesn't have her as his VEEP he will probably lose – even the Europeans were asking "where's the beef" on his speech – a lot of rhetoric but short on specifics. If the DNC is really smart they will let Hillary be nominated and allow the delegates a real chance to correct the mistake of Obama being the nominee. If they don't then they need to accept the real possibility of the GOP taking the White House again like it has so many times since 1970.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 1, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  3. To David Gergen

Mr.Obama has good sense to pick his running mate, doesn't need Hilary or Billary.. David & Lanny are snakes -trying to inject Hilly Billy into this race. This is a true test to Obama. If he is a true leader who has God's grace to protect him, he will win the election.
    This election is a test to his strength and judgement,
    Leave him alone. He walked fine with a solo performance on the world stage with 200,000 cheering crowds (not just Germans), if opportunity is give, even the British & other national crowds would have done the same. So Gergen-please -don't join Lanny Davis.
    Hilly Billy is not the change we want. Obama will win and Grandpa-
    McNut will loose. Mark my word on this solar eclipse day.
    Talk to you on Nov.4 again

August 1, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  4. gram

It's time for the DNC to wake up and give Hillary the top spot. Obama is not ready to take on the Oval Office and all that goes with it. He's just a case of smoke and mirrors put together by his pundits.

August 1, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  5. lampe

Maria, is hate-filled remarks like yours that just keeps making it easier and easier for Clinton supporters not to vote for him. Joshie, The audacity of hope or hope for change. What change do you actually see happening to us right now? You have groups of people saying awful, evil remarks against other people. Is this the kind of change that Obama was asking for? We already live in a world where one class of people hate other people, do you really think we need anymore hate in this world? To me The Audacity is that Obama supporters think that they are entitled to this win at any cost. The cost for me is my vote was not counted and my voice was not heard. That is the fault of The Democratic Party, that I want no part of. Sen McCain will be getting my vote,because I feel that that is the only way my vote will count.

August 1, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  6. rsk

I am a Hillary Supporter and I wish that she should not accept VP. Most of Hillary supporters are voting for McCain. I have also listened to Obama's supporters lyrics broadcast in Fox news for 10 minutes calling her by B' word. This is disgusting and we will not vote for Obama

August 1, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  7. ron

what was it obama said after he won his senate seat by a legal but very unethical maner by having his rivals default, ha yes, i think it went like this. well this is Chicago politics guess what chum this is washington politics. have a good day

August 1, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  8. James Dylan

It is quite amusing how many Obama supporters(Clinton haters) have now come knocking on her door. Starting to see the error of their ways? Obama could have been a good VP, but what is done is done and he will remain a Senator. Perhaps he will run for president in Kenya, where he is also a citizen.

August 1, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  9. oh well

David, you're right Hillary is his insurance in the general, but my guess is that he and McCain are trying to wait each other out about making a v.p. choice in order to choose an offsetting v.p. But time's running out for Obama and he's gambling if chooses other than Hillary.
    Older folks want assurance of experience, wisdom and a proven track record on the ticket, and Hillary fills that need. Obama is foolish to select otherwise, but his campaign is filled with foolish and arrogant youngsters that could cost him the big prize.

August 1, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  10. kim-chicago

I don't know who Obama should pick as his running mate. This is a tough campaign and it's going to get tougher. If he decides to pick her I would totally support him. Obama, Hillary (and let's not kid ourselves) Bill would provide this country with some pretty powerful BRAINPOWER...something we have been without for so long...

I think he will win with or without her. He's right you know...what are the odds of a black man named Barack Hussein Obama even becoming the nominee of his party? Could he possibly take out two political heavyweights first Hillary Cinton then John McCain?
    I would not bet against him.

August 1, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  11. Brian

Vickie Wade stated about Sen. Clinton..."If she’s smart, she would decline. Let him sink on his own and show the DNC that maybe next time they better play fair in the primary arena. They never seem to learn their lesson in getting behind the wrong candidate.
    If they (the DNC) weren’t so concerned with their own agenda, they would put Hillary in nomination at the Convention and then when the delegates realized they had another chance to make things right and voted Hillary in, the DNC could save face."

I respect Ms. Wade's point of view and it is completely understandable. The bottom line is that the people voted, the delegates made their choices and Sen. Obama received the required delegate votes to become the presumptive Democratic nominee and not Sen. Clinton. But on the flip side, it may take him selecting her as his running mate to give him the push to get him over the hump. The key is that the choice is up to him to select his running mate. I do feel that it the VP choice should be between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Biden with Sen. Clinton as the top choice. If selected as his running mate, Sen. Clinton will draw some controversy due to her past but I don't think the backlash will be that bad since it has been know for a good number of years. Lastly, Sen. Obama has to make the right choice carefully or he may come to regret it and lose ground, and possibly the election. To Sen. Obama, I say, "weigh your choices very carefully."

August 1, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  12. Earl

I voted for Obama for Senator of Illinois. I figured that eventually he would be great as a Presidential choice. However, I have been disappointed in him Why? Because he has not been effective as an Illinois Senator. The majority of the time he has been our Senator he has been running for President, leaving it up to our Senator Durbin to represent Illinois in the Senate. And now we are finding that Obama also really did not have a "presence" while he was State Senator in the Illinois Senate. Therefore, I will not vote for Senator Obama as President(I voted for Senator Clinton in the Primary because she has so much more experience than Senator Obama) Earl

August 1, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  13. James Dylan

The only thing I can say is the democrats blew it once again. See you in 2012 Hillary.

August 1, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  14. Earl

I voted for Obama for Senator of Illinois. I figured that eventually he would be great as a Presidential choice. However, I have been disappointed in him Why? Because he has not even been an effective as an Illinois Senator. The majority of the time he has been our Senator he has been running for President, leaving it up to our Senator Durbin to take represent Illinois in the Senate. And now we are finding that he also really did not have a "presence" while he was State Senator in the Illinois Senate. Therefore, I will not vote for Senator Obama as President(I voted for Senator Clinton in the Primary because she has so much more experience than Senator Obama) Earl

August 1, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  15. Ami

David, what a suprise! You are one of the TV regulars that created a Lord Obama, now you have him. I am a black woman and a Democrat but I will not vote for Obama without Hilary. I hope the good old boys of the DNC will understand that. There is no reason Obama should not be doing better than what he showing at the polls at this time but his big headed arrogancy wont allow him.

August 1, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  16. Dylan Pennsylvania

I support this idea 100%

If Hillary is on the ticket, Obama can go out chanting his dream and chanting his new direction for this country and Hillary can make McCain and his Republican imbeciles look like a group of little children complaining in the school yard.

This would be a landslide victory. I see absolutely no downside beside the fact that Obama KNOWS that he needs her...and he is too stubborn to accept it...too stubborn to do what is RIGHT...basically contradicting himself anyway.

Obama-Clinton '08 is the only way Obama gets my vote, the vote of my mother, my grandmother, my other grandmother, my aunt, my father, and my best friend.

Smarten up, Obama. Smarten up.

August 1, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  17. Teresa, OH

If race aint a major factor in this election: How many blacks are voting for Obama and FOR THE FIRST time?

Like it or not: this is an ELECTION BASED ON RACE.

Hillary would HELP Obama, but if I know Obama, he is getting arrogant enough to think that he doesnt need some white influence.
    The VP choice will MAKE or Break Obama.

August 1, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  18. Kris

What a load of crock, this. The Republican ads are baseless and juvenile. They appeal to the most inane sense of reality. If Americans are foolish enough to risk Bush 3.0, then we deserve our lot. Obama doesn't need Hillary to come riding through on a white filly. The fact that so many feel that Obama is in distress now over these pathetic ads tells you that we have way to many fair weather friends in our electoral.

As for the polls, in this year of all years, how often have they been correct? Damn the polls! When it comes down to it, let's hope this nation votes it's convictions, not it's fears!

August 1, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  19. Stewart Stevens

-CORRECTED--

Actually, all of this is just punditry. People who need something to do, to write about.

The truth is that Obama's not bumping in the polls because most people are asleep. They aren't paying attention because they know that the election is not for 3 more months, and they won't even start to wake up until it really gets going – AFTER the conventions.

Obama's weakness is not about experience – Bush didn't have experience, and Clinton and McCain don't have any experience running the Executive branch of the United States Government. What Obama offers instead is true leadership and the courage of his convictions.

Hillary won't be picked because she violated his morals time and again, turning her campaign into meaningless and unfounded jabs, and divisiveness, just like McCain is trying to do. Well they are/were both candidates with experience from the past, and the politics of the past worked in the past, and look where it has gotten us.

Notice that some of the Hillary supporters are the ones most negative and grudge-holding. If you don't want a 3rd Bush term, you will need to get over her loss (Hillary has) and work to bring the message of unification and leadership and real solutions to all the American people.

Now it is time for real leadership.

Now is the time for people to think for themselves rather than believe and talk about what everyone else is telling them is important.

Now is the time to think about how Obama's plan is to investing in this country in order to rebuild it, not go deeper into debt due to pork / special interests.

Obama is the first true independent, supported by the American people, with the guts to lead, and the wisdom to lead in the right direction.

He's not perfect. But at least he knows it. And he's willing to listen, and to think before making a policy decision or dropping bombs on the wrong people.

August 1, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  20. barnes

Folk are you all wearing blinders. Do you think if Obama were white the polls would be this close? I believe he is more than capable, and certainly more capable than Bush, of being the president.

August 1, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  21. Joshie

Why corrupt the leader of a movement for change,with someone who represents politics as usual? I will feel proud voting for Obama, win or lose, knowing that I am voting for a hope that transcends daily political life in Washington. I am voting for an ideal that politics won't be controlled by corporate intestests and for someone who truly believes he is representing me. I actually believe that he might have my best interests in mind. Hillary might be a politically savvy pick for vice president, but at the cost of the ideal that Obama embodies. I have felt alienated by politics over the last twenty years and I hope that my vote will not be attached to a name that represents politics as usual. The audacity of hope...a hope for change....Nieve? Maybe, but when you have nothing else, hope is the only thing left.

August 1, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  22. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

I am interested to see who Obama may think can help him as VP. He may have another angle that we are not thinking of. Hillary is a terrific possibility and she is not out of it yet. At the last minute, as planned, they may ask her. I don't think Obama will choose anyone until just before the convention. If it is Hillary, that may give them the momentum to win in November. The GOP hopes it is not Hillary...........what does that tell you? With Obama and Clinton staying so far away from eachother I believe she may be the VP. Then Wham............Obama/Clinton........and McCain may as well throw in the towel.

August 1, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  23. Jen B.

My respect for the Clintons plummeted to zero by the end of their disgusting campaign. Obama is like a breath of fresh air, the Bush and Clinton dynasties are stale. Having Hillary on the ticket does not represent "change we can believe in".

August 1, 2008 at 8:54 pm |
  24. big daddy from cincinatti

don't take the black vote for granted you democrats, or republicans, if the black and hispanic vote got together the y could choose their own candidate like Bill richardson, or Colin Powell , now that would put a wrench in the works wouldn't it

August 1, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  25. Jan in the 'live free or die' state

At this point in the race, Sen. Obama needs to look at the polling numbers. The polls are showing the Dems lead getting smaller every week. In order to seal the deal he must push his ego aside and ask Hillary to join the ticket; come on, 18M people voted for her...... Those who think he can win without her are now kidding themselves.

August 1, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  26. Latrece

The polls have dropped because media wants to make this contest closer than what is is supposed to be. Hillary and the DLC is the reason why we have right people in our party. This was a minority party anyway. The whites only came aboard because of the CLintons. Picking a VP to win in not what Obama needs to do. If people can vote for Bush because he is somebody that they want to drink a beer with then they can vote againts Obama because Hillary is not on the ticket or because of the smears against him. You pick a VP that will get this country on track. Vote for McCain and you will a worst economic situation than now. ALso, if wnyone thretening to vote against Obama. I would watch that if you want "white candidates or women' to get into the office with the browns in AMerica.

August 1, 2008 at 8:46 pm |
  27. Jacquie NY

David-
    You are a very interesting commentator, but please stop promoting HRC. The Billary machine needs to stop trying to use you and others to manipulate a place on the ticket. Obama cannot really consider HRC as a running mate – too much negative campaigning during the primary season. Can we just move on and stop promoting the Clintons?!?!?!

August 1, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  28. big daddy from cincinatti

i alwaus thought an Obama-Clinton team would be unstoppable to those puma boneheads wake-up and smell the coffee would you cut off your nose to spite your face?! ...... grow up and join together and put your ego's where they belong on the hanger in the closet..... if not then we will have a more divided,economicaly strapped, country that will be ripe for the pickings by some terroist group looking ro capitilize on our divisiveness and attack us ....... remember a house divided against itself cannot stand

August 1, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  29. justobserve

There is nothing wrong with Obama. He won the most pledged delegates and superdelegates so if voters and Democratic party want him to win in November then they have to work hard to bring his messages across to voters and bring about the unity face for the party. Win or lose the GEs have been in such small margins historically that there was never a clear result before the counting finishes. Hill didn't win from a great height from the start had its reason: voters didn't vote for her. Most of her "18 millions" voted for her at the beginning when she was the "Inevitable" but after her kitchen sink voters deserted her. Obama wants to change the old politics and if you bring in the Clintons machine that even Democrats didn't want, how can you win more voters in the GE? McCain's attacks were so untrue and childish that voters will see through them and deny him.

August 1, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  30. George

What does not kill you can only make you strong. If Mr Obama chooses Hillary as his running mate, He will be the next President of the United States and with the mentoring of President Clinton, he will estbalish America's 21st Century in the certainty of faith and wealth.

August 1, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  31. Jim in MS

I received an email for VoteBoth yesterday that said Hillary was completely out of the running. Well, that made me so furious that I vowed never to vote for Obama under any circumstances. She received nearly half the vote...he BARELY won the nomination. How dare he deny her the V.P. slot. I'm certain Howard Dean would have forced her to pick Obama if she had the most delegates. If Obama picks anyone else he is disrespecting Hillary and her 18 million supporters. I WILL ONLY VOTE FOR OBAMA IF HILLARY IS V.P. Otherwise, I will vote for McCain and wait for 2012.

August 1, 2008 at 8:37 pm |
  32. newport Gal

This Newport Gal will not Vote for Obama if Hillary is not on the ticket.
    I am only one of milions who will not.
    Time will tell

August 1, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  33. Jonathon, Illinois

If Obama really needs Hillary on the ticket to secure a win then by all means. I don't care what Obama has to do just as long as he wins. I would be devestated if he lost this election, I honestly don't think that I would ever take part in the political process again if he did loose, just sayin'

August 1, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  34. chrisopher ifeanyi

The analysis of the above poll has missed a very important confounding factor. The 12 percent of democrats that seem not ready to vote for Obama still feel strongly so because of the slim possiblity of clinton being on the ticket. If and when obama chooses a vp other than Hilary, this 12% revolters will have to choose between the lesser evil of the two: mcCain or Obama. They will surely line up behind Obama. The earlier Clinton is DEFINETELY excluded from the VP list, the better for Obama .

August 1, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  35. Fast Eddie Obama

Mr. Obama,

You get no second chance.

Do you want win with Hillary or take a chance winning 270 electoral votes without Hillary?

Mr. Obama, choice is yours.

This voter is waiting your decision.

With Hillary you get my vote, if not you are not my candidate.

Thank you very much!

August 1, 2008 at 8:35 pm |
  36. chrisopher ifeanyi

The analysis of the above poll has missed a very important confounding factor. The 12 percent of democrats that seem not ready to vote for Obama still feel strongly so because of the slim possiblity of clinton being on the ticket. If and when obama chooses a vp other than Hilary, this 12% revolters will have to choose between hte lesser evil of the two: mcCain or Obama. They will surely line up behind Obama. The earlier Clinton is DEFINETELY excluded from the VP list, the better for Obama .

August 1, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  37. ivan

is it wrong to point out that HRC's success was due to that campain going in to debt (greater than $10 million), poorly organizing and a lag time to find her "voice". Though people do support and respect her, how does that make her VP selection mandatory for Obama.

I don't hate HRC but Obama not picking her isn't arrogance it's him deciding on whichever person HE deams the best fit.

August 1, 2008 at 8:33 pm |
  38. Dana

I am so upset at the democrates and these so called deligates that I'm going independent. They selected Obama and they have the rules fixed so if they don't get the one that they want they can overide our vote. Then they are stupid enough to say that we will all come together and unite.Well I will not!!!! And I know many others that will not. We have to show them whose going to be in charge. And at least I know what to expect from McCain. Obama is a great speaker but I want someone that takes action and after hearing him over and over I still know nothing. He tells whats wrong but no solutions. We can all do that. Hillary was our only HOPE.

August 1, 2008 at 8:33 pm |
  39. Daniel

I don't think Obama will chose her, and he shouldn't have to. I don't know what the problem is with some of the Hillary supporters. I voted for Obama, but if Hillary won the nomination, I would vote for her. It would be ok with me if he chose her, but I think someone else would be better. Since 1981, there has been a Bush or a Clinton as President or Vice President. Isn't it about time for that to change? I really hope McCain doesn't pick Jeb Bush for his running mate.

August 1, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  40. Shelley Gale

Absolutely, Hillary is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe all the pundits who say she is no longer on the short list. Those 18 million votes for her are needed to put Obama over the top. To have a dream team of two who are qualified to be president is unstoppable. Don't write her off. Obama/Clinton will save the day and the country.

August 1, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  41. karen

I am an Obama supporter who doesn't want Clinton on the ticket I might be one of the minority on this but having her on the ticket doesn't show change and it doesn't show getting away from old politics. If Clinton supporters cannot see them selves voting for Obama without her on the ticket why the hell would they vote for him with her on the ticket? He would still be president she would play second fiddle he's not good enough to be president on his own he needs her to win that's crazy.....

I hope he does what is right for the country I agree when he says he wants a vice-president he can work with someone he can count on and be his partner in the White House he isn't going to pick someone just to win an election. Having Hillary and Bill Clinton in the White House together with a President who is young would be a very dysfuncrtional White House. If he doesn't win than the Clinton supporters and the Republicans get what they wanted the same thing that we have had for 8 years and our country is already in the toilet and 4 more years especially with McCain would bury us further but if the voters can stomach that than vote for him and Hillary can run in 2012 which I am sure she is anticipating on doing anyway so Clinton supporters win and if Obama doesn't win than the rest of us who want to see a change in America will suffer.

Hope all you Clinton supporters will be happy when you have no social security, no women's rights on abortion, higher gas, higher job losses, no energy except for richer oil companies but you will have McCAin the man who says no negative campaigning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  42. svp

At this time even if Barack is interested..I hope Hillary rules herself out for her own sake. She had enough negativity from Obama and his surrogates, not to mention the Obama movement who ridiculed and thrashed the poor woman. No matter what, she demonstrated her toughness and walked away on a winning note. He barely limped to the finish line based on the screwed up delegate math of the democratic primary process.

She does not need to enter the Oama world again. He will be fine with Tim Kaine and Virginia.

August 1, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  43. Sandi AZ

Obama should not add Clinton to his ticket. If he cannot make it on his own, then let the country go to h### with McCain walking in Bush's footprints. This country cannot surivive another 4 years with the Republicans in control.

August 1, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  44. Susan

David:

I would love Senator Obama to ask Senator Clinton to be his VP. I would love it even more if she told him to buzz off. Let us face the truth, she would be the nominee if FL & MI had not been so quick to move their primaries.This conversation would never be taking place.

I would hope that Senator Clinton has more respect for herself. She will be a winner at anything that she wants to do.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

August 1, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  45. maria

If Obama is smart, and I believe he is, he will not select Hillary. Not unless he wants to keep looking over his shoulder for the next 8 years.
    She has proven that she can't be trusted. Further, there is no reason for him to pick her. He has plenty of other suitable candidates for VP.
    About poll numbers? Let's not place too much emphasis on them, especially when a bulk of his supporters are young cell phone users who are not being called. The demographics would change drastically when you are able to reach them. David Gergen stop, I think you should stop dredging up political talking points trying to further divide our party, I am quite surprised at you. He does not need her, if your only basis is the poll numbers, which vary greatly, then that is not reason enough to try to put Hillary back into the picture.

August 1, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  46. james messina

The VP in Obama’s campaign I hope has an apple pie name to get some relief of erroneous innuendos.
    Obama’s name is an asset not obstacle
    If the media insists on using the race card and elaborating on his middle name and somehow insinuate that he is an Arab and will blow up the country, then why not say the opposite? Terrorism is a real thing. The extremists hate America. War should be the last resort. Talking to the Muslim terrorists is a real option. Education is the answer to why they hate us and what we can do to simmer down the fire. What better man that has a Muslim middle name can sit down and talk, not compromise but get to the root of the issues. Why don’t the media ever say something like that?

August 1, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  47. E. Jones

I agree entirely with David Gergen on this one. I have long believed that with Hillary as Obama's running mate, they would be a formidable force, ensuring victory. I am convinced now more than ever, and think that he should ask her to be his VP while there's still time to build new momentum.

August 1, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  48. Barbara

Remember how exciting it was with Hillary and Obama in the race? When Hillary left, she took all that excitement with her. She and Obama would be unbeatable. Only thing is, she has already been Vice President in a manner of speaking. I wonder if she would want the VP slot. It sure would be nice to have her back though.

August 1, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  49. Oregon4Obama

This is a great article.......I was against the idea of Hillary as VP, but now that the fight is over she is looking like a better pick every day......

Sure she has be extremely fierce and some say, polarizing, in the past......but the change that Obama wants will need someone who does have some experience and some guts to get it done......

Obama has the vision and can rally people like none we have ever seen.....but we also need the name and reputation (both good and harsh) that the Clintons have made for themselves.....

Hillary and Obama shared 90% the same ideas, if Obama can get Hillary on his program I think she should be VP.....put all the past behind them, put the country first and this election by ALL accounts would be the most HISTORIC election ever....

The American story would be realized that a Woman and an African American have helped shape our past and now can shape our future.....

August 1, 2008 at 8:21 pm |