July 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/31/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Wolf Blitzer fills in for Anderson Thursday. And Erica Hill is back and will be blogging! Check them out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kim (Georgia)

I don't know why we spend so much time with the issue of wondering why some "Americans" still believe Obama is a Muslim. Those people wouldn't vote for him even if they believed he was Christain. To them, he is still Black and therefore not worthy of the title of POTUS. Let's call it like we see it. There is nothing Obama can do about these people. It has to be bred out just like it was bred in.

July 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Bart

Hey guys, on the muslim issue you could make the argument that even if he's not muslim he's probably the best friend they could have.

July 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Angel Valenzuela

Hi ,
    I am upset at the Race card Issue . At a Time when People like myself are struggling to pay my morgtage and fill my gas tank , Both campagins are going out of thier way to make issue of Race . I agree that Race is a Problem in America , But Wether you are Black or White
    or green , Americans are struggling and this kind of off topic Squablling leads me to believe the Steady hand of Mccain or the Mantle of Change from Obama it feels like MORE OF The SAME , No one Discusses the issues ,Both parties just throws us a red herring issue. WHen are you guys going to "keep them Honest " and start asking how these guys are going to put forth agenda's that can solve our crisis.

July 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Kevin C

I saw the price of regular to 2 shell stations today on the same road range from $4.06 to $3.91. I think the price of gas is going down.

July 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Ray

It would be interesting to find out if muslims in America think Barak is muslim

July 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Ross

I know I'm going to offend a percentage of this country. I don't care.
    It's embarrassing that the people displayed in the "Muslim Myth" segment think the way they do. Let's get one thing straight, we're all Americans, but there are many Americas. I do not live around people with beliefs like that.

July 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Marilyn, Houston, TX

People, we drive vehicles that get 10 miles a gallon? How can that be the oil company's fault?

July 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Norma

David,

Don't you think if he does that more republican will come out and vote due to the fact that they hate Hillary?

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Ken

MaryBeth
    you have a point there. We have had Presidents from many religions but what would be so wrong with a Muslim. Our country is a melting pot of races and religions and Muslims are but one of those religions. Our country does not have problems with Muslims but with radical Islamic Muslims. There are many thousands of honest productive and educated Muslims in our country. What would we do as a nation one day if a Muslim decides to run for President?

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi David, the problem with that is he IS doing well with Hillary supporters.

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Dean, DC

I couldn't believe it when I heard David Gergen (whom I greatly respect and agree with 90% of the time) opine that Obama should consider Hillary for VP. How diminished Obama would look with both Clintons glowering over him in the WH; if it weren't for Bill in the background it might be a viable proposition to have Hillary, but with both Clintons, no thank you! I plan to vote for Obama UNLESS Hillary is VP; then my vote will proudly go to McCain.

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar

Hello David Gergen,
    I also agree with your blog comment, you have a good point.

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Lou (Canada)

I do not like the way McCain talks down when he talks about Obama. McCain speaks about obama like he is a little kid. It is getting really annoying. McCain should look in the mirror and practice his speeches a little more

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Ebony

Obama is trying to be a grown up and talk about the issues that matter but McCain and his campaign are literally trying to destroy Obama! McCain is wrong for letting them do that when he said he would have an honourable campaign!

July 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. lynn

McCain should apologize for stating that Obama would rather lose a war to win an election. McCain's antics today have successfully turned the dialogue away from issues to once again issues about race. A country that professes to be the leader of the world needs to get beyond race.

July 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Victoria

Those folks in Tennessee have got to be kidding me. Do they have the Internet or Cable in that town?

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Janna

re; Muslim rumors etc..It makes me so sad that many many many Americans will vote uninformed...

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Carlton Greene

Does anyone seriously believe that race is not a part of the presidential politics?. It is irrelevant weather McCain is personally responsible for playing the race card. He is head of a party that is running ads in various battleground states in an attempt to appeal to the prejudice of "white working class voter". Obama should not apologize. He had it right the first time.

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Linda, Los Angeles

You know MaryBeth, that is the saddest thing about this. It is like being Muslim is an evil thing and that is dangerous.

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. janet

What's the big deal if he is muslim or not? Why would that be a bad thing? What is so horrible about being muslim? Move on.

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Susan - North Haven,CT

Here we go again.... it seems to me that Barack Obama is the one who has an issue with the color of his skin. He comes across as being extremely insecure to me. He's constantly defending himself which makes him appear very weak.

When is he going to stop with this nonsense? geez.

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Kat

I just tuned in to see yet another segment visiting ordinary folks...with the emphasis on how much they disbelieve in Obama's Christian faith...some time ago it was a visit to a baseball park where people complained about his race....remember the black man with change in a cup? Perhaps I missed it, but I would love to see the same reporter do a similar segment highlighting how much certain people fear a John McCain presidency....I am certain there are many of us as well. Or better still...run a similar segment highlighting discussions with people who think Obama is terrific.

July 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Your comments always help me think more clearly about issues, so thanks for weighing in tonight. It appears that tonight brings a bit more of a split on how McCain and Obama have handled the past couple of days (as opposed to last night, when there was a clear majority who disliked the McCain campaign for its ad comparing Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears - ridiculous, you said. Tonight some of you - not all - think that Obama went too in his response.

The only thing I would like to re-emphasize is this: if I were advising Obama, I would argue strenuously that he has to think seriously again about Hillary Clinton on the ticket. If she truly adds 6-8 points to his total - as one recent poll shows - that could make a crucial difference in a close election. It's an old rule in politics that before you can become a statesman, you first have to win the election. So, I would say that whatever his personal preferences, he should take a hard, hard look (It is worth remembering that JFK had no love for LBJ - and Bobby really disliked him - but putting LBJ on the ticket was the key to victory.)

July 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. janet

Someone mentioned that Obama needs to start being negative. I have found his campaign totally negative from the beginning when we had a dozen candidates. He has no problem being negative. He should stop the negativity and being so smug.

July 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Hannah Storm

the story out of Canada just makes my skin crawl.....you never know what will throw people into a crazy rage. My condolences to the victims family and thoughts for those on the bus who had to witness a horrifying event

July 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Gary

I have money invested in oil companies which is my retirement money. I just retired and millions of other Americans have their retirements invested in companies like Exxon. Does that make us all bad? Just want to keep it honest.

July 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  27. jackie

I agree with David Gergen,the Obama campaign should have a serious rethink of not picking Hilary Clinton as his VP choice.The name of the game is winning.Hilary makes his coalition stronger

July 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Karin - Canada

To the people in Copphill, Tenn. who still believe Senator Obama is a Muslim. .... ignorance must truly be bliss..... unbelievable!

July 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Lou (Canada)

I too don't understand how people can still think that Obama is a Muslim, however if you look at the parts of the US that these comments are coming from, it might not be too hard to imagine....

July 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Linda, Los Angeles

Did people miss the fact that he grew up with white grandparents? Are they saying that his mother and grandparents are Muslim? I truly do not understand this one.

July 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. ericacnn

hi, everyone - sorry it took me a bit to log on, more laptop issues! we're set now, tho 🙂

July 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Linda Powell- Singapore

These people obviously do not read. Obama is obviously is not Muslim. He didn't even attend a muslim school in Indonesia. Maybe these Americans can't read. I am embarrassed by these white americans. They are just giving themselves a reason not to vote for a black man.

July 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Thomas Jackson

In short I will vote for Obama. I believe it is the fresh approach we, as a country, need in leadership. As for McCain he is tied to Bush policies and politics. He has demonstrated the flip-Flop nature on several issues. It tells me that McCain has no substance and probably has come to the end of his career in politics.

July 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Sylvia

McCain calls Obama un-American which he is not. Obama calls himself black which he is. Who do you think would make the best president????? Start talking some sense McCain.

July 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

Oh boy! people says that Barrack Obama is muslim........ I don't know what I say..........

July 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Fay, CA

The biggest "threat" to this country are ignorant people who can't comprehend facts–it's been proven numerous times that Obama is NOT a Muslim and yet there are still those out there who believe it.

July 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Shannon

The fact that so many people have believe he is a Muslim despite the proof to the contrary. This is why Obama has said what he has, because people that are related to the Republican spin machine just keeps perpetrating it and McCain refuses to denounce it.

July 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Sourav Bandy

I agree with what Lorie Ann says about live debates of both candidates. Let's face it, America is by no means color blind, but I guess we have more important issues to be addressed in this presidential race. Its high time the US realizes it can't afford to lose out to other countries in the race of a global economy.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. MaryBeth

Why is being Muslim so bad?

That lady doesn't even believe him!!! She's like "I know what he says." And you can't be "born" any religion. You have to be baptized. You're born a clean slate.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Skye

Obama needs to challenge McCain directly on McCain's assertion that "Obama is playing the race card." By implication, MCain is saying either that he (McCain) is disadvantaged because he is White, or that Obama is advantaged because he is Black. Both implications are counterintutitive and ring hollow to the majority of reasonable, rational Americans.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Linda, Los Angeles

The Muslim thing is something I do not understand. How can you fault him for Wright's comments and at the same time say he is a Muslim. Do they need to see him baptised?

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Hannah Storm

lordy I will never get how people still think Obama is a Muslim. It is so ridiculous

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Gary

Senator McCain has a plan to deal with the rising cost of health care without establishing a government bureucratic nightmare. Senator Obama says on his web site says he will give people "similar" health insurance to what the Congress has. Obama's plan is socialistic.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Linda Powell- Singapore

These people are nuts! You can see just how ignorant many americans are.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Melinda

The reason I finally decided on Obama was the fact that he has run the most positive presidential campain I have ever seen. I am still impressed with this and his responses to negative comments. Most of us are tired of negative ads already. We are ready for a change!

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Kelly K Jordan

Barack Obama needs to get more negative and give John McCain his own tricks. Obama does not need to bring Hillary Clinton. Just become her. John McCain has slipped up so many times this campaign but Obama wants to be a goody. American does not understand goody. They want someone who is tough.

July 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Ed from Va

I know a lady at work that is convinced that Obama is a muslim...
    She went to say that after you grow up as a muslim you have to continue to be.

July 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Jan - Oklahoma

David Gergen is wrong about putting Hillary on the ticket with Obama. That would be putting her in second place and we Hillary supporters will not tolerate that. Thousands of Hillary supporters have already stated numberous times, if Obama is at the top of the ticket, we will vote McCain. We aren't going to "fall in line".

July 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. michael

McCain ad shows two young blonde white women,playing the old fear of the the black man is going to rape or take white women. That is racist and it was John McCain whom put race in this race.

July 31, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Rick in Az

With the very real sufferings of the American people. It is truly a sad state of affairs when the media is distracting the peoples attention to the same old politics that we had to deal with 4 years ago. What is even worse is that so many people will throw their very real worries about the future of this country to discuss this kind of politics.

July 31, 2008 at 10:16 pm |