July 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/31/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Wolf Blitzer fills in for Anderson Thursday. And Erica Hill is back and will be blogging! Check them out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ronnie Hawkins

The candidates need to get back to substance, the probems affecting America. We continue to see the fear card played as it was played during the Republican Primaries, in which John McCain play the same attack mode on Romney. Just to be clear he did not play the race card. He played the fear card and distorted the candidates views. So you have this game once again rearing its head. While it is important for a few in the media and those that stand to lose to see negative campaigning, we are forgeting that it affects all of America (White, Black, Asian, Hispanics etc.,).

July 31, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Kevin C

Regardless of whether Obama mispoke when talking about McCain, he needs to have examples to back up the accusation that republican operatives are using race againt him. A viral e-mail is not evidence.

July 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Kyle Baugues

How can you say that Barrack is not playing the race card. He said "because he has a funny name, because he is black" Barrack is mixed half white half black but plays the race card saying he is black.

July 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Norma

As a woman whos not black or white...watching this debate on race is just so over blown..

Its the same thing over and over again..there are other race's in this country.

July 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Courtney, Fl

I have heard John McCain make reference to Obama emphasizing the Hussein! you can't tell me that's races and fear mongering. that disrespectdul towards black and muslim people.

July 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Cynthia

Linda, you are correct. It really makes me sad to think that we have not come far enough in race relations for it not to be about a candidate's race. Black people have been voting for white candidates for President every since they were given the right to vote.

July 31, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Harjeet Nanda

Hi I WAS a Obama suporter till today however with Obama's comments I am rethinking my vote to Obama since he has shattered his artilculate perception with me...I might be voting now for McCain.

July 31, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Gary

How can anyone say McCain is getting desperate? The polls say something very different. Is that the hope you seek?

July 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Linda

Joe, Obama is not arrogant. He is confident. When a person of color is confident white people always accuse them of being arrogant. Why is it that people of color cannot exceed white people's expectations without being accused of being arrogant?

July 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Lou (Canada)

I don't think that Obama has anything to apologize for- given what he has had thrown at him over the course of this election, and who should he apologize to... Have you ever heard Mc Cain apologize for anything?

July 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Ken

Shannon......
    as much as I would like to see these two guys keep it on the issues, I suspect that by this fall it is going to get nasty on both sides. Just wish they could stick to the issues and the high road.

July 31, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Linda, Los Angeles

As has the implication McCain has been using in the ads. As David just said it is the big elephant in the room.

July 31, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Shannon

Janet, I would like to see McCain apologize for inferring that Obama is a traitor when it simply is not true.

July 31, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. janet

Why is is alright for Obama to use race and ethnicity, but not for McCain or Hillary, or even Bill for that matter? It's a double standard.

July 31, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Linda

Come on people! We ALL know deep down inside that race has EVERYTHING to do with this election! McCain knows that his implications have everything to do with race. The ONLY reason why the polls are close is because of McCain's race.

July 31, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar

I agree with both of David Gergen and Roland Martin's comments!

July 31, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Cynthia

I agree totally with David Gergen. There have been a lot of subtle things out there from when he was running against Hilliary Clinton and will only intensify now that the Republicans are taking over.

July 31, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Lou (Canada)

I agree with David Gergan that race has been a subtext in the Mc Cain campaign. They are getting desperate.

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. steve, toronto, canada

Are you starting to get the impression by listening to Obama that the election in November is just a formality? Did I miss when he became the president?

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. lynn

Mike: How can you say that; McCain has foolishly blamed him for high oil prices, compared him to two pop personalities, lied about his honouring the troops having an ad ready to denegrade him if he did visit the troops and called him a traitot re his plan to bring the troops home.

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think both candidates would do themselves and US a favor and debate each other on live tv. Then we'd hear their solutions, not this nightly brouhaha of the moment. Both candidates in their own words.

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Norma

Obama has always say these things before..I think Obama buried McCain with his comment about ..Its that all you got.

That was sweet

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Bill

I would like to know why isnt Race Relations in America an issue ever in presidential races just like the war,the economy,and medical coverage?

July 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Linda, Obama's implication was very clear. He was saying McCain was using race as an issue. He has not. Obama pulled the same thing against Clinton.

July 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. janet

Obama was definately referring to race and being muslim. That was wrong for Obama to infer that McCain was saying those things. He's trying to ignite a fire. Obama should apologize.

July 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Gary

Senator McCain has a definitive energy policy including use of our own resources and alternative energy development. Obama's idea is to increase the pressure of your car tires and taxing the oil companies.

July 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Shannon

Gary, McCain has sent out many mailers with President McCain written clearly on the mailer to the right of his picture. That seems a bit arrogant and presumptuous to me.

July 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Cynthia

Senator McCain should have stuck to the issues from the beginning. He has been attacking Senator Obama from way back in the primaries even before any of us knew that he was the Democratic nominee. I still don't get why McCain would put Senator Obama in an ad with Hilton and Spears in the first place.

July 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Sheree

I constantly ask my self am I being bias...and most of the time I say yes...but this time with this: this is why you shouldn't vote him instead of this why you should vote for me is something I hate when Obama does it

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Ken
    Your're right about that....... I also support Obama..... I agree with you.....

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Stacy

This is ridiculous. The McCain camp is just throwing out anything now and seeing what sticks. So much for the high road.

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Shannon

Ken, he has said these things in the past. They are legitimate issues that will be addressed in the Fall. Tara Wall is completely wrong!

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Obama successfully used this 'racial' line with Hillary and now it's McCains turn.

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS

If anyone doesn't appreciate the strictly humorous comment about the dollar bill, then they should try walking the shoes of anyone who is identified as a minority.

July 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. MaryBeth

But Obama is right. He doesn't look like any other president we've had. Hillary doesn't either, being a woman, but at least she's white. All those people who won't vote for Obama because he's black would have at least voted for Hillary because she's white even if that was their only reason.

July 31, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Gary

Not only about race, Mike, but he also called himself the President again when he said his picture is not the same as all those other Presidents on the one dollar and five dollar bills.

July 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Shannon, Obama is the one who crossed the line, in a BIG way.

July 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Joe

Obama is full of himself. I have never in my life seen a presidential candidate so arrogant.

July 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Linda, Los Angeles

Mike, have you seen anyone like him on the bill? Does he not have a right to say he is black?

July 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. steve, toronto, canada

Of course Obama played the race card; just as McCain has played the age card. The hypocracy is that McCain can't bring up race and Obama can't bring up age; so niether should use either!

July 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Lou (Canada)

I think that John McCain is walking a slippery slope with the negative ads, however I also think Obama is a little off base with his comments today. I did not hear John McCain say anything recently about race.

July 31, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. CaseyJPS

OK, I'm so over this tit-for-tat, Let's talk about the ISSUES!

July 31, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Hannah Storm

wow McCain can throw out the accusations and then kick John King to the curb when he doesn't want to get into the real issue of the matter. Interesting

July 31, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Ken

Megan I gotta tell ya. I am an Obama supporter but he was wrong on the "Looking like the other guys on the dollar bill". I never herd that from McCain or his camp. Obama gaff today.

July 31, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Shannon

John McCain is running such a sad campaign. I wish for once he would talk about something substantive and a legitimate policy difference. You can tell he is really desperate.

July 31, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama's comment about the dollar bills could only be interpreted as about race.

July 31, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Cassandra

Does anyone remember a few weeks ago…the cover of The New Yorker Magazine? Those were my first thoughts when I heard this “Race Card” issue today.

July 31, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Shannon

The only people that believe Obama is a Muslim despite the facts are those that purposefully choose to disrespect him. They know it is not true, they are just playing up the fear of others

July 31, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Lou (Canada)

good evening Wolf, Erica and fellow bloggers. Sounds like a good show tonight.

July 31, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Wolf, Erica and best bloggers!!!!
    Welcome back Erica!!!! missed you.... Happy see to you!!!!
    Not good day for both of McCain and Obama.. too much negative ads!

July 31, 2008 at 10:00 pm |