July 29th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Sharks and other politicians

Obama headed into the office building of VP vetter Monday.

Obama headed into the office building of VP vetter Monday.

Barclay Palmer
360° Senior Producer

Good morning fellow globe watchers.. Let's start with a pop quiz!

What's the next big decision in the presidential race? What next step could affect leadership of the free world for years to come?

It's that tried and true DC parlor game - the VP sweepstakes... Fun... but important, too!

The candidates and their "surrogates" have been sending out signals.. meeting with screening committees, appearing with potential running mates and dropping hints behind the scenes.

Today we see stories that Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has had "very serious" conversations with Sen. Obama about joining the ticket. And discreetly comes word that Camp Obama's not thrilled with this little trial balloon.

What about Hillary Clinton, you might ask? Whispers it won't be her...and the big issue remains, how to bring her followers into the Obama tent.

Tonight, we explore that and more with Suzanne Malveaux reporting, and Carl Bernstein and others analyzing.

Did someone mention sharks?

Anderson is swimming with great whites off the coast of South Africa. Not kidding. After moderating presidential debates, you're pretty much prepared for anything. Tonight, Anderson reports on these great misunderstood creatures and their important role in the sea.

Back in the shark tank of DC, everyone's talking about fixing our nation's energy problem, saying it's crucial to fixing our economy. But will Congress act before vacationing? Joe Johns is keeping them honest.

And Dana Bash travels with the woman who's helping John McCain court women: Carly Fiorina, former Hewlett Packard CEO and now top McCain adviser, helps the candidate show he is addressing women's concerns, as he talks about national security and the economy.

Thank you for joining us!

-Barclay

Filed under: Barclay Palmer • The Buzz
  1. Annie Kate

The Veep picks will be interesting. Obama really needs to pick someone with experience to counter his inexperience, maybe Senator Biden. And McCain – he has a bunch of people that are top drawer to pick from – so maybe the most important criteria for him is to pick someone younger and someone who has a good economic understanding since McCain said he didn't. I'll be glad when they pick and all the speculation can end.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anderson with the sharks some more. Last night's clip was great and it was nice to see Anderson enjoying his work on this segment so much. It was as he said really cool.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 29, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  2. Kristina

Not Kaine! He was only mayor of Richmond for three years and Governor for three years – he needs someone more experienced or he'll be eaten alive by the RNC on experience. Evan Bayh has over twenty years of experience and is Senator of a major swing state. He's also remarkably free of controversy and people like him. He's the obvious choice outside of Jim Webb, who pulled out of the race.

July 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  3. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good Day everyone !
    The undecieded questin of vp choice continues. I want it to be someonewho can go head to head againsdt each candiates oppontent. How will they deal with the most important issues the economy and the war in Iraq .
    I also can't wait to see Anderson's report on sharks
    and after dealing with all that politics this is like a day at the beach right?
    thanks for your posting Barclay
    have a great day!

July 29, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  4. Thomas

I don't think anyone is labeling this a political game for VP nor do I think either candidate is allowing the potential VP's, or anyone else for that matter, choose who will run with them.

Both candidates face an important decision ahead, to choose their running mates. There are numerous candidates for VP for each presidential nominee, and it is really up in the air right now as to who will be chosen. I can't speculate as to who will be chosen on either side, as there hasn't exactly been enough word from either campaign. However I'd say McCain is going to have to pick some like Romney who can bring the economic experience and know how to the ticket.

For Obama, I'd say Kaine is out due to the fact it will look like a VERY inexperienced cabinet in the White House if elected, so I would say Hillary (whispers or not) is still a very strong candidate for VP. She has the experience and the followers Obama could use to his advantage. They've made numerous appearances together, many closed door meetings, and I'd say she is still a likely candidate. I think as it was said very early in the Democratic Campaign, the dream ticket is Obama Clinton, and i think we may see it happen. These two could unite the Democratic party, and bring some real change to the country, just as Obama wanted. Clinton fits with his campaign and I think she'll be the likeliest candidate.

July 29, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  5. seah ohio

I am amazed that They think it is a political Game Picking a VP.

That the time and moment is of vital importance.

The person, the credentials and experience and the character, the Ability Have more importance. The Candidate having full knowledge and faith in the person they choose (not who others choose for them).

It makes me uncomfortable to know, That the Presidential Candidates do not make it their Primary Concern to pick a VP on their own. Shows they do not know anyone well enough, make a personal decision or know anyone who would be the best person for the Job.

It is poor judgment for the presidential candidates to have someone fill the position of VP for them.

July 29, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  6. Kay in WV

Good morning!

As interesting as the Veep question is for both candidates, as a truly undecided voter I really want to see both men answer the tough questions about the economy and give detailed responses about how they would approach the difficulties we face going forward. Is their approach short-term? How will it help/hurt the long-term economy? Frankly, I'm tired of soundbites. It's great that this year CNN is giving us unfiltered speeches by the candidates, but it doesn't help when all they do is speak in platitudes and soundbites.

July 29, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  7. deborah, OH

Thanks for your posting, Barclay! Good morning!
    The video of Anderson with those beautiful animals were remarkable. Can't wait to hear his report about how important sharks are in the 'great scheme' of things! Did a little bit of research last night, & found some interesting things.

The VP race should be fun to watch! I think it will be 'trickier' for Obama than McCain, but who knows?!

And, yes, I am looking forward to Joe Johns' report on Congress. They need to do SOMETHING before the recess! But, I don't think they truly understand "mainstream' America anymore–most of them have a lot more money than the average constituent, like me. Oh well, time will tell...

Have a good day Barclay, Anderson (wherever you are), Erica, & all.

July 29, 2008 at 9:09 am |
  8. Cindy

Now comes the hard part for McCain and Obama. They have to pick a VP. That can't be easy at all!! I still don't see Obama picking Hillary unless it is absolutely necessary to win. Other than that...no way! As for McCain I think his best bet is Romney. He is already well known and is great with money and the economy, something that McCain isn't.

I love sharks so I was happy to see Anderson "swimming" with them. That must have been awesome. Can't wait to hear more from him and Neil from there. Hopefully with some pics and more video and maybe a blog or two! **HINT, HINT**

Cindy...Ga.