.
July 28th, 2008
10:57 AM ET

Two blasts rock Istanbul, killing 17

Video taken with a cell phone just as one of the explosions went off in a packed residential street in Istanbul.
Video taken with a cell phone just as one of the explosions went off in a packed residential street in Istanbul.

The death toll from two weekend explosions in Turkey rose to 17 Monday after a wounded person died, the state news agency said. The blasts Sunday injured at least 154 others, the Anadolu news agency reported. Among the dead was a three-year-old child, it said.

Istanbul Gov. Muammer Guler called the blasts "an act of terror," and said the devices were placed 15 meters (49 feet) from each other. The first was a stun grenade that was detonated to draw attention before the second blast went off, he said. One bomb had been placed in a trash can.

Guler said police had launched an investigation into who is responsible for the blasts. No claim of responsibility had been issued late Sunday.

Read more...


Filed under: 360° Radar • Global 360°
soundoff (3 Responses)
  1. Sabrina in Los Angeles

    When is all the senseless killing going to stop?

    July 28, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

    I have always wondered why terrorists do what they do – if they want people to really listen to what they believe and what they stand for, killing people with a bomb is not the way to do it – in fact it turns more against the terrorists and what they stand for than it attracts. I wonder if terrorists when you get right down to it just use ideology to justify their attacks and the true reason they attack innocent men, women, and children is hatred and evil. This has become a very sad world when terrorism is done so much that it seems commonplace now.

    Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

    July 28, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  3. Anton Smith

    Kill every terrorist that the US and allies can find.

    July 28, 2008 at 4:45 pm |