July 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/28/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson is in South Africa working on Planet In Peril: Battle Lines.  Campbell Brown will be filling in for him.  Be sure to check Campbell and Randi Kaye out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Saera El Paso, TX

good night everyone
    lovely monday evening to you all

July 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Ken

Great show tonight Campbell and Randi. See you guys or Anderson tomorrow night. Good night bloggers. Sleep well all unless you have to be at work at midnight. In that case awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

July 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Good night Campbell, Randi and best bloggers and Anderson.....
    Have a great night!!! Sleep tight!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Awesome!!!!!! I bet Anderson just so scared of shark! day of the shot!!!!! 🙂

July 28, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. CaseyJPS

That is really cool! So is 360! Thanks for great conversation tonight, bloggers. I missed David Gergen's input however. 🙁 Have a wonderful Tuesday.

July 28, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Monday evening..The Shot of the Day? Those big teeth coming towards you? What a way to spend the day. night all

July 28, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Ken

Randi, Campbell, be careful how you talk about the TSA. Remember that the Dept. of Homeland Security and the FBI does not discuss who may or may not be on the "Watch List". If they will not discuss it then once they add you then you can never get off of it because they will not discuss it with you.

July 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Jolene

Good show tonight Campbell and Randi. It was nice to see Anderson smiling and enjoying himself. Good for him. Nite all.

July 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Mona

I wouldn't mind trying that!

July 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

Anderson gets to cuddle with gorillas and sharks...he's so blessed with his job!

July 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

Dwight, San Bernadino,CA
    The list is not published.

July 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Rey

You can call it harrassment but they'll say "they are just doing their job." No one can ever win against TSA.

July 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Claire

Randi,

My friend's brother who is a policeman is actually on the list. Not only his first and last name but his middle name too. He has to go through what Drew does every time! He's tried to get off for a while but nothing works.

July 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Mona

Who shot this shark footage?

July 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Donald

McCain's health should not be a joking matter.I do wonder if it will effect his job perfrmance. JUST be careful when you vote in nov. I have a gut feeling this will be a critical time in history. Vote with your mind not your heart and bias thought against Obama or MCCain . Age or skin color will not be what hurt this Country but weak and stupid policies

July 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Dwight in San Bernardino, CA

I'm still waiting to see the watch list. Where can I see it?

July 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I suspect that when they set up the list, they didn't put a lot of thought how to manage the list. Typical federal incompetence. These are the same bozos that will be running our health care program if it's started.

July 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

Drew is clearly getting harassed by the TSA. I can't believe they get away with that.

July 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Saera El Paso, TX

Randi, I'm on the watch list. I was attempting to get tickets to Chigago. No word on whether my name is of the list yet.

July 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Jolene

Gotta love Drew's passion for this TSA story. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets his name off the list. I suppose adding birthdates to the watch list could help.

July 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

Randi,
    I agree with you...... I watch tv on Animal Planet and I saw sharks is so very scary one!

July 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Randi, I agree with Ken, I rather watch from the comforts of my home that kind of exciting stuff.

July 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Rey

Well during Vietnam, children were used to maim US soldiers with a hidden grenade. Terrorists will use every means to scare peace loving people like us.

July 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  23. randicnn

mental note to all: do NOT travel with Drew Griffin... if you want to make your flight on time! Any of you aware you're on the watch list??

July 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I believe that it's harder to stop the women bombers as well. Culturally, it's not possible to search them at checkpoints like you can men.

July 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

Hi Randi, it is about multitasking, I didn't see Anderson in the shark cage but It just takes guts to do that. Now I saw it, yep that's scary, a lot of things to know how to do just to get in the cage. I'd prefer dolphins, too, but they can bat a swimmer around as well.

July 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Ken

Randi, if it wasn't for people like Anderson and his camera man, I would not be able to safely sit in front of my TV and play with the sharks. Kudos to Anderson.

July 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. randicnn

that's true.. this political season feels a bit like swimming with sharks.. some of the critics have quite a bite, eh? on both sides of the aisle.. but that shark was frightening! i don't even like the shark in the fake lake at disney world in florida.. but i'm a lot more squeamish than AC! any of you ever swim with sharks?

July 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I think I'd want an underwater bazooka even in the cage.

July 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Norma

I don't think these kind of attacks using women will change no matter what they do.

July 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Sonny

The gender of the suicide bombers hardly matters to the deadliness of their mission. The willingness of the terrorists to use women as "delivery vehicles" is clearly a tactical decision designed to facilitate entry into target areas. Perhaps the profile for the would be suicide bomber should be changed.

July 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

My hearts go to Iraqis people who lost many lives........

July 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Cynthia

Who cares who checks them – somebody needs to inorder to help some of the suicide bombings from happening.

July 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

What's next? Children suicide bombers?
    How sickening to think of that..

July 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Jolene

Always great to hear from Peter Bergen. The trend in women suicide bombers is alarming. Just goes to show that females are not seen in high regard by the terrorists.

July 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

Randi!
    I am really scared of sharks and Anderson Cooper….. I am so nervous about him!!!!! But I love dolphins. that is my mammal dolphins.

July 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Randi, Sharks are probably a walk in the park compared to covering the jabs of a political election season.

July 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Kevin C

Eh, too early to take polls too seriously... unless you're a pundit 🙂

July 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Jana, Indiana

Nope you wouldn't catch me that close to the sharks, cage or no cage.

July 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

Hi Randi, I would love to dive with sharks! I'm sure I will do that in the future.
    Love your new haircut btw!

July 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Justin, Fayetteville, AR

i think joining Obama backstage in Denver is worth $5...heck, if I had the money, it would be worth $5,000 or more.

July 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Jolene

Hi Randi: Well, let's put it this way, getting close to sharks would not be my #1 thing to do in 2008, however, as long as I don't hear the Theme from Jaws and I am in a cage with 6 others just a crazy, sounds rather exciting to me.

July 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Rey

I don't mind sharks, but I'll be in my chair and glad that wasn't me in that cage for sure.

July 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Leanne. Canada

Campbell – Anderson Scared – NEVER!! ......

Well....let’s hope not!!

I’m sure Anderson was quite excited by the adventure and the experience to swim with Sharks!! Africa has some beautiful marine and plant life and awesome game wildlife, believe me I know. I was born, raised in that environment, and I miss is dearly.

July 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Randi!
    I am really scared of sharks and Anderson Cooper..... I am so nervous about him!!!!! But I love dolphins. that is my mammal dolphins. Bwt, I like your haircut!

July 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Saera El Paso, TX

hi Randi!
    i would definitly do the shark cage. it would be such an amazing experience.

July 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. AJ

Unfortunately with skin cancer, the risk of it recurring goes up with age. The media has given McCain a free pass on a number of issues and gaffes committed this campaign season. Apart of the health question for McCain, is answering what medications is he currently on?

Medical problems increase exponentially once a person passes 65 years of age.

July 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  47. randicnn

hi everyone.. glad you're all tuned in online and on tv tonight! it's all about multi-tasking, eh?? did you see Anderson in that shark cage?? yikes?? cant' wait to see that story.. i fed a stingray once but don't think i'd have the nerve to get that close to a shark.. cage or not? how bout you??

July 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  48. AJ

David Gergen mentions the GALL/USA Today poll in favor of McCain, but fails to explain the poll. That GALL/USA poll was conducted among likely voters? What the hell is a likely voter? Typically and reliably, polling is done among registered voters. I have no idea of what this new methodology of polling means.

July 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Oh my gosh!!!! I am so scared for Anderson Cooper in ocean and saw shark!!!!!!

July 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

i will scared of the sharks enough for Anderson....I would NEVER do that. Dolphins yes, sharks no

July 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |