July 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/28/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson is in South Africa working on Planet In Peril: Battle Lines.  Campbell Brown will be filling in for him.  Be sure to check Campbell and Randi Kaye out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Hannah Storm

glad to hear about the five arrest at the polygamy ranch

July 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Leanne. Canada

I agree with Ed and Dee Dee. Sen. McCain is constantly disparaging Sen. Obama. Every single time Sen. McCain refers to Sen. Obama, his tone is condescending and arrogant.

July 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

David Gergen is right about McCain making headway on the off shore drilling question. I like to see both candidates making their best arguments. That feels best to me. It's going to be a battle all around anyway.

July 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Rey

Florence, don't worry we'll be prosperous and you wont be sorry. Besides you'll be pleased. Do the right thing and vote for Obama.

July 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Sarah

why is everyone making a big deal about McCain's age and health?

July 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Rebecca- NY

Jo Ann-Great Question'! That is crazy to think about. What would the Republic party do?? It's a higher force was rooting for Obama...

July 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Carolyn Logan

Hello,

Why haven't you discussed the issues relating to how Obama has a strong support for Vets when contrasted against McCain who has a surprising lack of support for voting for Vet issues since the late 90's.

July 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Rey

Well Hannah with all the experience McCain has, he should be able to do so. Quite frankly, he doesn't have the finese like Obama. Compared their speeches, McCain looks as if someone is forcing him to speak - a machine if you would. Obama on the other hand, inexperienced, yet he connects real well.

July 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Jolene

I admit, Obama is executing one heck of a campaign. Sitting down with the economists was a brilliant move. Key is what will the resulting proposal for a plan of action be.

July 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Cynthia,
    Yes, You're right about that. he will hear from his result tomorrow.

July 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. CaseyJPS

McCain needs to layoff the angle of not supporting the tropps. His voting record is absolutely dismal, at best. McCain has shown up for only 4 of the last 14 votes regaridng Iraq, including NONE this year, just for starters.

July 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Justin

McCain seems to be following Obama on this race. In my opinion, Obama really seems to be setting the tone for this race. It's almost too easy for him. Even though they give lip service to 'it's going to be difficult', it's very clear Obama has the momentum and McCain wants to do what he's doing.

July 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Tan Homsi

Hannah,
    Yes he can transition smoothly, but how competent are his responses?

July 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Cynthia

I think the attacks & ad will hurt Senator McCain if people check the facts of the ad. Obama did not go to the gym – he was visiting with the troops in Kuwait among other things.

July 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar

Minou,
    You're right about that, His health will be not ignore at all. always very important to check your doctor.

July 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Jan

Wouldn't the Republicans be better served if the Presidential candidate didn't misrepresent the other party's candidate, and develop his own policies instead of continually taking credit for the Democratic policies?
    Also, for a self professed supporter of our Troops, why is it that Sen. McCain has voted against eight out of ten bills that would support our military, or he just didn't show up to vote. Odd behavior from a so called supporter of the military.

July 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Rey

Well Tan you made a pretty good sense, but malenoma i think is severe in McCain's history. sunscreen can only do so much - if you know what i mean.

July 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Florence

I am a registered Republican who will be voting Democratic for the first time.It is very unfortunate that my party chose such a candidate in Mr Macain.This man does nothing than to be critical of his Demoratic opponenet and thsi is a big turn off for many people.I sincerely do respect this man for being a war hero but is this all he has to show to the American people?.I have constantly listened to Obama say what he is going to do for this nation even if they are sound bites,but the only ting i have seen and heard from Mr Macain is only being critical and angry that Obama travelled to Europe etc.I had prayed and wished that someone like Hucabbe would win the primaries,but my party chose Macain,we will pay the price of loosing this election,so sad.

July 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Trey

[Let me preface this by saying I am not McCain supporter]
    John McCain is definitely at risk for many health complications, but that isn't exactly a controversial issue. It's shocking that amid problems with our economy and the war in Iraq, we're still able to find the smallest (relatively) of problems to exaggerate.

July 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Justin

Mike,
    He may be good to go today. But will he be good to go next year. Or the year after. Health at that age can rapidly begin to fail.

July 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Ken

Obama seems to be drawing not only from the young and fresh but from older and experienced. He is also drawing from both Republicans and Democrats and I like that. I like that because he will have to work closely with both if elected. He is surrounding himself with smart people and that is what a President must do to be in the position to make good and sound decisions.

July 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Hannah Storm

it seems that Obama can go from foreign policy to the ecomony smoothly. McCain does not have that skill in my opinion

July 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Hi Campbell, Randi Kaye are you here, everyone blogging. I hope Sen McCain is all right. I might be going against the grain, but I don't spend much time thinking about John McCain's age. Seems young enough to me.

July 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Jolene

Hello bloggers! Well, McCain can't complain about not getting press coverage now can he? They are all over this mole removal.

July 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Cynthia

Mike, he said on Larry King Live that he won't get the results until tomorrow.

July 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar

Casey JPS,
    Yes, I do always check my doctor if I have one...... You're right! I feel so nervous right now....

July 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Justin

Of course his health shouldn't be ignored, Minou.

I just don't want it to be the reason that voters DO NOT vote for him.

However, in the scope of things, his age and health are important because we need a president who will be mentally capable the entire time. He's not that much younger than my grandmother who is an alzheimer's patient. And THAT happened in just a few years.

I agree that it is important.

July 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Minou, the drs. have said he's good to go. That should be the end of it. His age is no more relevant than Obama's race.

July 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Tan Homsi

I do not understand the fuss about John McCain making a speech about sunscreen in the sun. Isn't that where you are supposed to wear sunscreen? Just because he has had skin cancer does not mean he should be covered in a sheet when out during daylight. It is insane! Just because you have had skin cancer doesn't mean you are afraid of the sun.

July 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Norma,
    I agree with you........ I think he can fire all his campaign managers, their campaign are not working so well.

July 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, I agree we should not jump to conclusions, but what happens if one of the candidates is forced to drop out?

July 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  32. CaseyJPS

Mike and Megan...Wow–every 3 months?! I live in the desert, have fair skin, and (have had) skin cancer and I don't get checked THAT often. I don't mind telling you I'm a little nervous right now.

July 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

His age and health are very important. Those are the things that influence humans the most. I don't think it should be ignored.

July 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Hannah Storm

forget politics.....for John McCain sake I hope this is nothing as he believes it to be

July 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Ken

Good evening Campbell and Randi. Hope you guys had a great weekend.

July 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Cynthia

I agree Norma. The Straight Talk Express skidded into a muddy ditch and is spinning its wheels and can't seem to get out with the commericalls.

July 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  37. CaseyJPS

David Gergen, weren't those Gallup polls two different groups of people? One was for LIKELY voters and the other was for REGISTERED voters. Am I getting my polls mixed up?

July 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar

Mike in NY,
    You're right! I always check my doctor to check If I have cancer each 3 months........ Hope I have not!

July 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with you CaseyJPS, we as a country need to stay focused on the issues.

July 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Norma

McCain should fire all of hes campaign stuff. The pictures coming out are just awful. Nothing is working for him. The only thing his doing lately is personal attacks.

July 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  41. Marvin Lee from Arcadia, California

I hope John McCain's mole is benign. Health is always important for anyone, including politicians.

July 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  42. CaseyJPS

McCain's a cancer survivor–that's great! Can we stop the hyper-focusing on McCain's age? Yes, I want a fresh perspective in the White House, but this really annoys me. It's simply unfair and borders on the ridiculous.

July 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Justin

I am not a McCain supporter, but I would rather him lose the election on terms other than his health.

July 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

McCain gets checked every 3 months on a routine basis. Let's not blow this up over nothing.

July 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

John McCain is lucky alive, cancer skin already removed!

July 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Cynthia

Hello everyone. Let's hope that the results of good for Senator McCain.

July 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. CaseyJPS

Good evening Bloggers!

July 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Saera El Paso, TX

hello everyone

July 28, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Hellooooo Campbell, Randi and best bloggers!!!!
    Happy Monday!!!!! Hope you have great weekend!!!!!

July 28, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

Good evening Campbell, Randi and bloggers

Hope everyone had a good weekend

July 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |