July 28th, 2008

Evening Buzz: McCain's Health

John McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

John McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

Maureen Miller
360° Writer

John McCain is facing new questions about his health. Today the presumptive Republican presidential nominee had a mole-like growth removed from his cheek. The campaign says the doctor doesn't think it's anything, but the skin was removed as a precautionary measure. A biopsy will be done. McCain has a history of skin cancer. Tonite on 360°, we'll look at the medical and political implications.

We're also looking at McCain and Barack Obama's suspected ties to lobbyists. The way McCain tells it, he's your guy in Washington fighting the influence of big businesses and their lobbyists. But is he? And, what about all that money Obama has collected for his campaign? He's made an unprecedented pledge: No money from lobbyists. But what about big business? We've got the raw politics.

Also tonight, Anderson's deep sea adventure with great white sharks (cue the theme song from "Jaws). He was diving off the coast of South Africa for our latest Planet in Peril investigation. It's an under water journey Anderson will likely never forget.  It's our shot of the day, tonight on 360°.

All that and more tonight at 10 p.m. eastern.
Hope you'll join us.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. ebony

I think McCain's health is a very serious issue! Being the President of the USA is very stressful and whoever is President will have to be on top of their game! Be sharp and hate to say it, but more youthful than McCain! After age 65 the body automatically starts declining rapidly! I really don't think McCain is in shape to take on all the stress and strains that the Presidencey will require!

July 29, 2008 at 4:09 am |
  2. Heather

I don't know what stage his skin cancer was when he was originally diagnosed, but I do know that the largest organ on the human body is our skin.So if he is constantly being checked and tissue is taken for biopsy, its not enstage which means death.Plus the Mayo Clinic is the best.He is just fine. Its only a big deal because hes running for pres.

July 29, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  3. Stephanie

While I have no intention of voting for John McCain, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill regarding his health. As a 47-year-old female with a history of melanoma, squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma, I see my dermatologist every 3 months also. Any thing I see as new (and it may not be) and anything my Dermatologist sees as new or remotely suspicious, is immediately taken off and biopsied! Most biopsies come back normal, but with this history, we go with the "better safe than sorry" line of attack. Let it rest!

July 29, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  4. Bonnie, Las Vegas

McCain is a poster boy for the importance of checking for skin cancer. I wish him all the best.

However, I don't wish him the White House – I don't want a hot-headed sexist at the controls.

Not to say I'm an Obama fan. Simply no choice in this race.

July 29, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  5. Laurie

I hope that McCain's mole is benign. I'm not for him but wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. He is too old and feeble to be President. Just look at all the presidents after a few years in office. They age so much. The stress must be incredible.

I have had several growths removed from my face and they were basil cell carcinoma, not melanoma. Melanoma is a very serious cancer and can kill. I've had several friends over the years die from it. I get checked yearly for any moles or growths.

As to McCain and his lobbyist connections, on the front page of today's San Francisco Chronicle (July 28th, 2008) there was an article about how McCain got campaign contributions from oil executives that rose dramatically after he reversed himself on offshore oil drilling.

I am totally opposed to offshore oil drilling off the coast of California. There was an oil spill on the Mississippi River over the weekend. I don't want one off the coast of California as there was in Santa Barbara years ago.

July 29, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  6. Lamont Austin

Listen you guys, and gals 1st to: Annie Kate – Now if someone said to you i'll pay you a thousand dollars to do a job but you know you can make 300 thousand dollars on your own which one would you take?

2nd to: donald – Im glad you took the time to look at Obama, you see there is one thing about a positive blackman that most caucasians dont know and that is. "we as positive blackmen will sincerely put forward 110% effort to something we believe in" and I sincerely believe Obama has set out to do just that, when it comes to bettering our lives in America as well as abroad.

3rd to christine – I really think we all would rather have a president that can play basketball and sustain a bruised hip then having a president with a bruised brain, Ive been trying to make this point for some time now, people would rather have a crazy old in-articulate white man as president than a very smart and articulate blackman as president.

To all of you voting for Mccain, he denied the Martin Luther King holiday by not voting for it, is that American? no. Any black person voting for him still suffer from the "Lynch syndrome" Lynch being the person that wrote the first slave endoctrine. to keep blacks supressed and obedient. I wish caucasians would admit there forefathers were
    cruel, sadistic and relentless to the fact of trying to make us cattle. And for your information, I dont hold a grudge even though everyone in this world knows I could.

I also think, like any bad addiction we need to take ourselves completely out of the situation of being around oil, We have solutions that can be integrated into our daily lives that will take us away from the oil problem. solar, wind and water power those resources shouldve impleted a long time ago, but it seems the Bush's had the master plan by saving the oil they own and make the american people pay for the demand and when the price goes up they reap the benefits, Dont we all know the first Bush had 1 hundred million shares of quwaite oil during the time Sadam Husane tried to invade them, how many times do you think that stock has split since
    then. (whoa)
    And they wont impeach Bush for the mis-use of office power. We went to war for three diferent reasons, i thought the war was won when we captured Sadam Husane but the Bush's and the Mccain's and the republican party say we're still fighting a war.
    we've been tricked, even republicans.

Lamont Austin Tucson Az

July 29, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  7. D. Newman

Has Obama had a colonoscopy? He is at an increased risk of colon cancer since he has been a smoker for almost thirty years and his mother died of cancer. This cancer screening is not routinely done until one is fifty years old. A mother dying of ovarian cancer at age of 53 (as Barack's mother) and a history of being a smoker puts Obama at increased risk. This routine screening should be done to anyone under these conditions. There is a type of colon cancer that is hereditary and can be masked by female relatives dying of ovarian cancer. Hopefully, McCain's skin cancer has not reoccurred and the public will become more educated about the risks of all types of cancer.

July 28, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  8. Judy Parker

My husband and I live in Mexico part of the year, and based on the dermatologist here, John McCain's stupidity about exposure to the sun with his history of melanoma is astounding. The doctor here, told my husband who has a couple of spots that may be precancerous, that his bill baseball cap was good only for the garbage and he should be wearing a hat with at least a three inch brim to protect his ears, the sides of his face and the back of his neck from the direct sunlight. This type of hat isn't as fashionable as the baseball cap, but it is certainly much more effective. Seeing Senator McCain with his exposed face in the hot sun when he was standing in front of the oil well in California this afternoon was shocking to say the least.

July 28, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  9. Suzi

I think it's amazing how Senator McCain can tell everyone to go see "their dermatologist" when they see a funny looking mole... If we had the health care he receives we all could do that! A lot of people can't afford the co-pay to get the referral and then the co-pay for the derm, especially the 40 million people who don't have health care. He needs a reality check.

July 28, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  10. Bruce Platzek MD

If the Israelis attack Iran McCain wins in Nov-why is this not being discussed.?

July 28, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  11. Dr. Roger Libby

John McCain is too old, unhealthy and feeble-minded to win. Obama will win by a virtual landslide. McCain will choose a young running mate, but it will not help counter his lack of imagination and insight into what needs to be done, and how.

July 28, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  12. Grayson Dodson

Has anyone considered the odds of Barack Obama getting lung cancer? Since he has been a smoker in the past.

July 28, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  13. Thomas

The fact that Obama has had hip problems is of no consequence to the presidency. A hip replacement does not risk his life, however cancer and Alzhiemers are an extreme risk to McCain and this country.

As others and i have pointed out, we run the risk of electing a fading man, someone who's mind is losing its edge, and someone who runs the risk of leading this country further into debt and war.

However we have the option of electing a man with a good economical plan, a good diplomatic plan, and a good plan for this country. America needs to learn that we can't take on the world, and believe it or not, we have to have allies.

July 28, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  14. Sabrina in Los Angeles

All those years of Cindy using the Celphalon (aluminum) pans is starting to take a toll on his memory.

I think the shin cancer is just an outward sign about his health being an issue.

His health is very important and he needs to be more forthright about it.

July 28, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  15. Thomas

This is just one more strike in a whole book of concerns regarding not only McCain's physical health, but also his mental health, which both seem negatively affected by his advanced age. I mean no offense to the Senator, but America has to take in account not only the Political views of its future President, but also the health of its future leaders. A four-time melanoma cancer survivor is just not our best option for a healthy President. I think voting for McCain is running the risk of truly electing his running mate, whoever he decides that should be.

Earlier this week their were articles criticizing an article from the AP which trailed Obama to the gym, referring to how he didn't sweat when he worked out, and the frivolousness of these facts, but in reality, it points out a very important thing: Obama is a HEALTHY candidate. America should take this into consideration at the polls in addition to the political issues.

July 28, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  16. Tom

This evening (7/28/08) on AC360, why did guest host Cambell Brown cut off David Gergen when he started talking about today's poll that showed McCain ahead? Gergen's face showed evident displeasure from being essentially told to keep a lid on the point he was making about believing or rather not believing polls.

Campbell interrupted him by saying that she planned on talking about that later. However, when she did get around to that later, the poll cited earlier by Gergen was never mentioned again, instead she only referred to the other poll that showed Obama leading.

Is this another sign that Campbell's reporting is biased for Obama and against McCain? Sounds like it to me - and I saw it play out in brilliant video right in front of my eyes, so noone can convince me differently.

July 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  17. Will in California

Hi Ms. Miller, good evening to ya.

What criticisms I've heard so far are so weak, it makes me question those critics' own reasoning. Isn't McCain wearing a suit and cap, which covers 95% of the skin on his body? What makes you critics think that he didn't put sunscreen only on his face and hands? That oil pump behind him should send a silent message that such contraptions don't look menacing; and that since oil got us into this problem, for now, more oil is the easiest way to get us out (with the help of alternative energy sorurces).

July 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Florence

I pray that if Macain wins this election that he does not become diagnosed with Alzeimers disease.This man is just too old and out of touch.

July 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  19. sara b garcia

being careful is an asset for older person and Mc Cain is no different.
    Obama is acting like a child before Christmas.

July 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. lampe

McCain will be just fine. His mind is just as good, if not better than Obamas. Obama is a young man who can't remember what he voted for or against. And he has already changed his mind on promises he made against HRC. Donald I would hate to be you if you lead your so-called 3000 followers, down the wrong path, by following a liar. You will really be a trusted leader than. Anyone with half a brain will vote for the trusted and proven John McCain.

July 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Donald

I think we are all sounding like little kids incuding myself. Obama this, McCain that. I just thought about one these guy will be running this country. We all need to forget about the media , Republican , Democratic and think about our kids and the elderly people who are depending on us. We need to demand that both of these canidates be honest and admit when they are wrong. Our history show that we can survive and be the best country in this world. We owe it to all tha people who has fought and died for this great country.

July 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Christine

You all make a big deal about McCain getting a mole removed, but where is the coverage about Obama going to the hospital for his hip? i know a few people who have had hip replacement as young as 40. Maybe CNN should look into if their boy might need replacement. Not something we need in a president.

July 28, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  23. Donald

@Paula (what) are talking about.

July 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  24. Donald

Maybe McCain will not blame the growth removal on Obama. Heblame him for everything else that happen. I wish he would talk about something else besides Obama. I was not going to vote for OBama until McCain continue To talk about him so I started paying to Obama and now I like him. Thanks McCain for helping me change my mind. I will campaign for Obama now and I normally speak to an audience of three thousand people per week they trust me and I trust Obama. He will do very well in my area.

July 28, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

It would be very revealing to see if the candidates are tied to any special interests etc. in their fund raising. I was disappointed that Obama did not stay with the public funding of 89 million that he had said he would – I realize from a business perspective that if he could get more money by raising the money himself that it made more sense for him to do that – but it doesn't really lend itself to an even playing ground

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 28, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  26. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

As a patient with basal cell carcinoma nevus syndrome, I do have health issues on an ongoing basis BUT to suggest it is something to abort any political aspirations is nonsensical!! All the citizenry have the right to participate in the democratic process!! To put it bluntly, there are many 'healthy' people who make worse case candidates!! It gives one an experience some others can only speak of in a non personal way!! He has the right to run!!
    I disagree with his politics BUT give the man his right to be a candidate!!

July 28, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  27. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

McCain used to fight Washington and it's big business and lobbyist influences............but not anymore...........he has been broken and has given in to the corruption of it all. We don't need a Washington insider as President. We need Barack Obama..........

Obama 08

July 28, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  28. Larry

America will not elect an old geezer with a body racked with cancer. His time as a pow has left him with a prolonged neurological impairment.

America will elect a middle-aged guy who tries to pass for a 20 something. Dreams from My Father, now there's a best-selling work of fiction; anybody ever try to track down his buddies from Oxy ( see Chapter 5)?
    If Obama cannot beat the worst ever republican nominee, even my dog could beat McCain, then we are a lot of trouble.

Anyway, I'm voting for Ron Paul.

July 28, 2008 at 8:54 pm |
  29. Paula from Georgia

Why don't you guys just let Obama's talking points are very good. The first thing you have done is making him going to a doctor a big deal. McCain should and I hope he learns, you guys intend make something sound like a gaffe. Like today. he was given facts that the Dems, have not put forward any bill to bring relief immediately to the gas prices in any form. Obama and the Dems have said NO. I don't know About you, Federal tax relief on gas with state relief on the gas tax would make a difference. My state just raised our state gas taxes at the pump. Just a few more cents in my pocket would add up to a dollar or two I didn't have to pay.

July 28, 2008 at 8:50 pm |
  30. Mary Broussard

It's not John McCain's skin I'm worried about. It's his brain, and I'm not being facetious. He is showing signs of early senile dementia: talking about the border between Pakistan and Iraq, repeating himself, not being able to answer questions that require quick thinking. I don't want anything nasty made of this, but I think there should be serious investigative reporting. Ronald Reagan's Alzheimer's was just beginning to be noticed by the time he left office. McCain might be coming in at that level. Then what?

July 28, 2008 at 8:43 pm |