July 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/25/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Tonight John King fills in for Anderson. Be sure to check out Erica Hill on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ebony

It sounds like a great program. Giving hope to the hopelessness! I'm proud of the gentleman for trying to make his life better!

July 25, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Will in California.....
    I agree with you........ you have a good point.

July 25, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Jake

That brawl was crazy! It sad to think that games reach that point. The commentators were showing other altercations in other professional sports and possible results from those fights. The examples these atheletes present are terrible. Do we have a double standard for our professional athletes?

July 25, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Heather Spokane, WA

Its sad that atheletes cannot pose themselves anymore when they are playing a sport and have to resolve to fighting with each other. What are they sending to kids? What happened to sportsmanship? And what is it about atheletes beating up on their own fans? The sports world needs to start punishing these atheletes more now even if it involves the law

July 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Basebrawl, nothing like seeing grown men throw all principle out the window. I'm surprised they're not still going at it

July 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Gary

We have a long time before November. The polls will continue to rock and roll until Obama finally has the guts to debate McCain in a town hall meeting.

July 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Will in California

The ball player should be banned from playing American baseball for life; then deported, and pay monetary compensation. Many ball players can easily dole out money to bail them out of trouble. Luckily, it was an adult who got hit and that the ball didn't cave-in the head of a child who just wanted to spend a nice day watching his favorite sport with his loved ones. How much worse would it have been of the child was rooting for the rogue player's team?

July 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Jeff. he will be deported and suspend his passport too. that is felony that is battery assault against fan!

July 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Janna

The look on the other player's faces when they saw him throw that ball.."oh no, you didn't!" then just dived on him...pretty funny

July 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Emmanuel

Erica, I have to say I totally agree with you and I can't wait to see the VP picks for both parties.

July 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hockey I can understand, but not baseball. You know the saying: I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

July 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. johncnn

kevin and hilary are good sports spending some time on friday night with us - and debating with good vigor but also good humor.

July 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Jolene

Erica, you are so right. Very busy 3 months for sure. For me, who the candidates select for VP will most likely be my deciding factor.

July 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  14. kim-chicago

I just don't think the republican "mantra" is going to work this time...the last eight years have been a nightmare and when voters are fueling their cars to get to the polling places I think reality will hit them...

July 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I'm still grossed out about the guy using white-out in his mouth!

July 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Cindy

WOW..what a brawl!! I can't believe that mess! All for what!? That was dumb.

Cindy...Ga.

July 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Emmanuel

Erica, I have to say that I totally agree with I can wait to see the VP picks for both parties.

July 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Gina - Missouri

Erica, I am in a toss-up state too, however I think McCain is just scary!

July 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

Wild ride on Quantas. I'm glad everyone made it back safe.

@ Stacy I think McCain is getting pressed on all fronts about defining victory.

Hillary Rosen is right, right now Obama is right in the sweet spot. John McCain still has a shot though, definitely. Strong candidate.

July 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  20. ericacnn

Jolene, I believe there are a large number of voters also in a "toss up" right now – esp as polls close in and when you take the margin of error into account.

it's going to be a busy three months!!

July 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Heidi, Lou.Ky

this is the best part in baseball ,

July 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Ebony

I don't think we can take the polls too serious right now! A lot of people that I know are definitely going to support Obama but are basically not following what is going on right now! I know when the time get's closer Obama will pull ahead handily!

July 25, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Jolene

John King, thanks for that summary of the electoral votes and the map. Very interesting. I live in one of those "toss up" states and I'm still "tossed" as to which candidate to vote for.

July 25, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Thompson

Is the temperament of a president important. Can someone whose temper gets the better of him when he's down be trusted with running the greatest country in the world?

July 25, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Jake

The white-out drinking was almost too riduculous to believe.

July 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Lani In California

See what I mean, Obama has the lead on the electoral map, but he's the one with the problem. Go figure?

July 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

John, Obama's numbers have slipped a lot. He led by 8 in the poll of polls two weeks ago. Now it's only 3. If he stays in Europe another few days, McCain may catch up.

July 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you bloggers!
    I don't believe my eyes to watch drunk man use white out put his face. ewww!

July 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Cindy

It seems to me that Obama's trip didn't help him. John is moving up in the polls!!

Cindy...Ga.

July 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Emmanuel

It's not that I think Obama is against surges but I think he feel that the Iraq war was a bad decision from the beginning. No matter what questions reporters ask McCain he routes every question to the surge. What about the war itself? It was not a good war and its not a favorable war among the American people or the world.

July 25, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Jolene

McCain says how he feels. This is why his campaign is called the "straight talk express". Some may appreciate this and some may not.

July 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Saera El Paso, TX

i've never seen anyone drink white-out before...
    how would that help anything?

July 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Michelle Kucuk, NY

How is possible Obama is not winning in a landslide? That disturbs me! I am so afraid if McCain wins.

July 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. mollie

there's a lot of people along the mississippi river that don't have drinking water, so i hope that gets cleaned quick. and so my beloved mississippi river can get back to normal. 🙂

July 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  35. kim-chicago

The surge is only part of the equation...of course if you put more troops in the area just the sheer numbers will improve the situation.

July 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. lindy

linda, i agree with you. mr mccain is acting like a grumpy old man. i am sure he is wishing he could generate the crowds obama does and has some of the charisma of mr obama has.

July 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Heather Spokane, WA

Drinking White-Out! How gross! Drunks are so stupid.

July 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Gina - Missouri

Can you believe that guy drank wipe-out??

July 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Ken

I think it is safe to say that air liner flew on THE WINGS OF AN ANGEL.

July 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Janna

Jolene, I think Obama opposed the surge in Iraq because he opposes that war. He sees the Afghanistan war as more valid AND he is responding to the recent violence there, in my opinion

July 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

I agree, McCain has been hammering away at Obama all week but not gaining ground. The surge has helped it had to, but the question about timetables is falling right into Obama's lap

July 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar

Oh no! I can't watch brawl to fight each other league major......... I hate that!!!!!! made me so embarrased right now.

July 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Cindy

I can't believe that Hillary Rosen said that the troops didn't care if Obama visited them. Is she kidding herself!? Has anyone asked them?

Cindy...Ga.

July 25, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. stephie (Mannheim, Ger.)

Yes, a nice trip of Obama. But many Europeans see it as a little bit over the top. It was too much show and the speech was a little boring, lacking any contents. They just wanted to see such a show live.

July 25, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Lena. Canada

Lori – I'm with you, I definitely second your sentiments.

The other thing that McCain said which is totally disingenuous and totally un-American and un-patriotic is that he says “Sen. Obama would rather loose a war to win a Campaign”. That is the most despicable stance any American could take let alone a sitting Senator and one who is running for Office of the President.

July 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Ken

Senator McCain can only complain and sound bitter at the fact that they set a trap for Obama to go overseas and it backfired in their face. Now he has crossed the line by claiming that Obama is willing to lose a war for the sake of winning a campaign. Most disrespectful of him and yet Obama has held himself about that kind of criticism

July 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Shannon

Obama visited wounded troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. This story has no legs!

July 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Failing in Iraq? What a ridiculous statement. Obama 'failure' to acknowledge the success of the surge is pure politics. Shame on him.

July 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Jolene

I'm confused. So Obama wants more troops in Afghanistan, is that not considered a surge? Is it that Obama doesn't think surges work in general or just the surge in Iraq did not work?

July 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Emma

I don't think McCain is criticizing Obama for visiting foreign countries. McCain is probably just frustrated by the media's obsessive coverage of the trip. Personally, I think Obama is getting a little ahead of himself. He's negotiating with leaders as though he has already won this election.

July 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |