July 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/25/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Tonight John King fills in for Anderson. Be sure to check out Erica Hill on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Steve in Thailand

The super-sized arrogance of Obama is just breathtaking. At the Elysee press conference, he takes it on himself to warn "my good friend" President Sarkosy about the questions from US reporters............. a man he just met less than an hour before. The speech in Berlin was plain embarrassing: "Thank you, Berlin" ? Does this guy think he's Bono?

July 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Stacy

McCain sure likes to talk about defeat, but I have yet to hear him define victory. I wish someone would press him on that.

July 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Jean Barker

How refreshing to see a representative of the USA not being the target of protesters, but instead seeming to represent what is the best part of America. I'm glad I am for Obama and will be eagerly awaiting my chance to vote for him. I am white, female and over 80,
    something the polls think puts me in a pocket for J. McCain.

July 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Rodney

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, thats Obama. If he would have gone out oif the country and fell all over himself McCain and the Right would have jumped all over him. Doing a good job (which he did) he is up staging the president. Where is the line for this man? Why can't he be measured by the same measure used for Mr. McCain

July 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Norma

If McCain knows the Prime Minster of Iraq so well..then he should know he wants us out. Why is he agruing the point???

July 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Shannon

I love that McCain is flipping to Obama's position on 16 months.

July 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Heather Spokane, WA

@Carla, I think McCain is running scared because he realizes that everyone is right about needing a change and that he will not win the campaign

July 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Katrina-North Carolina

Lani, I hesitate to say this, but the standard seems to be much higher for Barack because of his heritage. He is damned if he does and damned if her doesn't. I think he represented our country eloquently and I will be pleased with him when he becomes president.

July 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Elisabeth Ockeloen

I just heard John McCain say that he knows how to catch Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice. If he knows how, why hasn't he shared that information with the government? Doesn't he have an obligation to do so?

July 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  10. susann

It made me so proud to see Obama on his trip. He's shown dignity and character and the world waits for us to have enough sence to elect him President as Mc Cain fumbles making a fool of himself trying to counter Obama's great reception abroad.

July 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Is there any doubt that McCains position on the presence of US troops is based on conditions? Obama has a timeline regardless of conditions. What is so hard about this?

July 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  12. carla

What is the big deal about this trip.. It seems that the mccain camp and followers are running scare. Mcain is boring.

July 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Lori Zibel

I cannot stand the way that John McCain talks about Obama.

It is so condescending and sarcastically rude.

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Benard Onyango

I don't know what you guys think but Obama is soooo presidential. MCcain is behaving like a grumpy old man.

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Heather Spokane, WA

McCain really needs a new speech, or he needs to fire his speech writer.

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Linda Powell - Singapore

If John McCain could draw huge crowds he would have done the same thing as Obama. McCain isn't nearly as talented as Obama. He doesn't have the same judgement as Obama, that's why our country is in this mess!

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Michelle Kucuk, NY

I am a Democrat. I voted for Obama in the primaries. I hope that all that he is saying he means and is not jut politics. I feel McCain has turned into a pompous, etc. these days. I liked him 2000, but he is so different, arrogant and somewhat nasty. I pray that he does not win.

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  18. ericacnn

Hi, John and bloggers - pic looks good, JK!

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Norma

One thing McCain forgets about the SURGE it also killed alot of our U.S soldiers.

July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  20. lynn

TConsidering all the places he has been and all the leaders and reporters he has has to speak to, he has not only had a successful trip he has demonstrated incredible stamina.

July 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Hi John King, Erica, everybody blogging. This is a far flung campaign trip by Sen. Obama. Has the feel of a world tour, even if you wonder about it, it sort of sweeps you up.

July 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Mike, Syracuse, NY

John, that's interesting and way more appropriate than the fawning in France and Germany. It is also much more impartial. Leave it to our best allies to get it right. I've served with British naval officers, and they are they are great.

July 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Gina - Missouri

No matter what he did or did not do in visiting the troops he would have been criticized. I'm glad the French get along with him, where would we have been in WWII without the French?

July 25, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Heather Spokane, WA

How can a hole in a plane be considered terrorism if its on the outside and the hole happened while in the air? What happened to just freak accidents?

July 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Lani In California

Gary, why did McCain challenge Obama to visit these foreign countries and then criticize him for/while doing it?

July 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Jolene

The base "brawl" as it is being called is simply ludicrous. It's amazing what a bunch of dudes with bad tempers can do!

July 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Gary

I disagree with the idea that President Bush has made a mess of things. This is nothing but liberal talking points that people pick up on. Senator Obama has no right to be negotiating for this country. We have one President only. I would have more respect for Obama if he went over seas to listen, observe and learn. Instead he is campaigning for "world" support for him.

July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Cynthia

Of late on the news all I have heard Senator McCain do is attack Senator Obama. I saw him in a grocery store standing by the cheese, at one of his town hall meetings and on his CNN interview. There are more issues to be discussed other than whether the surge worked or not.

July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Janna

Interesting that this trip hasn't changed the polls....I mean, McCain's reaction to it should have cost him a few points

July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  30. johncnn

i can see a lively group here. no D list jokes because i am following of kathy griffin!!

the protocol at 10 downing street is interesting – and they are very strict about it. obama can get a photo op inside – but not greeting at the door from the PM because that is saved for visiting heads of state.

being live from outside that door for the first time was a trip after so many years standing in front of the white house. i was joking with candy that madame prime minister has a ring to it.

July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Lani In California

If Obama had gone to visit the soldiers, he would have been criticized. I don't understand why the standard is so much higher for Obama than McCain. McCain should be beating the pants off of Obama. Can someone tell me why this isn't happening?

July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Gary. You're right. McCain has been adressing issues at town hall meetings. The only sound bites that make the news are when he criticizes Obama.

July 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Shannon

Obama did a wonderful job this week! He hasn't walked over the line, he was very respectful

July 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Cynthia

I think that Senator Obama's trip overseas was a success. The U.S. needs allies and regardless of what you may think of him and Pres. Bush has sorta made a mess of things.

July 25, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Heather Spokane, WA

I think Barack Obama did a great job representing the U.S during his trip and I think he will hold good as president.

July 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Gary

Senator McCain is speaking to the issues. He is going around the country holding town hall meetings. The fact is that Obama is changing his positions and Senator McCain needs to point that out. Obama seems to be running around the world acting like he is already President.

July 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar

I saw Obama and French president talking to all the reporters at new conference in Paris.

July 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Jolene

Hello John King! It seems like a long time since we've seen you and the Magic Wall! Interesting that Obama canceled visiting troops overseas. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

July 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama has been endorsed by the French. If I didn't know anything else about him, that's enough to vote for McCain.

July 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Sheree

Cynthia I agree...I want to know why should I vote for you not why I should vote for the other candiate

July 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama couldn't bring the horde of reporters, so he didn't want to meet with the troops.

July 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Cynthia

Hi John, it has been a while. Senator McCain needs to speak on the issues rather than attacking. That is a huges turnoff.

July 25, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Missy

John, great to see you back on tonight. Looking forward to the program.

July 25, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I hate to fly, now I know why.

July 25, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Heather Spokane, WA

Good evening everyone, welcome John

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Hannah Storm

happy friday all!!!

Nice to see you in the anchor chair tonight John

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Cindy

John...glad to have you back subbing!!

I hope you all are doing the story about the Qantas jet getting a hole blown in it's fuselage in flight! That had to be scary!

Cindy...Ga.

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo John, Erica, and best bloggers!!!!
    I saw on CNN on website last night and the crew of Qantas Jumbo flew on the way to Australia about 29,000 feet and flew drop around 10,000 feet & It hit a big massive hole right side above engine and tried to land in Manila to safe all the passages on the board. they wore a mask right away. I like to thank you the pilot who landed safety!! They are so miracle!!! (sigh)

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Tracey - Boston

Hi Everyone, John and Erica,

HA

I think it's so funny that Anderson is not on tonight!!! It's like he is avoiding Kathy Griffin

BTW: I think she does a great job as a host.

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. johncnn

hello everyone - been a while for me.

fun show tonight – a lot of time hearing directly from the candidates - and just 100 days to go. but who's counting!

July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |