July 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/24/08

We are on at a special time again tonight 11p ET, after the "Black in America" documentary. Anderson will talk with CNN's Soledad O'Brien and several of the people profiled tonight.

We'll also have tonight's headlines. Check out what else is the program in Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 1045p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Norma

Wow...I can't believe that man had 10 kids and didn't raise any of them.

July 24, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  2. nicholas nguyen

I am so proud as an American today watching Senator Obama in Berlin. It was a great moment. That is what America is about!!! Lovin' it.

July 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Linda, Los Angeles

It is very true, you have a choice. Draw the line and just do it. You do what you can, the best you can.

July 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Shaura

Black in America Parts I and II was excellent. It is amazing the connection that so many of the people interviewed had with one another and to those of the past. I will be getting a copy of this documentary and playing this for my middle school teaching staff so they can understand better the lives of the families of the children they teach. I can't wait for the sequel that gives the solution to all of the intriguing insight that was given.

July 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  5. Cindy

These women are ridiculous having all of these kids with different men. That is the problem. These women let the men get away with doing nothing. Instead of forcing them to pay child support they let them do as they please and still hang around and sleep with them. That is stupid!

Then they are just as bad as the guys sleeping around and having kid after kid.

Cindy...Ga.

July 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  6. sarah B....Durham,NC

if a man cannot fulfill the "Provider" role for a family...then make a mature decision before hand....it is about taking responsibility for your actions...BOTH the mother and the father....he has another child with someone else...now she is have twins with another person...people should be held Accountable for their Actions...if they want to Change...they have to commit to it..and do works towards it...and show their children...and pass that on through the generations...

July 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Adrienne

Thank you Solidad, what a great documentary. Thank you for the stories that you were able to tell. We know that there are a lot more stories like the stories you reported on. We are glad that you were able to tell these stories.

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  8. Michael

If you have never been taught how to be a good father, how do you learn? I believe you can still do it, but man the odds are against you.

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  9. Janna

I was amazed that Soledad was able to even get an interview with Brandon! He knows he dropping the ball and still was going on national television...wow

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Melissa Mitchell

AC, you mentioned that you were surprised that DL Hughley talked to his son about how to talk to the police if he is pulled over. I've had the same conversation with my son. I always told him to say "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" and if there is a problem, I've told him to memorize the badge number not to write it down in the presence of the officer. The main purpose of that conversation was to keep him ALIVE!

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  11. Maureen T

Anderson,
    that young man, Brandon, had every excuse in the book. I'm sad that he will not get an opportunity to know his children!...Whatever happened to birth control?

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  12. Greg

I always trust the police. White or black. I don't commit crime. To Protect and to Serve.

July 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  13. Tinu, Florida

Being fatherless, is not an excuse for not succeeding in life. An Uncle did not have his father around and became a Dr. I just think that the concept of the village raising a child is lost and we no longer think as a community and as such we care less for one another. I am raising 2 children after my divorce and they are well-adjusted and smart kids. The problem stems from us not instilling in our children the hope and allowing them to dream and fulfill those dreams. The perception of us as Black Americans in American can be change if we could care more about the success of our children and our legacy.

July 24, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  14. Davien

Hughley's right........I dont trust the police white or black.....do you think that black officers struggle with their job?

July 24, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  15. Candace, Atlanta

McCain is a cry baby. All week long he has been complaining. He is jealous of Obama. He can't get a crowd to come out as large as Obama's. And the people of America is tired of hearing it. Just because he has millitary experience does not entitle him to become the next President.

July 24, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why blame Brandon and not Tina too. She has one illegitimate child with one boyfriend, now is expecting twins with another. Hasn't she heard of birth control?

July 24, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  17. Liz... Lake Worth, FL

Hi Anderson,
    I would like to congratulate Soledadon an amazing documentary. It's hard to see what our black community is STILL going through. It's time for a change; though not president YET Obama is going to change this country. 🙂

July 24, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  18. kim-chicago

There is something interesting about this series running at the same time we are watching Barack Obama campaign. Maybe being "Black in America" soon will be a very different story...we can only "HOPE"

July 24, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  19. Shaura

I think Obama's speech was timely and serves as an excellent representation of what he will be like as president. He has innovative ideas that he doesn't hesitate to express. Why should he wait until he becomes president to say what needed to be said long ago. It makes no sense for the U.S. to be the main "life savers" and the other countries just sit back and watch. Let's watch as so many people try to downplay his actions but yet take his ideas and make them the new policies and efforts.

July 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  20. Amina from TN

i enjoyed the program tonight and last night.

hughley is right there is no way in trusting policemen. especially when you are a minority. i remember watching the local news here in nashville and seeing a video of a policeman searching a minority man that he had stop and as he searches him he takes out a bag of drugs out of his poket and slips it in the man's pocket and the man yells that is not his. it was caught on police tape... sad very sad

July 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  21. Rolan

Excellent series! As I've grown older I come to realize that White America doesn't really know Black America. Documentary pieces like this one, which show the spectrum of conditions, possibilities, choices and consequences can bring about communication. That communication in turn brings about an education. Education leads to knowledge, which brings us to equality. Let's start.

July 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  22. Cynthia

Mike, Syracuse, NY. What about the one guy who was having a hard time finding a job whose job was lost due to his company moving.

July 24, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  23. CaseyJPS

Ray W>”…what incentive is there for the average black male to obtain legitimate employment rather than drug dealing?”

How about knowing the difference between right and wrong?

July 24, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS

Quite frankly, I don't trust the police either.

July 24, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  25. Maureen T

Anderson,
    thanks for giving D.L. Hughley an opportunity to have his say. I have a lot of respect for that man!

July 24, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  26. Michael Alford

The fact that D. L. is around to talk to his son and is preparing him for manhood is a real testament to his character. There are far too few of us trying to prepare our sons to become men in the world.

July 24, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  27. Crystal - Mississippi

The black men in my family are Pro-football players, pastors, business owners, military commanders, and so on. Tonight I love what CNN has done a great job. I am proud of the men in my family, and will continue to produce great men and women.

July 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Many of the issues addressed in Part 2 seem to be the result of personal choice. The discussion of how police treat blacks is the exception. I'll have to ask my police officer daughter what she does.

July 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  29. Sharon

Hello Anderson and Erica

The documentary "Black in America was long over due. The Americans who wake up everyday without a care in the world need to wake up and smell the coffee. Being "Black in America" as far as this documentary is concern is for real, it's everyday life for a lot of blacks. Instead of keeping the realization of being "Black in America" pushed under the carpet, these documentaries should be pushed in the face of Americans more often.
    Great job Soledad.

July 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  30. kenya

I thought that the show was good and very enlightening but I was still a little upset about it. Not everybody grows up in the projects and lives in a single family home. I think that they should have showed more successful educated people. We are all not drop outs and running the streets. We are successful people also. The show was awsome. That was my only flaw.

July 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  31. Tammie

I grew up as a black girl in a two-parent home and still caught hell. My mother and stepfather were poor and did not finish high school. There was abuse and addiction. It was a very unstable environment. Some of my classmates fared better b/c they had one loving, committed parent. I wished the documentary had focused more on the effect violence in the home has on problems in the black community.

July 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  32. Linda Elsen

I am really starting to get a headache from all of the negative comments Mc Cain makes about O'Bama. Every speech is filled with O'Bama slams. This kind of campaigning sure does not give people an uplifting feeling about the world. It does not give hope. It does not unite people. I want to hear he cares about his fellow Americans and their needs not just O'bama, O'Bama, O'Bama O'bama.

July 24, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  33. deborah, OH

The FLDS story just keeps getting worse....now organized crime?? Hope the children are doing ok.

July 24, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  34. Jennifer

It's really unfortunate that the children of the FDLS have to be put on national TV in the middle of this horrifically revealing event, but to tell you the truth, I feel the coverage should speak more about how there was physical abuse in the way of domestic violence. That shows further how deep the evil went in this community.

July 24, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  35. James

I too feel very proud to be an American after seeing the images of Obama in Berlin. It reminded me of a time when people around the world looked up to America as a world leader and made me see this could be possible again. Previously I had doubts. It shouldn't matter if your a Republican or Democrat I think it is obvious to anyone with eyes ears and a brain that he is the best representation for America at home or abroad.

This speach today made me feel that with this much good will around the world, him becoming President could really turn our economy around and the state of our dollar.

July 24, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  36. Michael ...Atlanta, Ga

Bravo!!! Cnn,Soledad I applaud you for bringing uch a creat documentary to the air. Hopefully this will enlighten people to the struggles we face as African Americans on a daily basis. Obama is a perfect example of what we can achive as an African American coming from a single parent home...

Michael

July 24, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  37. Kim

Why have we tolerated polygamy and underage marriages in this country for so long? Why is abuse under the umbrella of religion tolerated?

July 24, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  38. Monique

I enjoyed the two-day documentary. However, as an African-American I found the issues discussed a bit surface in nature. With that said, I do understand the challenges associated with addressing complex and overarching problems while relying on personal narratives to illustrate really difficult issues. It is my hope that this documentary will be the catalyst for an honest dialogue across generations in the Black community and across cultural lines in America. I appauld Soledad's thoughfulness, candidness, and CNN's courage.

July 24, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  39. Ron

Outstanding Job with the documentary, but It left me with a sickening feeling in my stomarch since I am bi-racial(Black & White),and I'm going through similar situations right now.

Why does it seems so hard for succesful people like D.L Hugly & Magic Johnson and others to put our money togetter and get to working in our communities?

I'm proud of all the accomblishments D.L. hugley did. Keep up the good work.

July 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  40. Paulette-NJ

Thank you CNN for a candid look at being Black in America. Soledad you hit a homerun in portraying Blacks who are working in corporate America, have families and only want the best for their families. You also showed us those who are working but cannot make ends meet.. Ending the show with Michael Eric Dyson and his brother really brought the point across. Blacks in America have all types of experiences. Now that the issues have been aired, all races need to dialogue, come together and bring about a change.

July 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  41. Clayton Bigsby

Often times, as a young Black man, my existence is personified as an monolithic one. Black people, Blck men, or any race for that matter, are not all one way, do not live as the same, eat the same, speak the same or present themselves in the general public in the same manner.

The sad part is that this even has to be said. But, perpetuation of stereotype sells magazines, raises ratings, offers increased opportunity to grow the criminal justice industrial complex & sloowly strangles what little hope exists in many community for any modicum of success in a place often called Land of The Thief, Home of The Slave...

July 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  42. Fay, CA

The Black in America special was well done and I applaud CNN for their effort in presenting this important series, but I have to agree with George Theophile's comment–I would've have liked to have seen more black male success stories incorporated into the special–there ARE many of these stories out there–I know plenty of successful, educated black men who are doing well and it would be nice if more of their stories were told along with the stories of black men who continue to struggle or who have made bad choices in their lives.

July 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  43. Ty in Louisiana

Thank you for the documentary about being black in America. I have three sons and I tell them all the time, you have one strike against you as it is and I want you to exceed the barriers ahead of you and do the best you can in anything you do.

Now with the Obama speech, he did very well and I believe he will give America what we really need as a people, no matter the race.

July 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  44. Yolanda Wms

I loved Barack Obama's speech in Berlin. We need more people to like Obama to clean up our image with the world. McCain should be more upset with his campaign staff for not coming up with the idea of a world tour. American's would pay more attention to McCain if wasn't talking so much about continuing this deadly war. Why doesn't he feel that enough lives have been lost. Whether it be American lives or citizens lives in Iraq.

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

I would definitely watch Parts 3 & 4 if they want to make them. The black experience cannot be summed up in 2 parts, but Soledad did an awesome job getting as much in as she did.

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  46. Maureen T

The lawyer who represents the FLDS is kind of creepy looking. Just an observation!

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  47. deborah, OH

The fact that Obama's speech probably restored some goodwill to this country is awesome! It was a 'feel-good' moment for me as an American–it's been a loooong time coming.

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  48. angie in pa

I think senator obamas speech was great it was nice to see europe embracing him like that, Even though they cant vote in the general election they probably have family and friends here in this country that can vote for him. Having senator obama as president will really restore our respect and dignity we have lost!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  49. Greg

This polygamy story is a smaller issue to the lack of leadership by the Dem's today when it came to drilling. Why isn't that story being covered. There was the real story in Congress today

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  50. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, Black in America is on at 9pm out here in the wild, wild west. Hopefully many in Pacific time will watch this good program in prime time out here.

July 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm |