July 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/24/08

We are on at a special time again tonight 11p ET, after the "Black in America" documentary. Anderson will talk with CNN's Soledad O'Brien and several of the people profiled tonight.

We'll also have tonight's headlines. Check out what else is the program in Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 1045p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dorell

Great job! My husband and I watched it with our "tween-er" son. We had great discussions that provided our son a better understanding about being a black male. Thank you!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

My jaw nearly dropped when one of the people interviewed said slavery was to blame for all the absent fathers. That was 7 generations ago.

July 24, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  3. Keisha, Atlanta

Thank you so much for the series, "Black in America." My eyes filled with tears so many times last night as you presented the realities that I sometimes choose to forget. It was a very accurate overall view of what black Americans experience. Every area was covered and I don't think you could have done any better. I would love to see a follow-up to this in two or three years (especially to track the progress of the children). Thanks again & Keep up the good work!

July 24, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  4. Abayomi

This series was excellent. Not enough time in forum to discuss how informative, and how much growth is needed in America on all fronts of the issues.

July 24, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  5. Rhonda

As a retired female NYC Police Officer I can agree with D.L. Hugley's comments regarding teaching his son what to do if he ever encountered the police. I too, told my sons the same thing. Living in Queens, N.Y. during the time when P.O. Byrne was killed in Queens, N.Y. the police were staging an all out war for Black males. I told my sons (during that particular time) if you have to take a bus and you miss the bus, don't run to try and catch it....let it go and wait for another one. Because to the police, you running down the street means (to them) you must have just robbed someone and you did something bad or committed some crime. Whereas some white person running down the street, means they're trying to catch a bus and running late for some appointment or whatever. Same situation, different colors.

July 24, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  6. Ressie

Nothing opens the eyes of a mother until she has sons. Kudos to CNN. Some of the subjects covered by this series touch us mothers to the quick.

July 24, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everybody blogging. I liked the second part of Black in America, too. I think better public schools would be helpful to everyone in this country. I don't like to see young people or anyone missing out on learning. Everyone has a thirst for knowledge and understanding.

July 24, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  8. Lynn

I completely agree with the idea that darker skinned black people are treated differently than lighter skinned black people. Even as a black woman, in the summer when I am darker other black people treat me differently and say negative things. Darker skinned black men are also targeted if they have more "ethnic" sounding names. I know people who name their children "normal" first names and the more cultural names as middle names so that in their opinion, their children can get jobs as young black adults in America. I think that people should be able to be culturally expressive if they choose to.

July 24, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  9. ericacnn

thanks for being with us tonight, bloggers ~ i'm glad many of you watched soledad's docimentary. if anyone missed it, cnn will re-air "black in america" this wkd

July 24, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  10. Cynthia

Let's hope with the response received that CNN will start on series 3 & 4.

July 24, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Tim, Mississippi

Great documentary. It would be great to see a yearly update; especially if Obama become President.

July 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  12. Glenda

Obama gave an excellent speech ; all nations need to work together to solve some of these complex problems. McCain did not realize that Obama would be well received and would look so presidential. Remember he wanted Obama to go overseas; be careful for what you ask for!

July 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  13. Bryan Keeler

The documentary was outstanding and sheds light on what it is like to be an African- American male. There will be some people that will not understand the importance of the program, but there will be many that will. If we know people fear what they don't understand, I have to commend CNN on making the attempt to inform. Maybe this will help other nationalities further understand some of the ideas of Barrack Obama, and make him a more realistic candidate. There are some things about black america that can't be told. They must be illustrated. Keep up the good work!!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  14. Marie

Yes, I do agree that Soledad has done an awesome job!!!!! ...and you are right Anderson, one documentary could never tell all of our stories. Hats off to CNN for running the story and you for giving us another voice.

July 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS

I don't think McCain gets the press coverage Obama gets (overseas) because he's just not inspiring or energizing. When I try to imagine the perception of other countries I can only think they look at McCain and see the same old approach they've seen for years and years from the U.S.

July 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  16. Sabrina Edwards

Hello, I love the storyteller or poetic guy who does the intros, I'm touched throughout the series, and I can relate to so many of the stories, especially the absent fathers. More than a few times I have been brought to tears, will you do follow ups on the single mother with five children who was about to move to a different house, and the baby girl whose father showed up late to the birthday party, and the mother is now pregnant with twins. I'm thinking about changing my ways as far as how I parent my children, and to make better choices when it comes to my health, including smoking. Thanx Soledad and Cnn. Sabrina Edwards,MN

July 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  17. Amy Mapp from Alabama

Tonight's segment was the raw truth but this truth was very depressing. When tonight's bleak truth about black men is coupled with last night's bleak truth about black women, I find the future of black people troubling. Is there no solution?

July 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

Wow!!!!
    That is so bad damage all over the town during hurricane Dolly!!!!!! I saw yatch (big boat) just almost overtop........ My hearts go to all South Texas.......

July 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  19. Lawrence

Hi Anderson. Thanks for your support. I would like to make a comment on the Obama trip to Europe. It was John MCCain tand his campaign hat suggested (in a belittling way) that Barack Obama take this trip to europe. He cried when Barack stated we need to settle our problems here!, and now he is crying when Barack is getting such a warm welcome. What gives? I'll tell you. If Obama could win in Europe, why couldn't he win in America. America needs Barack Obama. John MCCain is a good guy, but, not the inspirational icon this country needs in these trying times. Thanks a bunch!

Lawrence in San Diego

July 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  20. CasandraRoache

Soledad hit a home run showing Micheal Eric Dyson’s story. It goes to show that the best of us can have issues. Everyone has issues but you can still overcome and move beyond circumstances to excel.

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  21. Celeste

i wish i could be a part of these polls that indicate mccain is catching up....

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  22. Jolene

I still think that Obama going overseas was more stepping on Bush's toes regardless of whether it was a successful trip or not. He is NOT the President yet.

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  23. Jerald

I would like to thank Sen. Obama for helping to restore my faith in this country. It was very reassuring to see the reception that Sen. Obama received in Berlin. I'm in the travel industry which requires me to travel abroad on a regular basis. And the sentiment towards Americans has been very negative for the most part. As a black man I am remaining cautiously optimistic that Sen. Obama will be elected and help to move this country in a different direction. One that is positive and away from the troubled waters that the Bush/Cheney administration has placed us in!

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  24. Miranda

Congratulations to Soledad and to the staff at CNN. She demonstrated great journalism on the coverage of "Black in America. It raised awareness and the conscience of the state of being black in America tackling the social and economic differences in comparison to other ethnic groups..

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  25. Sheldon Goodson

Anderson, I would first of all like to thank and congratulate CNN and Soledad for this amazing documentary. Black in America did an excellent job of displaying many issues that are rarely mentioned especially the social and economical differences between light skin and dark skin African Americans. I do hope that many people have a better understanding about blacks in this country and that we also struggle with division within the black community.

July 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  26. Marshall

Part 2 was much better than Part 1. I still felt that Part 1 was lacking in several areas and misrepresented the Women on several issues. I think Part 1 needs to be revisited as another show on Black Women which talk about, women activists, women in prison, college women, women entertainers .... just like the Part 2 focused on these things for men.

July 24, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  27. deborah, OH

Soledad's effort has brought awesome results! Congratulations to her & CNN. As Anderson said, it must have involved a mountain of work, but I have learned a great deal from both nights.

July 24, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  28. Lisa

Anderson,

Why is it that Barack O. is characterized as being presumptuous for traveling abroad when John M. did the same thing and none of these issues were raised?

July 24, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  29. Tim, Mississippi

Anderson
    Look like the world has spoke. They know Obama has not won yet, but 200,000 people in Germany voted the only way they can by showing up to his speech. If McCain did a speak any where in the world he still will not get a draw a large crowd of supporters. My thoughts.

July 24, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  30. lex

I can only hope that Americans both white and black, were able to learn something from this documentary. There are two responsible parents in my household and watching this together opened a new window of understanding for the both of us as a woman for me and seeing him as the true man he is constantly struggling to be.

July 24, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  31. Darryl J. Davis

Presumptious??? The Man is a senator and a citizen of the United States. The Media can make you or break you, Today he was made, tomorrow he can be broken. Its all about "change" The McCain campaign just isnt as good as his get over it Senator McCain

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  32. Ray W

Though I commend the efforts of the report, I cannot help but take away a sense of despair for the situation for black american males. I found particularly astounding the comment that a black male with no criminal record and education is on an equal playing field as a white male recently out of prison. If such were the case, what incentive is there for the average black male to obtain legitimate employment rather than drug dealing?

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  33. Serge Lutz, FL

Man, I never saw anything like tonight. This is Emmy award work. Soledad and her team needs to be nominated for an Emmy for all of this hard work! Fantastic....

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS

McCain stood beside the surge because he thought it was a winning political move that would get him the support from Washington D.C. and his party–he perceived he needed this to win. This posturing isn't so clear now.

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  35. Ressie

As I watched the berlin speech today, I felt hope for my country and the world. Obama gives me hope. Something this country needs to began the work of getting back on track.

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  36. George Theophile

I was not happy with Black in America part 2. Where were all the successful Black Men? Where were the thousands of Black Men at Historically Black Colleges and Universities? There was way too much focus on the negative side. Part 1 was a lot better and balanced.

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  37. Linda, Los Angeles

I love Obama's response to McCain's attack. He did not attack back, but instead pointed out how ridicules the statement was.

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  38. Beth

While I will not vote for Senator Obama (or McCain either) I think that we may be too critical of a candidate who has had little exposure and little name recognition

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  39. Cynthia

Donna Brazille is correct about Senator McCain spending too much time attacking because of the press coverage & the trip. Of late Senator McCain has been misspeaking a good bit and should be glad he has not received as much press coverage.

July 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  40. michelle r, houston

Obama is a powerful reality that much of america is not admitting they are not ready for

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  41. Clayton Bigsby

While I appreciated the series, often times, the background research on some of the topics, including that of hip hop culture, left me feeling like they were glossed over a bit. Kudos to Soledad & CNN for doing this piece, which could have been a 40-part series as far as I was concerned. I do realize it's difficult to speak to all the issues in 4 hours & I would like to personally be involved in any real discussion on Image, Steroetype & Reality: Hip Hop as Part of The New Social Construct.

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  42. lynn, Vancouver, BC

An Awesome speech especially put into contrast with the other campaign which does little but attack, and makes erroneous claims.This election is about generational change and the reactions to this momentous speech reveals this.

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

Anne: Yes, I was confused about why Soledad was doing this documentary. I thought to myself "she's not black, why is she doing this?" I thought she looked more hispanic than black. But now I know her parentage and it makes sense. Who else to do a documentary on being black than someone who doesn't belong to solely to the white world or the black world, but is equally apart of both? I think, so far, this documentary has been awesome.

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  44. Jennifer

Obama has Europeans waving American flags! And they say McCain is better for our foreign policy!

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  45. Stacey

hi Anderson! I love your show!!!!
    I think for the McCain campaign to comment at all on Obama in Berlin makes them look like sore losers. Stop trying to compete with Barack and stand on you own two feet.! Give a reason to love you and not a reason not to love Obama! You are not going to stop the love fest with Obama . McCain is starting to look like a mean old man even to the republicans!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  46. Nickie, Greensboro NC

The Black Man in America was a great documentary. I was left wondering what happened to the guy who had to be out of his apartment by midnight?

July 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  47. Jolene

Hello bloggers! Tonight's Part 2 was excellent as well. Just goes to show that if you put together a great documentary, you will get the viewers to watch....and hopefully get the issues out on the table.

July 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  48. Adrienne S.

I agree Cynthia. The documentary just skimmed the surface. It was a great piece in that it brought out some issues that many may not be aware of, but there is so much more to be discussed in and out of the black communities. Great job Soledad!

July 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  49. ashleigh

I love the Black in America series and I think that it sheds light on issues that are often forgotten. I just wish that the show was promoted to a larger black audience because blacks in America really need to hear this.

July 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  50. Justin

I don't think Obama is going too far with this trip. He's doing a great job building up the American image overseas. Good job Obama!

July 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm |