July 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/24/08

We are on at a special time again tonight 11p ET, after the "Black in America" documentary. Anderson will talk with CNN's Soledad O'Brien and several of the people profiled tonight.

We'll also have tonight's headlines. Check out what else is the program in Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 1045p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Leah

"Black in America" has definately touched on some important information affecting African Americans. Now that we know the challenges Black face, but how are we going to correct these issues? Overall good job.

July 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  2. kim-chicago

For me it's John McCain's mocking tone that I find so distasteful.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Gina - Missouri

mccain seems petty whining about the media coverage of obama's trip

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  4. Cindy

Doesn't seem to me that Obama is doing that well if McCain is catching up to him in the polls.

Cindy...Ga.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  5. Casandra, South Florida

I think Obama is acting in Faith and acting as if it were. Just like "the Secret" says you have to believe and take the steps towards your goal. Very smart.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    I agree with you too. Soledad is good job to interview black people. she is so amazing reporter tonight!

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  7. daleen

Why does John McCain continue to be sarcastic towards the press and the opposition candidate? Does he really think this makes him look presidential? I wouldn't vote for anyone who goes around slamming people all of the time.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  8. norton

McCain is talking about Senator Obama's trip over seas, but didnt he go overseas himself not long ago to columbia and other central american contries. However i dont think he got 1/3 of the crowds that obama is able to draw.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  9. Virgil in Atlanta

Good evening Anderson, Obama gave one of the best speeches I have heard this election cycle.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  10. Al - Texas

Congrats to Senator Obama....great job today. I'm not surprised by McCain and crew it's to be expected, but what does surprise me is that main media takes up the mantle of complaining that Obama is arrogant to do this speech while McCain gave a speech while in Canada.

July 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  11. Gerald Granath

I thought Obama's speech was very good (and thank you CNN for broadcasting it live). He was very poised, had a positive message and I thought his analogies about working together for progress were a very different message from the negativity of the McCain campaign.

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  12. Mary In AL

Anderson,
    I loved what Senator Obama did and said today! He made me be proud to be an American again. I hate what the republicans have done to our country at home and abroad. I have not been proud of American politics in a long time.
    I despise the sarcastic and mean mccain camp.
    I celebrate for and with Senator Obama and I thank him for his words.
    Guit repeating the negative words of mccain. Do you work for them? Seems like it.

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  13. Warren Cohen, Jr.

Anderson, thank you for bringing this topic to the main stream audience. The problem starts with the portrayal of african americans, but is resting on african americans to change the way we are percieved. As for Obama, he did the right thing to show the world how he feels internationally before becoming a president, so we, domestically, will already know how he plans on improving public relations. Great show

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  14. sarah B....Durham,NC

Obama speaking as a citizen of the world...or as a Senator...i think it represents a positive image for the USA...that he is Aware of current issues...that he wants to work with other nations on these issues..that these things are ALL our issues that we ALL need to work on Together....i think it is Great on reflecting on we are ONE world...

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  15. Phil

The world has been watching Obama and now they got a chance to see him. He is an amazing person and America deserves the oportunity to have him lead us in a new direction.

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  16. Tinishia

Love Love Love it!!! Many thanks to CNN for doing this documentary. It was informative and encouraging. And adding the rap segment to the men's show tonight was a great move. Thank you all!

July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  17. Shayna

THe series was amazing. It has really challenged me to help my community in any way that I can. I am forever grateful to Soledad and CNN for this series!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  18. Casandra, South Florida

I believe the program will help discussion to begin within the Black community to create change. It will be a catalyst to the change needed within our society to stop making excuses and start making changes.

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  19. steve, toronto, canada

Is it me, or is everyone getting caught up in the "romance" of Obama's campaign. He speaks well and effectively, but that isn't enough. If the gap between he and McCain is narrowing and the republican brand is so damaged, should be not be doing better?

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  20. Linda

John McCain needs a joke writer.

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  21. Lesley

Even if Obama was being presumptuous with his speech today (and I don't think he was), we've had precious little of that quality of leadership in the last eight years, and I'll take all I can get.

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  22. Joey Hayward

Barack Obama speech in Berlin is what the world need today. We must come together as one world to advance as people in the future.

July 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  23. Gary in Toronto

When is the last time that many flags appeared at a rally in Germany and none of them were set on fire?

I mean set aside the "presumptuous" question and lets ask ourselves what it would be like to have a President capable of generating so much goodwill abroad.

July 24, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  24. andersoncnn

no one documentary can ever cover all we would like it to, but i think soledad did a terrific job. a monumental task and she really pulled it off.

July 24, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  25. Cynthia

I enjoyed the part 2 series on Black in America. I commend CNN, Soledad, and everyone involved in bringing it to out so that everyone can talk and maybe find solutions to the problem. These two parts only scratch the surface.

July 24, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  26. Ty

I think it was a great job O'brien. I relate to the story of the man in the projects, college educated, but not finding work. This is one of the reasons I joined the military. I have no criminal background, but have been at gunpoint by officers who said I "looked suspicious, etc". Once officer accused me of stealing my own car when I was in college.

July 24, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  27. Anne In New York

I felt proud to be an American watching Obama make another extraordinary speech in Berlin. Finally, after 7 l/2 years of inept U..S. leaders stumbling around the world, at last we have a brilliant man standing up for America abroad.

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  28. Celeste

what awe-inspiring pics from Germany....iconic imagery in the making

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  29. EJ (USA)

I thought tonight's half was very interesting. I liked hearing about the different experiences of the 3 sons – as well as all of the others. It was good and I congratulate Soledad on attempting to have a discussion that most people don't care to have.

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  30. Cindy

It doesn't matter how many people came to see Obama there they can't vote him in office!

Cindy...Ga.

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  31. CaseyJPS

Cynthia>"I think that he can change the impression of America in the international arena."

This is a very important point and I'm glad this is coming through. Our foreign relations are really scraping bottom...

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  32. Linda, Los Angeles

Candy said it best, Obama showed that he would be able to help restore the world's impression of America.

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  33. CAROLYN JONES

hi anderson and erica, sen obama made me really really proud to be an american.................................

July 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

Me too..... I love Obama's speech in Germany....... he is great speech!

July 24, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  35. Lawrence Smith

I loved the documentary "Black in American," however there is one issue I have, why when these documentaries are done no one ever touches being black and gay in America? That is a huge dynamic that I feel is ignored in black media produced documentaries and now CNN. Was there any reason why it was not covered? I am starting to feel pushed under the rug. Great documentary otherwise though.

July 24, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  36. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.... thanks for staying up late again..

July 24, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  37. Anne In New York

Part 2 of Black in America is equally extraordinary. Apparently blacks with lighter skin have a better chance of doing well than those with dark skin. Soledad can easily pass for white and most successful blacks on the program had light skin.

While I feel sorry for those black men who wind up in prison and/or become drug addicts, there comes a point when we all must make decisions on which path to follow. It is terrible that so many black men are so irresponsible that they don't take responsibility for the children they father.

July 24, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  38. Cynthia

It amazes me that Senator McCain is compaining about Senator Obama's trip overseas – wasn't he the one that said he should go. No matter what anyone says – Senator McCain did it his way and Senator Obama is doing it his way. I think that he can change the impression of America in the international arena.

July 24, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  39. Maureen T

I'm so proud of Barack Obama! This is just the beginning people. Watch and see! Obama 08!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  40. Gina - Missouri

I thought Obama's speech was very good for America's image in Europe.

July 24, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  41. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson and fellow bloggers! Black in America was awesome tonight! Cheers to Soledad O'Brien!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  42. Brandi

Megan, ur right, great one tonight! two men with the same upbringing and family ending up in two different places in life. i really liked the positive message it sent out to others about making good choices.

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  43. Cindy

Obama's speech did nothing for me. Just him doing another photo op trying to act like he is the pres.

Cindy..Ga.

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  44. Catie

Hello everyone! Hello Anderson and Erica! What a great job Soledad has done with this report. It's really opened up my eyes and I hope those of others as well!

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  45. CaseyJPS

It's like being at summer camp! Staying up late two nights in a row! Yippee 360!!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  46. Dr. LaJuan Hutchinson

Before your panel provides excellent commentary on "Black in America", I would like to congratulate CNN and Soledad on a wonderful series about African-American life!

It is liberating to finally see someone acknowledge what we, as African-American males, go through everyday . Hopefully the world can begin to understand our struggle, strength, and pride.

July 24, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  47. Cindy

Evening Anderson and Erica.

The special tonight was good but I have to be honest last night's was much better. I kind of lost interest tonight and it was hard to stay focused on some of it.

Cindy...Ga.

July 24, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  48. Ken

Good evening Anderson and Erica. Looking forward to another great show tonight with lots of good bloggers taking part.

July 24, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Good evening, Anderson and Soledad and everyone. Looks to be a good show tonight.

July 24, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Hellooooo Anderson, Erica, and best bloggers!!!!
    Happy Thursday!!!!
    I am enjoy " Black in America part 2" It is so amazing documentary tonight. Thank you Soledad!!!!

July 24, 2008 at 11:00 pm |