July 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/22/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dawn

I tip my hat to all the reporters who brave these storms. Gary, be careful out there.

Let's keep everyone in the hurricane's path in our prayers.

July 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Rey

Man, we could use some of those rain today–it was 102 and no change tomorrow.

July 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Janna

hoping Gary T doesn't have to get out the waders again...

July 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Cindy

Man...I hope Gary stays safe out there in the hurricane!! Hopefully it won't be really bad!

Cindy...Ga.

July 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

sorry im late, a lot of breaking news tonite. .and we’ve been re-shuffling the broadcast..

better late than never!

July 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. MaryBeth

Poor Gary!! He should get combat pay. First the floods and now a hurricane.

July 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Jose

Did you see that Obama didn't know how to answer the question about how much money spent in Iraq would be saved with his plan to move troops to Afghanistan?

July 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Rey

Surge is successful indeed, but what I do not get is that we suppose to withdraw troops little by little - whatever happened to that dialogue, I guess "lost in thin air."

July 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  9. mollie

i wish dolly would land during the day. nothing is scarier than a hurricane at night.

July 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  10. ericacnn

15-20 inches of rain... i can only hope it doesnt come down too fast, so it can bring a bit of relief to these drought-stricken areas

July 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Ken

Anderson, with the hurricane heading to the Texas shores will CNN be there after the hurricane to see how FEMA handles this situation with respect to the supplies it assembles and distributes to the affected people of the areas hit by the hurricane and what is FEMA doing for the people flooded out in the Mississippi river levee breaks?

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Jamaal

You can't hate on McCain too much, he has no choice but to over stress the importance on the surge. That's all he has left! What gets me is if the two warring sides reduced fighting BEFORE the surge happened, how in the world can you give much, if any credit to the surge?

Jamaal

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Heather

Talking about the surge is a cicular argument, its a distraction to the real issues. When is McCain going to define "victory" in Iraq?

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Gina - Missouri

I am glad Obama is doing so well and looking Presidential. Too bad Mr Bush didn't communicate well with our allies before he got us into Iraq. Maybe Obama can heal some of our countries wounds with Europe.

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Rick Morena

You are way over the top with this McCain so called “mistake”. Why not give McCain an opportunity to respond before you turn CNN into an Obama commercial? Where is the coverage of Obama’s potential deal making with Iraq? Can you say censure?

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Heather

I hope Dolly is not another Katrina

July 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Miles, Texas

I get the impression that many of these international leaders are welcoming Obama with open arms because it feels like a breath of fresh air. I'm sure they are all saying "finally, someone we can talk to", and that includes Iran.

July 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  18. al

What a night in American politics. You want to root for McCain, but he just does not give you much to hold on to. Obama on the other hand, is proving to be head and shoulders above McCain on every front. I do think Obama could use some more vetting, and frankly I believe he will prove more than competent and capable. Sadly, McCain seems to wilting under the pressure of high stakes politics.

July 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

I think Klein is right, McCain hoped that Obama would fall flat on his face when/if he went to Iraq/Afghanistan. Instead he's doing great. They thought they were setting him up for failure and instead he's making a great impression to ppl over there.

July 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Shannon

Kathy, I saw that interview and he did answer three times. He thinks that things are better, but that it was not just the surge it was several factors. Just because he didn't answer the way McCain and others want him to answer does not mean he didn't answer.

July 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Lisa in Miami

McCain is having a bad week. He's all over the place. Whining about the media coverage, talking about VPs, misspeaking about the surge, talking bad about Obama, Bush looks like he's now siding with Obama's policies to gain some ground late in the game for his legacy.............all this while Obama looks presidential, articulate, cool as a cucumber, under control.

July 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Edwina M.

Finally!!! A little coverage of this man's gaffes and I am tired of you in the media letting him get away with it. If Senator Obama did this, you guys would have a field day, talk about media bias!!!

July 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Shelley, Washington the State

I agree Lois. Not to imply a prejudice against Seniors. That isn't it at all. But we are in desperate times. We need a little hope. Five more years of war doesn't bring any of us hope. Change does.

July 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If Obama doesn't think the surge worked, why is he pushing one in Afghanistan? What's his plan to win there? How many troops, how long?

July 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Anna - chicago ,il

Obama's continued success here at home and abroad will spawn many more McCain gaffes...something to look forward to I guess

July 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. steve yelm,wa

What about what the Joint Cheif of Staff and General petrayus? Why don't you talk about their point of view on Iraq????

July 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Marilyn

Amen, Carville. I got gas for $3.95/gallon and thought it was a bargain. Someone should be talking about that.

July 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Linda, Los Angeles

Carville, make a good point. McCain could be focusing on the economy. Instead of putting more attention on Obama.

July 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Norma

Seems to me the republican don't know what to do.
    Obama's trip has been great so far and its been fun to see the republicans squirm.

July 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. John

Anderson, thank you, your point to Klein was spot on, w/o the surge the awakening would have died. This obviously was a diversionary tactci from Obama's amazing denial of the surge success.

July 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  31. andersoncnn

hey everyone... sorry im late, a lot of breaking news tonite. .and we've been re-shuffling the broadcast..

July 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Linda Powell - Singapore

Great Anderson! Thank you for bringing up the administration following Obama's ideas for Iran and Afghanistan.

July 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Joe T.

The surge was not an isolated situation. There were other currents going on at the same time such as the Sunni Awakening which actually started 6 months BEFORE the military surge.Therefore, if you just talk about the military surge like McCain, you have one picture. If you talk about the surge including a multitude of currents, then it is a mixed picture. McCain's "gaffes" or "confusions" aren't helping himself.

July 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Shannon

Steve, I have to respectfully disagree. Obama gets crucified on any gaffe and he has never attempted to rewrite history in his favor as McCain did on the CBS interview.

July 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Dawn

Hi Anderson, Erica and blogger!!

I know we have to discuss these political news events but what I find disturbing is this election, which may be historical, is being thrown under the bus. I think we're getting a little carried away with all these gaffs and blunders by both candidates. I 'm looking forward to actually listening to ALL the issues.

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Cheryl

I find it ironic that McCain kept insisting Obama "needs to" go to Iraq and Afghanistan, and now that he is there, McCain is behaving like a spoiled child! I think he is jealous of the attention Obama is getting. I also think Obama is doing great things over there, and is helping us. He clearly wants what is best for America! McCain is digging himself a little political grave, which is great for Obama and the dems.

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Jason

As Miles says it, "Throwing more troops at a situation is the lowest form of military problem solving." Obama is on the right track, there are many other ways (Diplomatic) of improving the situation in Iraq and the surrounding region.

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Rick K

I agree with Shannon, "I think McCain’s reaction to Obama on a personal level is a sign of his poor and unpredictable temperament. This is not a good thing."

This is similar to what Carville is saying and I feel it too.

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Cortez

I am listening to what McCain and alot of people are talking about that Sen. Obama does not get it about the fact that the surge is working. Well that is all good that the surge is working but what Sen. McCain and the people supporting him is not getting is the fact that the Iraqis want American Troops out and it seems to me that is what is important now and Sen. Obama gets it.

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Brandon- Augusta, Ga.

I want to thank you Anderson for reporting on this election in an objective way. As a young college student I believe that it is important that we objectively discuss why we are in Iraq and what the main goals are. I think McCain's views are narrowminded and I think that it is downright disgusting to say that if troops are removed from Iraq that we've lost (that is simply not true). We got a much bigger war vs. Al Queda and their not in Iraq, their in Afghanistan!

July 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Gary

Mr. Bennett is right about Obama riding on the backs of McCain, President Bush and the troops. Obama said the surge would not work.

July 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Sabrina, MN

hi Anderson, hi Erica!
    first time blogger,
    I just want to say r/e Warren Jeff's indictment, THERE IS JUSTICE! yes!
    ~Sabrina

July 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Cindy

OK...I hear that all of the pics, videos and interviews of Obama from Iraq and everywhere else there was done by his people and not journalists. So is that true? Why hasn't that been talked about on 360?

Cindy...Ga.

July 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Tracey - Boston

McCain is the Maverick...he operates off the cuff. His aides are probably off to the side wondering how the can control such gaffs. We just have to watch and how bad it gets

July 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. steve yelm,wa

Obama has looked good on this trip, it will help him in the polls.

July 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Paul, Florida

McCain is making several mistakes and its starting to get a little embarrassing. Everyone is focusing on Obama making mistakes I think is missing the boat. McCain is frustrated and taking it out on Obama but in doing this he is making several gaffes.

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think both candidates could use a refresher course in geography because I can list quite a few gaffes that Obama has made about his own country.

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. donna

I like what Obama has been doing overseas! He portrays self-confidence and that's what we need in a leader!

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  49. steve yelm,wa

I think Obama is understanding the war. This is why we see a pause in his solidified position in having the troops out of Iraq.

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. ROSEMARY

I think that McCain is letting his anger show and it's making him look like a whinner.

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |