July 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cindy

Poor Drew!! He is just getting picked on because he outed them!

Cindy...Ga.

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Susan - North Haven,CT

Thanks Anderson. I'm not surprised. I guess we'll find out at the airport – just like Drew... poor guy. Kudos to him for staying calm.

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Jolene

So why is the watch list secret? That's absurd.

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Brandi

it should be publicly accessible. i am curious if it is only those that travel alot?

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Dawn

Can't the TSA do background checks on the people that fill out the forms and request that their names be removed? Poor Drew, he's a patient man.

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Gary

My 75 year old mother in law is stopped when she flys. She laughs it off and gets on the plane without a tear.

July 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why don't they use something more than just names to target these people. Odds are the suspected terrorist named Drew Griffin doesn't have the same birthdate as CNN's Drew.

July 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Kayle

I love what Jon Stewart said. "If you want to know if you're on the watch list, scroll through it, and by the time you reach the bottom you'll probably be on it." Haha

July 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Larry

I'm surprised that african americans only see barack as black. His mom was white.Barack is not a product of the civil rights movement; has no slavery connection, unlike 'real' african americans. Are african americans willing to put their stock in a guy that is half white?

July 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Jolene

Let's hope that one of those known terrorists doesn't use the name Anderson Cooper as an alias......

I don't think it is a coincidence that Drew Griffin is on the watch list. It is interesting how quickly a name can be added but how long it takes to get it taken off.

July 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Jill 1

I wonder what else flags you for the list? Numerous trips? Travel to the Middle East?

July 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jacqui Chan

imagine if you were one of those innocent names on the terrorist watch list. very disturbing and aggravating not to mention humiliating

July 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. MaryBeth

How embarassing! Everyone will hear the ticket agent saying you're on the terror watch list....

July 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Jo Ann in Ohio,
    I am worried myself If I have list my name on the target or ride the plane, Too scary for me put that list...... I agree with you.

July 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Janna

It's better that the list is not avail to us. Someone planning who really belongs on it could see his/her name, then change their name!

July 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Thomas, Georgia

Hi Erica

If being called a name gets people to talk about race issue. Than i say lets talk about. Race issue's forces people to deail with internal issues's they shy away from.

July 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shelley, I was speaking in the larger context. If we won both wars tomorrow, there would still be plenty of militants who want to destroy us around the world.

July 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Heather

Apparently the TSA wants a surprise attack on us when we go to the airports and thats why we cant see if our names are on the list.

July 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Kathy, Chicago

I have to admit that Drew's story made me giggle. I hope I'm not on the list.

July 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  20. david gergen

Hello everyone - glad to see such a spirited discussion again tonight - and that Anderson, the anchor who focused attention on Afghanistan so long ago, is shown as prescient now. The sooner we can get more troops to the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan - and let's hope some of those troops are from NATO, not just the U.S. - the faster we can close down a rapidly growing haven for terrorism.

On Obama and race, my sense is that we are dealing with a glass half full, glass half empty issue. You could look at this campaign and say here we have a candidate with a fairly thin resume, no military experience, AND he is black - BUT here he is out in front! Wow, that's great racial progress! But you could also look at this campaign and say: Americans by some 15 percent say they would prefer a Democrat to a Republican in the White House and yet Obama is only out in front by 5 points or so. Why? Because, you could say, he has a fairly thin resume, no military experience, AND he is black. Whoa, the glass from that perspective is only half full.

So, which is it? Half full or half empty? We are likely to be debating that right through November - and perhaps beyond. Would love your views as we go.

July 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Shannon

Anderson, you should be careful. Your name may be on the list next.

July 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  22. ericacnn

i believe many of you are correct - a major reason this is such a difficult discussion to have is because no one wants to be labeled a racist.

July 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. John Gibbons

Anderson, as soon as you had the show last night, I went to the website. I could not find where people could access it either. It's ok. at least you tried! 🙂

July 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. MaryBeth

Anderson: so how do we find out? Just wait until we're pulled out of line like poor Drew Griffin?

July 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Thomas, Georgia

I think having a black presidnet will help put race issue's out in the front for all americans to deal with. Being president is being president for all americans not just black americans. If Obama is president, i think it would help in that area amond others.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Shea, North Carolina

Hey everyone....good evening....soooooooo glad to see that someone is talking about the war in afghanistan. i guess our troops over there probably think we have forgotten about them.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, fellow bloggers. I like this report about the surrogates. It's always good to stick with the issues. The personal shots make for interesting news but don't get things moving.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. janet

Erica~I think we make race a bigger issue than it really is. I believe we still have to talk about this touchy subject, but people put the drama into it. It's like they want something to complain about. I was raised not to look at the outside of the person, but to look at the inside.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. andersoncnn

Susan.. i thought individuals could find out if they are on the list.. turns out i was misinformed.. the list is not publically accessible.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Linda, Los Angeles

Erica, I always go back to how children interact with each other. Race is not an issue until someone older makes them aware of it.

July 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

John Gibbons and Heather,
    I agree with both of you..... I hate this to say...... that is so disgrace to me, I saw billboard so awful comment.

July 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Ike Emejullu

The brutal attacks in Afghanistan last week that was masterminded by the Taliban conveyed a desperate sense of foreboding in the mountainous country. The commanding general of the ISAF forces has long called for an infusion of more troops and equipment. It is frankly sad that it takes the death of nine brave young troops for Afghanistan to get the much needed help it deserves.

July 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Cindy

I wish we'd stop talking about all of both candidates surrogates and get back on what really matters...the issues on our economy, the wars, etc!

Cindy...Ga.

July 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Vincent

hmmm .... well Drew looks a bit shifty ......

😀

July 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Dawn

Hi Anderson, Erica, and all. I was really disappointed in General Clark. I think these surrogates cause more harm.

July 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Jolene

Interesting piece on the surrogates. I'm sure more will get the boot before November comes....

July 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Obama and McCain really need to get out there together and do those town hall meetings. Their words need to be heard, we've heard enough surrogates on both sides. Over and over again.

July 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Larry

The troop situation in Afghanistan is is more multinational than in Iraq; hopefully we'll get more support from our allies. Also, didn't several hundred Taliban recently break out of a prison in Afghanistan?

July 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  39. MaryBeth

I don't remember surrogate speakers being this controversial before and damaging their candidates this way in previous elections.

July 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Kevin C

I think it's tough to credit Obama with knowing about Afghanistan. We couldn't move the troops there without the surge and its progress. Don't want to give credit to the Adminstration either 'cause they took their eye off the ball.

July 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    I never thought, is that legal ruse red cross to help? I wonder that is not good use red cross pin get rescued hostage....... Is President saying ban use red cross pin?

July 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Susan - North Haven,CT

Hi Erica,

You're soooo right. People are afraid of called racist, so they keep their mouths shut.

My honest opinion... Sadly, I don't think we're ready, and I don't think we will be until Americans can come to terms with their own prejudices and approach the idea with an open mind.

July 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Jill 1

Hi Erica, which topic? They are all such worthwhile topics. I really appreciate that Anderson goes further in-depth than most anchors on so many very important topics.

July 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Greg S. in Chicago

When, oh when, will some of the members of the Republican party stop employing below-the-belt campaign tactics (the billboard of the burning WTC)? It is so disrespectful to the people who died there – one of whom was a very good friend of mine. I hope people will wake up and recognize these actions for what they are – desperate attempts to play on people's fears and bigotry.

July 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Kenny

Good evening Anderson. As usual, David Gergen is 100% on the money about race and relations and the effect the Obama campaign for the office of President will have on race relations. The effects will be long term. I grew up in the 50's and 60's but have no knowledge of polls from that era. I suspect that if some could be found you would see that whites approval of any Blacks running for public office in that time period would have been either in the low teens or single digits. That being the case, the polls now would reflect an improvement in the views of a Black candidate by Whites.

July 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Maureen in australia

Hi Erica: That is a shame, that it is so difficult ,should be the man
    not a pigmentation issue

July 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Shelley, Washington the State

mike in syracuse I respectfully disagree with you. Our occupation or "war" with Iraq and Afghanistan is not even close to the Cold War.

July 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Heather

Wow, the Republicans will go anywhere to make sure a Democrat is not voted in wont they?

July 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As I recall Gary Tuchman gets targeted by the airlines a lot as well.

July 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Cynthia

Gary, I don't see it the same way. Blacks have been voting for whites for the Presidency every since they were given the right to vote.

July 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |