July 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. John Gibbons

WOW, that billboard advertisement is a disgrace to the family's of the deceased. Poor taste in trying to get a message across

July 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Mechelle--Oklahoma

i agree erica, but like vincent said– we don't talk about it or tell our true feelings because we are afraid we will be called racists. i understand why we mostly talk about black and white, but we forget about hispanics, native americans, asians, etc. if we talk about racism, we need to talk about it from every point of view.

July 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Lynn, Vancouver

This is a generational change election if young people get out and vote; I think the interesting divide is the difference in the age of voters.John kerry got over 80% of the black vote!!

I also thought it was interesting that not many more white voters were keen on McCain than with Obama.

July 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Gabrielle, Denver

If America isn't ready for a black president now, then when? We people say that we aren't ready now they should just say what they are really thinking, that we will never be ready and they don't want a black man (or woman) to be president of the US.

July 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. jaecob

Obama got the jump on Mcain, with the whole deployment of attention and troops on afghanistan.. Obama stated it first and then bush spoke of it and then Mr John Mcsame Mcain. Now they are the copiers.

July 16, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Brandi

i have no problem discussing it Erica, I was taught to see the person within, not the color of their skin or ethnic backgrounds.

July 16, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Thomas, Georgia

Our troops are streched too thin between both country's. Afghan and Iraq will bleed this country dry. Not to mention the long term effect of all the spending were doing.

Also, my question is how can we fight two wars in two different countries and still take care of America?

Think about it.

July 16, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Cynthia

I agree Erica, and I think that is where the problem is some people are not open and honest about race.

July 16, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Shelley, Washington the State

I would like to see some age demographics regarding the race issue. I don't think generation x or y is reflected in the statistical demographics tonight.

July 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Jeanine

Yes, we need more troops in Afganistan, but it very sad to see your neighbor leave his wife & newborn baby to go. Just when you think the troops that make it home are safe , they are being called out again. It has not even been a year for my neighbor.

July 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Susan - North Haven,CT

ANDERSON....

I know this is "off topic" – but last night you said CNN would try to post information about how to check if we are on the TSA watch list.

Is it on the site yet? Thanks.

July 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  12. Gabrielle, Denver

Tara said just what I was thinking, Obama is half white. Noboby bothers to mention that; they just keep pointing out the obvious, that he's black.

July 16, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Gary

It is ironic that when we talk about "race" in this political environment we speak of it in relation to Obama....so the same holds true to McCain with black voters.

July 16, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Shannon

Susan, I think it was studied in-depth in the primaries and it was determined that it didn't matter.

July 16, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Mike O'Connell

Around the world, America is viewed by many as a racist country. The election of Obama would go a long way to restore the respect that we enjoyed after WWII and after 9/11. That has largely been squandered.

July 16, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  16. ericacnn

hi, everyone. this is such an impt topic, one that is so difficult for americans to have honest, open discussions about...

July 16, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Heather

@Mary H. It is sad that 60% of black Americans think that race relations are poor in this country. Its also sad that religion is treated the same way.

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Aaron

The forgotten war? Of course it was forgotten. Things were going relatively well. Thats not news. Now that the situation has begun to turn for the worse, AC hits the ground running. Since the situation in Iraq has gotten so much better, is that going to be the new forgotten war? If it bleeds it leads.

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  19. teresa

Hello Anderson and Erica!

America is ready for a "President" regardless of 'color'.

The problem as far as black or white?
    I think there have been toooo many objections about what can and what can't be said without "racism" being cried (mostly by surrogates).

Also, "Black in America" has been noted toooo much in the media; and "change" seems to be synonomous with "black".

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Cindy

@ Susan-North Haven,CT...I totally agree! This race thing should have been out long ago and done and over with.

Cindy..Ga.

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Kathy, Chicago

Obama could be Barney the purple dinosaur's twin, and I still wouldn't like him. I don't like his tax package, I don't trust him and he hasn't done anything to make me think that he could be president. Race has never been a factor.

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson!...Let us remember though Mr. Cooper and fellow bloggers we keep forgetting that Barack is bi-racial. Yes he may look "black" but he is bi-racial, black and white! And yes, America ready for a president of colour!! Obama 08!

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Kevin C

You know, this isn't the first time I've heard about Afghanistan being a hotbed. Its a little odd that suddenly the conflict over there is front page, and we just gotta move troops over there now.

I wonder what's so different this time? Success in Basra?

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

At the end of the day will polls prove anything concrete or will all this polling be worth zip.

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Vincent

Everyone always seems so quick to pull the race card for any reason. Its so overplayed now that noones willing to talk about the issues without being worried that they'll be branded a 'racist'.

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Brandi

I dont care if the next president is purple, as long as they can get us out of all the mess overseas and bring our troops home safely.

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Linda, Los Angeles

I think Obama's candidacy actually highlights the state race relations. What exactly did we expect to have happened in 18 months. Obama is not running on race, but a message.

July 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Gary

Anna: the troops in Afghanistan are rotated out just like the troops in Iraq. They have not been sitting there all this time.

July 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Jolene

Those polls are interesting but we need more details on why people think race relations haven't approved. As compared to what?

July 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Maureen in australia

Looks like Sen. Obama is the candidate for change.

Sen McCain has changed his mind about Afghanistan.

Now the President has changed his about Iraq.

Where these Obama policies sure was from my reading.

July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Norma El Paso, TX

As someone who isn't black or white this issue doesn't make any sense to me. You have a man that is both black and white its what I call a MULTI. That is what my daughter is hispanic and white and I find that great. Two races in one!

July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

That is so interesting new poll most Obama 54% McCain 39%,

July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. EJ (USA)

Great point David Gergen – about blacks thinking that race relations will improve over time (not overnight)

July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Cynthia

I agree Cindy that racism is alive and well. I hope that everyone blogging will watch the CNN special on being Black in America.

July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Susan - North Haven,CT

Come on! It's a little late NOW to be asking if America is ready for a black President. This question should have been examined in depth during the primaries.

July 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Heather

I think we are ready for a black president. Its time for a change to the presidential roster.

July 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Celeste

I agree, making history doesn't change history, but making history can indeed change the future.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The Cold War lasted 50 years. The war against Islamic terrorists will take generations as well.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. John Gibbons

Some people have it in their mind to be "ethocentric" so no matter how much this country improves on diversity, some people want things to be polarized.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

That is sad to think that 60% of Black Americans think race relations are poor in this country. Wow, I thought we had mad more progress than that. What a shame.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Anna - chicago ,il

I feel horrible for all the troops that have been in Afghanistan for the past couple of years...it seems that they were forgotten..now Bush is nearing the end of his term and trying ot make some significant progress there.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

Tiffany: I didn't say we shouldn't send troops to Afghanistan. I think we should..it should have been our main focus the whole time. Send the excess troops from Iraq to Afghanistan.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Cindy

Racism is alive and well in America unfortunately so of course some people will vote that way. But that doesn't mean we all will.

Cindy...Ga.

July 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Greg S. in Chicago

Susan, while I agree it seems wrong to politicize the Iraq / Afghanistan wars, I think it is important to understand who believes what, and who said what, because it will be an indicator of who CAN best help our troops.

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Dhillon

Obama understands the war on terror and foreign policy. That is why he has always supported ending the war in Iraq and taking those troops to Afganistan.

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    It's hard to believe Afghanistan shouldn't have been the primary focus all along. Just because it looks significantly less populated has never made it less important.

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Linda in Los Angeles,
    our troops will move to Afghanistan from Iraq, and we need more troops right now.

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Gil

I think the media is making a big deal out of nothing regarding Afghanistan. also because of the exageration, the Taliban are trying to stage these attacts. It's the samething that al qaeda did in Iraq.

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Chelsey - Toronto-Canada

If McCain thinks he can get Bin Laden why hasn't he given someone in charge his stratagy, so Bin Laden could have been captured long ago?

July 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |