July 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracey - Boston

have a beary good night anderson

July 16, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Maureen T

Good night Andy and Erica! I'm with you Erica about Turtle Man. He's mean!

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Jolene

Not the Turtle Man again! I think Anderson needs to do some investigative reporting on that dude!!!

Great show, nite all!

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Brandi

Turtle Sauce Picaunte! lol

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Wednesday evening..Who does that shark think he is? Looks more like Flipper to me.

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Oh, not again... I will never get that yell out of my mind... Night all...

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Genevieve M, TX

Turtle Man is smoking something...

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Dawn

It's not the surfer dude I'm worried about. What about the girl?

July 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Tracey - Boston

No not the Turtle man

July 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Roger

David,

Clearly, Afghanistan requires rather immediate attention from both long- and short-range perspectives – glass half-empty.

The issue of race, although deeply diverse and complex, is NOT an insurmountable one – glass half-full.

July 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Kevin C

David, as important as the war and policy is, I think there are other social issues (abortion, marriage) that some will always vote on. Until Obama embraces that agenda (hope he doesn't!) he's not going to come clsoe to getting their vote.

July 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Shelley, Washington the State

Great news to hear the dow finished well today. In all the negative economic news we are getting used to hearing, this is a welcome surprise. The relief at the pump is already being felt....we are grateful for all the good news..even if its small.

July 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Janna

Did you say Florida? oh god. I will be extra cautious in the waves tomorrow...

July 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. MaryBeth

That photo looks fake...the shark is a totally different color scheme. He's too shiny.

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Genevieve M, TX

Sharks??? Just when you thought it was safe to swim in the water....

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Jolene

Erica, I like the bear videos! Keep em coming.

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. teresa

TSA list? This is a different topic (but it is goverment and security related) : How about tainted food and still no knowledge of origin.
    That TSA list makes me feel real secure.

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus has been in trouble several times for abusing their elephants and other animals! – I hope this gets posted!

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  19. John Gibbons

BEARS on this program. Very funny–ha ha 🙂

July 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Tiara, Columbia, SC

Having the same first, middle, and last name as terrorist is a bit much. They really need to add pictures and if it helps your SSN.

Thanks MaryBeth.

July 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Kenny

Erica the bear was looking for the new I-Phone.

July 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Brandi

Aaron, good point, I myself would prefer to be on the safe side so that I could live to complain about it.

Another BEAR! lol Just for Anderson?

July 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Cindy

WOW...that was a weird story with many twists! I am glad that they caught him!!

Night Anderson and Erica!!

Cindy...Ga.

July 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

Hello David Gergen,
    I agree with your comment, you have good point, I think that we need more our troops will move to Afghanistan from Iraq, I remember Anderson was there too.

July 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Jolene

David Gergen: Interesting concept regarding whether people see the glass half full or half empty. To me, that is more on whether people see Obama in a positive or negative light, race may not always be the factor in that case. I also think that age and demographics has a lot to do with it. Thanks for blogging! 🙂

July 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  26. MaryBeth

How many ppl on that list are under the age of 18?

July 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Gary

When are we going to learn that there are people who want to kill us and anything the government does to stop it is OK by me. Whinning about a watch list is ridiculous.

July 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen, I think the glass should always be half full. That goes for both candidates. Both have something to give this country, and voters will decide by a vote who that is. I will respect the decision, even if my candidate doesn't win.

July 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Aaron

Which is worse? Getting embarrassed at the ticket counter, or blown out of the sky? I prefer safe than sorry. I prefer it for myself, my family, and my fellow Americans. No question it would be an incredible pain to be on that list. However, if you are alive, you can complain about it.

July 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Jacqui Chan

a toddler on the watch list; yeah, sounds like they are really on top of protecting us how pathetic, shameful

July 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Celeste

i've never been told i was on the list, but there has only been one time that i haven't been pulled to the side out of about 10 for an extensive search at security...that taught me to get to the airport on time...

July 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Jill 1

Erica, maybe the toddler's mother put him on the list as a little "terror!"

July 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  33. MaryBeth

Tiara: the other man they interviewed has a middle name and they say there is a terrorist with the exact same name, so having a middle name doesn't help.

July 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Brandi

haha! Erica, i would hope the kid isnt a terrorist!!

July 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Kathy, Chicago

OMG AC, this happened in my town. It was really creepy. I'm glad they caught him.

July 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Tiffany (San Diego)

The TSA list holds no significance in my opinion. Society as a whole, is always in danger of terrorism. Somebody who is not on the list could commit a terrorist act.

July 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Kevin C

The entire watch list smacks of laziness. I wish there were some statistics on actual terrorists that they caught.

How hard is it add a picture or age to those names? What does the FBI have that list on, a 486 20 MB hard drive?

July 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

Why don’t they use something more than just names to target these people. Odds are the suspected terrorist named Drew Griffin doesn’t have the same birthdate as CNN’s Drew.

That's because there isn't a suspected terrorist named Drew Griffin. There's probably not even one named Drew.

July 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Shea, North Carolina

If I heard the ticket agent say that someone in front of me was on the TSA list I would not get on that plane even though they cleared them to fly!!! How would we know if they were innocent?

July 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  40. ericacnn

It's not just people like Drew - I remember a story a couple of years ago about a toddler who was on the list. Trust me, it's enough work flying with a toddler (even a well behaved one)... I cant imagine that added stress! (Yes, I am assuming the kid is NOT a terrorist)

July 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Shelley, Washington the State

David Gergen I love your posts but I am not sure I followed 'the glass half full half empty' theory. I do believe it is time for us to have some hope the last couple of years have been rough in 'middle' America. I am going to go with 'glass half full' and say Obama is the best hope we have.

July 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi David, I like to think the glass is half full. BUT, I would also say that the resume may be thin in length of time, but not so much in content. During the primaries, I spent some time going through the library of congress to see what both candidates were doing in office. Obama may have been there a short time, but he has been very busy.

July 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David Gergen, which would you say is the dominant issue with support for Obama, race or experience?

July 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Janna

Hahaha! did that shark have his own surfboard? gnarly dude

July 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

I just find way too coincidental that all of a sudden there is a terrorist with Drew Griffin's name after he starts investigating the TSA.

July 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Guy Blaise

No matter how big the watch list is,it will be hard to distinguish terrorists and non-terrorists. As the Tutsi of Rwanda say, “A man in hiding does not whistle.

July 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Tracey - Boston

As often as Drew flies you would think they would have his picture and say, "this man is OK to fly."

But they may be doing it on purpose as he suggests.

July 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Brandi

erica, i know some racists and they have no problem letting others know it. then again, i live down the bayou and there are some rather unintelligent people around here. lol

July 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Tiara, Columbia, SC

This is where your middle name becomes pretty handy.

July 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |