July 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/15/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen T

And usually Canada is more forgiving than the U.S. What happens to the young man if he's found not guilty? I can only hope that Canada gives this a second thought.

July 15, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Cindy

I can't believe how TSA did Jeff. That is crazy that anyone from the government can read anything that you write .

Cindy...Ga.

July 15, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Tiffany (San Diego)

Fixing the economy is easier said than done. If the country's economy is going to get back on track, the country is going to need a well thought out plan from a presidental candidate who is willing to focus on the citizens and their needs.

July 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Kevin

I think the meeting with Iran, shows we do try to have talks before we take any action.

July 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Genevieve M, TX

Sounds like the TSA subscribes to the following:

"The only way to stay on top (TSA) is to tarnish the reputation of those who speak the truth (CNN).

July 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Bob Duncan

Hi: There are 64,000 members of the Civil Air Patrol serving the U.S.A. looking for downed aircraft and lost persons. Each member must have passed a FBI background check. Why then can't CAP members bypass airport security when flying. We members still have to pay $100 to a private company to pass THEIR FBI background check. Where is the logic in this? Respectfully, Bob, 1st Lt. Civil Air Patrol, Indianapolis, IN

July 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

that terrorist watch list. I could not believe that Ted Kennedy and several other senate and house of reps. /This is crazy, it knocked my socks of when I read that there was a 6yr old on the list, as well as several current and past soldiers of Iraq.

July 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

Poor Drew Griffin! Smells like vengeance to me...It's so obvious that the TSA is taking it out on Drew. How can they possibly get away with that?

July 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. ericacnn

Drew's story tonight is insane

July 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Shelley, Washington the State

A million people on a terrorist watch list? Say it ain't so....is that where our taxes dollars are going? Oh yeah that and the war on terror.......

July 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Lisa

Beware of Drew Griffin 🙂 Goodness, that's crazy he's on the list.

July 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i heard earlier today that canada doesn't want the boy held at guantanamo back. what will happen to him if he's found not guilty?

July 15, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

Gitmo needs to be closed completely and turned into a vacation resort or something.

July 15, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. CaseyJPS

I had some guy (on foot) jump on the hood of my truck in San Francisco once while I was in traffic......the guy was crazy (not me...... honest).

July 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Heather

What is the point with road rage? Its senseless to me.

July 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, finger pointing is what so many people do, instead of a two way conversation. Round and round they go and end up nowhere.

July 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Genevieve M, TX

I hope the driver of that car got arrested. He could have easily killed the guy!

July 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Shannon

Guantanoma Bay makes me ashamed of our White House. We resorted to the actions that we have held other countries to in the past. Torture does not produce actionable intelligence and should NEVER be employed.

July 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Maureen T

What was that driver thinking? And what was he high on? Hello?

July 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Oh my gosh. people are crazy out there...

July 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

What is going on in Fort Bragg??

July 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Linda, Los Angeles

Erica, you are right there is a lot of finger pointing. I notice that every time Bush has a press conference, he makes it a point to lay blame at the feet of Democratic Senate. I think it will be useful to have a President in office that works well with Congress.

July 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Adrian

My 12 year old son asked me recently, why he is asked to work out his disagreements in school by talking instead of fighting, yet adults seems to want to fight first and then talk later. Military action should always be an option but we should completely exhaust diplomatic our options first.

July 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Sarah

Erica, Yes! That's exactly what we need.

So much talking... so little action...

July 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Stacy

@Erica–Yes. But if we're going by history . . . good luck with that.

July 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Norma

Finger pointed is the American way in politics. If something is not working blame the other guy.

July 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Heather

I would rather have an administration that works with us than against us. I know someone who had to foreclose on her home because of the economy. This administration has not been working for us for the past seven years.

July 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Susan - North Haven,CT

Hi Anderson... nice to see both you and Erica back.

July 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Shannon

I agree with you 100% Erica! It is time to vote Obama into the White House and get some real solutions implemented!! I can't wait for the economy to turn around!

July 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

Yay Erica welcome back!

July 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

Clinton had no military experience as a point in case. In fact his experience all though quite extensive in politics, was quite lacking in the federal area. So dont just judge on back ground or experience, look at the whole person their vision of where the think we should be and their over all values as far as America is concerned.

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

Good evening Anderson

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Shelley, Washington the State

The economy...it is hard to stay optimistic regarding the economy. I hope going forward the government puts tougher regulations on the lenders...so they aren't lending to people who can't afford to pay.

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What is the difference between a bail out and what the government is doing? From what I understand it is unconstitutional for the government to pick and choose which companies it helps.

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  35. ericacnn

Lots of finger-pointing... wouldn't getting some real help and solutions underway be a better way to spend our time?

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Linda, Los Angeles

Um, we are paying for a war with borrowed money. How exactly are we to revive are economy while still at war?

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Janna

No one is calling the war a success...McCain is merely stating that the SURGE worked and could be used as an example to learn from while finding a good strategy in the other war. Pretty simple, no?

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. MaryBeth

Tiffany: the troops in Iraq would be redeployed to Afghanistan. They would not be coming home. Afghanistan is where we should have been the whole time...Iraq is an unncecessary distraction.

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  39. andersoncnn

Yay, erica's back!

July 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.. thanks for joining us online tonite.

July 15, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Obviously the economy is not going to turn around by November and as time progresses and there are more forclosures, some of these layoffs hit, and gas prices continue to be high...... most people are going to vote thinking about their wallet. This is going to hurt McCain more than I bet he is banking on. Has he aligned himself with some key people that have more experience with economic matters?

July 15, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Shelley, Washington the State

I don't know why but it bugs me when we start putting timelines on the withdrawel of troops from Iraq. We just need to we need to get out as soon as possible. Thats the cold hard truth.

July 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Tracey - Boston

There are a lot of foreclosures.. I work in the Assessing Dept for a local city.

July 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Melody

What hypocrites!!!! Now Bush is doing EXACTLY what Sen. Obama has proposed and was criticized for... talking with Iran. Now tell me who is the better qualified to lead this country. Obama 2008, God bless America please

July 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. carl

I agree with Whitney: What have we won in Iraq?

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everybody. Seems like Sen McCain had a good day. I do think Obama can set forth his ideas on Iraq. It's been reported and we've been talking about it for years.

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Susan - North Haven,CT

@Minou...
    I will judge McCain on his OWN merits – not Bush's.

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Tiffany (San Diego)

I am a Obama supporter. But I don't understand how he could want to send more troops to Afghanistan, while discussing plans on sending the troops in Iraq home.

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

The only "plan" I see McCain having for Iraq is staying there indefinitely...

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Lisa

I agree, Minou Also, if we had put our time, money and resources into Afghanistan and finding Bin Laden instead of Iraq perhaps we'd be a lot further along in the war on terror.

July 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |