July 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/15/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gary

I respectfully take issue with the idea that America is "hated" around the world because of Republican strategies. Unless you have some statistical analysis to support the idea we are hated because of Republican strategies you are only expressing an unsupported opinion.

July 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Jolene

It seems like the 12% unsure stat is dwindling. It was 15% previously so the voters are deciding on a candidate. Wonder how many of them have flip flopped on their candidate choice these past few months.

July 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Loretta from California

So now it is ok to meet with the Iranians. I'm confused. Did we miss something? I thought that we would only meet with them if they agreed to suspend their nuclear program.

July 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Maureen T

I agree with David Gergen! When Obama goes overseas he will be welcomed with enthusiasm! Maybe that will change the minds of the 12% unsure!

July 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Lisa in Miami

I think the foreign policy link with the economy is KEY! This is a very important thing to think about – how far $200 billion on the war would have gone to help our economy at home.

July 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

Obama has always stated that we needed more troops in Afganistan..this is nothing new. McCain has said that Afganistan was in trouble because of our committment in Iraq.

July 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Shannon

McCain was completely wrong in Iraq. He voted to invade a country that did not deserve to be invaded.

July 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  8. CaseyJPS

Chuck, that is a very astute perception! I would bet you are right.

"The only reason Bush is trying to do anything now is to help McCain. If he can clean this up and resolve a lot of these issues in the middle east"

July 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Linda, Los Angeles

Mike, actually Shannon is right. Obama has been saying for a long time now that we need more troops in Afghanistan. McCain did not think Afghanistan was a problem a couple of months ago.

July 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Shannon

Mike, The past 18 months and in fact the entire war, Obama has been calling for a surge in Afghanistan. He has always said that the war in Iraq diverted attention and resources from Afghanistan. McCain has scorned him for this stance and is now doing a major flip flop.

July 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Kevin, RPV, CA

You send an envoy to a meeting only once for one purpose – to give an ultimatum. I generally agree with David G., but he got it wrong this time.

July 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I think we can not "win" a war if it goes on indefinitely. Obama is
    better at conveying a plan for exit–rather than just dwelling on military tactics.

July 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Whitney

I still don't know what exactly we've accomplished in Iraq that would justify us calling this war a success. Terrorists still exist in Iraq and surrounding countries, and they still plot to destroy those who intrude on their beliefs. What have we won?

July 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Anita

There is always power in negotiations. Barack once suggested the idea, however he was labeled as a Appeaser. This story will be very interesting to follow. Wonder what Mc Cain have to say now?

July 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Democratic politics/politicians are invested in defeat in Iraq and are now in the position of either ignoring the success or re-positioning.

July 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Minou, New York City

Susan: America is hated around the world because of Republican strategies. Bush made the US more vulnerable than ever! And McCain will continue to do that.

July 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

Obama today said they will leave a small force in Iraq for a few years to resolve issues in training, and to take care of any remaining pockets of terrorist if it becomes necessary.

July 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  18. MaryBeth

I think the surge worked mainly because of who led the surge. General Petraeus did an awesome job. I don't think it would have worked if someone else had led the surge. He brought a newness and freshness to how he led and how he dealt with the populace and how our troops interacted with the Iraqis.

July 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I didn't know they taught military strategy in law school. I trust McCain to know how to fight a war. He was right in Iraq.

July 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Lisa in Miami

It seems like McCain always reads his speeches while Obama just speaks. Just an observation....

July 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

I agree with you susan. I have the same feelings about both candidates. maybe one of them will pick a vp that can balance their failing qualities out.

July 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

The only reason Bush is trying to do anything now is to help McCain. If he can clean this up and resolve a lot of these issues in the middle east... it will make McCains life much easier.

July 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. CaseyJPS

McCain has now stated he thinks we should use the successful strategies used in Iraq as the model for Afghanistan?! This is crazy! Successful and Iraq is an oxymoron.

July 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Obama will never be perceived as a 'better' Commander and Chief then McCain by the American people. The question that Americans should be asked is if the US should walk away from Iraq, regardless of how things started, given the blood and treasure Americans have given.

July 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shannon, you have it reversed. Obama is copying McCain. He saw the surge work in Iraq, now he suggests one in Afganistan.

July 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. CaseyJPS

John>
    "Obama is speaking as if everything is so simple. This is a sure sign of youth and inexperience."

It IS simple. It's called a cohesive plan. Look where old age and experience has gotten us.

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. sean

I wonder how much Iran's testing of missiles has played in Bush's decision to send a high ranking envoy for talks. hmm?

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Sarah

Heather, I agree with you. Though, I don't think that Obama will be able to get us out of Iraq in 16 months. I mean, Bush has kept us there for this long and I don't see us successfully pulling out that quick. He does have a good plan.

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Minou, New York City

Welcome back, Erica!

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Andrew, Lafayette IN

welcome back erica.. we missed you!!!

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Jatovi, NC

Ok, does this mean Iraq was practice? this is what it sounds like McCain said today in response to Obama said.

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Dawn

I don't think a candidate needs to have served in the military to be president, however this is a plus in my book. As much as I like Obama I do think McCain is more qualified. This is going to be an interesting election.
    We've been involved in previous wars that were questionable but we came out of it stronger as a nation.

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. sarah B....Durham,NC

McCain winning in Iraq...what exactly does he consider that has to be done to Win??.....he might have more experience with war...but his threats and old school tactics may become a horrible mistake for America if he comes into office!....focus on what is Needed to be done in the middle east...and focus more on Americans right now!

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Shannon

I have to respectfully disagree with David Gergen, I think McCain is simply copying what Obama has said for months and in fact since the start of the war in Iraq. The thing we are failing to mention is that while McCain may have been right about the surge he was completely wrong about the initial invasion. Just like he has been wrong with how to approach Iran.

July 15, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

No matter how it goes, nothing will be settled with Iran until after the election.

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

I am so torn on Iraq. I just don't think we can pick up and leave and turn away from this country now that we are there so I agree with McCain but I don't want us to be there 100 years. What a thorny issue.

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Jolene

I still wonder if McCain knows how to get Osama Bin Laden or if he's just playing politics with the voters.

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Gary

Terrorists are the distraction not Iraq and the terrorists are not going away. Even Obama is going to send more troops to Afghanistan. It is going to COST us money to have troops in Afghanistan!

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

I agree with David!

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Susan - North Haven,CT

I'm a Democrat. But I am SERIOUSLY beginning to lean towards McCain in November – he is, by far, the better candidate with regards to the war and foriegn affairs.
    The dems- i.e. Obama – would, no doubt, be better for our economy. But what good is a strong economy if we're not safe? We can't thrive if we're dead.

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. ericacnn

Evening, bloggers

July 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is why I am always suspicious when any candidate gives absolutes and dates about anything. You can never predict the future. Politics is like a game of chess, you must always plan for unpredictable moves like the recent military maneuvers in Iran.

July 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Heidi,lou.ky

Obama always was for diplomacy .

July 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama read McCain's play book. Now he wants a surge in Afganistan too. His web site has changed about the surge in Iraq too. Obama is backpeddling at full speed.

July 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Linda, Los Angeles

Isn't it funny that McCain now agrees that Afghanistan needs to be a focus. McCain is using a war that is still going on as an example of a war won?????

July 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Shannon

John, I respectfully disagree. McCain's response is I know war and how to win them. Obama had a far-reaching and extremely well thought out plan! One that McCain is now copying.

July 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Lisa in Miami

I think Obama makes a good point – Bush / McCain say we need to stay when violence is up AND when violence is down. So, if that's the case, WHEN do they want to get out? Under what conditions? Bush obviously has no clue and McCain has no plan/answer.

July 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I'm surprised that Obama and McCain are so close in the polls. I guess we are still a country split in two.

July 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The hard line is what drove Iran to the table. They have a choice, talk or Isreal attacks.

July 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Frieda

I do not understand, why when President Bush's Administration is doing something positive, you try to attribute it to the politician Obama. Talks may have been going on for some time now. Probably up the ladder to now the 3rd rank. Have we not always tried to have talks before we take an action in the United States? It has nothing to do with Obama or Sen. McCain.

July 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |