July 14th, 2008

New Yorker cover - Satire or smear?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/14/art.tiltedobama.jpg width=292 height=320]
Gina McCauley
Blogger and founder
Oh yes folks, Liberal creatives are having a field day this election season with their depictions of Michelle Obama. Proving that you can revel in racist depictions of Black people as long as you have a really good reason.

We previously showed you a "satirical" piece where Michelle was depicted being lynched by the Klan( Michelle Obama Depicted Being Tortured: Liberal Bloggers Lose Their Ever Loving Minds)

Now they are back at it depicting her as a terrorist rocking an afro and a machine gun. Barack Obama offered his standard response: None at all. (the campaign later issued a statement after his initial non committal response)I am beginning to see the wisdom of his silence, this is going to go on and on and on for the next five months he might as well save up for October:

Keep reading

Editor's Note: Gina McCauley is the founder of Blogging While Brown, Michelle Obama Watch, and What About Our Daughters?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Raw Politics
  1. Larry

If the intent of the New Yorker cover was to discredit the false accusations against Obama, that does not come across at all. Instead, people will likely glance at the cover and the false accusations that the Obamas are Muslim and unpatriotic will be reinforced. Most of those people will not even bother to read whatever it is that the article says in print.

July 14, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  2. janinpa

I do not subscribe to The New Yorker, but if I did, I would cancel. This is a prime example of professionals (in this case journalists) assuming that everyone sees the world as they do. The cover doesn't even have the title of the article on it, which perhaps may have indicated that it was not supposed to be taken literally.
    I rarely agree with Mr Bennnett, but tonight I'm with him 100%. Colbert is a satirist; this is fear-mongering.
    I have rarely seen a candidate so undermined by his own side ; I assume The New Yorker was supposed to point out the "stereotypes" that they instead helped perpetuate.

July 14, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  3. Ed

What a raw insult to a presidential candidate, to be aligned with the responsible entity that took so many lives in New York and abroad. Satire? The deaths of our American citizens must fall litely on there conscious to depict Obama and his wife in such giddy satire. How would the jewish community feel if the holocaust was used in this manner.

July 14, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  4. Chris

If you still think Obama is a Muslim, then you are an idiot. The New Yorker has been famous for it's satirical cartoons for a long while. (does the name James Thurber ring a bell?) This cartoon was obviously done in satire.

July 14, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  5. Lisa

I think the New Yorker cover was done in a ignorant and distasteful way. How can you ever think this is satire? How stupid could they be. This is outrageous....There was no explantion on the cover. Why would you have a picture of bin laden...Your magazine is really distasteful... Do you really need to sell your magazines? How sad...I will never buy your magzine and I will tell all my friends not to.

July 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  6. Doreen

The New Yorker magazine hates the Muslim world. My mother was Muslim and was a kind person. American's who hate Obama will stop at nothing. The world is watching and America is showing her true colors.

July 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  7. Rodman L Singleton

Firstly, I'll give background about myself. I am a 25 year-old African-American from SC. I understand why the visceral response to this would be of offense and construed as racist , because the paper erred by leaving out caption. However, it is clear to me that its intent was to incite a totally opposite reaction. I believe that all the images depicted in the cartoon are radical, racist ideas that have been utilized to satire the media and opponents to Obama who’ve used these things to discredit his campaign. Honestly, its the first way in which I viewed the picture. Not until the media blew the whole thing out of context throughout the day, did I realize that many people were offended by this. Come on…you can’t believe a credible paper like the New Yorker allowed an editorial that hosts the belief that Obama is a flag-burnin’, turbin-adorned, Bin-Laden sympathizin’, fist-pounding radical, with an AK-47 assault rifle toting wife. Even for an abashedly racist institution to espouse these beliefs would be counter to their economic interests. Blacks have not become that irrelevant in America, that a profit-driven media entity would jeopardize their image in a racist endeavor! How about AC start inviting some average people of intelligence to come and share their views for once, because frankly all the so-called black intelligentsia that were on today lacked critical analysis of this entire situation and used it to make all Afro-Americans appear overly sensitive to these types of satire that require intelligence to receive their message accurately. I am not offended!

July 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  8. Y Waters

I'm sick and tired of people saying that they don't know who Senator Barack Obama is!!! Why is this? Is it because his father wasn't a President, but a black man, or because his family wasn't rich, because he didn't marry wealthy or doesn't pay more attention to Washington insiders, but rather the average American. Accept him and Michelle for what they are...smart , intelligent , educated, and enthusiastic Americans who want to make a difference in this country.
    There's nothing satirical about that or the cover of The New Yorker.
    It's ignorant and so are the other smears being made about The Obama's. I'm not laughing, but infuriated!!!

July 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  9. Sam

All the CNN reporters are saying he is not a Muslim. He is not but what if he was? No one seems to question the fact that no one even questioned Joe Lieberman as Jewish when he was running for VP. So why Muslim.
    Are we Americans we becoming ignorant and think ALL Muslims are bad people. Come on folks....

July 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  10. Brenda Langston

The cover was a bad decision for the New Yorker. I guess things like this should be expected when running for the highest office in the land. Overall we should be thankful that we live in a country where every citizen has the right to freedom of speech.

July 14, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  11. Lois

That is a disgusting and tasteless display on the Obamas on the New Yorker magazine cover......it's all lies.....satire??? you've got to be kidding.

July 14, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  12. Jackie

I am a registered Democrate and I live in Florida and was not offended at all by the cartoon. As a matter of fact, I think it fit the Obamas perfectly. It was a great cartoon.! I say if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Thank you for the opportunity to share my comment.
    Jackie from Florida

July 14, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  13. Jasmine

good question Melissa. Because that is different. Everyone knows that Bush is from the south and that he is kind of dumb. But people do not know alot about the Obamas and to breathe life into the body of lies rumors and speculation is not funny it is just stupid. If Mccains were on the cover in KKK attire would there be a uproar? Yes because it is a complete falsehood.

July 14, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  14. Kerri

I love the cover. I happen to think it DOES speak to the fears in America about this candidate. The majority of Americans harbor these thoughts and feelings about the Obamas. That is why the democratic nominee needs to be HRC. That is, of course, if we want a democratic White House next year.
    The article also, is quite elucidating. Providing the needed Bio on this unknown senator from Illinoise. The only problem, of course, for the Obama camp is that it paints a portrait of Obama which says he's exactly politics as usual. Aside from having quite the over-blown ego, Obama has shown he is all about Obama.
    Kudos to the New Yorker for stepping UP and addressing the current, vital pulse of America...as usual!

July 14, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  15. Rocky

The article inside the magazine should have gone after the right wing hate mongers who propagate these smears, instead of a bio article about the Obama family.

July 14, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  16. Vero T

Go New Yorker and Freedom of Speech! The rest of you need to get over it. Personally I did enjoy the satire. Thanks a lot.

July 14, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  17. Kathy

Satire like this doesn't work because there is still a massive effort online of people forwarding emails listing all the (untrue) facts about Obama being Muslim and not saluting the flag, and Michelle being "Unamerican" I have had this same email forwarded to me countless times, from people who seriously believe it. Those same people will see the New Yorker cover as a serious statement, not as satire....and they will spread the word!

July 14, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  18. Jeremy

The 1st amendment provides all Americans with the Freedom of the Press. It has honestly not been proven that the cover of The New Yorker might actually be true. This nation is Christian and his connections to the Muslim religion is very scary.

July 14, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  19. Sharon Bochkay

The staff on Anderson Cooper must not realize that many of us watch Larry King as well. The interview tonight regarding the cover of The New Yorker was exactly word for word from the interview on Larry King and the only difference was that Anderson was asking the same questions. I am really surprised that this was done.

July 14, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  20. LG from NH

If the New Yorker really meant "no harm", then they should make the next cover a satire on John McCain. How about him in the Oval Office surrounded by geriatric nurses, an oxygen tank, etc.

July 14, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  21. Diane Bove

It's satire, meant to criticize the ridiculous lies flying around the internet. The problem is that there are a lot of people that are too stupid to recognize satire, and, in fact, see it as an affirmation of their fears.

July 14, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  22. S.H.

To the staff of the New Yorker:
    If you call this satire, then you have just destroyed your freedom as a publication. This is an absolute smear of racial profiling on Barack & Michelle Obama and the Muslim religion. For those individuals who carry ignorance and closed minds will only look at the cover to enhance their already idiotic thoughts and opinions.

This cover has over shadowed the inside article, and defintely gone too far in showing your total lack of taste & responsibility. If this was your way of expressing humorous satire , YOU MISSED THE BOAT ON THIS ONE.

July 14, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  23. Steve Dodd

Last time I looked we lived in a society with a free press. Will this decide anything? Nope, don't think so, and how did this merit a whole evening of news? I believe Phil Gramm got it right last week when he called the United States "a nation of whiners" Personally, I liked Jesse Jackson's remarks much better than this silly magazine cover.

July 14, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  24. Donna Rhodes

As a long timesubscriber to The New Yorker magazine I am very disappointed in their meaning of satire and wonder if they will grace their next cover with an equally satirical cover of the McCains? I am so sorry that in this day and age that citizens of this wonderful country cannot put bigotry and racism behind them, and this includes my friends (maybe former friends now), who forward email hysterical, demeaning rants re the Obamas that i now delete. And no I will not vote for obma this time, but perhaps next ime. thank you.

July 14, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  25. Barbar

To Charlie Thomas.
    fyi–this country was forged by very religious men.
    The only true intetion of those men concering religion; was to insure feligous freedom and to never have a government that didnot interfere or dictate what a man must believe. The tem commandments are of value to civilizations as a base for rule of law.

July 14, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  26. Louise Brown

I grew up with parents who told me that it is as much a sin to take offense as it is to give it. How many of us have had an airbrush artist do our portraits that was a little "off". Keep our humor. It is a CARTOON. Media is taking this too far. All these debates???? What a WASTE of air time. What about Iraq and Afghanistan, tragedies of mother nature across the U.S. We never hear about how the new MARS lander is doing. 2 minutes to Iraq and an hour for the New Yorker.
    Give Americans credit that we have brains and can quickly make our own impressions.
    It is sad....because now when these silly debates go on.....and on....most of America now turns the channel, like I am going to do now, Anderson.

Louise

July 14, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  27. S. Bernard

I have always had a high degree of respect for the New Yorker Magazine across the years, but this cover crosses the line. It is incendiary, irresponsible, and shows really bad judgment by the magazine's editors.

While the intent may have been satire, at what point do we declare our media's action as libel, and hold them accountable?

This cover is inflamatory!!!! A burned flag (unpatriotic), making Obama to appear as a muslim looking like Osama (a foolish association with the 9/11 tragedy – very distasteful), dressing his wife as a terrorist and militant engaging in a fist bump (exploits the race issue in the worst possible way), with the backdrop being the White House (designed to strikes fear in the hearts of whites in America suggesting that an unruly black terrorist is reaching for the highest office of the country)..

The risks of publishing this cover and releasing it to the American public, is just too great. It can only lead to a destructive end, serving only to ignite extreme segments of an already polarize and racially charged populace.

July 14, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  28. Melissa

What if the cover were of George W. Bush with two teeth, a piece of straw hanging out of his mouth wearing a dunce cap with a rather large pistol hanging off his hip? Would people laugh, or would the same uproar be happening?

July 14, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  29. Bobbie Fine

What I don't understand and have a very hard time digesting it the publics notion that Muslim are bad people and that IF Mr. Obama was Muslim that somehow makes him a "terrorist". I've been raised an "American Muslim" my entire life and yes there are millions of us (that's millions as in plural) and I've never considered being a terrorist, supporting terrorism or condoning any acts of terror. If Mr. Obama was Muslim I'm sure he'd practice his faith with the same compassion, love and respect for all religious and spiritual people as I was raised. Being an American Muslim only essentuates the teaching of Islam to learn and respect all mono-theistic faith and let God be the judge. The acts committed by radical extremist are done by insecure, misguided, spineless INDIVIDUALS who need to follow something or anything and you see these faces in all religions. Hell, you see them in the gang culture here and in the schools as well when kids who feel like they don't belong deem it necessary to take the life of other because of their own miserable existence. You don't hear people saying could John McCain have been one of the Trench Coat Mafia or possible belonged to the same church as the Christian guy Timothy McVeigh. America needs to stop Muslim bashing and use your internet as more than just a tool to Google the next celebrity gossip or put up some mindless Youtube stunt but to find out about cultures other than your own and then maybe the fear will go away. Then it wont matter if Mr. Obama is Muslim, Jewish or Buddhist he'd be looked at as an American and nothing else.

July 14, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  30. Linda, Los Angeles

F.T.'s comments says it all. There is no truth in this picture. The problem is people like F.T. miss the point and try to make it something else.

Trying to link Obama to everyone he has ever met is pitiful. I'm sure there are people you have met, "associates" that do not speak for you. Ayers was a casual acquaintance. Wright is a pastor and Flager spoke at Obama's church. Does this make he anti-america....don't think so.

When Obama becomes President, i think the terrorist will be more afraid because he is actually focusing on the areas that they are hiding.

July 14, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  31. eloise simmons

I was in shock when I saw this picture. I agree with the writer who said the sheets were off but we continue to feel the flame from the burning crosses. Yes we have freedom of speech; however, this is like yelling fire in a crowded room. We use The Constitution to get away with hurtful and dumb things. Who would ever think this picture is ok and funny? We like to say that this country is not racist and many people really think that racism is not a problem in America. What does wearing a flag pin have to do with whether one is a true American? My daughter has done two tours in Iraq and never wears a flag pin. Shame on us , for we can't find any other reason to support a canidate of color we will find excuses like he is Muslin or not wear a flag pin. And speaking of The Constitution it also gives us freedom of religon. What if a Muslin really want to run for president? He or she has a right to do so. Although I understand why people are afraid of Muslums because of 911 but I do believe that most intelligent Americans know that Obama is not Muslin I have never seen so much disrespect for a canidates wife as I have of Michelle Obama. What have we seen negative and disrespectful about Mc cains wife? Shame on you America ; how can we ever move forward and get pass this. We are suffering with gas prices, house forclosures, grocery bills, homeless children, and huge drug problems and we put all this effort in division of our country. Maybe this is why we are in a recession because someone want to keep division alive and kicking. Many people are so afraid that Obama may do a good job as president.

July 14, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  32. Reid GILBERT

Satire is humour meant to reform or improve. It is important when using literay terms to use them correctly. The New Yorker should know this. Take, for example, the cartoon of George Bush and Dick Cheney; this cartoon could prompt Bush to be less subservient to Cheney – to amend. The Obama cartoon is not satire. Obama cannot amend being Muslim as he is not Muslim. The only possible reform depicted in this cartoon might be for Michelle Obama to be less independent, less powerful. Surely, the New Yorker does not intend for women to be submissive. CNN should insist on correct use of powerful terms. R. Gilbert.

July 14, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  33. Shirley Brown

If my thoughts are offensive, I am sorry. I do feel that this cover will not be taken as intended and a lot of Americans feel as I do.

I do feel that a lot of Americans feel as I do.

July 14, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  34. Tracey, NY

I do read the "New Yorker" every now and then and have always found the articles to be enlightening,but after seeing and reading this article, I'm confused. The cover and article doesn't make any sense. The article is about Obama's era in Chicago. So the question i have to the New Yorker, "Exactly what is the point or pun that you wanted us readers to conclude? The Editor missed the "pun" intend.

This only adds fuel to an issue that is so NOT important!!! Please focus on the real issues at hand!!!!

July 14, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  35. Yanatha

We should be glad we live in a country that gives you freedom on the press and speech, but that is not always the case....They need to draw Bush sniffing coke and bottle of brandy near him on a table seeing the constitution burnt...and what would be the response then no one would be laughing.

July 14, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  36. jenny

The New Yorker is a magazine which created a history with its co vers. This is simply an expression of art. Can't we just accept it for what it is! ART! Can't anyone say anything negative on this campaign? Do we have to take it so personal? Every campaign has gone through some sort of scrutiny – why not this one? it is just politics and we should all be free to express ourselves! Senator Obama should move on – it is just simple satire – they do this over and over again. what is wrong with it? every politician gets it – specially in New Yorker, which by the way, is a very informative magazine.

July 14, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  37. herbert pursley

Funny? Not! I'm a republican and although I have a difference of opinion with the Obama campaign, I'm educated as to what is rumor and lies. For every person who knows he is a christian and loves his country, there are 20 who don't take the time to find out the truth. These are the ones who will look at that cover and take it as fact. I'm insulted and angry that a magizine would do this to any american family, politics or not.

July 14, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  38. Louise Brown

Highschool graduate or a Ph.D... it is just a CARTOON. Cartoons are meant to be jokes/ funny, even if the New Yorker makes it satire. I f everyone had just ignored it millions of us would never have even heard about the front page of the New Yorker and it really would NOT have been an issue. The MEDIA made it a story! We have Obama (and Clinton) and McCain in our faces, up the hoop, for the past 'forever' , 24×7. We KNOW who Obama is. I guess press is press and this will bring his name to the spotlight once again. Everyone, including the media, should keep things in perspective, move to the things that are important to America. Gas prices, financial crisis, mortgage crisis, flooding, selling America to foreigners one piece at a time (now Belgian Bud) etc. etc. etc. All this TV time WASTED on a CARTOON makes me think the focus from the press is a little off center. Let's regroup and get down to the things that really matter in America, to America and for America.

Louise

July 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  39. Jasmine

This cartoon is crazy. But this is what angers me more is the fact that many people believe that america would be lost if we had a muslim as president. Well we have a christian in there now and look at all the trouble we are in. America needs to change and if that change starts with the leaders than it would trickle down to us.

July 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  40. Martyn

Of course it is the most offensive, racist, sexist "satire" portrayed on any magazine cover but you " youngsters" don't get it. Michelle Obama is being portrayed as Angela ( I can't remember her name but she was a compatriot of Bobby Seale or one of those guys from Berkeley in the 60's) The afro, the boots, the AK, it's all Angela.
    This is why I am a recovering Republican and former Conservative. I admired William Buckley. I think he would have been outraged by this. Conservatism and the Republican party have been taken over by the Religious Right, Rush Limbaugh, the mediocre , the un-educated and the fearful.
    This cover on New Yorker plays right into their hands.
    Martyn

July 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  41. Larry Metzler

Everyone should go to Webster, Random House or the OED (especially the editors of the New Yorker). Satire requires revealing the vice, folly or evil of the target: see Moliere or Humpty Dumpty. If the caroonish cover had been drawn depicting a Rush "ditto head" drawing a childish cartoon it wiould have been on target making the object the rightwing lemmings not the Obamas. Why didn't they show the daughters rejoicing?

July 14, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  42. amina nashville TN

well well
    shows how AMERICA is not over race and issues. a black candidate is running and what do we get a slur to his race and a slur to a religion he is not even following. and we are suppose to be a melting pot. wow so much for diversity when we have no respect towards each other.

by the way with those people thinking that he is muslim. what is wrong with being muslim, is that suppose to mean that muslims are not american or not patriotic? when are we going to move beyond this?

July 14, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  43. Barbar

The New Yorker cover is offensive in every way.
    Another example: of the gap in the lives and hearts of the majority of Americans and of the very rich.
    The cover is capitalizing on fear mongering. She is portrayed like some kind of Blackpanther. And Senator Obama as a terrorist.
    But the real kicker; that should have every American boycotting that magazine. Is the burning flag, in the fireplace. The cover has many subtle negative massages that will hit hard the hearts of every American.

That cover is un-American. I do not believe that the people that had a hand in the publication; Love the United States of America.

July 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  44. Ed, Tampa Fl

F.T.
    You are wrong and scared. But Im not going to slam your comment. Join the Obama team. Come on get on the winning team....

July 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Amy

If you are stupid enough to think that Barack Obama truly is a Muslim terrorist, you are too stupid to understand satire.

July 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Janet Weiblen

Shame, shame, shame on the New Yorker. This may be a case of the intelligentia thinking that they're using satire, but most of the citizens of the US aren't intellectuals and satire isn't necessarily something they understand. Instead, this cover appeals to all those who think that Obama is a Muslim and his wife is a terrorist. It is, to say the least, inflammatory. And we've had enough of that already in this campaign to last a life time. If the article had expalined the thinking behind the cover, that "might" have exonerated it. But it doesn't. Poor, poor choice

July 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  47. TONI

How come the cover of the New Yorker brings so many up in arms when all of the media put the Clintons down and there was "no problem?" Sounds like reverse discrimination to me! I had every intention of voting for Obama, but, his "whining, pouty camp" drive me away! Obama's "Camp", get a life! Obama can stand on his own merit, he does not need watch dogs behind him offending every single solitary thing that is said or done! You are like a bunch of "over protective mothers!" For pete's sake...let your son grow up! By the way, the New Yorker is definitely satire if you are intelligent enough to "get it." Obama is responding in the best way...very admirable.

July 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Josie

WOW !!!

Why do Americans continue to grip over race, sex, religion etc etc.

it's sad, drop the ego's and check the attitude at the door because ever single person is missing the point. Something has to change or the US will be facing even worse times. I feel for my neighbours. Yes, I am Canadian and there is no perfect country and we are all humans and make mistakes but I think the American's have suffered enough.

Move to Canada!!! We have health care and we are not in debt !!!

All the best. and good luck!!

Cheers

July 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Mary Greene

I, personally never like the The New Yorker, but after this, I am glad I didn't. I don't like dumb and stupid people and the staff there seems like this. I like being around smart and good people like the Obamas whom I have met and think they are great people.

Shame on your stupid magazine. How do you think his children feel about this junk of their mother and father. Seemingly, you didn't turn your hate off after 9/11.

This man is running for the President of US and you have the gall and nerve to print on your front cover a shameful and dispicable picture as this. I hope everyone will drop their subscription to show that America has moved beyond the afro, which shows even more stupidity. I am an Obama supporter and find this tasteless and evil. New Yorker, you have to never worry about me buying your magazine because you would be broke and out of business. Times now are too serious to put up with dumb and stupid mess as this. Homeless people, two wars going on where troops are dying, firers, flooding, prison system broken, tornadoes, droughts, just to name a few. Smart people would pick some of the country's problems that we face as foreclosures consume our country and high gas prices. Your patriotism should be question, not the Obamas!

July 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  50. JoAnn B.

The cover of the New Yorker is a poorly thought out attempt at satire. The First Admentment gives those in publishing the right to print. Lawsuits and good taste (or lack thereof) offer a check on that right. Satire is a carefully crafted subject with a hint of truth and offers mirth. The cover does neither. We need to remember the average person most likely has not studied satire. In pockets of America there are those who still question many of our scientific achievements. I was astonished at the large percentages of people who believe Obama is a muslim and all the other issues that are not true of a man who does not look like previous politicians running for president. If this cover helps the public to better understand Obama, then perhaps it will have added to the process. However, if it strengthens lies and misrepresentations, it does a disservice to the voting public. I believe the editors missed the boat on this one and only contributed to personal attacks on Obama instead of contributing to the understanding of the issues facing this country. Might I suggest the next cover of the New Yorker depict a farmer trying to plant corn in his flooded fields; a person waiting for funds from a failed bank, a person filling out a job application; cameras on every utility pole; the oil barrons partying; and the patriot act catching someone (gasp) reading the words of Benjamin Franklin -"We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we will hang separately."

July 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |