July 11th, 2008

Clintons Never Quit: Hillary Clinton

Program Note: When it all began, he was the superstar with the big crowds and big bucks. He had the title she wanted: President Clinton. They both may be down now, but they’re certainly not out. Watch a special hour, “Clintons Never Quit.” Tonight, 10 ET

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/11/art.hillaryclinton.jpg]

Tom Foreman
AC360° Correspondent

Sen. Hillary Clinton once told 60 Minutes "I'm not sitting here...some little woman standing by my man like Tammy Wynette." And she didn’t. She fought long and hard for the Democratic nomination and it would be easy to write her off now that she lost. But there are at least 18 million reasons that can’t happen. That's about how many voters chose Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama and according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll four out of ten democrats still wish she were the nominee.

It’s something the Obama camp is probably considering in the search for his running mate. As CNN Political Analyst Carl Bernstein put it: "I think that if Obama is to choose Hillary Clinton, it will be because he sees he can not win this election clearly, unless he picks her."

Former presidential Adviser, David Gergen, agrees: “Barack Obama is going to keep the door open until the very last moment, the moment of decision about whether he thinks Hillary Clinton ought to be on the ticket. And I think there is a serious possibility she will be on the ticket."

There are other possibilities, of course, other positions that have been raised like Mayor of New York City or even the Governor of New York State. There are also cabinet positions and leadership roles in the Senate. Not lost on Washington insiders, is this: Hillary Clinton could, in fact, by fortifying her status in the Senate actually have more influence over time than she might have had as president. According to CNN political contributor, William Bennett, she could “be elected again and again and again, and get seniority on these positions like armed services and have a profound effect on American political life." It comes down to a delicate dance for Sen. Obama. One way or the other, Hillary Clinton remains a player in his presidential aspirations.

Filed under: Clintons Never Quit • Raw Politics • Tom Foreman
  1. Trasa, Tx

Obama could choose her or not, I'm still voting Obama. Hillary would have been great if chosen, but affortunately it wasn't in the cards for her now. They were both discriminated against and both build up a great coalition. Everyone keeps talking about her supporters but Obama's was even more, with the caucus states. I say they need each other, but I don't like the fact that Obama should put Hillary on the ballot just to get her supporters. He should earn them unlike Hillary, and let's be honest, she had help from her husband. She still worked hard, but I say Obama worked harder, because he was basically a nobody who became somebody. I understand there are those out there that simply won't vote for him and that's fine, they have that right, but I do believe he can win with or without her. The difference may be greater with Hillary on the ticket, but I say, a win is win, no matter how small or great the percentage is. Besides, I don't see Hillary taking the back seat being VP. She most likely stay in the Senate or if offered a great spot in the Obama administration, she'll take that offer as long as it allows her to make a real contribution.

July 12, 2008 at 1:26 am |
  2. nanao

OBAMA WON. HE HAS THE MOST PLEDGED DELEGATES.
    It's time to let go and accept that. This pressure on Ob ama to choose her "or else" is making him look soooo weak. That is not good for the leader of the free world to be forced intop that position. He's the one who's got to live with the VP, not us. Because they really don't have any power beyond what the president gives them. The Clintons will be fighting O behind the scenes EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. He cannot govern like that. Look she's a Senator, that's a pretty high office with power. She needs to let go and so do her supporters. It's obvious something is making him hesitate, it's probably all the baggage and wear and tear and drama that comes with The Clintons. I feel sorry for him, and that's not how one should feel for the first AA nominee of a major party. People need to chill. Let him make the choice and STOP FORCING THE CLINTONS ON EVERYBODY.

July 12, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  3. multus vult

Who produced this piece of trash? Great idea - assemble the Hillary haters (Bill Bennett?!! Carl Bernstein, who when talking about Hillary's qualifications expressed disgust at her thick ankles??!) and vomit back up every withered right wing talking point, call it a documentary. CNN, you disgust me. You and your "neutral" commentators, like Donna Brazile and Roland Martin have been spewing this garbage all year, screeching at her to get out of the race, sneering your misogynist fake news. The same "she'll do anything to win" Billary mythology, coming out of the mouths of democrats and journalists with every bit as much glee as when it came from the far right. Great stuff, like "she could still GRAB the VP slot."
    You won, OK? If you don't have the journalistic integrity to tell the truth, at least you can refrain from rummaging through the garbage at the funeral.
    Oh, and speaking of doing anything to win, you sure did pick a winner in Obama. I'll bet Time Warner Telcom must be happy with their chosen one.

July 12, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  4. GAIL Centre,Al;

Obama better take a second look at hillary, he can't do it without her. He hasn't won any big states, the votes wouldn't have been so close if it weren't for the caucaus's there won't be any caucaus, in the general election. MCcain will win the big states, and beat OBAMa, because he'll have Hillary's votes too.

July 12, 2008 at 12:46 am |
  5. Jacqueline Anderson

I tried to calmly sit through tonight's Anderson Cooper "Special" entitled "The Clintons Never Quit" and this love – fest with the Clintons was just a bit too much. Every statement, every commentator, and every shot of the Clintons brought back the horrific statements and innuendos made by the Clintons - statements that I thought would never come from a Clinton's lips. I still believe the Clintons haven't stopped their/her run for the presidency and I won't believe it - nor contribute to her "campaign" - until I see what happens in Denver.

On the other hand, the "Special" did make me even more proud of Barack's win in the primaries! He was such the underdog - many, many folks - I dare say most folks thought Barack did not have a chance, and for that reason, they initally supported the Clintons. But, the Clintons completely "lost it", and Americans came together, listened to Barack's message, and liked what they heard. Even the "bitter Hillarys", Republicans, and Fox News who continue to try to smear him cannot weaken the man nor his message.

July 12, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  6. Bill from Alabama

I'm with Lisa........if Hillary Clinton managed to get the popular vote with all of the media,Obama's big buck$, and the DNC'S disenfranchisements against her,imagine what her numbers would have been if there had been voting in all states instead of caucusing,if states had been opened to all voters instead of just registered Democrats,if Texas hadn't been allowed to vote and caucus,and if two heavy Clinton States hadn't been punished and striped of votes and delegates. She really won the Democratic Primary......and there is no telling how many more millions did not get to be counted,above and beyond her 18,000,000 known voters. I would vote for Hillary Clinton for President,on any ticket......even an Independent one. She could not only be the first Woman President,but could ,also,win as the first "Independent"," People's Choice" President ,in American History.Now that would be a race worth fighting for........the voice of the middle and working classes having the final say. Maybe the DNC and the media would cop a different attitude for future elections,if the people were allowed to really take charge..

July 12, 2008 at 12:30 am |
  7. seah

When you look at the big picture, Hillary looks better now than the other 2 candidates.

Obama has finally gone off the deep end. With some of the stuff he has come up with recently He is showing signs of mental stress or a complete breakdown.

How much more will his followers take.

July 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  8. James Dylan

I have seen no greater value, moral, attribute, or any other word, thing greater in America than the "never quit" attitude and being. Nothing compares; every barrier becomes just a mere obstacle to step over, crawl under, go around, or simply move out of the way. There is nothing more American than that. Hillary Clinton truly exemplifies this and will always have my admiration. Her role and legacy in this nation will never stop. It has been said that a person doesn't die until everything they've changed has died.
    As for her possible VP spot, a position I had once believed she should take and stated I would not vote for Obama unless, I would advise her don't take it. Since the end of the nomination process I have grown incredibly leery of Obama because I feel I've got to know him better; that is to say seen through him in many instances. I don't like what I see and her role alone side him will not change my eye sight.
    I truly believe McCain will be a safer president. Yet again a vote for the lesser of two evils and strongly feel the rest of the country believes the same, regardless of what meaningless polls say. McCain too has demonstrated a "never quit" attitude throughout his life and campaign. Also during a time of war is not a time to take a chance with an unvetted politician. There are to many decisions to make that the public may not like and he lacks the strength, ability to further alienate his followers by doing what maybe necessary.
    Furthermore, it is a fact, that if Clinton and Obama had been in the actual Presidential race, electoral college, instead of the nomination process, delegates and super-delegates, she would have blown him out. I also believe that if the nomination process was to happen again today she would win. But, what's done is done. Hopefully we will only have to live with for the next four years.

July 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  9. G. G.

When Bill Bennett is the only who gets it on this show as to what Prima Donna Brazile and the rest pulled - to the great detriment of any real discussion of race in this country now - there have to be questions about the decisions made in whom to interview. And Carl Bernstein, the guy who made the crack about Clinton's ankles? C'mon. As for Tara Wall, she really doesn't get it about gendered media messages - or maybe she does, but her bias came through already in this campaign, too.

Much of this show was good, overall. But the last thing we needed to see was yet more pundits blathering. Next time, get interesting observers not yet heard from like historian Sean Willentz, Joe Wilson, etc. They were the ones worth reading in this campaign, if nowhere near often enough.

Until then, I'm still waiting for the show that tells us what really happened - with analysis of the media games played, the DNC games played, the caucus games played. The media won't really report on the media games, of course, but there are good studies on the way that I've already heard in progress. And we all could see exactly what the DNC played, by the end, which - with a review of the August 2006 rules meeting, still on CSpan archives - made clear the coup within the party leadership. As for the caucuses, read the comments in the local online papers in states with caucuses, like the Des Moines Register.

There is quite a story there. But it would take real reporting to do it. So we'll have to wait for the historians, after all.

July 11, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Bhaskar

Hillary Clinton became my hero after the primary season. She kept fighting despite all odds, and despite CNN, MSNBC fought to death to beat her.
    Life is not fair and I failed many times. I will fail again but I will not quit but fight back. I will always remember president Clinton saying "my family is not big on quitting". That's what I love about the Clinton's.
    I respect intelligent people. President Clinton is one of the smartest man on Earth. He gave the biggest peace and prosperity to America in the 90's.
    Will always wish the best for the Clinton's.

July 11, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  11. don stone

Anderson,

You and your lazy network CNN consistently short change the American viewers by your constant repetitive news broadcast that often lack depth. You spur out the the same monotonic garbage night after night despite the variety of news you can present given the depth and breath of this country. A point in case is the "Clintons Never Quit", your interviews were shallow & despite the range of people you could have interviewed for the presentation, you interviewed the same old boring people that had always been on your show. Shame on you for such a poor professional display, what do the producers in your backroom do all day? Bring back the old days of the BBC when documentaries are still documentaries.

July 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  12. sallywally

Clinton did win nearly/at least half of the Dem votes in the primaries. She showed remarkable courage, vision and vitality in the face of abuse from the cable, print and mainstream media, underhanded politics from the Obama campaign and supporters, and the efforts of the Democratic Party leadership to force her out of the campaign and install Obama despite a questionable "win" on his part.. She was growing stronger by the day in the last weeks of the primary campaign and that strength brought a lot of voters to her side.

Her debt is being retired by her own supporters, despite some comments in this thread. And she will have our support straight through. I would prefer to see her as a loyal advocate and sometimes opposition to Obama if he reaches the White House than to see her as Vice President.

Her practical, progressive (more so than Obama even before he flipped on so many positions in the past few weeks) policies and ideas are profoundly needed in this awful time in our country.

And, unlike Obama, she voted against the unconstitutional FISA bill.

July 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  13. Paul

Anderson,
    That was a very interesting story you did about Hillary. It was very balanced and captivitating. The Clinton will go down in history as the political family of the century.

Kudos

July 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  14. gretchen atlanta,ga

A all you hillary supporters who claim to be democrat,and
    then turn around and vote republican out of anger,really
    need to think of this country and what's happening to us
    please don't allow your racial bias pollute your good
    common sense. hillary's ideas are very close to obama's
    ideas.We must come together and solve these grave issues
    that is affecting this country. And please tell her 18 million
    to contribute a dollar each to lesson her debt ,if you're
    out there prove it!!!!!!

July 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  15. lampe

If Obama does not win how about you supporters of his being grown -ups and just admit that maybe he was not the right man for the job. You call all Clinton supporters babies and sore losers. Well we will see just how grown-up and what kind of losers you will be. Put on your big-girl panties and deal with it.

July 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Karleen

Hillary supporters want her on the ballot or there will be us who encourage other independent choices. Sexism is alive in America calling her arrogant on this show not to mention other many examples of how the press beat her down every chance they could and she still was able to get half the vote. Imagine if the media treated her like Obama, like he could do no wrong. He also took her strategy plan about 2 months after hearing her speaking in debates and copied it for his own. She has a long future a head of her.

July 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  17. lampe

T he DNC stole this race from Sen. Clinton no ifs ands or buts about it. If Obama was not a man or not Black he would not have gotten the votes he got. And no matter what any of you haters say, Sen. Clinton did get all those votes, and like it or not people were voting for her right up to the last day. before the DNC stole the election that is the only way Obama won. Please Let CNN fill your heads with more of their Pro- Obama trash. This was a race about nothing more than racism and sexism. and any woman who would vote for someone like that is a disgrace.

July 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Lisa Townsend

I'm a staunch Hillary supporter. I will not vote for either of the men, no matter what, as they are not nearly as qualified. I believe she was slighted by Dem's because she's a woman and because she's a Clinton. Bill hurt her campaign. I agree that she could win in 4 years. This was just her first try. As an Independent, it doesn't matter to me if Obama or McCain gets in as I don't believe either of them will do a good job. McCain is too much like Bush and Obama is too inexperienced and ego driven.

If McCain wins because the Dems left Hillary in the dust, that will be what they deserve and make Hillary look all that much better in 4 years. She is the best candidate, hands down, and they have made the wrong decision, again. I've lost faith in the Democrats. I wouldn't care what party Hilliary was in, I would vote for her.

July 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  19. E. Jones

Why does Carl Berstein feel such a need to dump on Hillary Clinton? Does it help his book sales or something?

July 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Karleen

Hilary was robbed by super delegates and negative press including CNN. I was a avid watcher of CNN and couldn't stand to hear your commentators most of the time and couldn't watch. This campaign proves that sexes is more alive and well then racism. She was clearly more ready and knowledgeable than all of the candidate's put together. She was more than a whisper away from winning and we are wanting her at least as vice president or there is going to be a backlash. I think she should run as a independent .

July 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Tom, I don't think one person alone is going to be able to fix this mess the country is in.. I know they say he'll look weak, or she shouldn't take 2nd.. the more brians the better.. black, white, male, female minds, who cares if the smiles are fake, get the job done.
    have a good wk-end*

July 11, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  22. Debbi

I will not vote in this election if Hillary Clinton is not on the Democratic ballot as Barack Obama's Vice Presidential running mate.

July 11, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  23. Annie Kate

Hillary is by all reports a hard working Senator who is well versed in the issues that Congress tackles. Senator Edward Kennedy after his abortive run for the Presidency chose to stay in the Senate and make his contribution there – I hope Hilliary does the same. She can make a lasting contribution from the Senate in the legislation she helps formulate and pass; with the complexity of problems the US faces in the years to come I'm glad that someone with Hilary's smarts and creative solutions is working in the Senate for all of us.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 11, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  24. aj

The Whole family are puppets. They are being paid to promote Barrack Hussein Obama. They are not promoting him because they believe in him. They are making it their business because they have a boot pressed against their derries to do it -with smiles on!

July 11, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  25. Phil Florence

Thank GOD we will not have to suffer her presidency!

July 11, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  26. Mae1

Oh come on, CNN! Will you give it a rest! What are you, Hillary & Bill Clinton's personal advocates! The only people putting pressure on Barack are all of you!!. Why? Because you don't want a African-American in the White House?! Let Barack make his choice without you guys putting pressure on him to make Hillary his VP. Hasn't the Clintons muddy up the White House enough! And by the way, if you don't want to vote for Barack, then don't! But stop trying to sway others to FOLLOW YOUR LEAD!!! WE DON'T WANT nor DO WE NEED MORE BUSHES or CLINTONS IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!
    oh BTW, WOULD PLEASE STOP PERPETRATING THAT LIE THAT CLINTON WON 18M VOTES. SHE DID NOT!!! WE ALL CAN COUNT TOO, YOU KNOW!!!

July 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  27. Janie

I support Senator Clinton. I donated to her campaign several times and encouraged my friends and family to do so as well. Senator Obama may receive my vote, but unless Senator Clinton is on the national ticket, I will no longer donate to the Democratic party. I have told that fact to the many callers who have asked for my contribution this month.. It is interesting to me that the Obama campaign has my number, but he is unwilling to share his donors list with Hillary. Unless he does, he will not receive either my support, or my vote.

July 11, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  28. Deborah

Whether or not he can win without her, I feel that it is a certainty that he can win with her. I believe they would be an unstopable duo, but would it be the right career choice for her? As a supporter of Sen. Clinton, I feel the country is best served with her in the Senate.

Deborah Fries,
    Seattle, WA

July 11, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  29. Mary T.

Clintons may never quit, but maybe just maybe this time they should have.
    Hilary is in deep debt, she prolonged the primary season, and also
    left precious little time to raise money for the democratic convention
    and little time to properly organize it. And then it wasn't a graceful
    exit. It was filled with demands and a half hearted pledge to support
    Obama. All in all, if Obama doesn't win, she will have to take a lot ot
    the blame for all the damage she has done to the party. Might even
    wreck her senate career. This is one time she should have quit.
    Go Obama!

July 11, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  30. michelina

You better do more research-It's NOT HIS DECISION< it HERS, and believe me and her millions of supporters.

NO VP--not for him, tell him to chose DEAN or PELOSI, they'll find a corrupt way to LOSE, just like they lost the primaries.

July 11, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  31. lampe

Sen. Clinton has always been a fighter, and she will remain one. Why should she give up her passion for anyone. She will be POTUS one day. The reason she is not right now is because thegood-ole boys just can't stand the idea of havind to answer to a woman. I hope this gets posted, because I have a hard time at getting my voice heard on CNN. Anderson, I thought you were a fair-minded man. I guess you are just another one of the good-ole boys.

July 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  32. sean Damson

Still won't vote for Obama. I now support Mcain

July 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  33. Debbie, NJ

Hillary doesn't have 18 million supporters. If she did she would not still be in debt. It doesn't take a genius or reporter to figure this one out. How many of those 18 million were Rep. just trying to stop Obama.

July 11, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  34. Susan

Tom:

Senator Clinton would be wise to stay in the Senate. Since you can not legislate from the White House ( she tried that with healthcare ) she will have more power in the Senate to pass legislation on the issues that mattered to her so much during the campaign. She is a very hard working Senator who works very well on a bi-partison basis.
    She has the ability and the skill to become akin to Senator Ted Kennedy in the body of legislation that she can get passed.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

July 11, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  35. MadamPresident

We do not want her in any other position except the presidency.

July 11, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  36. Harvey

I will always support Hillary Clinton..if she is not on the ticket as VP then John McCain will get my vote PERIOD

July 11, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  37. Miryam Spencer

Mr. Foreman, what you just said is so true. ” It comes down to a delicate dance for Sen. Obama. One way or the other, Hillary Clinton remains a player in his presidential aspirations." I strongly agree with you. I am one of those Clinton voters who will only vote for OBAMA if Hillary is on the ticket. I am so angry with the party.

July 11, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  38. Jara Mazgut

I do admire Hillary and do wish for her if possible to come back and fight it to the end. I will always stand by Clintons. My family came to US in late 80s. The economy was in bad shape. President Clinton is for me and will always be the future hope. With these 2 candidates there is none. So how can i make a sense out of this all? I disagree with Obama and therefore the only way to go is to not vote. For the first time i have become a citizen. And that is sad.

July 11, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  39. karla

What about the millions of Democratic and Independent voters who did NOT vote for Mrs. Clinton because of her SELF serving attitude and inherent lack of integrity (not to speak of her husband's).

Additionally, the "smoke and mirrors" inflated economy which collapsed so quickly (let's not blame it ALL on 911) left many of us with empty coffers when the executives (friends of the Clintons) of so many communications and .com companies simply took their money and ran.

I would give the Clintons my last $3 to just "go away". They can take Mr. Gergen with them!!!

July 11, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  40. Patricia Ganz

Everyone should relax on the "Veep" subject – Obama will determine this at the right time. Meanwhile, let Obama concentrate on Health Care, the Economy, Social Security, Unemployment, International Diplomacy and "War" issues which affect each and every American citizen on a daily basis. Let's get some clarity on direction in this Country. NOW!

July 11, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  41. jan rutter

I highly respect Hillary Clinton and am terribly sad that she is not our democratic candidate. Whether Obama will admit it... has could learn ALOT from her, including her husband, PRESIDENT CLINTON. Still a toss up whether he will get my vote.... Obama has a way of being somewhat cockey and I dont know how to take that.... besides have alot yet to learn.

July 11, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  42. Bill from Boaz, Al.

Hillary Clinton could still be the nominee! As far as I know,we haven't had the Dem. National Convention yet,so Obama is still just the Presumptive Nominee. If enough "Jessie Jacksons" ," Rev. Wrights",and Father Pflegers" raise their heads between now and the Dem. Convention,it is conceiveable that the delegates and super-delegates could still rally toward Hillary Clinton to bail them out of certain defeat. Nothing thrills me more,as a Clinton Supporter,than Obama's apparent decision to not make Clinton an option on his ticket for VP. We don't want her as VP,we want her as President. She is still the main stay for middle-class and working -class society,and she still has us on the side-lines ,holding our breath,tha America will come to it's senses. Obama is far to risky! He is the most inexperienced,liberal,radical,and wishy washy candidate in American History,and will not win this election.

July 11, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  43. JC- Los Angeles

As a registered, undecided Independent, I found Hillary's unwavering determination to be the nominee somewhat of a panacea for the drudgery we have lived through the last eight years.

What I find most interesting is that the eventual victor, Obama, can't seem to shake the runner up; a true leader would have already brought his party together and outlined a strategic vision for the nation.

It's a bit like the Oscars; The DNC seems to have predetermined that Obama would win best actor with Hillary taking best supporting actor.

What the DNC failed to realize was who actually can act best; I'm a firm believer that Hillary's a thespian at heart.

July 11, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  44. Sandra Schwab

I'm eating beans now b/c I spent my extra $ on her campaign. Was it worth it? You betcha! She is inspiring, compelling, intelligent, energetic, A LEADER surpassing all former leaders...no she does not have Bill's sexual, Elvis Presley charisma...what she has, is available energy to LEAD! She knows the world, the executive, judicial and congressional triology in Washington and she has matured and grown while on the campaign trail. Her campaign was like a General Motors or a Microsoft - she was the product. She did a darned good job of executing her product. Anyway, I keep hoping she will walk out on the stage in August and say "I am so sorry but Barrack can't run and I am your candidate for President of the United States of America. I'm in and I'm in to win!"

July 11, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  45. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

I think Obama would be a fool to choose Hillary Clinton as his VP. His whole presidency would be about Hillary, Bill and their Clinton legacy. It wouldn't be about him or more importantly us the American people. The fact that you have 3 posts about each one of the Clintons and how they never quit proves my point. This election is not about them so lets please stay focused.

July 11, 2008 at 11:56 am |
  46. syama

I am glad that we American started understanding the importance of Hillary over who you know. AC and most of the CNN group is sooooo biased against Hillary and now they want to spend this airtime on her? It seems they are still not happy to see why people like her so much. I am sure one day Hillary dislikers will understand and accept her importance in US political system and her contribution as well.

July 11, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  47. Marlon

Hillary may have had 18 million voters, althought, that number is questionable but she didn't have the numbers to reach the nomination. Obama did. To keep harping on the number of voters Clinton may have had is perpetuating the division that's still in the Democratic party. This election is not about Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. It's about getting the Republicans out of office. And Clinton's supporters to side with John McCain is a slap in the face to Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party. We have to think logically. To support someone who opposes the views of Hillary Clinton is not logical. And to say Obama cannot win with Clinton is totally untrue. Obama can win and I'm confident that he will. The Clintons want him to win because they won't be running.

July 11, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  48. Tom

I don't believe she wants to play second fiddle to Sen. Obama, but can never verbalize that. She should sit tight now. Obama will quite possibly loose w/o her, and she can run again in another four years and win hands down. Sen. Clinton is a very smart, patient woman. As long as she gives the appearance of holding the party together, she can write her own ticket in four years.

July 11, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  49. Cindy

No, Hillary can't just be kicked to the curb by Obama or anyone else just because she didn't win the nomination. She still holds a lot of cards that Obama needs to win. He'll play her every chance that he can if it means getting her supporters votes. Even if it means making her his VP. Which honestly I don't think he wants her to be but he may need her in that position to win.

Cindy...Ga.

July 11, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  50. JIM....TEXAS

Tom...if 4 out of 10 wishes she was the nominee still thats 6 out of 10 that don't. Better than 1/2 would be enough to get Obama elected without her an Bill:)

July 11, 2008 at 11:03 am |