July 11th, 2008

Clintons Never Quit: Chelsea Clinton

Program Note: When it all began, he was the superstar with the big crowds and big bucks. He had the title she wanted: President Clinton. They both may be down now, but they’re certainly not out. Watch a special hour, “Clintons Never Quit.” Tonight, 10 ET

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/11/art.chelseaclinton.jpg]

Tom Foreman
AC360° Correspondent

There can be no other childhood in America that quite compares to growing up in the White House. Many children have had the experience and not one adult can rightfully say he or she knows what it would be like. But in this election, a great many people who remembered that little girl from the Clinton White House, were impressed to see Chelsea Clinton as a young woman on the campaign trail.

James Carville is a close friend of the Clinton family: “The whole country has watched her grow, and it's so nice to see a success story like this and to see, you know, somebody we knew as a girl, you know, turn into a really kind of mature, bright, articulate, successful young woman. And i think it's good for other children, particularly young girls, to see."

But will young girls see her following in her parents’ footsteps? Does Chelsea Clinton have political aspiration? CNN senior political analyst David Gergen doesn’t think so: "My bet is that Chelsea Clinton is going to go have a private life, is going to be extraordinarily adventuresome, interesting. She's a young woman who really proved her mettle in this campaign to the public."

Former Clinton adviser, Paul Begala, may just become a current Clinton adviser if Chelsea decides to go into politics: “…I have no idea if Chelsea Clinton really wants to run for office. If she does, you know, I may just quit my gig at CNN and volunteer to be her campaign manager.

Filed under: Clintons Never Quit • Raw Politics • Tom Foreman
  1. Louise

Is their any better evidence PRO the Clintons than the remarkably poised, intelligent and successful young woman they have raised? Chelsea Clinton is a product of wonderful parents and it shows.

July 14, 2008 at 12:30 am |
  2. James Cole

I cannot believe Hillary supporters are still upset about the Primary. I found myself making comments like, "if Hillary wins, then I will vote for John McCain." Yet, I realized that I was only venting my frustration. If it really came down to it, I would never vote Republican again. I voted Republican just once, Ronald Regan. Then he cut the budget on several crucial social programs and cut taxes for the wealthy. One of the cuts was for healthcare, which placed many mentally ill patience out on the streets, many were Vietnam Vets! He also declared the tax cuts would trickle down and create a great benefits for everyone. It was better known as Reganomics. Well, many of us are still waiting for it to trickle down. As a Veteran, experienced Real Estate appraiser, 5 time laid-off manufacturing employee, Christian Elder, and College Graduate, I suggest we all get over it and solidify the Democratic Party or the Nation and Global Economy will see another Great Depression!

July 13, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  3. lampe

Anderson, when are you going to let Clinton supporters on your show. Everytime I watch all I see are Obama supporters. Just one time on your show or on your blog, I would like to hear people refer to The Clintons, with some respect, without all The Obama,supporters crying cuase she beat up on their little boy, what part of politics do they not understand, this is not romper room, if Obama didn't want to play hard ball he should not have entered the game. What was Sen. Clinton supposed to say about him. Oh I just love him, he is the best man for the job. Oh yes,even though he has no experience he will be much better for the job, than I would have been. Please don't make me laugh so hard I might make wee-wee in my pants.

July 12, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  4. cassie

Many,many Clinton supporters have simply switched off their televisions and specifically CNN. I only check Anderson's blogs because in my heart I believe he is still fair. I do not understand Anderson having Carl Bernstein as a contributor; and Donna Brazile and Roland Martin in my opinion do not understand the message of MLK. They have lessened themselves across the world. Roland seems to espouse some religious base. It is strange but it is not journalism.

July 12, 2008 at 7:33 am |
  5. Trasa, Tx

lampe:

I understand you don't like Obama and that's fine, but you don't need to make sly comments like fist bumps and corn rolls. Sounds racist which you may not be, but lets put it on the other foot. I mostly see comments from pasty white people who sound jealous because none of their "WHITE" candidates in the past had any "SOUL" to bring to the election. It takes a brotha to bring some excitement into the political election, doncha think? Why is it that when we finally get a black candidate, you make him sound like he's the antichrist and will bring hell on America and can't do anything? I'm sure Obama was raised like me and majority of black people I know and that is you will always have to work twice as hard as the next fellow just to prove yourself to the "typical white" people who think you can't add. At least Obama didn't arrive where he is riding on the wings on one's husband legacy. Don't get me wrong, Hillary is great and hope she runs again, and if not, wish her all the best. You'll probably say I'm racist and to some degree I am in the sense that I know we have moved forward as a country, but I still know I will still be discriminated against not because I'm black but also because I'm a woman, so I have to work even harder.

To get back to the topic, Chelsea is great as her mother, wish them the best in any future endeavors. I don't see her doing politics, she may go out and help the less fortunate, but then again, who knows what the future may bring.

July 12, 2008 at 7:12 am |
  6. Bhaskar

Even today she appears better than that empty suit. I don't even know what that empty suit stands for other than two words hope and change.

July 12, 2008 at 5:02 am |
  7. Karleen

Tara Wall is such a pro Obama supporter her fair and balance commentating was so unjust I can't believe CNN is still trying to pull the Clinton's down. They might as well be FOX News. Tara Wall is demeaning on her comment that she was so surprised that Hillary was able to articulate her ideas and how to carry them out that she actually found her self listening. Wow a black professional women commenting on one of the top 50 Lawyers in the US when Bill was running, a senator of NY, and the first women to run for pres in the US. A can't believe she doesn't realize how sexist she sounds and just idiotic. CNN get fair and balanced commentating not offensive people like FOX.

July 12, 2008 at 12:41 am |
  8. Esteban, Daly City, CA

For those of you that say that the Clinton era is over should learn from Washingtonians. Remember they re-elected the mayor who got video tape smoking crack cocaine. You elect the best man or woman for the job not because of his name or color of skin, otherwise we will be talking to ourselves on the street, "we got screwed but we elected a more colorful president". How pathetic is that?

July 12, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  9. James Dylan

I am a few years older than Chelsea so in many ways I've grown up with her, watching her. I can only compare my views of her like that of an older brother seeing his younger sister grow up and become a woman. And a proud brother she has made me. Silly, I know, but nevertheless the feeling is there. I love her soft spoken intelligent demeanor, her love of her family, country, and the people in it. I would wish her good luck in what ever she chooses to do with the rest of her life, but she doesn't need it. She has seen the benefits of hard work with her own eyes; embraces it and with that shows us all. I guess thank you is the proper response.
    Should she not wish to fully venture into the world of politics, and all the attacks that come with it, I would completely understand. What big brother would like to see that? But should she; well, my admiration can be attained in a great many places.

July 12, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  10. Pat

Two people who raised a Gem like Chelsea couldn't possibly be as despicable as the Clinton Haters believe they are. It is very apparent that Chelsea was raised in a loving and respectful environment. Children who are not do not show the loyalty, love and respect for their parents that Chelsea does. A Child can't feign such feelings in public.
    Whatever life course Chelsea decides to follow I wish her well and have every confidence that she will shine and succeed.

July 12, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  11. Karleen

Chelsea is wonderful and intelligent and is such a genuine person. She could totally wipe-out anyone she would run against. She's got Hillary and Bill as parents! She has a demeanor that appears to be such a real good human being than most with that kind of background. Pretty amazing and she is very personable and a great strong female example for females, like her mom.

July 11, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  12. lampe

I hope Chelsea Clinton does run for any office she wants to. She probably knows more about politics, than Obama knows just from being around her parents. And I think with her it would be nothing but CLASS. (ie) no fist bumps or corn rows. I not sure why I waste my time with CNN they blog nothing but PRO-OBAMA crap.CNN and THE DNC stole this race from Sen. Clinton. I bet you won't let this blog on.

July 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  13. Bill from Alabama

Why comment?........No matter how good they are you just remove them if they aren't pro-Obama. Just as you have removed all of my comments thus far....and I had some great ones earlier,today,that could not have possibly been conceived as inappropriate. You only post things that promote Obama. CNN is about as pragmatic as a cobra. .

July 11, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  14. john f

you go girl!!

July 11, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  15. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Tom, don't you have to be some what Raw in politics?, I don't think Chelsea turn out like that.. she seem sweet & not in to the raw stuff.
    see* u

July 11, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  16. Annie Kate

Chelsea Clinton was very impressive as she campaigned for her mother – smart, articulate, gracious, but firm in her boundaries. I was delighted to see how she had turned out, so to speak, and to see the relationship she has with her parents. Whatever course in life she chooses I'm sure she will be as impressive in it as she was on the campaign.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 11, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  17. Bill from Boaz, Al.

American hearts are certainly swolen with pride,at the intense campaign this young lady waged on behalf of her mother. Her contributions to this campaign have been enormous. Chelseas' strong character and determination is a testiment to the above average parenting of Hillary and Bill Clinton. Chelsea,will no doubt have America behind her,no matter what her aspirations are, for the future. She is a true Clinton! Unstoppable! A true champion of the people! An example of all that is good about " young" America!

July 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  18. jt

I see another Senator.

There is nothing wrong with that.

July 11, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  19. HRC and Bill

Winners never do quit! Thats why the Clintons have been successful.

July 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  20. sean Damson

chelsea, You should run for president someday.

July 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  21. Sara

I hope Chelsea Clinton decides to get into politics at some point. We need bright young people with fresh ideas. The Republican party especially needs young people with fresh ideas.

July 11, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  22. Susan

Tom:

Chelsea Clinton is a very bright young woman. Why would she ever want to go into politics ? She saw first-hand what both of her parents were put through. Former President Clinton & Mrs. Clinton did a great job in raising their daughter out of the political spotlight. I believe that Chelsea will remain a private citizen ( not unlike Caroline Kennedy ).
    She has a good job with the hedge fund group Avenue Capital and is enjoying her life as a private citizen.

If I re-call correctly even when she was on the trail with her mom, she did not even talk to a nice guy like you.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

July 11, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  23. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

I sure hope she doesn't. The Clinton era is over and should stay that way. The Kennedy’s, Bush, Clinton all turned being a politician into the family business. I think it’s weird. The same old folks always being elected does not represent democracy at its best to me it represents a dynasty.

July 11, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  24. EJ (USA)

Do you really need 3 different blogs on this Tom? Just curious.

July 11, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  25. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

Chelsea may be the next best thing since sliced bread but I think America needs a break from the Clintons right now. If she decides to pursue public office in the future, that is her choice and hopefully she will be judged on her own merits and not just assume some sort of preference because of what her parents did.

July 11, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  26. Cindy

I think that Chelsea did great on the campaign trail for her mom. But I don't think she has any aspirations of her own to get into it.

Although she saw all of the great things that go on within politics she has also lived through the horrible. I just don't see her as one that would want to live through it again. I think that she will go back to her private life and that we won't hear much from her if any at all.

Cindy...Ga.