July 11th, 2008

Afternoon Buzz: Clintons Never Quit

Barclay Plamer
AC360° Senior Producer

Since his famous last-ditch speech in New Hampshire, where he asked voters to give him a second chance amid questions about his marital fidelity and draft record, and where in a ragged, hoarse voice he vowed in 1992 that he would fight for voters "'til the last dog dies," Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary have fascinated and beguiled Americans.

And they still do.

Hillary Clinton ran a flawed, but history-making campaign for president - the first woman ever to run all the way through the presidential primary season, and to draw 18 MILLION votes doing it – more than any other candidate in history, except MAYBE Barack Obama. There's still a dispute about that.

Tonight on AC360, Anderson and our correspondent Tom Foreman capture just what it is about the Clintons that fascinates, endears and enrages so many Americans.

What is it?
One clue: it's that fire in the gut, that deep determination NEVER to give up, evidenced that night in 1992 when Bill Clinton was sick as a dog and many had written off this small state governor's campaign...and now, in Hillary's operatic campaign that took her from inevitability to defeat, even though she somehow, like her husband, defied the odds until the end.

What else has ennabled the Clinton's to capture our imaginations, even after defeat? Tom Foreman can tell you. Tune in tonight on AC360 at 10PM. And see his blogs on it, here on this site.

Thank you.

Filed under: Barclay Palmer • The Buzz
  1. Delphine, Netherlands.EU

Still not recovered from Hillary's loss 🙂
    Of course 'they never quit' but at last we got rid of them and it's time to start a new chapter, sorry Anderson...but ahh well, she can still try to run (and waste some money...) at the age of 72, so keep on dreaming!

July 14, 2008 at 6:01 am |
  2. Franco = Vienna, Austria

(Roch) You are right on about the Clintons. However, MONEY does talk and we have not seen the last of Billy and Hilly. Tom Foreman and Anderson Cooper THANK YOU for this report. Obama is indeed a gentleman and he is handling them correctly. What surprises me is that you did not have a person who looks at "body and facial" language on the program to analyze and comment on this part of the Clintons. Congratulations once more on a superb portrayal. Is there any way of knowing how many Americans watched the program? It would be interested to have a honest poll report about this from someone like John King or Bill Schneider.

July 14, 2008 at 4:38 am |
  3. Muldfeld

This is irrelevant journalism - sensationalistic and not what America needs if it is to survive.

July 14, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  4. Kris in NM

Saw that most polls have Obama/McCain in a dead heat in the past few days. I also noticed that CNN's election center page hasn't been updated for 10 days. Tough to share the bad news of how bad Obama's doing, isn't it?
    The Clintons, particularly Hillary, will rise again, because she is the best candidate. You ignore PUMA members at your own peril. This is the real election story- about people taking back their own party and insisting on expressing their political views. Why is CNN so reluctant to give credence to a true political movement- a true grassroot movement at that. And no, Virginia, we are NOT Republicans! We are Clinton Democrats, see you in Denver.

July 13, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  5. Sue

It doesn't do any good for me to leave a comment. Not being in the long CNN line to kiss Obama's butt. Stateing that I don't now or ever will trust or like the CNN golden boy just gets dumped. I have said before if the media had stayed out of the primary he never would have gotten where he is today. He has no experiance & can't be trusted to do anything for anyone but himself. After reading a couple of his books I am sure if he wins the White House in November this country is headed to civil war. So just dump this comment like you have all the others. CNN is so sexist & one sided it is a joke.
    Sue in Texas

July 13, 2008 at 3:03 am |
  6. lampe

Jes, I am so glad to hear that someone else besides me that is a Clinton supporter, feels the same way I do. These people are living in a fairy world if they (DNC, CNN,and MSNBC) think for one minute that The Clintons or their loyal Followers are just going to disappear into the night. I watch CNN everynight just to hear what kind of crap their airing. I wish for just once they could get people on who are not backing Obama, and know what the real truth is. This election was stolen from Sen. Clinton,and for that the DNC and all the Dems. that turned their back on them shall pay. I will not vote for The Golden Boy in Nov. one way or another my voice will be heard. McCain\Clinton 08

July 12, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  7. Sheron-OH

I need a better statement from anyone on this internet –then simply say HRC was the better candidate. The better candidate would have known not to take anyone lightly and then produce a campaign to belittle the less intelligent people in order to gain ground. Im sorry but to say well I have the uneducated group is sad–and then pit the color race and blame it on Obama. If that is the better candidate wow we need to elect Hitler–Clintons will do whatever and tried to do whatever after their idea of deserving of the candidacy was about to go up in smoke. Even to the idea of the Obama backing was not as good as her backing–and I say again who was the better candidate to split the races rather than bring them together. NO have I have see the light with the Clintons and like Rev Jackson –they have had their limelight it times to get out the way.
    For if the Clintons were so well rounded and Democratic-Gore, Kerry would have and should have been moving forwarded. So lets not now claim that the Clintons really being Democrats–no they are just self centered egotisica lawyers.

July 12, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  8. Sheron-OH

As we speak of Rev Jackson time and place, the time and place has come and gone for the Clintons.
    If we did not see the real picture of the Clintons in the primary -in them feeling they were owed the candidacy–Im scared for American politics. We as a people will continually hold on to the rhetoric of the Clinton and the Bushs, but we want Obama to be held to a higher standard. Instead of pulling together to ensure that the BUSHs get out of office we seem to want to focus on the greatness of the Clintons–I dont want the greatest of a President I want a great President, but the Democrats are so stuck on the Clintons they are failing to realize that the Bush-McCain can and will set this country at its knees whie we argue over the Clintons Greatness in the Clintons mind.

July 12, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  9. cheryl

was killed in June, which leads me to believe that June for her is August. Hillary or Bill could care less about Obama and that picture is very clear.

July 12, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  10. cheryl

I once had a lot of respect for the Clinton's, but during the primaries I really saw how through them dirty politics are played. Hillary started out winning and now that she has lost everybody' else to blame but her and her campaign.

She took for granted that she could not be beat because her name was Clinton, but she had a rude awakening. Now that she has lost she and her husband feels like Obama owes them for being the Clinton's, she nor her husband can ever convince me that they support Obama no matter how much they smile, she might be smiling but at the same time she is sticking a KNIFE in his back, after all she did say that RFK

July 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  11. Christie - Scottsdale, AZ

"As I recall when Bill Clinton was president the country had a peace and prosperity."

I'm sorry, but no we did not. Bill Clinton had a small country bombed while he was in office. There was a terroristic attack on a US ship while Clinton was in office.

Bill Clinton cheated on his wife in one of the most sacred rooms of our nation and then denied that it happened – on TV. That lie was a slap in our face. I look down on Hillary for staying with him after he not only cheated on her, but also lied to the nation that she 'loves'. I feel like she stayed with him only to save and advance her political career. I have no respect for her and I do not trust the Clintons.
    I am a registered Republican voter, but because of my disbelief in McCain being able to help this country get through the war and the recession, I plan on voting for Obama as long as Clinton is not his choice for vp.

July 12, 2008 at 9:51 am |
  12. Mary

I watched the special on the Clintons late tonight on a rerun. And as usual, felt CNN did not treat the Clinton fairly except for their daughter. I was disappointed with the report.

July 12, 2008 at 3:23 am |
  13. minta

You bet your buttons-–the Clintons don't quit!!

Rally on Clintons--show them how it is done!

July 12, 2008 at 3:19 am |
  14. keain

You dont never her the media talk about how MCcain primary race the media is always on Barack Obama this storie sounds a little confusing to me because why we are still talking about Hillary Clinton primary race against Barack Obama just listen closely to the story it sounds to me there trying to bring Barack Obama down in I think thats very sad.

July 12, 2008 at 2:25 am |
  15. Alex

I am absolutely shocked with Obama's vote on FISA, I will not support Obama, I hope the delegates pick Hillary at the convention

July 12, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  16. J.V.hodgson

Dear Mr. Palmer and Colleagues,
    I think you are correct in that the Clintons never give up. I remain convinced she will call the roll at the upcoming convention based her "experience" and "poular vote count," "Female" and "blue collar support ".The objective would be to close out Obama so that she can run again in 2012.
    Neither HRC or Bill care about how divisive that would be even if as is likely would lead to democrats losing the best chance in many years of a democratic Presidency and Senate majority.
    I believe therefore Obama should name his VP at the earliest opportunity and behind the scenes offer a Labour and Health supremo job to HRC on condition of no Roll call. Both of which Obama should make Public. The when she rejects that even the democratic waverers or I'll vote McCain voters or I'l still vote HRC or I'll stay away voters will see exactly what she is up to. If she accepts then her supporters should accept as well.
    All of us and the Media should back off this matter and the silly gambling game you have "VEEP Stakes" and recognise it is Obama's decision. I still think Gore is the best VP choice and Powell for defence, if they would accept .Unlikely in both cases unfortunately.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

July 12, 2008 at 1:28 am |
  17. nanao

I' M TIRED OF THE CLINTONS AND THE DRAMA that they bring. Obama is so calm and his family seems stable.
    Please can we get rid of all this conflict and let it go.? Let the man choose his own VP he will look the stronger for it.

July 12, 2008 at 1:26 am |
  18. tlintx

2 hours, all you did was regurgitate the first hour. The only good thing was Bill Clinton waying, Never quit." We won't

July 12, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  19. tlintx

Give Tara a one-way ticket back to sexist MSNBC. Of course, CNN would go to the gutter to get someone.

July 11, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  20. Wille

Free of speech my left butt chick... what's up with this awaiting moderation crap? maybe it has something to do with the CNNOBAMA channel u work for.

July 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  21. tlintx

Hillary does not need to be his VP. DO NOT ACCEPT. As William Bennett said, "The White House is not big enough for 3 presidents". There will only be 2 Bennett, Bill & Hillary, Obama is not presidential material.

PUMA

July 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  22. Pat

Obama has shown more than once over the last few weeks the extent of his weakness. Instead of standing firm on his beliefs he has allowed Dems and Repubs to bend and shape him to fit their own needs. He didn't even try to stand up to them. Sad.

Just like many commented during the Campaign All Talk, No Courage, No Substance, No Patriotism and one desire, to be given Power he can do with what he pleases. And his supporters fell for it all. It won't be long before you regret your choice and realize you will have to live another four years under the Bush with a different name!
    Hillary had it all but the Media ensured she would never get the chance to prove it !

July 11, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  23. Wille

I won't be voting in the selected candiate of the DNC. I will be voting for McCain and waiting for Hillary Clinton on 2012

July 11, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  24. Mary

Hillary supporters remember we must hold our vote if Hillary Clinton isn't on the ticket and cast it for McCain. We must stay united on this.

July 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  25. A Girl from SC

Senator Clinton won the election.

She had more votes from the people.

Obama held Florida and Michigan voters in his pocket the whole election. Fighting against the people's voices of two states that mattered just to give himself "bragging rights" ' I'm the winner, I am the one with the most states, I have the most delegates.

It was a scam, hands down.
    It was not fair for the American people either. For Obama not to stand up for the American people is what is the most unfair.

Obama keeps talking change, change what? Is he changing his mind all the time.
    The cruel and vicious reporting from the media and the smooth talking interviews with Obama were also a major factor in this campaign.

this was the most unfair reporting I have seen in my entire life.
    It was disappointing and at many times rude and nasty about the Clinton family.

This family should only be praised. Clintons are loved by millions throughout the world.
    The younger generation has no clue as to how popular and might I say brilliant they are with the ins and outs of Washington.

It's just a disgrace.

July 11, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  26. Mary

The Clintons are great Americans and have done great things for America and around the world. Bill Clinton continues to do great things around the world. We love Hillary Clinton and feel strongly that the democrat party had everything to do with Hillary not winning the nomination. We still support Hillary and will only vote for Obama if Hillary is on the ticket as VP. Other than that I will vote for Mccain and I urge all the disinchanted Hillary supporters to vote for McCain. Please don't fail to vote that will not show your support for Hillary, instead you must vote McCain to make your voice heard clealy.

July 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  27. Kiki

This was such a great special report, I completely enjoyed it!
    A few points:

He cannt win without her.
    The clintons will be back.
    I ish Chelsea runs for office in the future.

btw, the democractcs made a mistake this year, i hope they are ready to lose this year.

July 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  28. Lynn

I hope the Clinton's will never quit. Someone has to bring the Democratic Party back to it's senses. Imagine sponcering a totally unqualified candidate for the most important job in the world. Absolutely crazy. Clinton's . . . we miss you, hurry back!

July 11, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  29. Paul

Anderson,
    That was a very interesting story you did about Hillary. It was very balanced and captivitating. The Clinton will go down in history as the political family of the century.

Kudos

July 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  30. Robin

Hello:

I will be looking out for your your sequel, "The Clintons Oughtta Quit," which I suspect will come some time just after whatever upstaging events these two plan for the DNC convention.

July 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  31. jes from Canada

Hi lampe, I am once again trying to make contact with you to say I too am not an Obama supporter. I have commented several times that the CNN reporters & contributers should wear their "I kissed Obamas BUTT live on CNN" shirts. This comment is never posted. I wonder why?

July 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  32. jes from Canada

Here in Canada we have an ex Prime Minister Paul Martin who many referred to as "Mr. Dithers". Barack Obama is the USA "Mr. Dithers". GO Clintons take it to the limit!!. By the time Denver rolls around everyone will recognize the flip flop hither dither artist Obama aka :Mr Dithers.

July 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  33. lampe

The Clintons have been the best thing to happen to this country in along time. All you Clinton haters had better hope you -man is half as good as them. In my eyes Obama could not make a patch on The CLINTONS backsides. And you also better hope and pray that you boy has The Clinton supporters in his corner, because without their votes he will just be another loser. CNN is the #1 Clinton haters on the T.V. I dare you to let this make it on your blog, but us Clinton supporters know that the chance of our voices being heard here are SLIM TO NONE.

July 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  34. David NC

Biil Clinton feeling are hurt because of Hillary's loss? His head should be hanging down in shame for the degrading things he has said about Obama. Hillary's continued ruthless conduct during the campaign towards Obama went on long after the writing was on the wall. Now they expect Obama to crawl to them for their 18 million votes and to help pay off their debt. He is being the gracious gentleman that he is and still it is not enough. He is a better man than me.

Perhaps his conduct dealing with the Clintons shows how Presidential he can be dealing with difficult foreiign leaders!

July 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Diane

The Clintons are the best thing that has happened to this country, Bill was a great President and Hillary would even be a better President. The DNC wants to crown NoBama the winner of the primary....Howard Dean and the DNC will go down with Obama in November...........Obama will NEVER win the GE!!

July 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Jo Anne Cummings

Whatever you feel about the Clintons they are good democrats and true to their party. I consider myself in the "most American" group and have respect for their efforts, I do not find them "disgusting" by any means. I do wish however, people would not try to speak for "most" of us.

July 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  37. Roch from Missouri

I have really been shocked and disappointed with Bill Clinton. However, being raised by a southern grandmother who always said to watch and listen carefully and the truth will be revealed. She would not have been excited by Clinton the first time, she would have said let's wait and see. I was hopeful he was showing his true face but, there was always something I could never put my hands on that made me uncomfortable with his so called charm.

I've waited and now I see the real deal.

July 11, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  38. daily

I hope Bill Clinton never gets behind Obama after the horrible disrespectful way both he & Hillary were treated by the Obama supporters. He should walk away with his dignity intact. Obama is not worth the sweat off his brow. I hope that if asked by the Demo. party to support Obama he & Chelsea give them the middle digit and he goes on his way making speeches around the world especially here in Canada. A year from now when SNL etc. start doing skits about Obama the flip flop artist Mr. Clinton can laugh along with the rest of us while thinking "I told you so".

July 11, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  39. Carol

An hour of the Clintons?

OMG, unless some Clinton supporter breaks into my house, ties me to a chair and holds a gun to my head to force me to watch........ no 360 for me tonight.

If the Clintons "fascinate, endear or enrage" the public, you may put me in the enraged column.

July 11, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  40. Teresa, OH

@ED: and what, pray tell, have the other candidates done?

@Annie Kate: I agree wih the Clintons having empathy for others. Even thought they have money, one gets the impression they dont flaunt it. Some politicians say the words, like McCain, but I just dont feel like he cares. I'm still out on Obama, I think he only cares about the lower class folks and that leaves out alot of other people... people who contribute alot to taxes.

July 11, 2008 at 8:46 pm |
  41. Deb n Texas

As far as I am concerned, the Clinton's are finished. I really don't think Hillary could win another Senate race – she is finished. Most Americans don't have respect for these creatures anymore. They have shown just how ruthless and power-driven they are and that is disgusting to myself and most. I use to flick the remote and when I would see the Clintons, I would always stop. Now, when I look at the news channels and their faces appear – I change the channel immediately. I am not alone with this attitude.

July 11, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  42. Michael Lyon Alvarez

Hilary Clinton was awesome in her campaign. It showed America what it looks like when a woman does what she does, a remarkable job. I was sad that she declined to run any longer. It sickens me that one at times, has to rely on others like.
    For example, I while being back in NM, working on my memoir, and not in CA, or anywhere else, wanted to do some singing at my f church.
    Well, the people "over the praise and worship" area of service have changed to a young, immature, egotistical and ugh, group of KIDS! So, I was so upset that when I approached them, they were so uncaring and quesitonable and frankly, sick.
    It made me so mad. Yes, I would be great, and yes, it is my church, but I don't know for how much longer, now.
    I can't wait to get back to work, and really can not wait for my life to really and trully begin.
    This phase of high gas prices is bunk as well. But, I DO predict it will begin to lower in a couple of years.
    Enough, feeling crazy about something I know I need to be more mature about and understand. Sorry.
    Hilary, you always have my support.
    You and Bill do your thing. Your a treasure and I love you both, you have made it in my book, and I will honor your decisions. I pray for your support system, and hope that you are steadily inclining in your later life and going upward in your veiws on choosing the right people around you.
    Funny how so many can be around, yet not one person is trully concious if they are on your side or not! That makes it a little scarry.
    Hello, Bill Clinton, Mr. Clinton!
    Love
    Lyon

July 11, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  43. frank from SF

Dear Clinton Haters- As I recall when Bill Clinton was president the country had a peace and prosperity. The Republicans tried to impeach Bill because of an extramarital affair technically none of anyone's damn business. Bush and Cheney lied about the reasons for going to war. How many people died because of that lie. If you ask me Bush and Cheney should be impeached for war crimes. As for they will do anything for money. B.S. The Clinton had little to no assets when they left the White House and have made money from speeches and books. Good for them. They also gave a significant amount of money to charity.
    Maybe you should think before you talk about something you know nothing about.

July 11, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  44. Emma

"Why do they never quit – M-O-N-E-Y"

I disagree. The Clintons make more than enough money right now. I don't believe Hillary wanted to be President for financial gain. I genuinely believe the Clintons care about this country and this is why they'll never quit.

July 11, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  45. Mala Palit

Yes, this is the typical CNN slime, I am just about fed up with their one sided reports. The media created barack Obama, and the media should take responsibility for another four years of ruin if he wins. CLintons have their problems, however I think most of the hatred created against them is once again mostly media created. Perhaps Ed can explain if Bill Clinton has in any way done anything personal for the venom he spewed. Yes he has a problem with women, however he did not send the country to war on a whim. During Clinton's Presidency, America was a world power, admired by one and all. One thing Clinton understood very well is in order to retain power and economic dominance for America, there needs to be peace and prosperity all over the world. He encouraged it, and was seldom divisive, the way the current administration is divisive. I would say Bill CLinton's Presidency was one of the bet ones in the past 30 years.

July 11, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  46. Annie Kate

Barclay

I'm looking forward to this report. One thing to me that I have always liked about the Clintons, especially Bill, is their empathy with people. After the horrible bombing in Oklahoma City with all the loss and grief, Bill Clinton visited with the victims' families and as you watched his one on one demeanor with each person it made you feel just a little bit better. Reagan had this gift too and no matter how bad things seemed Reagan and Clinton could with a few words and their demeanor give comfort and support to so many people. I guess you would call it the "feel good" factor. That to me has always been part of the Clinton appeal.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 11, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  47. Alonzo Shannon

Why do they never quit – M-O-N-E-Y

July 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  48. Ed

"SLICK WILLY" Clinton and his crybaby wife may never quit but
    both of them were, are and always will be nothing but the worst
    kind of slime! They will lie, cheat, and steal whatever they can
    just to be able to have the power that comes with the office of the
    president

July 11, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  49. Sean from Orlando

The Clintons were not toppled by Obama, a lot of dems I know here plan on voting for McCain becuase he was hand selected and did not really win. If he had actually toppled Clinton, there would not be so many of her fans that still do not want to vote for Obama, and with all his recent flip-flops people are really starting to see Obama as the lair that he is!

July 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  50. jt

Hillary is a better choice for sure.

Hillary will be back.