July 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson and Erica are off tonight.  Campbell Brown and Randi Kaye are filling in.  Be sure to check them out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Linda, Los Angeles

So glad that the Benets were cleared. Too bad that the mother passed before this came out.

July 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. La Mar Mn

Wow does not seem like its been this long since the ramsey case

July 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Cindy

So the Ramsey's were finally cleared. I never thought they killed her. They were too doting on her IMO.

Cindy...Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Cynthia

David G, I heard something about their son being in Iraq – can't remember if it was something he mentioned or the news media.

July 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Michele Glaser

Too bad the DNA clearing of the family came after JonBenet's mother died of cancer never having been truly trusted about what she said.

July 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Gary

These folks were villified in the press...so sad.

July 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Cynthia

I agree Michelle, I have never understood why they would call him an elitist.

July 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar

I hope that police will really person be caught, The Ramsey cleared by the DNA today. I felt relief the Ramsey are not their suspects. I am so pray long time. they are so suffered lost their daughter long time. I accepted apology from Colorado lawyer of this city.

July 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Ann E (NC)

In the JonBenet case, does that mean that the family could not be involved at all or is it just saying that they didn't physically do it? IT's a very odd case and has been botched from the beginning... does anyone here think that it'll be solved??

July 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Bobby A

What took so long in the DNA's testing in the Jon Benet's case.
    Bless the family, they have endured much.

July 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Hannah Storm

It is so sad that Patsy did not survive to see this vindication

July 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  12. david gergen

Hello again - Your blog postings tonight should be required reading for Jesse Jackson. I was especially appreciative of several of you who are black speaking so candidly about your concerns about how to build stronger families. This is a question, as a good many of you said (black and white), that now faces us as a society without regard to race or ethnicity.

It also helped me before going on the air tonight about the Obama family interview to have read your comments from last night and early this evening. Many of us seem to agree: once is fine but twice would be too much.

Because it gets so lost, I do want to put in one final plug for John and Cindy McCain and the way they have protected their son from exploitation. I was with them last summer soon after they learned their 17 year old - instead of going to college - had signed up for the Marines, a sure ticket to Iraq. McCain as candidate could have exploited that on the stump but he didn't want to go there out of respect for his son's privacy - and safety.

Good night to one and all.

July 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I just don't understand it! I have to be pretty mad at someone to say I want to cut their nuts off. Really mad. I can't help but think that Jackson's feelings go way past one or two speeches Obama has made. There is some deep resentment there.

July 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Michelle in Los Angeles

One time was great, Obama,his wife and daughters speaking- the kids were cute. Oh and Happy Belated Birthday Melia.

The girls showed they are just a normal family, and their father just happens to be running for President. It speaks volumes about him and Michelle and their parenting and family values. How people could say he is an elitist is beyond me.

Changing topics, As for Jeffs – tell us when he dies, thats news. A special helicopter to go to an upscale hospital, Wow I bet there are a lot of convicted criminals that would love to be treated equally.

July 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Kimberly

Warren Jeffs obviously can't handle not being worshiped by people who obey his every whim. He is pathetic and weak. It is too bad the people in the FLDS "religion" don't see him for what he is so they can open their eyes to the truth.

July 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Marla OK

Rev. Jackson seem to believe that telling AA dads to be responsible is talking down to them. Obama should be doing this more often.

July 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Cynthia

Just think of how those young girls had to feel being forced and brainwashed to marry those old geezers.

July 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Shea,North Carolina

Warren Jeffs is getting what he deserves, after what he has done to those young girls. How do people get brain washed to believe someone like that?

July 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Michele Glaser

The prison did exactly the right thing with Jepps. Had they not procured the best care and something serious did go wrong, they would have made a martyr of him.

July 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

@Hannah. Good point. I just caught a bit of Sen. Obama's remarks on parenting, but I felt he was talking about parenthood generally, too. I had that thought.

July 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Melinda

Cindy – I don't recall ever seeing a candidate without his kids on the trail for the presidency. Actually, he is introducing his kids later than most do. He is, then, careful about how to do this and his wife is too.

July 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Cindy

Well Jeffs wasn't that bad if he is back on his way to jail.

Cindy...Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Susan - North Haven,CT

After all the things Jeffs has done, I have absolutely no sympathy for him. I'm glad he didn't die because he deserves to live a very long life behind bars.

July 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Larry

Even Jackson Jr. threw his dad under the bus; Obama needs to dump Jesse's endorsement.

July 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Tom F

The fact that US troops are already in two theaters of operation (Afghanistan and Iraq) INCREASES the danger for Iran if military action becomes necessary.

The military will have to use more powerful and destructive bombing measures before sending in ground troops than would be necessary if more troops were available. So the Iranians should not kid themselves, they would be annihilated.

July 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If Jeffs wants to kill himself far be it for us to stop him.

July 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Kathy, Chicago

I agree, David, the kids are adorable, but they should be at home.

July 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

Oh! Jeffs is already back to hospital in Las Vegas today. I doubt that he will not live or die.

July 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Kimberly

Now we are accusing Obama of flip flopping because he regrets letting his children do that Access Hollywood interview. What parent hasn't regretted some decision that they have made with their child. Do we really need to micro-analyze everything?

July 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Kevin C

I think Obama's kids wre a good way to help introduce him to folks who are suspicious of him.

July 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Lynn, Vancouver

Of course Obama regrets that he can't have a family interview without the media going on a feeding frenzy. For example, it is getting more play tonight. Anice, balanced American family is what I see from this intervire.

July 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Shannon

I think that he regrets that the cable news over analysis of the interview! I can see that he does not want them to be asked to do hundreds of interviews.

July 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Linda, Los Angeles

I think the interview cute, but I also understand why he thinks it was a mistake. The publicity and by that I mostly mean that the interviewer was giving interviews to everyone.

July 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Julie- Toronto,Canada

I am sick and tired of hearing about Hillary and her supporters trying to hijack Obama for something. She created that debt on her own. She should have left the race earlier. If Obama picks Hilary as a runing mate I will loose all respect for him. In my view he will be a weak leader that bows to pressure. Hilary is way too Polarizing. I think she would be more useful in other roles.

July 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  35. keith in Baltimore

I disagree with the "off mic" stuff. As someone famous once said, "there are no mistakes"....no fruedian slips....."oops, did say that on or off mic?".

July 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Heather Spokane, WA

I dont think Obama should regret showing his kids on tv. They are great kids and he should be proud. It showed that he is as normal as we are and they are a close family.

July 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  37. La Mar Mn

Loved the Obama family interview once is enough at least for a while

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Vicky of IL

Mr. Obama's political advisors are brillant!!! They put the "family" out there on a very friendly interview and give the American public a great picture of a "traditional" family. They even pointed out the fact that Mr. Obama is just an "average" Joe...the real kind of guy who does not really give much attention to fashion and not even interested in"shopping" for new clothing. What a brillant political ploy!!!! Great politics for a guy that is not just a "politician".

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Caren, Los Angeles

Randi, we like the pics- it's much easier to spot ya'll on the blog! And, yes, more personal!

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Perhaps Obama should ask the media to stop showing the interview over and over. If he feels it was not a good idea, then it should be shelved.

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Hannah Storm

yes Campbell and David should get pics.

I think people just went so overboard in regards to this Access Hollywood interview. I have been enjoying this look at this family dynamic. Malia and Sasha are just great girls. If nothing else you can not say that Barack and Michelle are not doing something right with these two girls. I will be watching the next 2 nights on Access Hollywood. I do agree with David Gergen, once was probably enough though

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Shannon

I think it was great that the kids did the interview!

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Shea,North Carolina

I thought Obama's daughter was cute and very well spoken for her age. They are just a normal family. This one interview doesn't mean they have to be in the spotlight all the time. The press/media should leave them alone. It was a one time thing.

July 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Natalie

I just don't understand what is wrong with these black leaders. They seem out of touch because as a black woman I am glad that Obama is giving us some straight talk to help our community. Obama didn't say only black men do for your childern he said fathers, all fathers, all colors. I think the so-called black leaders of today are really, really out of touch with this generation. Jessie put a sock in it.

July 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Cynthia

I loved the interview with the Obama children and would love to see more, but understand the Obamas decision.

July 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Tom F

Iran is only a threat because Jimmy Carter's foreign policy failure there allowing the Ayatollah to seize power. Obama is from the "Carter school" of foreign policy.

We cannot afford to repeat the mistake of underestimating our enemies.

July 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Kit

i agree with corey. obama's plan might not be flawless but it is definetly an improvement on the bush administration's dangerous policies.

July 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Cindy

So now Obama is flip flopping on his girls being on TV!! Does he ever make the right decision where he doesn't have to change his mind!?

Cindy...Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  49. randicnn

hi Hannah.. thanks for noticing the pic.. one of my super senior producers made it special for me.. more personal, eh?
    we're trying to convince Campbell to get a pic too.. don't ya think she should have one on the blog?

July 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Shea,North Carolina

Jessie Jackson keeps saying how sorry he is and wants Obama to forgive him but what he is really saying is that he dosen't regret what he said he just regrets that he got caught!!

July 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |